Moparts

GM metric rear disc conversion

Posted By: JERICOGTX

GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 12:57 AM

For those that have done the GM metric caliper rear disc conversion, what rotors are you using? Those from a Jeep or Ford Explorer?

Thanks.

Jeff
Posted By: mopar65

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 01:09 AM

Quote:

For those that have done the GM metric caliper rear disc conversion, what rotors are you using? Those from a Jeep or Ford Explorer?

Thanks.

Jeff

hey Jeff i would be interested in hearing about the hole set up. i mean like what all parts you use etc.thanks Mopar65

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 01:19 AM

Well from what I know you use the front caliper from a mid 80's GM "metric" body style ie Monte Carlo, rear rotors from either a Jeep Cherokee, or 2000 Ford Eplorer. You also need caliper brackets from Speedway. The brackets can also be bought on eBay. The brackets need to be welded on the rear housing. Over all you can install rear disc brakes for around $200, IF you shop around for parts. Rockauto, and eBay seem to have the best prices.

Jeff
Posted By: 440W8 Duster

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 01:24 AM

Jeff I used rotors from a Jeep Grand Cherokee with GM metric calipers and brakes from any circle track shop for the rear.

Attached picture 7401356-downsized_0707121753.jpg

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 01:43 AM

Quote:

Well from what I know you use the front caliper from a mid 80's GM "metric" body style ie Monte Carlo, rear rotors from either a Jeep Cherokee, or 2000 Ford Eplorer. You also need caliper brackets from Speedway. The brackets can also be bought on eBay. The brackets need to be welded on the rear housing. Over all you can install rear disc brakes for around $200, IF you shop around for parts. Rockauto, and eBay seem to have the best prices.

Jeff

Jeff thanks for the info. so will these work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metric-Brake-Cal...959&vxp=mtr

also do you have the measurements on wear the brackets get welded on? sorry for the high jack of your post. i have been wanting to do something like this for a long time to my dart. thanks Bobby

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 01:52 AM

That is the bracket you will need. As for where it gets welded, that depends on the rotor used. From what I can tell the hat of the Jeep rotor is deeper then the Explorer rotor. That will change the location of the caliper, and where the mounting bracket is located.

Jeff
Posted By: earthmover

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 01:57 AM

speedway motors sell the kit..

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 02:04 AM

Quote:

That is the bracket you will need. As for where it gets welded, that depends on the rotor used. From what I can tell the hat of the Jeep rotor is deeper then the Explorer rotor. That will change the location of the caliper, and where the mounting bracket is located.

Jeff

well i guess i will wait and see which rotor you use.lol also i think you have a dana 60 in your car right? my car has a 8-3/4 with moser axles and green bearings. so i wonder if the measurements would be in the same place? probably not just asking. also what do you do about the backing plates for the drum breaks? i mean can you just pull them off and bolt the axle back to the axle housing?? sorry for all the questions.Bobby

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 02:06 AM

I do have a Dana60 in my car, but it should not matter Dana or 8 3/4. Yes the drum backing plates are removed, and the axle bolts right back in place.

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 02:11 AM

Quote:

speedway motors sell the kit..

hey got a link?? thanks Bobby

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 02:17 AM

Quote:

I do have a Dana60 in my car, but it should not matter Dana or 8 3/4. Yes the drum backing plates are removed, and the axle bolts right back in place.

OK Jeff hurry up and get yours done so i can start on mine.lol wow i cant b-leave how cheep Chevy parts are.
Quote:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...5&ppt=C0066

looks like this might end up costing less that i thought. also if you go with the jeep rotors what year would use and last question what are you going to do for break lines for the back. i mean wear the line hooks up to the caliper. thanks for the help Jeff. Bobby

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 02:23 AM

I'll be buying parts for mine over the winter. No rush actually. As for lines, I saw on ebay someone had lines, and adapters, but not sure on the length.

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 02:28 AM

Quote:

I'll be buying parts for mine over the winter. No rush actually. As for lines, I saw on ebay someone had lines, and adapters, but not sure on the length.

well darn i don't want to wait all winter.lol sorry Jeff just joking.also what year jeep would you pick for the rotors? well looks like everything besides the brackets can be bought from the parts store. wonder why i didn't do this along time ago.lol. thanks Bobby

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 02:31 AM

Quote:

Jeff I used rotors from a Jeep Grand Cherokee with GM metric calipers and brakes from any circle track shop for the rear.

you wouldn't have a pic of your rear break set up would you? thanks Mopar65
Posted By: earthmover

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 02:37 AM

this should get you there..

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...pWnLVzrwPfB2Dqw

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 02:41 AM

Rotors

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-04-Jeep-Grand...34d&vxp=mtr

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 02:52 AM

Quote:

Rotors

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-04-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Rear-Disc-Brake-Rotors-Left-Right-Pair-Set-of-2-NEW-/130766844749?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e724fb34d&vxp=mtr]http://www.ebay.com/
itm/99-04-Jeep-Grand...34d&vxp=mtr[/url]

jeff thanks fort he info. looks like you can get the same thing at slowrileys and i found the brake line kit in ebay or speedway catalog. also one more question and i will leave you a loan.lol my axles have 5/8 wheel studs so i can just drill the rotors out on a drill press right? thanks again bobby

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 02:53 AM

Quote:

this should get you there..

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...pWnLVzrwPfB2Dqw

thanks for the link. Bobby

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 03:43 AM

Mopar65 yes you can drill for 5/8 studs.Jeff they also make a rotor with a 1/4 thick flange and a 1/8 flange so if you dont have a long enough stud you might get the thinner ones.

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 03:56 AM

Quote:

Mopar65 yes you can drill for 5/8 studs.Jeff they also make a rotor with a 1/4 thick flange and a 1/8 flange so if you dont have a long enough stud you might get the thinner ones.

hey thanks for the help. also do you have the parts numbers for the different thickness rotors or are the ones you are talking about not from the part store?? Thanks Bobby

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 04:07 AM

no I sure dont.
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 06:09 AM

I used 93 jeep Cherokee rotors. You don't need a measurement to place the caliper bracket. Just bolt on the rotors put the pads in the calipers and bolt them to the brackets. Install them over the rotor and it helps if you have someone hold the brake pedal one you have them where you want them, this will square them up to the rotor. Then just tack the brackets on, remove everything and weld them up. Here's some pics from mine.

Posted By: Dartin

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 10:26 AM

Quote:

I used 93 jeep rotors. You don't need a measurement to place the caliper bracket. Just bolt on the rotors put the pads in the calipers and bolt them to the brackets. Install them over the rotor and it helps if you have someone hold the brake pedal one you have them where you want them, this will square them up to the rotor. Then just tack the brackets on, remove everything and weld them up. Here's some pics from mine.

I used the front rotors from a 2000 Grand Cherokee, Speedway brackets, Autozone calipers and pads. I drilled the rotors for 5/8" studs, mocked it up on the axle, and put shop air to the calipers to hold them in place while welding. My rear lines are flex lines that were also purchased along with the fittings from Speedway.

Randy
Posted By: sbhpcb

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 10:38 PM

What about a parking brake?
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 10:51 PM

no parking brake with these calipers.
I'll also mention that a couple tabs for the hoses to clip on are a nice addition while you have the welder out...
Make sure you leave enough slack so the caliper can be removed from the rotor for pad replacement.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 11:22 PM

You put a cable-operated disc brake on the rear end pinion.

What I don't understand is why one wouldn't use a rear caliper with a disk brake provision?

R.

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/01/12 11:58 PM

thanks for all the ideals guys and how easy they are to set up.I am wanting to do this this way on my car because i don't need a park brake for my street/strip car. but if i was going to use a set up with a park brake. there is a guy over at FABO site that took the complete rear disc break set up off of a jeep. looked pretty easy to do.its is in the brakes section.

OK back to the gm disc conversion what did you guys do with the factory proptioning valve? i mean did you leave it be, bypass it or just remove it and add a adjustable one for the rear breaks. I already have a aluminum latter mod brake master cylinder. also the conversion brake line kits on found on ebay and speed way have kits that come with everything. like the little brackets that you weld to the axle, so you can mount the brake line.i think this is a very keep way to have disc breaks for the rear of your car.it will be a couple of weeks before i get all the parts bought and will put up some pics when i get it installed.going to have to hit up the parts store to see if i can fine the brake lines to build me a kit cheaper that what eBay or speedway is wanting.Mopar65

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/02/12 01:14 AM

I also didn't see the need for a parking brake on mine. As for the proportioning valve, I went with an adjustable one. There are a bunch of brands and styles out there in a variety of prices. Check out the ones speedway has while you are ordering up the brackets, lines, fittings, caliper bolts, clips, etc.... saves on shipping too!

Randy

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/02/12 01:50 AM

The only thing I got from speedway were the brackets. Everything else i got from Oreilly. Everything from O'Reilly cost less than $115 ( rotors, calipers, pads, hoses, banjo bolt)

When you buy the brackets just get the flat ones, I bought the gusseted first and they were a pita.

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/02/12 03:36 AM

Quote:

The only thing I got from speedway were the brackets. Everything else i got from Oreilly. Everything from O'Reilly cost less than $115 ( rotors, calipers, pads, hoses, banjo bolt)

When you buy the brackets just get the flat ones, I bought the gusseted first and they were a pita.

thanks that what i plan on doing. i already have all the parts and prices looked up on orielys web site. but on the hoses do you have a part number for them on what year make car etc you found the part number for the hose? also can you show a pic of how you mounted your break lines? thanks Mopar65

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/02/12 03:41 AM

Quote:

I also didn't see the need for a parking brake on mine. As for the proportioning valve, I went with an adjustable one. There are a bunch of brands and styles out there in a variety of prices. Check out the ones speedway has while you are ordering up the brackets, lines, fittings, caliper bolts, clips, etc.... saves on shipping too!

Randy

thanks for the info. i have used the adjustable one before on my 65 but that was with wildwood brakes front and back. so did you just plug the rear break line coming off the factory valve and run a new line from the master cylinder etc? Mopar65

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/02/12 04:21 AM

The part number is BH36847. I used a 79 Malibu for my reference.

My brake lines are the stock lines that ran to the cylinders, I just shortened them and reflared them so they worked with the flex hoses.

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/02/12 10:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Randy

thanks for the info. i have used the adjustable one before on my 65 but that was with wildwood brakes front and back. so did you just plug the rear break line coming off the factory valve and run a new line from the master cylinder etc? Mopar65

Yep, I plumbed the adjustable prop valve into the rear line coming from the master cylinder. For the lines I used the braided flex lines that Speedway sells. I didn't use banjo bolt type lines. They sell a fitting that adapts a flex line to the banjo thread size (can't remember the size off the top of my head though).

Randy
Posted By: Charger453

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/21/12 09:30 AM

Has anybody done a weight comparison when swapping from a set of 10" drums? Just curious if this sheds any weight as well.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/21/12 07:28 PM

Funny.... was just looking at Willwoods for the rear this am.

can't imagine alot of weight savings... factory calpers are usually not light weight.
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 10/22/12 06:53 AM

I used a caliper for a s10 and a rotor for rear of 92 jeep got bracket from jegs
calipers were 10 bucks rotors were 40 pads were 12 bucks
for same price on the rotors can get them drilled and sloted off ebay (think was like (70.00)
Posted By: PS Arrow

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 11/04/12 04:26 PM

I have not done the lines yet, but I am under $70.00.

Attached picture 7448164-100_0432.JPG

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 04/24/13 12:46 AM

Quote:

Sorry to bring up a old post, but Jesse, what is the difference in the brake pads from circle track, compared to a regular set of pads?

Jeff
Posted By: dogdays

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 04/24/13 02:02 AM

That wasn't his point. The lower-cost circle track classes use a "metric GM" caliper. It may even be a requirement in some classes. Anyway, circle track stores should have them and pads out on the shelves so it's easy to just walk in and buy a pair. You don't need to wrestle with the parts guy's computer like you would at Autozone.

R.

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion - 04/24/13 02:05 AM

Quote:

That wasn't his point. The lower-cost circle track classes use a "metric GM" caliper. It may even be a requirement in some classes. Anyway, circle track stores should have them and pads out on the shelves so it's easy to just walk in and buy a pair. You don't need to wrestle with the parts guy's computer like you would at Autozone.

R.

Jesse, is/was a parts counter guy, that is why I asked. If a simple set from the local parts store is the same for $13 I'll just pick them up, and run a spacer from Speedway.

Jeff

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion :UPDATE - 04/25/13 02:41 PM

We are currently doing this swap on a buddies car. For those that are interested, the swap is a 5lb per side LOSS over factory 11 inch drum brakes. Had i known it was going to be a 10lb loss and better brakes, for a cheap price, I would have made the swap years ago.

Jeff
Posted By: The Sphinx

Re: GM metric rear disc conversion :UPDATE - 04/01/15 04:06 AM

I'm doing this swap on my car right now and have a question on the rotors. As for the jeep rotors are you using Cherokee or grand Cherokee rotors? Are you using front rotors or rear rotors from a jeep? Thanks
© 2024 Moparts Forums