Moparts

New engine combo for the B-cuda

Posted By: Leon441

New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/29/12 12:42 AM

Just bought a pile of parts from Bondobob.

Some day once I get the car fitted for the R5P7 combo and make new headers I can get the engine back together. Looks like I have something to do this winter.

After a two year break it will be good to have a car back together. A 358 wasn't exactly what I was looking for but it should get me back to racing and the local cruise ins.

Leon

PS picks to come
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/29/12 02:28 AM

Good luck with it.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/29/12 03:44 AM

Is it the combo that dropped a valve? Building it for spray?

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/29/12 02:37 PM

Yes, it is the engine that dropped a valve.

The heads were repaired and new pistons ready to go in. Fixing the engine should be fairly easy. Hope I am not hitting the eight ball saying that.

If I had a later A-body this would be a breeze. But, no the headers are in the frame rail. So I am going to have to start that over. My tranny needs to move up due to a pan clearance issue with the rack. This is not a huge problem but I needed to raise the tranny anyway. So this means redoing the transmission tunnel and raising it up. My engine compartment is much smaller. The frame rails are two inches narrower and the radiater sits four inches closer to the firewall. So mounting the drysump tank is a little difficult and using any of the old plumbing is going to be a real stretch.

Like anything you do there is always issues. The reason this particular engine was so appealing was the heads are larger than any I have seen. A custom oil pan, and headers that fit. Not to mention Bob had done a lot of homework on making the engine more drag race freindly. But, that is part of what killed the valvesprings and broke the valve. Bob fixed the small valve stem issue and now all it needs is a valve spring that can do the job.

A 358 NA screamer was the last thing I had on my dream list to put in my car. But, I just could not afford to start from scratch right now. I really would like a 440 cube shortblock ready for tons of spray. I acquired a nice fogger and plate setup in the deal but there is no way in He.. this engine can take a regular dose of spray. Not saying it will never happen but highly unlikely as a 5.90 index only requires about 700 HP and this little engine can make a lot more than that NA.

But, you never know both Bob and Josh want me to run in the heads up Mopar deal. I took a butter knife to a gunfight for years and competed in KOS. I took a single shot saturday night pistol in the later years and won a lot of races. I have not forgot how to win. It takes money and/or a lot of work. I have a lot on my plate and no where near as much energy as in the old days. We will just have to see how this goes.

If my kids can get more familiar with what goes on and can help more we could be a very hard competitor. That just take time and pateince. I have little of both these days.

Leon
Posted By: Dave W

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/29/12 02:51 PM

Now you have two new babies! Leon, can you pm me your phone number? I lost it and would like to give you a shout. Thanks buddy!

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 12:11 AM

After getting well rested. I moved some things around. The headers fit with absolutely no room to spare. Some mods to the firewall and a new tunnel. Raise the tranny to fix the driveshaft.

And this is what she will look like.

Leon

Attached picture 7440306-IMG_2529.JPG

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 12:12 AM

I told you the headers are close. A match book will not fit between #7 and the frame rail. This will get some adjusting.

Attached picture 7440309-IMG_2530.JPG
Posted By: BPE

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 12:50 AM

I can't wait!!

Rod

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 01:06 AM

If you know the details you can see I can't wait either. After I know everything fits then the real work begins. Gotta love learning a new engine. I know absuletly nothing about these engines. And this one still needs some fixing. Just so releived the headers are gonna work. Bob had already done the worst of the repairs. So should not be much trouble. Can't wait to hurt some feelings.

Leon
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 01:13 AM

Damn, that thing`s mean lookin...........
Posted By: LA360

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 01:47 AM

Thanks for posting the pics, it's confirmed one thing for me, my master cylinder isn't going to fit in my junk when I do the same conversion!
Keep us posted on how you go!

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 01:56 AM

Don't let the picture mislead you. I was going to have to really change things around. With the engine in original location. The dry sum was going to have to be reconfigured to move the pulley back. Was going to have to redo the drive pulley setup and move the water pump. And the nice headers Bob had made were not even close to fitting.

My tranny has been in a funky position for years. With the tall rear tires the driveshaft was really uphill in the car. So I raised the tail shaft and then started shoving the engine back until I had the room up front. Had not done this before as I was using a firewall mounted master cylinder when the old engine was mocked up. I had a huge cap on the stock distributer and could not move the engine back.

All this means is I have to rework the firewall opening and make a new transmission tunnel. But, this is easier than making headers. This oil pan is a Charlies custom Bob had done for his Demon and it has a step in the first section to clear the rack and K-member. I would like to have more step in the pan but it is just gonna have to work where it is. I have enough to do as it stands.

Leon
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 02:02 AM

Posted By: Dave W

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 02:18 AM

Engine definetly looks impressive between the frame rails. It was good talking to you today Leon and I'll take a look in my notes for those specs. Talk to you soon..

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 02:35 AM

Mike, you wouldn't happen to have a 50" 1350 driveshaft you wanna part with would ya. I hate to send the one I have off to get shortened.

Leon
Posted By: stevet340

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 02:41 AM

Looks good! I Can't wait to see some time slips! I hope it runs better and last longer than it did in Bobs car. Keep us posted and good luck.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 02:44 AM

looks awesome

what size header tubes?

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 02:49 AM

Steve, Bob shifted at 6,600 way below the power range and ran a 5.80. So I have no complaint on it's speed.

Bob was on the way to making a lot of changes on this engine after the valve broke. IMO he went in the right direction. Should not have any future trouble.

The headers tubes are small. They are stepped and tri Y. I think they are 1 5/8 when they come off the cylinder head. But, to be honest have not measured to see.

Leon
Posted By: rickraw

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 02:49 AM

x2. looks impressive.

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 02:52 AM

Thanks for the compliments

Good thing I have all winter to get this done.
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 01:54 PM

Quote:

Mike, you wouldn't happen to have a 50" 1350 driveshaft you wanna part with would ya. I hate to send the one I have off to get shortened.

Leon

Leon, sorry I don't have anything. Good luck with the new combo.
Posted By: sdaurity

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 03:14 PM

You staying with the glide or going back to a 3 speed?

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 06:29 PM

Currently staying with the glide. Would love to try a Protrans but, a new one is just not in the cards.

Leon
Posted By: STEFF

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 08:35 PM

Pretty Cool Leon!! Didn't he have an M & M Tunnel Ram on that thing?
Posted By: W5DART66

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 08:47 PM

Quote:

Pretty Cool Leon!! Didn't he have an M & M Tunnel Ram on that thing?

It did but that Davis intake made as much power and more TQ .
Posted By: 340B5

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 10/30/12 11:59 PM

I could listen to that engine all day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVHRwhP3b04&feature=share&list=ULBVHRwhP3b04
Posted By: gearjammerdart

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 11/01/12 03:49 AM

Leon, looks good, glad to hear you are getting the car back together.

Donald
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 11/01/12 03:58 AM

Leon glad to hear you are getting it back together. Good luck with it. Looks forward to seeing the progress and results.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 11/01/12 04:10 AM

I keep thinking air shifted 5spd when you are talking about a motor like that in that little A body! Man that thing should be a blast. What did the old PS Trucks run for transmissions?
Posted By: DakFink

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 11/01/12 11:03 AM

Leon,

Glad to see that engine finally found a good home.

Too bad Bob couldn't ever get time to use it himself. I know he's been busy with his shop.

Now I just hope he gets my chassis done sometime this year.

Kenny B.

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 11/02/12 01:59 AM

Pro stock truck ran Liberty's and a couple G force trannies.

No way I would air shift. Too much money spent not to enjoy shifting.

I would gladly take a donated Liberty, Browel bell and double or triple clutch set up.

Or even a Pro trans.
Posted By: duster400

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 11/02/12 03:26 AM

Hey buddy, good to see you getting back at it. Remember if you need help, ask. I may be able to get out to help.

Anthony

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 11/25/12 01:46 AM

Still fitting everything around the R5P7 combo. Here is a pic from underneath been making the exhaust work with what I had.

Leon

Attached picture 7475096-R5P7exhaust1.JPG
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 11/25/12 02:23 AM

looks good, you get the headers in the deal?

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 11/25/12 03:15 AM

Yes, Bob had built headers for his duster. They did not quite fit my car and where tri-Y. Had change a couple tubes to make them work. Plus sense they were Tri-y the primary tubes did not have to be perfectly parallel to slide a 4/1 collector on the primaries. I bought the 4/1 collectors and had to make them fit. Along with some big alterations to make them work with my current exhaust.

This is probably going to be louder than what I wanted but, it is what I already had. If it does not work out I will get another set of collectors and do a X style exhaust. Just don't want to sink a lot of money into the small style exhaust when I plan to build a larger engine with larger exhaust later on.

Leon
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 11/25/12 05:02 AM

Nice purchase. I did not know Bob was officially selling the old motor, it really made some good power and his latest changes look real promising. Have some fun with it now.

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 11/25/12 06:25 PM

Should be pulling it and the transmission out this afternoon. Going to take advantage of an extra hole my bellhousing has up top that torqueflites do not. Already marked just need to drill and tap the adapter plate. Also got to profile mill the adapter a little around the transmission to help clear my firewall tunnel area.

Pretty sure what Valvesprings and retainers I want to run. Will know for sure this week. I may be using a different piston that is nitrous freindly. Have not made the decision for that part of it yet.

Leon

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 03/10/13 03:21 AM

Several months later and still finding gremlins.

Was not satisfied with the adapter plate. I had to redo my firewall and tranny tunnel to accomodate it. Looked into other options like custom flywheel and plug and redrill a bell. Nothing happened there. Drilled and tapped the twelve O'clock hole as the JW bell has it. Took the 3/8 to 1/4 reducers out at 11 and 1 O'clock and machined the adapter for 3/8 sockethead screws. Will leave the bolts out of those postions on the bell as I am using the 12 O'clock bolt. Drilled the hole out for the 7/16" on the PS which had previously been left small. Still looking for a better way to handle the 7/16" on the starter side. May just stay with Bob's design with the 5/16. The dowels to go into the bell were a shallow into the adapter to clear the dowels from the block. So I am drilling and countersinking 1/4" bolts to secure them from the engine side. That should really help the adapter.

Upon going through the engine noticed 1,3,5,&7 rod bearing wear. Upon looking further noticed .010" thrust clearance. For a new build with one pass this was not good. Found some rod bearings and Bob sent a brand new main bearing set to replace the thrust. HE GETS THE NICE GUY AWARD FOR THAT. He knew another guy running an identical tranny that burnt the thrust on a crank. So something was going on there.

Was really having trouble with the rocker arms and thought it was the longer valves. Later found that was not the case. Shimmed the stands and bought longer pushrods. And then found out that the rockers previously run were different lengths. Why T&D can not mark their rocker arms better is beyond me. The stands called for 1.850" rocker length and a few were 1.750". So after going through all the extra parts I ended up with 1.9 ratio intakes and 1.75 exhaust with the 1.850" length. Got quite a few rockers that are 1.75" long if anyone needs any. Then while switching things around stripped a hole in the head for the rocker stand. Guess what, the stand bolts were too short. T&D says torque to 65ft lbs. If I had, all the bolt hole would be stripped. I torqued to 45 during mock up and stripped one hole. Ole Helicoil fixed it right up. Got the proper bolts off a guy on Ebay and away we go.

I bought this engine over others for the heads and extras that Bob had come up with. I figured on some things I would want to change. Turns out they were things that had to be fixed. This is kind of normal for buying another guys stuff. Really looking forward to getting this thing in the car. Still looking for some different ratio rockers and a little shorter pushrod for the intake and a little longer for the exhaust. They are steadily showing up on Ebay. So that should come in time. Or if Ritter will call me back he problably has everything I need. T&D rockers have become scarce on Ebay for these engines.

All in all months down the road I would still have bought the engine. Maybe haggled a little but would have still bought it.

Hoping to get it running and make some noise. Would be nice if it has street maners enough for dragweek. Registration is coming soon.

Leon
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 03/10/13 04:33 AM

You have more patience than me Leon. Sounds like you are building a Pink Elephant.

Good luck and I cant wait to see what it runs
Posted By: SB449VALIANT

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 03/10/13 11:27 PM

It takes patience, knowledge and imagination, time, money...bla bla blaa.....lol. Trust me... Wana see a real pink elephant...!!!! Lol

Attached picture 7620891-image.jpg

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 04/07/13 12:39 AM

Ran it today first time out.

After several days of thrashing. Had to cut pistons for some plug clearance. OOOOPPPSS
Make a transmission tunnel and new exhaust system as the old one sounded horrible.

First pass 6.73@106. Shifted at 8K. Was ready to make a phone call and give the previous owner what for.

Then poked around and found number one plug needed to be indexed cause it was gapped -.002" LOL.

Second pass 6.4@114. Still pretty weak. Car spinning through low gear with horrible 60fts. I can work on that but 114MPH is no where near the HP the dyno sheet showed.

Third pass 6.22@115 shifting 8,500. Freind watched and said car was spinning pretty hard through first gear. Still no explanation for the pitiful MPH.

Fourth pass picked the timing up 4 degrees to account for the domed pistons that were not in it when it was previously dynoed. Left off the line car picked the front up and proceeded left. Carried it through the 60ft which was still terrible but the little engine was wanting to go.

Came back to do some adjusting sense the car had broke the link to the antiroll some time ago and had been fixed without setting up again. Was crawling around on the ground to make a quick adjustment when the track called it a day.

My converter is no where near as loose as what Bob had and I am running a glide. That said still hard to beleive this engine went 5.8 shifting at 6600. This engine does not seem to pull at all until it gets to 7,800. I thought my W8 hated low RPM, wrong.

Got a few things to do. Don't want to give up the performance but the 6.17 gear is not street freindly at all. I want to street this engine. SO a gear change has gotta happen. The owner of the track asked how the track was. I said it has to be fine the car goes down it on antique tires front first. I then reminded him how I got the tires back in 2008 and raced them most of the season in 2010. So gears, tires, some adjusting, and some more tuning and this little screamer should easily run the 5.95 index in bad air. That is all I am after at this time. And of course enough streetability for dragweek in september.

I have another carb to try, some spacers, rocker arms. I am running about .065 more lift sense I have springs on the heads to handle it. The engine may run better with less lift. Time will tell.

Main thing didn't break anything. The oil and water is still were it is supposed to be. And I am dead tired as I have not had this playtoy toghether sent this time 2011.

Leon
Posted By: BPE

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 04/07/13 01:21 AM

Way to go Leon!! Glad to see you get some seat time.

Rod

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 04/07/13 03:32 AM

Seat time

.028 light first run

.177 light second, just missed it, must have been star gazing

.015 third

-.003 last hit

getting right back into the tree
Posted By: stevet340

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 04/07/13 11:37 AM

Glad to see you finally made it out Leon. I'm sure with some more tuning and seat time you will get it in the 5's. Maybe Bob forgot to tell you he had a 200 shot of no2 when he went 5.85 shifting at 6600, or maybe his tach was a bit off or he ment 9600??? Good luck and keep us posted.

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 04/07/13 12:09 PM

There is a Utube video of his pass. I think someone posted the link in one of the early post in this thread.

I have no doubt the car ran the number as it is clear in the video. I was always suspicious of the shiftpoint after watching the video. With a 904 tranny and 8K stall I'm sure the engine will jump on out there especially running Q16. I am not planning on running Q16. Just too expensive and stinks up everything. Just going to have to sacrifice that 30HP.

Watching that video and after running the engine. If I had not been told any different I would have suspected he shifted at 8,600. A lot was going on he made that first pass then came back. The engine broke a valve in the staging lanes. Later they discovered the playback only went to 6,600. Anything is possible but, my guess is for some reason either a reset or fluke the playback just did not represent that run.

I know several people who ran W8 Comp motors with this HP in heavier cars that ran 5.4-5.5's with Proflite trannies. It is possible that my converter and tranny just kills engines like this one. I never ran to full potential with my 421 W8. But, it would run 5.95 bad plugs tons of timing pulled in low gear and shifting at 8K. By it's third pass when it was new it ran a 5.69@120. So I am a little dissapointed at the moment but, this engine has not been given a real chance yet. Another test and tune session and it should come right around.

Leon
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 04/08/13 04:13 PM

Leon my R5p7 motor has me going crazy,
I just ordered a 7"converter to stall at about
8500,going to try some 557gears, I use a 275/60
Radial, not tall at all, I'm hoping its enough. I drove
Car on street already ,will do exhaust when I have car
On lift doing converter n gears, I have no patients, but
I did get some seat time n data for new converter. I will
Run the number I want soon. Keep it going you will get
There.
By the way thanks for answering my nagging questions,
This motor has been an education.

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 04/08/13 09:04 PM

Car is too heavy for that motor and a 2 speed tranny.

If you want to go fast get a gear jammer in the car with 4 or 5 gears. Need to keep the R's up

How much fun would that be

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 04/09/13 02:15 AM

1027 Gough Rd.
Rustburg, VA 24588

A Browell aluminum bell for R5 with a Ford 8 bolt flywheel. All the best cross shaft designs please. A Liberty 5 spd face plated gears for street use.

Let me know when I can expect this as I will take car apart the weekend before.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Leon

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 04/09/13 02:18 AM

Great minds think alike Just what I was thinkin.
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: New engine combo for the B-cuda - 04/09/13 02:24 AM

© 2024 Moparts Forums