Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/03/12 02:53 AM

That is a pretty cool vid...
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/03/12 02:57 AM

looks like dick got treed.
Posted By: bobs66440

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/03/12 03:03 AM

That was cool! The commentary is hilarious! They really didn't do burnouts like they do today
Posted By: bcrproducts

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/03/12 04:01 AM

Used to street drag there some 25 years ago as well as fly RC pylon racers. Cool place for a dragstrip but it never panned out permanantly. I had lunch with DaGrump and Modello over Joes wine some years back and the stories they told--bloody amazing. Those guys are gone forever and racings heros will never be the same I am afraid. So much character and innovation back then--total jelousy.

Greg
Posted By: 383man

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/03/12 05:47 AM

That was great. Never seen that one before. Ron
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/03/12 05:58 AM

So who won the best of 3?
Posted By: topside

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/03/12 05:00 PM

Pretty amusing stuff, esp. Jenkins driving back down the track to yell at the starter.
Maybe the announcers were trying to be funny, but they came off as idiots.
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/03/12 06:28 PM

Quote:

So who won the best of 3?

Scott, It may have been Dick. He says it was in the open meet. He won the 2 of 3 Watch around 10 secs into the vid. Landy also says what cubes he was thinking about. A few mopars in this vid, stock class, but beatin up the other lane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXwFlDTEHEY
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/03/12 06:35 PM

About a 1/4 way through a book that just came out called "Grumpy's Toys", by Doug Boyce. Well worth the $. Drag racing lost a special guy when he passed. Many cool pics in the book - several at the now defunct Beeline Dragway in AZ. I always give a salute when I drive by the old timing tower.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/03/12 07:23 PM

That was awesome!

Did they really do that much dicking around back in the day? Boy there was a lot of dry hopping, and short launching going on there. Looked like Dick went way right when the front end came up.

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/03/12 07:56 PM

Quote:

That was awesome!

Did they really do that much dicking around back in the day? Boy there was a lot of dry hopping, and short launching going on there. Looked like Dick went way right when the front end came up.

-- and all those grudge races ( and match races for that matter ) always went 3 rounds .
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/03/12 10:04 PM

Quote:

That was awesome!

You have to remember that no matter who won or lost they were both paid to be there and put on a show. Since there were only a few national events, match racing is what paid the bills. People would show up to watch because that may have been their only chance to see the big guys. No 25 nationals a year, and TV coverage wasn't much to speak of.

I saw Jenkins twice, once against Glidden at US 30, and against Ronnie Sox in Dean Thompson's Mustang at Assumption.

Match racing was great for spectator turnout, but it sure was a PITA if you happened to be there racing.
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/03/12 11:50 PM

The funny car dry hops were the best. They could make them dance.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/04/12 12:32 AM

Quote:

The funny car dry hops were the best. They could make them dance.

Especially when the 'Coca-Cola Cavalcade of Stars' was in town with 64 cars.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/04/12 03:33 AM

Quote:

Used to street drag there some 25 years ago as well as fly RC pylon racers. Cool place for a dragstrip but it never panned out permanantly.

I raced there 25 years ago too!!!
The movie my Demon was in - Tail Lights Fade - had the race scene filmed at Boundary Bay Airport Road, and the movie "Born To Run" with Richard Greico has all the street racings scenes filmed there as well....

Posted By: B Dartman

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/04/12 03:50 AM

If you like Funny Car dry hops simply type OCIR in the youtube search. Plenty of footage from Orange County International Raceway

For example....The Snake
Posted By: 1964superstock

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/04/12 05:05 AM

Quote:

About a 1/4 way through a book that just came out called "Grumpy's Toys", by Doug Boyce. Well worth the $. Drag racing lost a special guy when he passed. Many cool pics in the book - several at the now defunct Beeline Dragway in AZ. I always give a salute when I drive by the old timing tower.

I agree, I have the new book "Grumpy's Toys" and have really enjoyed it. To my surprise, there is a large amount covering his years with Dave Strickler. Very cool photos. Lots of 1964 and 1965 when they were working for Chrysler. Very cool era of racing....the best in my opinion. Simpler times back then, refreshing to look at compared to today.

Attached picture 7488227-Grumpy.jpg
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/04/12 03:13 PM

A grudge race and a chevy! And not one complaint wow cool vid.

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/04/12 04:25 PM

Quote:

No complaints here. The chevy won 1 out of 3. The duster being about 800 lbs heavier has a harder time hookin up
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/04/12 05:05 PM

I did a TV shoot at WGN in Chicago last month for the MCACN show and one of the cars there was the same Grumpy Vega! They fired it up during the shoot and it still sounds mean. I got to take a close look at the car and the present owner explained what all the "special" Grump stuff was on it, he was Da Man for a Chivvy head...
Posted By: unknown

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/04/12 10:17 PM

I second that the commentary was hilarious, man I think these guys missed their calling. They should have done stand up comedy or at least open mic night. Landys car sounds wicked, love those old pro-stockers. Looks like Landys car went to the right and got way out of the grove.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/04/12 10:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No complaints here. The chevy won 1 out of 3. The duster being about 800 lbs heavier has a harder time hookin up

. You do mean the dodge dart..lol

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/05/12 12:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

. You do mean the dodge dart..lol

Yeah Mopar.
Posted By: Race&Resto

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/07/12 05:11 AM

Now that was a cool video!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/07/12 02:13 PM

That was back when "grudge" racing was fun to watch. Nowadays it's 3 months or more of trash talk, what seems like 30 minutes of staging after the burnout, then a quick pass.

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/07/12 03:29 PM

One things for sure, Ma Mopar screwed up big time when they didn't sign the grump to a racing contract in 66. They had the chance and blew it. He was a big thorne in their side from then on.
Posted By: hemicop

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/07/12 04:10 PM

I actually preferred to go to the match races than the big events. They ran whatever they felt like, which, if you watched closely in the pits & paid attention, usually meant stuff that wasn't NHRA legal so you could see what did & didn't work. Big inch motors (for the day) weird engine set-backs, and experimental engine pieces were all commonplace back then & many things are now considered standard on today's racecars---I.E side-mounted carbs, oversize fuellines, crank-triggered ignitions were allused on these early P/S cars & today we EXPECT a racecar to them!
Posted By: chryco

Re: Landy vs. Jenkins grudge match....awesome footage - 12/08/12 11:43 PM

Excellent old videos !
Thanks !
chryco

© 2024 Moparts Forums