Moparts

Installing Degree wheel...

Posted By: edp

Installing Degree wheel... - 11/05/12 03:34 AM

when setting up to install the degree wheel how are you guys keeping the motor from rotating around while getting it tight enough to rotate it in reverse? Is everyone doing this with the pan off so you can block the crank to the block or is there a better way, I of course already have my pan on & I own a shi**y impact gun so I cant just run it down with that.
Good ideas anyone?
Thanks ,Evan
Posted By: JD Dart

Re: Installing Degree wheel... - 11/05/12 04:01 AM

Impact gun I just use saftey wire and adjust it so it reads 0 at TDC
Posted By: 1moparcrazy

Re: Installing Degree wheel... - 11/05/12 04:04 AM

put two bolts in the rear crank flange and hold a bar between the bolts while tightening the front.
Posted By: Cuda367

Re: Installing Degree wheel... - 11/05/12 04:09 AM

I never try to turn the motor over with the front bolt. Three or four bolts in the rear and use them to turn motor while degree in cam and returning to TDC. frt bolt comes off by hand and now can check balancer.

Re: Installing Degree wheel... - 11/05/12 04:20 AM

cool, I like the 4 in the rear idea, finger tight on the ft bolt seems a much better idea. Whats the size & thread count of the rear bolts, anyone know off the tops of their heads?

Thx!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Installing Degree wheel... - 11/05/12 04:41 AM

Invest in a degree wheel socket... makes life much
easier.... I use the Comp cam one but this is the
Powerhouse one

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pow-pow103070
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Installing Degree wheel... - 11/05/12 05:21 AM

Quote:

Three or four bolts in the rear and use them to turn motor while degree in cam and returning to TDC.

So what ... you have another guy stand at the front to watch the degree wheel while you turn it at the back ?!?!?!?
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Installing Degree wheel... - 11/05/12 05:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Three or four bolts in the rear and use them to turn motor while degree in cam and returning to TDC.

So what ... you have another guy stand at the front to watch the degree wheel while you turn it at the back ?!?!?!?

thats what i was thinkin,or use a mirror.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Installing Degree wheel... - 11/05/12 05:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sure will be a PITA... just get the right tool

Re: Installing Degree wheel... - 11/05/12 06:23 AM

Quote:

Powerhouse one

Ok thats interesting, didn't know they existed. I can see the keyway slot but not much else, looking at on phone... Hows it turn?

after looking at it on my computer I can see how it works now, the thing that annoys me more than anything is not having to buy the tool just that I cant go anywhere & pick it up. No speed shops anymore or real tool dealers, all online only.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Installing Degree wheel... - 11/05/12 07:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Powerhouse one

Ok thats interesting, didn't know they existed. I can see the keyway sbut not much else, looking at on phone... Hows it turn?

after looking at it on my computer I can see how it works now, the thing that annoys me more than anything is not having to buy the tool just that I cant go anywhere & pick it up. No speed shops anymore or real tool dealers, all online only.

I use the large end of a half inch extension stuck in one of the balancing holes on the front crankshaft counterweight and turn the crankshaft over so the extension rests on the oil pan rail of the block , tighten the bolts and set the TDC pointer as needed. I do get the degree wheel close before tightening, adjust as needed If I have one head setting on the motor I have used a spark plug compression hose and scerw in fitting that I can apply air into the cylinder and then use the air pressure to hold the crank Lots of ways to get the job done
Posted By: JBurch

Re: Installing Degree wheel... - 11/05/12 12:54 PM

I had a crank socket made, actually 2, one for assembly to turn the crank while installing pistons/rods; the other is for degreeing the cam. They are broached to slide over the key on the crank snout, and no worries about the crank bolt backing out.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Installing Degree wheel... - 11/05/12 01:02 PM

The Moroso wheel is too small imo, I don't use it. Got it in a E bay deal, it's a extra.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Installing Degree wheel... - 11/05/12 01:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sure will be a PITA... just get the right tool

tere is no substitute for the RIGHT tool,store bought or home made
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Installing Degree wheel... - 11/06/12 01:30 AM

Hold the crank from the back and tighten the degree wheel down.
© 2024 Moparts Forums