Moparts

Crack block dang gone it !

Posted By: VernMotor

Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 01:14 AM

Well I was going to use this Block. it had real good sonic check numbers..put it on the stand and was check it out. this is what I found !

Posted By: DusterDave

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 01:19 AM

Look at it this way. Better to find it now, before you sank hundreds of dollars of machining work into it, only to find the crack afterwards.
Posted By: 69dart

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 01:20 AM

Wow - good eye!
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 01:49 AM

I wouldn't discount that one just yet, that can be repaired.
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 01:52 AM

Water glass?
Posted By: nss guy

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 02:08 AM

double check the area around the main cap webbing also

another weak spot for stock blocks

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 02:11 AM

Bill that is the one we was looking at the numbers we liked

Jim it is a std bore stock motor never been in a race car. But I look at it..

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 03:09 AM

Quote:

Bill that is the one we was looking at the numbers we liked

Jim it is a std bore stock motor never been in a race car. But I look at it..

I think the other one is equally as good.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 03:15 AM

I'll take it off your hands.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 03:18 AM

why not buy a new block? why start with a 40+ old foundation.

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 04:03 AM

Quote:

why not buy a new block? why start with a 40+ old foundation.

If I had your money I would do that ! LOL

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 04:05 AM

Quote:

John I got 70 bucks in it. come pay me and take it away.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 04:05 AM

weld it up. its outside
Posted By: d-150

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 04:16 AM

weld repair and run it, specially since it checked out on the cylinders

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 04:17 AM

Quote:

weld it up. its outside

That's so easy to fix it isn't funny.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 04:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

John I got 70 bucks in it. come pay me and take it away.

I would put the freeze plugs into it and then pressure check it I've seen casting flaws that looked like that, no leaks. I have also seen casting flaws that did leak Most cracks don't go in circles

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 04:22 AM

Well I am not sure I know anyone who I would trust to weld cast. and who is to say that it is not crack more inside ? maybe I will take it back up and have it magaflux . make sure there is no other cracks.
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 04:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

weld it up. its outside

That's so easy to fix it isn't funny.

Investigate further

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 04:41 AM

I have welded a few blocks on the outside, even new ones. we put them in the mill to lighten them up and sometimes you go thru! just weld them up and keep going.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 04:51 AM

Quote:

Well I am not sure I know anyone who I would trust to weld cast. and who is to say that it is not crack more inside ? maybe I will take it back up and have it magaflux . make sure there is no other cracks.

That looks like a frozen block crack. If thats the only crack it can be welded rather easy. But, Id be looking for other cracks as well. another weak spot is in the intake vally. Check closely in there as well. If the block was full of water and freezes it cracks pretty easy in there.

The crack or damage you show now could of been just residual water that didnt drain out of that area and may be the blocks only damage. If so, like others have said , easy fix. I can weld it for you.

Question for you. You stated on another post that you were testing several blocks, like 7 or so, I think. Were any of those blocks .040 over? If so Id be interested in one.

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 05:00 AM

Find the end of the crack, drill a hole to keep from cracking any further, grind the crack (V it out), Find a local welder with some nickle rod, end of story.

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 05:02 AM

Quote:

Find the end of the crack, drill a hole to keep from cracking any further, grind the crack (V it out), Find a local welder with some nickle rod, end of story.

c'mon you got to pay the guy when its done!
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 05:05 AM

now that's funny rite there, i don't care who u are. mr. ritter is bringing me a new block. it's only money, can't take it with u.

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 05:20 AM

Hey just laying here watching the news and just a thought but a "short fill" would probably take care of that too. I don't fill my blocks but a lot of guys do.
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 05:35 AM

Quote:

Terry Neer over in Dublin, Ohio welds blocks for a living. 80% of his work is on Hemi blocks.Neer Welding 1-614-873-0969. Tell him I sent ya.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 05:45 AM

Stich pin it. Easy fix, IF that the only crack.
Doug
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 07:37 AM

Test,test,test before fixing anything automotive I do have a 440 block in the shop now that was frozen and broke, the drill and stitch method was used to fix it I've had several 906 heads fix that way also under the center exhaust ports, that works very well
Posted By: jdfpam

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 08:07 AM

I agree with Doug 100%. The threaded pin method works the best in my shops experience. Block filling only will not work.

Jeff
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 12:18 PM

Quote:

Most cracks don't go in circles

It looks like somebody heated the block to get the drain plug out. When the block cooled it's possible the contraction of the metal made that style of crack.
Posted By: joshking440

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 02:21 PM

I happen to own a 318 that had almost the same crack. We ground it clean and JB welded that baby. That was in 1988 when we couldn't afford a free lunch. Still have that motor and it still runs with zero problems
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 03:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Terry Neer over in Dublin, Ohio welds blocks for a living. 80% of his work is on Hemi blocks.Neer Welding 1-614-873-0969. Tell him I sent ya.

I was just there, had him touch up some damage on the front of a T56 viper transmission. Nice guy, nice shop, easy to work with.

He only takes cash or check, but I didn't find that out until it was time to pay. Told him I'd have to come back. as I was heading out the door, he asked "are you going to take the part?!" he let me take the repaired piece home without having paid anything yet. or taking my name. or taking my phone number, or anything. I could have never returned to pay.

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 03:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Most cracks don't go in circles

It looks like somebody heated the block to get the drain plug out. When the block cooled it's possible the contraction of the metal made that style of crack.

I wonder about this also. I might have done that. But it has been years ago.. I do not remember.

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 03:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That looks like a frozen block crack. If thats the only crack it can be welded rather easy. But, Id be looking for other cracks as well. another weak spot is in the intake vally. Check closely in there as well. If the block was full of water and freezes it cracks pretty easy in there.

The crack or damage you show now could of been just residual water that didnt drain out of that area and may be the blocks only damage. If so, like others have said , easy fix. I can weld it for you.

Question for you. You stated on another post that you were testing several blocks, like 7 or so, I think. Were any of those blocks .040 over? If so Id be interested in one.

I have 3 blocks I going to sell. I know you like later date blocks. I have a 78 that I have not posted yet. but here is the first one I posted last night. need to scroll down the page a little to see it. it is .030 over..

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...;gonew=1#UNREAD

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 03:34 PM

Quote:

I agree with Doug 100%. The threaded pin method works the best in my shops experience. Block filling only will not work.

Jeff

I had a Old 1930s inline 8 cy block fixed like this.
You was not going buy other one LOL

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/02/12 06:07 PM

Quote:

I can do a dye penetrant check for you and it wont cost you diddly.
Posted By: Blown 68 R/T

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/03/12 01:42 AM

I was also wondering if he had it welded and then put a short fill in it.
Posted By: poppaj

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/03/12 02:08 AM

Jamie,
Have seen them cracked that way before, usally it comes from being frozen solid and freeze plugs pop and the section around drain plug heaves a little and cracks. It is a easy fix, but make sure to mag it there could be others not visable. poppaj
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/03/12 08:43 PM

Is most of his Hemi work Iron or aluminum ?

I have a small concern on a iron Hemi block - I don't think it is a big deal but I would like a expert to look at it
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/03/12 09:23 PM

Shot blast it, pin it, test it, build it.
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/03/12 09:48 PM

Quote:

Shot blast it, pin it, test it, build it.

My sentiments exactly. There's no need for welding if a quality stitch pin is used. I would be magging the inside of the block before i did anything though.
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/03/12 11:41 PM

Quote:

Is most of his Hemi work Iron or aluminum ?

I have a small concern on a iron Hemi block - I don't think it is a big deal but I would like a expert to look at it

He has done 4 OEM blocks for me and he also does a lot of aluminum blocks. On my blocks he has fixed lifter bores and where the rods come out , here and there. Give him a call.

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/04/12 01:26 AM

So I assume Pin fix is better because there is no heat involved ? If I was needing this block I would do more with it. But I have 7 blocks here 4 of them test good. so I am going to move on and use other block. I have 3 blocks for sale and does not seem like anyone is interested in them.So I can not see any reason to spend any more money on it. If someone would like to have it. I sell it for what I got in it.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/04/12 03:30 AM

Quote:

So I assume Pin fix is better because there is no heat involved ? If I was needing this block I would do more with it. But I have 7 blocks here 4 of them test good. so I am going to move on and use other block. I have 3 blocks for sale and does not seem like anyone is interested in them.So I can not see any reason to spend any more money on it. If someone would like to have it. I sell it for what I got in it.

Vern,,,first rule of selling::: "If it ain't good enough for you, it probably ain't good enough for the buyer".

Re: Crack block dang gone it ! - 12/04/12 04:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Vern,,,first rule of selling::: "If it ain't good enough for you, it probably ain't good enough for the buyer".

If I was close enough and did a quick inspection I would buy it in a second for the offered price. That's about a 30 minute fix if I would count the time it took me to have some coffee too.
© 2024 Moparts Forums