Moparts

Mopar mini starter suddenly doesnt work

Posted By: G-Money1320

Mopar mini starter suddenly doesnt work - 10/06/12 01:14 AM

I was trying to get my car out of the trailer last weekend after sitting in there since the Norwalk Mopar event and the starter just clicked like the battery was dead. After a quick charge it turned over real slow and erratically like the motor had a spun bearing. I never had an issue with this starter or any indication of it going bad and it was purchased brand new, Could it have gone bad all of a sudden like that?? Or could there be something else that might be causing the symptoms? Battery is good. Thanks.
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Mopar mini starter suddenly doesnt work - 10/06/12 02:15 AM

Is there a small plastic cover on top of the starter? If so, pop it off and check the nuts for being loose.

Re: Mopar mini starter suddenly doesnt work - 10/06/12 02:28 AM

No cover, it is the style with the slide plug for the small wire.
Posted By: cgall

Re: Mopar mini starter suddenly doesnt work - 10/06/12 01:41 PM

Clean battery terminals and check ground to chassis.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Mopar mini starter suddenly doesnt work - 10/06/12 02:54 PM

you need to take the starter off the motor, take the selnoid aprt, fix the contacts!!
a little aggravating, but will save you life time of issues
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: Mopar mini starter suddenly doesnt work - 10/06/12 05:41 PM

Quote:

Clean battery terminals and check ground to chassis.

this is one of the typical causes.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Mopar mini starter suddenly doesnt work - 10/07/12 02:28 AM

Quote:

you need to take the starter off the motor, take the selnoid aprt, fix the contacts!!
a little aggravating, but will save you life time of issues

Greg, my bet this is the fix. I'd be happy to take a look at it for you.
Doug

Re: Mopar mini starter suddenly doesnt work - 10/07/12 03:15 AM

Ok Doug, im hoping to get the car pushed out of the trailer tommorrow and start pulling the starter out. The battery connections are clean as I clean them up before hooking them up. The starter never even gave me an indication of anything wrong as it started the car just fine, even when I pulled it in to leave Norwalk. I didnt know if anyone had run into this with the mini's or not. Thanks for the input.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Mopar mini starter suddenly doesnt work - 10/07/12 03:19 AM

Pull the plugs, and make sure you didn't liquid lock the motor. Just a thought.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Mopar mini starter suddenly doesnt work - 10/07/12 01:20 PM

Before going to all kinds of work get a Volt meter.Hook it to the batt and have someone crank it.A bad battery will charge but not have enough to start the car.Ive seen new batterys that are bad.Easy to check.Just because you charged it dosent mean its good.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums