Moparts

Cobra Jet hits wall ..

Posted By: bigdad

Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/19/12 11:48 PM

Must of went brain dead and turned right with wheels in the air ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAJ9NHPPywA&feature=player_embedded

In car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kPq9SdUrVtw
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/20/12 12:15 AM

ooooooops.
Posted By: bobs66440

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/20/12 12:24 AM

Yeah, oops is right. The tires don't get much traction in mid-air.
Posted By: grncpe

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/20/12 12:25 AM

1 thing I noticed if you watch when he comes down he is in the left lane,so he over corrected & BAM! The in car cam looks like after he corrected he turned back to the left but that thing was just sliding.I just ran @ cecil sat. It hooks but is a bit tricky with the new surface.What I got out it was @ least the other driver didnt get taken out by that
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/20/12 12:32 AM

He pretty clearly keeps the hammer down and grabs another gear when its spinning and basically on top of the center line. Decent pedal job in the air, driving after landing leaves something to be desired.
Posted By: Lil Demon

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/20/12 01:31 AM

Looks like his front wheels are turned right while in the air. He lands and it goes right.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/20/12 01:43 AM

He was trying to turn in the air which was his big mistake.
I dont know what he was thinkin'
Keep steering wheel straight in the air and all would have been " A OK".
Posted By: actionange

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/20/12 01:55 AM

Quote:

He was trying to turn in the air which was his big mistake.
I dont know what he was thinkin'
Keep steering wheel straight in the air and all would have been " A OK".

And you know this why?

Oh that's right you're Gandhi
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/20/12 02:11 AM

It look like the front wheels are straight in the first vid before it came down , It looked like to me that he came down across the center line and then proceeded to crash the car
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/20/12 02:26 AM

This is not complicated. It appears from the outside view he has the wheels cut right when in the air and leaves it that way when it hits the ground. Guess what the tires hit the ground it turns.

Then watch the in car. Yep right on turns the wheel right in the air and never straightens up before hitting the ground.

It's a mistake none the less that is what happened.

Sorry to see anyone have a wreck.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/20/12 02:28 AM

the thing I notice is the RPMs went over 8k, so if it would have been a gen 3 hemi it would have smoaked some rod bearings
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/20/12 02:35 AM

Wow...that made no sense at all. What a shame...
Posted By: earthmover

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/20/12 02:38 AM

Quote:

the thing I notice is the RPMs went over 8k, so if it would have been a gen 3 hemi it would have smoaked some rod bearings

Ok i know how that ghuo. Lol
Posted By: oldtimer5151

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/20/12 03:01 AM

My 383 had to run a blue cobra jet on its first pass. We treed him but only saw the back end at the finish. MY car runs 6.80`s and go to you tube 2012 super cobra jet first pass down the track. He had added after market add ons after the bought it. Hard to beat Money, but we tried.
Posted By: poisondart2

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/20/12 03:42 AM

Quote:

Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/20/12 04:00 AM

Silly Ford guy, You can't use front wheels as a rudder

J/K, hate to see anyone wreck
Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/20/12 02:36 PM

i cant believe he didnt say anything.... if it was me it would have had to been edited...
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/21/12 01:26 PM

Way too many drivers just don't know when to lift. The instant you feel anything out of the ordinary, the run is junk. And now so is the car.
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/21/12 05:10 PM

When you put an in-experienced driver in a car over his head that's often the result. Compound that with a spool and he has even less chance, because the spool ends up steering the car, often straight into the wall (sometimes several times). As expensive as they are, Detroit Lockers or locking diffs go a long way in being able to save a crossed up car, because you can actually steer the car once the diff unlocks. I've broke several axles (at the spline) and never even got out of the groove, running Detroit Lockers - try that with a spool.

Not trying to start a big whizzing match, just putting out a little info to consider when buying parts.
Posted By: mbogina

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/21/12 05:17 PM

I don't know the circumstances that caused the problems with this run, but Steve is an experienced driver, having raced Super Gas and Super Comp for several years, and his current Mustang is one of the quickest and fastest cars in Comp Eliminater (twin Turbo), I believe I saw him run 6.40's at 220 at Indy 2 years ago. He is also the president of Aeromotive fuel systems and has been involved with drag racing for many years.
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/21/12 05:23 PM

Quote:

1 thing I noticed if you watch when he comes down he is in the left lane,so he over corrected & BAM! The in car cam looks like after he corrected he turned back to the left but that thing was just sliding.I just ran @ cecil sat. It hooks but is a bit tricky with the new surface.What I got out it was @ least the other driver didnt get taken out by that

Pretty much it. Here's another view, showing the car landing out of the groove and then hooking right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=vZ5adzoqxxs
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/22/12 04:04 PM

Quote:

sixpak why you always hatin

No mystery you can see in both videos he turned the wheel to the right while in the air
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/22/12 04:09 PM

I don't care which way he had the wheels turned when he was in the air when that thing came down IN THE OTHER LANE he should have LIFTED...

Oh well, just a 100K lesson learned...
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/22/12 04:17 PM

Quote:

I don't know the circumstances that caused the problems with this run, but Steve is an experienced driver, having raced Super Gas and Super Comp for several years, and his current Mustang is one of the quickest and fastest cars in Comp Eliminater (twin Turbo), I believe I saw him run 6.40's at 220 at Indy 2 years ago. He is also the president of Aeromotive fuel systems and has been involved with drag racing for many years.

He posted on YB when they posted the vid there. He admitted his mistake and did not seem real concerned about it. His car, his money, no big deal to him.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/22/12 06:54 PM

Funny as I just saw the car at a body shop not far from my home and I just now realized its this car. They said it something like car # 46 ? I dont know how many they built anyway. I noticed the track looked like Cecil and of course it is. I had stopped at the body shop to see a friends Camaro they are working on . Its a shame that happened to that car but I agree he should have lifted. There is always another race. Ron
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/22/12 07:01 PM

I've seen some guys lift for a money street race that was worth much more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ than that Cobra. It's not like it was the finals at the Nationals or some thing. Lucky he for his safety.
He can now order #47 off the line.
I've lifted a few times once my car got drunk and out of the groove, and my car only lifts the front end with a photo shopped out car jack underneath. LOL
Truly, Its like going from molten lava to Ice skating ring with no banister.
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Cobra Jet hits wall .. - 11/23/12 03:47 PM

Quote:

I've broke several axles (at the spline) and never even got out of the groove, running Detroit Lockers - try that with a spool.

What kind of axles are you breaking?

Attached picture 7473210-Launch5-22-11.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums