Moparts

Motorhome good or bad idea?

Posted By: FASTFISH420

Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/01/12 03:04 AM

I plan on getting my car back out next year and have a chance to buy a 28 foot motorhome.it is a gas fuel injected 460.I wanted a short one so it would be alittle easier to tow my 28 foot enclosed trailer.

I have a diesel truck which pulls it fine,but have always wanted a motorhome to stay in at the racetrack.Im not planning on towing very far..farthest would be around 3 1/2 hours away mainly flat ground.

just wanted to know the guys that have switched over if it was a good decision or not? would love to have a diesel pusher but not worth the added money to me and I can get this gas for a decent price..

Thanks guys
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/01/12 03:22 AM

I had a 91 class C 27' Ford Coachman 460 FI engine and it did ok as long as you were not planning on lots of hills. I live an area were I had to climb several steep hills and the speed limit was 25 mph going into the grade. My trans started acting up so I sold it as a Mechanics Special. I found a 25' class A 454 (2001) and the difference in power is almost unbelievable. I picked it up for 5000 dollars with 32000 miles on it and its in GREAT shape. My son just bought a 34' class A diesel pusher (airstream) with 24000 miles on it for 5000 dollars but it needs a little work. Make sure you drive it first to check out the power. Most of these motor homes will require some work on the rear frame area to beef it up some. I tow with my diesel truck unless it is a 2 or more day race. It sure is nice to have at the track.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/01/12 05:44 AM

Bought mine a couple years ago and cannot be happier. I really enjoy staying at the track, getting to meet and hang out with the other racers at the track is as much fun as racing itself.

We went with a deisel pusher as out here flat land is few and far between

Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/01/12 07:03 AM

I got a large toterhome with huge HP and I love it. So much so I don't want to sell it even though I don't have my 49' goose trailer anymore. It's so unquie and well built inside, so much more solid than a reg MH. It made going racing so much nicer and safer because I never left my racing equipment alone, like when we went to the hotel.
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/01/12 08:31 AM

I'm interested in this as well. I was thinking about this but a diesel truck vs a cube van. Maybe i should start a different thread so i don't hijack this one. I don't have an enclosed trailer, that's why i was thinking cube van.
Posted By: lowdeck68

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/01/12 08:45 AM

you probably want to check the the rated towing capacity. Most gassers are only rated for 5000 lbs. Fines are pretty steep if caught overweight, let alone insurance will run for the hills in an overweight accident.
Posted By: Gearhead383

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/01/12 02:21 PM

My trailer is a 28' enclosed also and I needed 10K towing capacity. That ruled out most of the class C motorhomes I was finding. I ended up going to a class A pusher. It already had a 10K hitch and no frame mods needed. Be sure you check the towing capacities before making a purchase.
Before we were using a slide-in camper in the back of a 1 ton dodge which worked well for many years. Then kids got bigger and more room was needed. Over all happy with the purchase. Mileage not as good as the truck, but we're hauling a much bigger "house". Good luck with your purchase!
Posted By: FASTFISH420

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/01/12 03:24 PM

It's a class A Fleetwood Bounder.the owner hauls a 30 foot enclosed with it and he said it does fine.I figured there would be more gas motorhome guys chime in?
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/01/12 04:16 PM

I don't own a motor-home, but I have done it more than once with other peoples stuff.

Its very nice to be able to stay at the track. Half the fun is meeting people and BS'ing after the races are over for the day. It's not going to get the mileage a truck does, or have the power, so expect your fuel bill to go up, but you will save money on a hotel and have a more enjoyable experience at the track.

The only downsides people complain about are the obvious maintenance and upkeep costs. If I had the room to store one, I'd probably downgrade my new truck and get a motorhome for most of the racing trips.
Posted By: BM70Dart

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/01/12 04:30 PM

I have a class c with a f.i. 460 tows my open trailer like its not even there, don't know about an enclosed though.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/01/12 04:46 PM

I have a 86 MH that is on a Chevy P30 chassis. No hills in this part of the country and once it's rolling it's fine. There are basically 2 problems. One is wind, a serious cross wind is white knuckle driving. The other is gas mileage, mine gets about 4 to 5 pulling my 20ft enclosed. I only use it for multi day events. For other races we use a friends dually.

The next one I get will be a diesel pusher.
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/01/12 06:58 PM

460ci is my favorite motor for a gasser and I have owned 454ci, Ford v-10 and the 460. I loved having a motorhome at the track. A clean bathroom at your disposal, a stocked fridge and some A/c make it worthwhile. If you are in it for the long haul diesel is the way to go. Just testing the waters as long as you buy it right someone is always looking for one when/if you wish to upgrade. IMO, the generator is second most important piece of equipment so make sure it is up to snuff!!

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/01/12 07:44 PM

Keep in mind that the refrigerators cost 1200+ dollars so you may want to check it out too.
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/01/12 08:33 PM

Quote:

I plan on getting my car back out next year and have a chance to buy a 28 foot motorhome.it is a gas fuel injected 460.I wanted a short one so it would be alittle easier to tow my 28 foot enclosed trailer.

I have a diesel truck which pulls it fine,but have always wanted a motorhome to stay in at the racetrack.Im not planning on towing very far..farthest would be around 3 1/2 hours away mainly flat ground.

just wanted to know the guys that have switched over if it was a good decision or not? would love to have a diesel pusher but not worth the added money to me and I can get this gas for a decent price..

Thanks guys

Well I still have my Dodge Diesel with 84k on the clock that I plan on keeping but to answer your question We bought a '96 28' Coachman (460 powered)from a friend of ours a few months back and I cannot believe how much better it has made our families racing experience. I highly recommend it, although finding the right rig in the condition that you want can be a challenge. When this one came up we didn't hesitate a minute. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Attached picture 7402487-7302759-552452_485885094756864_406705097_n.jpg
Posted By: Eric

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/01/12 09:40 PM

Quote:

I have a 86 MH that is on a Chevy P30 chassis. No hills in this part of the country and once it's rolling it's fine. There are basically 2 problems. One is wind, a serious cross wind is white knuckle driving. The other is gas mileage, mine gets about 4 to 5 pulling my 20ft enclosed. I only use it for multi day events. For other races we use a friends dually.

Pretty much the same as what I have...84' Winnie class A 23ft with a 454 on a P30. She is old and Heather says she smells but it is perfect for the track. I've towed 75-80 mph and get horrible milage..(5-6mpg) but there is nothing like having a bed ..shower and sh-per at the track. I'm hoping to get something a bit newer so Heather will go...

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/01/12 11:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Pretty much the same as what I have...84' Winnie class A 23ft with a 454 on a P30. She is old and Heather says she smells but it is perfect for the track. I've towed 75-80 mph and get horrible milage..(5-6mpg) but there is nothing like having a bed ..shower and sh-per at the track. I'm hoping to get something a bit newer so Heather will go...

Eric this is the one I was telling you about at the track. Matt ended up buying it a few weeks ago off Gene Nagy.

Here's the one I bought a few month ago.

Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/02/12 01:06 AM

I too have been looking at a motorhome. I like the layout of the C-Class better, with the sleeping space for the kids up top out of the way. What makes the A-class a better tow rig than the C-class layout?
Posted By: mopartony

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/02/12 01:12 AM

Another to thing to think about is a converted school bus. I have one. Flat nosed Blue bird. 8 liter turbo diesel allison auto in it.

10.5 mpg at 65mph. The car and a quad will fit in the back of mine. it sleeps 6. Plenty of room to move around too. Granted it is 45' 4" long but hey... when I am doing doing mine it will have a generator, fridge, air compressor and a few other amenities. If i really wanted I could put a hitch on the back and still tow my trailer with a second car.
Posted By: Barnstorm

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/02/12 02:14 AM

I love my old school 86 Born Free 21ft...full water,4000gen,big potty-shower,kitchen. Full frame and duallys. 460 Ford with my little 600 Holley will get 8-9 mpg. Hard to find

Attached picture 7403140-IMG(Copy).jpg

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/02/12 03:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Eric this is the one I was telling you about at the track. Matt ended up buying it a few weeks ago off Gene Nagy.

Here's the one I bought a few month ago.

John...I LOVE your new rig...you ever want out put me on the list

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/02/12 04:14 AM

Thanks Eric. When he said he wanted 5000 dollars for it I almost choked. Matt and I took it for a ride 2 hours later and bought it. He used to race in the AHRL. I think that's right (all harleys).
Posted By: MoParFish

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/02/12 03:13 PM

I'm a big fan of the cabover camper. No extra vehicle to maintain, register or buy tires for. Now you're not gonna be comfy with a family of 8 but one or two is fine for a weekend. Use it for fishing trips too. This one has queen bed, fridge, stove, ac, heater, sink, microwave, even has a small bathroom with shower.(it's down the hall, first door on left}

Attached picture 7403753-camper.jpg
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/02/12 05:28 PM

My Brother just picked this one up a couple of weeks ago. We are going to see how it pulls & tows. 440 4 bbl with 44,000 original miles.

Attached picture 7403935-77dodgemotorhome.jpg

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/02/12 05:30 PM

Front view.

Attached picture 7403936-77dodgemotorhome2.jpg
Posted By: bfury

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/03/12 12:26 AM

Advice from a previous owner of a Fleetwood 35' motor home. Do not buy an old motor home, in general they are poorly constructed with plywood that tends to get wet and rot. Frequent water leaks around the body and roof. The wiring for lights and etc. is done with scotch loks that allow water in and corrosion. The 460 Ford is notorius for cracked heads due to uneven expansion of the exhaust manifolds compared to aluminum heads. Check the internet for the horror stories, Chevy also, You will need an auxilliary trans cooler and heed the other advice given. Get AAA with RV towing and maintain the motor home frequently. There are many positives but buy a fairly new one and sell before 10 years old.

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/03/12 03:18 AM

Quote:

Advice from a previous owner of a Fleetwood 35' motor home. Do not buy an old motor home, in general they are poorly constructed with plywood that tends to get wet and rot. Frequent water leaks around the body and roof. The wiring for lights and etc. is done with scotch loks that allow water in and corrosion. The 460 Ford is notorius for cracked heads due to uneven expansion of the exhaust manifolds compared to aluminum heads. Check the internet for the horror stories, Chevy also, You will need an auxilliary trans cooler and heed the other advice given. Get AAA with RV towing and maintain the motor home frequently. There are many positives but buy a fairly new one and sell before 10 years old.

Mines a 84' with 177k on the clock..
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/03/12 03:26 AM

The Class B and C Dodges are Uni bodys(just like the cars we race), not a full length truck frame. Watch the rear sub frames when towing, especially a enclosed trailer or bigger camping trailer A freind of mine ended up totaling his when the rear subframes failed Luckily no one got hurt, he discovered the frame failure in his driveway
Posted By: Canuck

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/04/12 05:42 PM

Good Post!

I currently tow with a 31' Class A (454 Vortec)

PITA to keep plug wires on and hard on exhaust manifolds. Works ok but they are more work than the race car.

But with 2 kids under 6 its the only way for my family to travel.

Sooo close to trading it for a 98 33' Class A' with a Cummins 5.9 Front engine. Got to be more reliable then the 454?????

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/04/12 05:52 PM

This is what we call rolling in style.... At least it was 440 powered, stopping was iffy on a good day.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/04/12 06:25 PM

Dustin, how many lugs are on the axles on this unit?

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/04/12 06:29 PM

No clue, it was borrowed for 2 weekends a few years ago and then returned to its rightful owner.
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/04/12 06:44 PM

I just upgraded to a slightly bigger trailer. I love towing with the dually.... It gives you complete freedom when at the track. We race in Denver alot and are there for 7-9 days....so if we were in a MH we would be stuck at the track. With the dually and LQ trailer we just dump the trailer and run around in the truck. Also makes it nice when you need something from town or a beer/booze run....LOL....plus in Calif it's registered as a 3 axle trailer...35.00 for 5 years... ...we got 12-14 MPG hauling it back from Memphis Tn to Central Calif... my F350 isnt stock....but still pulled 6% grades at 55-60 no problem.

Posted By: JackGTX440

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/04/12 07:18 PM

Beautiful trailer. What brand is it?

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/04/12 07:23 PM

Quote:

Vintage...53' with 9' ceilings... 25' of living quarters. Has a big shower ... 7,000 watt Onan ... tall enough you can walk next to the bed up top.
It's a 2001 ...in really good shape.

http://www.vintagetrailers.com/
Posted By: DakFink

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/05/12 06:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Vintage...53' with 9' ceilings... 25' of living quarters. Has a big shower ... 7,000 watt Onan ... tall enough you can walk next to the bed up top.

What all do you have to have to keep DOT off your tail while pulling that thing?

License
Equipment
Inspection
Etc???
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/05/12 06:42 AM

Why stop at just ONE motorhome??

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/05/12 12:16 PM

Quote:

I just upgraded to a slightly bigger trailer. I love towing with the dually.... It gives you complete freedom when at the track. We race in Denver alot and are there for 7-9 days....so if we were in a MH we would be stuck at the track. With the dually and LQ trailer we just dump the trailer and run around in the truck. Also makes it nice when you need something from town or a beer/booze run....LOL....plus in Calif it's registered as a 3 axle trailer...35.00 for 5 years... ...we got 12-14 MPG hauling it back from Memphis Tn to Central Calif... my F350 isnt stock....but still pulled 6% grades at 55-60 no problem.

Got news for ya, your dually ain't gonna like that heavy trailer, now it's time for a larger tow vehicle.

I use a toterhome and my pit vehicle inside my trailer if I'm gonna pull something that long.

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/05/12 05:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Got news for ya, your dually ain't gonna like that heavy trailer, now it's time for a larger tow vehicle.

I use a toterhome and my pit vehicle inside my trailer if I'm gonna pull something that long.

My dually doesn't even know it's back there...it's not a stock F350... it make s 715 hp...1150 ft lbs... has dual rear calipers....8,000 lb Firestone bags....has towed over 44,000 lbs.... 6 speed manual with a gear vendors OD..... runs 12's when on the race side of the tuner.....towing my 40' trailer I could pull out of Aspen Colorado at 70 mph.....it does just fine....but I'm looking at FL20s and FL50's......what works for some doesn't for others....to each heir own.....and I don't have room for an extra vehicle with 3 race cars and a monster golf cart.

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/05/12 05:45 PM

Quote:

Sweet. Have you pullled any car trailers with either of yours yet? If so, how did they do?
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/05/12 08:43 PM

37' FUNMOVER CUMMINS POWERED. 10' SHOP IN REAR WITH HYDRAULIC TAILGATE.PERFECT FOR BRINGING THE HARLEY ALONG

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/05/12 10:41 PM

Nice, didn't I see it this year at Carlisle with a white enclosed trailer behind it?

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/05/12 11:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What all do you have to have to keep DOT off your tail while pulling that thing?

License
Equipment
Inspection
Etc???

License...Class A commercial
Equipment...All 3 axles must have brakes
Inspection...Got DOT inspected and stickered.
Posted By: DakFink

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/06/12 12:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

License
Equipment
Inspection
Etc???

License...Class A commercial
Equipment...All 3 axles must have brakes
Inspection...Got DOT inspected and stickered.

Thought so! Thanks for the info.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/07/12 07:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sweet. Have you pullled any car trailers with either of yours yet? If so, how did they do?

The one in front was bought brand new by a guy towing his race car to the track. It's a 440 warmed over with quite a bit of power, can tow no problem.
The one in the rear is more suited to racing kid's Hondas and Toyotas with stickers and fart tips. It moves rather well....
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Motorhome good or bad idea? - 10/07/12 04:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My dually doesn't even know it's back there...it's not a stock F350... it make s 715 hp...1150 ft lbs... has dual rear calipers....8,000 lb Firestone bags....has towed over 44,000 lbs.... 6 speed manual with a gear vendors OD..... runs 12's when on the race side of the tuner.....towing my 40' trailer I could pull out of Aspen Colorado at 70 mph.....it does just fine....but I'm looking at FL20s and FL50's......what works for some doesn't for others....to each heir own.....and I don't have room for an extra vehicle with 3 race cars and a monster golf cart.

Yep.....totally agree....never had a problem towing my 50 footer....always grossed out ove 26K and pulled like a dream....stopped well.....never a white knuckle moment

Rickster
© 2024 Moparts Forums