Moparts

Ductile rocker contact patch issue

Posted By: PJ68RT

Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 09/29/12 07:28 PM

See pic. The rockers are only toucing on the side of the valves. I tryed several and they all seem to only be touching the side. There's .002-.003 clearance on the side of the rocker that doesn't touch the valve. What you think? What can i do here? New rockers?
Thanks

Attached picture 7399550-P9290072a.JPG
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 09/29/12 07:32 PM

Pic no workie

Re: Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 09/29/12 07:44 PM

Here's another..

Attached picture 7399561-P9290074a.JPG
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 09/29/12 07:50 PM

Are those isky rockers ? hard to tell where it's hitting the on the stem .
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 09/29/12 08:05 PM

You could have the pads refaced, but for 2-3 thou, I'd runem as is.

Re: Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 09/29/12 08:09 PM

They are Crane ductile rockers. In the second pic its a little easier to see that the contact sweep is right on the right edge of the valve.

Re: Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 09/29/12 08:12 PM

another pic...

Attached picture 7399591-74b.JPG
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 09/29/12 11:51 PM

You need to add shims to get the proper positioning.
Take the rockers and shaft, insert 1 or 2 shims so to get each rocker centered over the respective valve stem. When doing this we suggest taking another head for trial fitting. And if needed a shim can be cut down by using the Dremel and sanding wheel. Add what ever shims (# and/or thickness) are needed for each rocker alignment. Also note that after layouting out the shaft, rockers and shims fit the shaft/rockers on the head and torque it down. Sometimes after torqueing down the shaft the # of required shims and/or thickness may need to be revised as the alignment can change after torque down..

Yes it takes some time to optimize but once done, the end-result will be worth it.

Just my $0.02..
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 09/30/12 01:04 AM

i would get the pads resurfaced flat so they are contacting the whole valve stem. check ur scrub pattern after that. the way they are now will side load the valve.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 09/30/12 07:33 PM

Quote:

i would get the pads resurfaced flat so they are contacting the whole valve stem. check ur scrub pattern after that. the way they are now will side load the valve.

This, if you look at the first couple pictures the rocker isn't offset so far that the pad misses the valve, the pad just isn't parallel to the valve stem..

Re: Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 09/30/12 08:14 PM

Thats correct. The pad is not parallel to the valve. Weird thing is they are all the same. Seems like they were all machined 2-3 thou out of parallel with the rocker shaft bore..ugg
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 09/30/12 09:54 PM

It's got to be fixed. Find an old auto shop with a Sioux or Quickway valve refacing machine, the fancy ones have rocker re-facing attachments that pilot off the shaft hole and restore the pad to parallel. RAS can do this if you don't have any locals.
Make sure the bushing is a good fit, or it won't really be fixed.
There are videos on Youtube of these tools in use on Ford Y blocks.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 09/30/12 10:16 PM

Quote:

It's got to be fixed. Find an old auto shop with a Sioux or Quickway valve refacing machine, the fancy ones have rocker re-facing attachments that pilot off the shaft hole and restore the pad to parallel. RAS can do this if you don't have any locals.
Make sure the bushing is a good fit, or it won't really be fixed.
There are videos on Youtube of these tools in use on Ford Y blocks.

I wish RAS was better at customer service/getting jobs out.. I've never heard a complaint about quality but I've heard & experienced the black hole of sending parts in & not getting them back for over two years...
Posted By: shoebox

Re: Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 10/02/12 09:26 PM

I'm 12 months into my Ras nightmare. Never one phone call or email
Just what seem like sincere apologies when I can get Gary on the phone
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 10/02/12 09:34 PM

I'm glad now I paid a little extra and bought a set of ductiles redone by RAS off a member last/earlier this year ... Thanks Woody ...

Posted By: Stanton

Re: Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 10/02/12 09:34 PM

When I was using those rockers I had to cut the small tabs off the holddowns to get the pads properly positioned on the valve. Regardless,
you should be running a hardened shim between the holddown and the rocker or the softer iron rocker is going to wear and put a load of crap in the motor.

Re: Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 10/02/12 11:09 PM

I broke down and bought a set of Hughes rockers. Got my fingers crossed that my smithbros pushrods i used with the Ductiles will work with these new Hughes units.
Posted By: Oyvind Mopar

Re: Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 10/02/12 11:26 PM

You can fix it yourself by using a knife-sharpening stone, some TLC and checking. Not difficult, and minimum cost. My
Posted By: BIGSTROKER

Re: Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 10/02/12 11:51 PM

do a pattern with the spring your going to run,the lite springs dont have enough pressure to set the rocker

Re: Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 10/03/12 12:44 AM

I checked the pattern with the actual valve springs too. It is still on the edge. These were given to me about 10 years ago so i have nothing invested.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Ductile rocker contact patch issue - 10/03/12 01:52 AM

dude, they need trued up. period.
© 2024 Moparts Forums