Moparts

Down on Power

Posted By: chryco

Down on Power - 09/29/12 04:38 AM

I had the car out last weekend testing a new converter and really think my et and mph should have been better. My 2800# Dart with a 557" aluminum hemi
.750" lift cam , 12:1 comp, tweeked heads , Barton intake w/1150 , Dyno`d @ 875hp @7000 / 750ft.lbs @ 5200 ran 9.71 @ 139.4 . The car felt like it was running strong and seemed to launch OK with the new converter ( Neal Chance custom 9" 5400 stall )and trans brake 1.39 60' . I think there`s more , but where ???
Ideas thought?
Chryco

Posted By: jamesc

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 04:55 AM

generally speaking MPH is horsepower and ET is chassis, you're slow across the board which indicates it's down on power. imho properly tuned that car should be in the 8's at >150. start from the bottom and go over everything. can you post a time card?

BTW nice car
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 05:10 AM

Quote:

generally speaking MPH is horsepower and ET is chassis, you're slow across the board which indicates it's down on power. imho properly tuned that car should be in the 8's at >150. start from the bottom and go over everything. can you post a time card?

BTW nice car

at 2900 lbs it should be well into the 8's.

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 05:11 AM

Dang ! I`ll get them posted up ASAP I think their still out in the car !!!!!!

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 05:33 AM

Some more info :
4.10 Dana
J.W. 'Glide w/ brake ladder bars , axle floaters
2 1/4" x 4" Hookers w/ 12" collector extensions
BG 400 fuel pump #10 line to BG regs @9# c112 fuel
MSD 7AL and Pro Billet Dist set 35deg (locked)
Thanks Again !
Chryco

Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 05:39 AM

You say you were testing a new converter, what did it run with the old one? My car weighs near 2800 pounds and I know I'm not making anywhere near 875 HP.
Posted By: deaks

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 10:33 AM

According to the wallace calc, your present speed suggest a 9.51 with a quicker 60 ft. Based on 875 hp and 2800#, you should be running high 8,50's at nearly 160 mph.
Mick
Posted By: moparguy7074

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 12:02 PM

Possible that the big tires, 4.10 gear, and glide are hurting your times? IMO you need more gear.

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 12:09 PM

The old converter was in my opinion a screw up on the part of the manufacturer even though I gave them the complete list of specs , they sent me a 4600 stall 9" . My 60' went from 1.45 to 1.39 NOT what I`d expected BUT an improvement just the same.Last time out there was a lateral cross wind 35 - 40 mph and I ran the 9.71 The previous time out VERY humid and hot with the old converter I went 9.74 both at the same MPH 139. Which is why I thought I`d have had bigger gains with the new converter.
Thx
chryco

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 12:25 PM

Quote:

According to the wallace calc, your present speed suggest a 9.51 with a quicker 60 ft. Based on 875 hp and 2800#, you should be running high 8,50's at nearly 160 mph.
Mick

Exactly ! This thing sounds strong and seemingly runs like a top ? I haven`t altered anything since it came off of Barton`s dyno as far a timing or jetting . I`m at 750' elevation and am pretty sure it`s not that far off where RBRE is located.
New plugs and oil oil pressure`s fine . I`m going to pull the valve covers and hope for the best Sunday , I`ll bet my valve lash is OK though.
I`ll also leak it down too .
Chryco

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 12:28 PM

Hey ! What about hood scoop to carb clearance? There`s probably 3" above the air horn to the scoop.
Again , there`s no miss or hint of actual power loss other than what the dyno results would suggest.
Chryco
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 12:44 PM

I don't believe the dyno #s are correct!!
Running 9.70s, everyone says it should be a sec faster, that thing , if it is not laying down, misfiring, boogging ,blowing the tires off , and tuned way out , those dyno # are wrong,
Something amiss in the build of the motor!!
Get a leak down on the motor after it is hot!! see what the # tell you then
J M O
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 12:45 PM

Bet the tune in the carb is off a little...Try cleaning the air bleeds and such with a shot of carb cleaner...After that, I would be reading plugs.

Ooor, you can send the engine my way, and I will re-tune it for you. You can have it back next season.
Posted By: Twin Turbo Mower

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 01:17 PM

Are the throttle blades open all the way when you have the pedal to the floor?
Posted By: gearjammerdart

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 01:42 PM

Quote:

^^^^ this is my first thought^^^^
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 01:47 PM

Quote:

Hey ! What about hood scoop to carb clearance? There`s probably 3" above the air horn to the scoop.
Again , there`s no miss or hint of actual power loss other than what the dyno results would suggest.
Chryco

I'd like to hear the tourque nunmbers at what RPM. Also where is your timing, rear gear, jetting and carb size? what RPM are you going through the traps? Head flow numbers would help. There's more there for sure but the combo needs to be right. I'll go back over your post to see if I missed anything, but it takes around 950HP to run 8's at sea level

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 02:01 PM

I would go with more stall like 5800-6000, less timing, like 32*, stock jetting 92's square and start there. Like one guy said, you may need a 456, but I think 8's are in your future with the right tune up.

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 02:16 PM

Quote:

I don't believe the dyno #s are correct!!
Running 9.70s, everyone says it should be a sec faster, that thing , if it is not laying down, misfiring, boogging ,blowing the tires off , and tuned way out , those dyno # are wrong,
Something amiss in the build of the motor!!
Get a leak down on the motor after it is hot!! see what the # tell you then
J M O [/quote

Here`s the sheet..........

Attached picture 7399246-scan0001.jpg

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 02:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

^^^^ this is my first thought^^^^

Checked and re checked.......................

Attached picture 7399251-IMG_7693.1.jpg

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 02:20 PM

Quote:

Bet the tune in the carb is off a little...Try cleaning the air bleeds and such with a shot of carb cleaner...After that, I would be reading plugs.

Ooor, you can send the engine my way, and I will re-tune it for you. You can have it back next season.

Something tells me it`s not going to be that easy ............

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 02:25 PM

Quote:

Possible that the big tires, 4.10 gear, and glide are hurting your times? IMO you need more gear.

Gear maybe , other stuff .....not so much.

Attached picture 7399261-IMG_2523.JPG

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 02:29 PM

Quote:

I would go with more stall like 5800-6000, less timing, like 32*, stock jetting 92's square and start there. Like one guy said, you may need a 456, but I think 8's are in your future with the right tune up.

Carb was used and set up on the dyno as was the timing ......saw it myself .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rG0doYzstE
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 02:40 PM

Check the ignition timing. Try rolling the wires in the trigger. Go with the way that gives you the most timing.

Your corrected HP is 880. Appears you actual HP on dyno was 817. This could account for the bad MPH. 139 MPH it just aint seeing any HP.

You are not going to set the world on fire with a Powerglide in that car unless you get everything dead on. You need to be in the 7,300 RPM at the finish line. The car should be in the upper 140's to over 150 when everything is good and in good air. I would want more gear probably a 4.88. This will help tremendously. Put some gear in that car and check the dumb stuff and you will be on your way.

Also judging from your dyno numbers. There was 50 HP in the altitude correction. So when you actually run in good air you may need more jet. Bad air less. Best thing is to jet for peak MPH. Don't worry about the other numbers. Go up 2 front and back. If it slows down start going down. Keep going til it runs it's best. Then go up 1 for a little insurance.

Leon
Posted By: Cheatham

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 03:13 PM

what rpm you crossing the line at
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 03:13 PM

A happy dyno Is a proud dyno!!
800+ hp at the crank = @ 700 @ the wheel!
acting like it is down by 150 hp at the wheel!!
maybe the brakes are dragging??
or the trans went south
what is the trap rpm?? 6800??

410- to- 456s wont do much for ya, a little yes, not no sec tho!!

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 04:17 PM

What do you have for jets and what is the finish line RPM? The peak tourque looks to be at 5500 so I would want a 9" converter at 300 over that, and where was the timing on the dyno? Is the converter able to be be efficient at the finish line? Did you move it around? I too think a 456 or more gear would help, but maybe a 10th, and it should pick up more with the tune up. I don't think 870HP is anywhere near an 8.50 in a 3000# car. 8.80-8.90@ around 148-150 would be my guess. JMO these are the questions you need to answer.
Posted By: cgall

Re: Down on Power - 09/29/12 04:28 PM

My iron-head 440 has cracked the 1.3's in 60 ft. I would run 4.88 rear gear and 2.20 powerglide 1st gear in that beast and let it eat.

Re: Down on Power - 10/16/12 01:41 AM

Quote:

What do you have for jets and what is the finish line RPM? The peak tourque looks to be at 5500 so I would want a 9" converter at 300 over that, and where was the timing on the dyno? Is the converter able to be be efficient at the finish line? Did you move it around? I too think a 456 or more gear would help, but maybe a 10th, and it should pick up more with the tune up. I don't think 870HP is anywhere near an 8.50 in a 3000# car. 8.80-8.90@ around 148-150 would be my guess. JMO these are the questions you need to answer.

Timing was at 35 deg and the carb is jetted at 90 squ. I believe the RPM to be around 6800 .
Still looking for the time slips .....I put them in a safe place !!!!!!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Down on Power - 10/16/12 03:54 AM

Hemiroids like and need more rear gear than wedges do 4.88 or 5.13 in my opinion
Posted By: JCCuda

Re: Down on Power - 10/16/12 03:05 PM

Fuel delivery not sufficient? What do you have for a fuel system.

Re: Down on Power - 10/17/12 04:42 AM

Thanks for asking , but I think it`s adequate.
The fuel system has a 5 Gal. fuel cell #12 from the cell to the BG filter and BG400 pump then #10 to the BG reg and #8 to the carb. I`m getting 9 # at the line.

Re: Down on Power - 10/17/12 04:49 AM

Hemiroids like and need more rear gear than wedges do 4.88 or 5.13 in my opinion

I`m startin' to think that way , but I don`t think I`m going to see the gains I`m looking for .......
I still haven`t leak the motor down . That`ll tell the tail I`m sure.
Thanks for the suggestions , keep em comin`
Chryco
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Down on Power - 10/17/12 05:18 AM

Quote:

I'm in this frame of mind as well.

Converter too tight, not enough gear.

1.39 60's? There are 3300#, 530-560hp, cars going in this range and faster.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Down on Power - 10/17/12 05:34 AM

Quote:

The fuel system has a 5 Gal. fuel cell #12 from the cell to the BG filter and BG400 pump then #10 to the BG reg and #8 to the carb. I`m getting 9 # at the line.

have you ever looked at your plugs? is it possible that your flooding the carb going down the track with it at 9lbs? I run 5.5 lbs with 2 carbs and have no problems

i would think a big chamber like a hemi needs more timing but I have no idea
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Down on Power - 10/17/12 05:35 AM

I would do a fuel flow test to see how much time it
takes to fill a gal... for some reason your down about
200 hp

Re: Down on Power - 10/17/12 10:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

have you ever looked at your plugs? is it possible that your flooding the carb going down the track with it at 9lbs? I run 5.5 lbs with 2 carbs and have no problems

i would think a big chamber like a hemi needs more timing but I have no idea

Definitely a possibility , the plugs do look OK after a run . And the timing is set the same on the dyno pull @ 35 deg . To be down the HP mine seems to be I`d expect to feel it miss or shoot ducks down the track . But that`s definitely not the case .

Re: Down on Power - 10/17/12 10:42 AM

Quote:

I would do a fuel flow test to see how much time it
takes to fill a gal... for some reason your down about
200 hp

I usually pump out my fuel cell by disconnecting the fuel line at a bulkhead fitting on the firewall after a race day. It sure comes out of there scary fast , I haven`t disconnected the carb fittings and watched that however. I better get on that . Sure hope it`s something that simple !!!!

Re: Down on Power - 10/17/12 10:44 AM

Keep em comin` guys our season`s done here for the year and this is gonna haunt me till next May !!!

Posted By: deaks

Re: Down on Power - 10/17/12 11:58 AM

Have you thought about having it chassis dyno'd ?
Mick
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Down on Power - 10/17/12 01:39 PM

Looks like gearing to me. I think you need a minimum of a 4.56 gear, maybe a 4.88 in it.
The timing looks fine. Mine runs the best w/ 34-35 degrees in it.
I wouldn't touch the converter until you change the gear.

Re: Down on Power - 10/17/12 06:20 PM

Quote:

I had one of the BG fuel filters like yours on my Duster between the pump and the tank, it is a 10 micron element Replace it with a 80 micron or bigger filter(move the BG up front between the pump and the regulator ) and you may be pleasently suprised on the results The only reason I found out about the element size being to small is when I put the wide ban on my car, it would start to go lean from the hit of the throttle all the way to the end of the 1/4. It wouldn't go lean enough to make it miss or lay over but it was lean enough to not run like other cars with similar engine power on the dyno Someone on here had said the same thnig about my filter so I called Magnefuel and they confirm that high volume electric race pumps don't like real fine filter elements before the pump Try bypassing the filter for one run and see

Re: Down on Power - 10/17/12 06:41 PM

I'm not sure about this and would like to know

Will gear effect MPH? I can see it effecting ET by 60 ft'ing better but HP calcs don't ask for gear. they just ask for HP and weight and since this car in question doesn't MPH either I have to question whether gear is the obvious reason. If anything, a really effed up converter might be the problem

like Cab said, maybe the filter is the problem but at 9 lbs crossing the line, Could that really be the problem? Now, if 9lbs is to much and your flooding the engine, I would think if your dumping way to much fuel in the motor it could be washing the plugs clean but they would probably be dripping but would cause the engine to be way down on power.

taking it to a chassis dyno is something I would do. maybe your timing light is off from the one used on the dyno. are the secondaries opening? when you figure this out, i'm sure we would all love to hear the results
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Down on Power - 10/17/12 07:11 PM

This is where a tach play back is a good tool, its all about shift recovery and the amount of ass in the high gear pull

Re: Down on Power - 10/17/12 07:21 PM

Quote:

Will gear effect MPH? I can see it effecting ET by 60 ft'ing better but HP calcs don't ask for gear. they just ask for HP and weight and since this car in question doesn't MPH either I have to question whether gear is the obvious reason. If anything, a really effed up converter might be the problem

like Cab said, maybe the filter is the problem but at 9 lbs crossing the line, Could that really be the problem? Now, if 9lbs is to much and your flooding the engine, I would think if your dumping way to much fuel in the motor it could be washing the plugs clean but they would probably be dripping but would cause the engine to be way down on power.

taking it to a chassis dyno is something I would do. maybe your timing light is off from the one used on the dyno. are the secondaries opening? when you figure this out, i'm sure we would all love to hear the results

I'm sure his gauge says 9# but I will guarantee that
it isnt accurate otherwise it would be pouring past
the needle and seat... it could very well be too
small of a needle and seat but its the same stuff
that he ran on the dyno.... basically you used THEIR
ignition and THEIR fuel system so those are the places
I would look
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Down on Power - 10/18/12 02:52 AM

You either have a really "Happy Dyno", or a serious problem somewhere..

Never heard any complaints on here about Barton's dyno..

Since it's a new converter, and a Power Glide, I would definitely look there first..

I put a new converter in my 540" B1 w/Glide 3000#.. (thought it was making close to 900hp) and it went 9.40 @ 143..

Immediately took it out, put in a trusted converter, and went 8.78 @ 153+..

Fuel filter in front of the pump..

2800# and 875 hp should net you at least 8.90's @ 150+..

BTW.. That thing should stall at least 6400 rpm imo..

Chris..

Re: Down on Power - 10/18/12 03:21 AM

Quote:

Since it's a new converter, and a Power Glide, I would definitely look there first..

I put a new converter in my 540" B1 w/Glide 3000#.. (thought it was making close to 900hp) and it went 9.40 @ 143..

Chris..

ok, that's crazy. was the converter slipping that much or was it just so tight that it bogged the engine down? was the converter fixed and did it work after that?
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Down on Power - 10/18/12 03:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Chris..

ok, that's crazy. was the converter slipping that much or was it just so tight that it bogged the engine down? was the converter fixed and did it work after that?

Turned out to be a bad stator/sprag combo..

Brand new converter.. Was fixed, and went .05 slower than my current converter, but same mph..

But, it was .1 and 1.5-2 mph slower t-stop racing.. (Supposed to be a copy of my other converter, but with a sprag, to get more mph) Didn't happen..

Glides and converters are very touchy.. But once you find one you like, you'll fight to the death to keep it..

Chris..

Re: Down on Power - 10/18/12 05:23 AM

The new converter`s a Neal Chance 9" custom unit (NOT a two piece unit ) I called Marty and that`s what was spec`d out with ALL my car`s specs as well as the dyno sheet . This one`s not gonna be easy !!!!!
Thx for you`re help !
chryco

Re: Down on Power - 10/18/12 05:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I had one of the BG fuel filters like yours on my Duster between the pump and the tank, it is a 10 micron element Replace it with a 80 micron or bigger filter(move the BG up front between the pump and the regulator ) and you may be pleasently suprised on the results The only reason I found out about the element size being to small is when I put the wide ban on my car, it would start to go lean from the hit of the throttle all the way to the end of the 1/4. It wouldn't go lean enough to make it miss or lay over but it was lean enough to not run like other cars with similar engine power on the dyno Someone on here had said the same thnig about my filter so I called Magnefuel and they confirm that high volume electric race pumps don't like real fine filter elements before the pump Try bypassing the filter for one run and see

Thanks that`s an easy one off the list !
chryco

Re: Down on Power - 10/18/12 05:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure his gauge says 9# but I will guarantee that
it isnt accurate otherwise it would be pouring past
the needle and seat... it could very well be too
small of a needle and seat but its the same stuff
that he ran on the dyno.... basically you used THEIR
ignition and THEIR fuel system so those are the places
I would look

The custom Gary Williams carb was used and was unaltered from the dyno testing . Definitely worth opening up again for another look though. I think I have to get the motor making power before questioning the converter at this point though.
Thanks !
chryco

Posted By: sleepyhead416

Re: Down on Power - 10/18/12 02:08 PM

What type of timing light are you using ? I was using a SNAP-ON adjustable on my car it was 8 degrees off!!!!

Re: Down on Power - 10/18/12 10:31 PM

Quote:

What type of timing light are you using ? I was using a SNAP-ON adjustable on my car it was 8 degrees off!!!!

A very basic Suntune mag pick up one . I don`t care for the adjustable ones for that reason ! I`m locked in at 35 deg total just like on the dyno pull .

Posted By: 3404

Re: Down on Power - 10/19/12 01:53 AM

Considergetting a sportsman unit from Racepak.

Re: Down on Power - 10/19/12 02:40 AM

Quote:

Considergetting a sportsman unit from Racepak.

Have you got a link for that ?
Thx
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Down on Power - 10/19/12 02:44 AM

Honestly I don't think it's a power problem from all you've posted, it's a chassis, gearing, converter problem.

Re: Down on Power - 10/19/12 02:50 AM

Quote:

Yup ! Definitely food for thought, I`m going to bench test the system by running it with and without the filter and accurately timing it filling a gallon container. The secondaries ARE going wide open too (dang ! ). It`s uncanny though how consistant this thing is . Always 139.4 MPH. Almost like a throttle stop ! Can`t wait to get this thing sorted .
Thanks !
chryco

Re: Down on Power - 10/19/12 03:12 AM

Try flow testing the system through the carb. bowls instead of directly out of the fuel lines. When I replaced the Magnfuel 275 pump with the Magnafuel 300 pump it flowed the same amount with the fuel lines(six pak, three lines) disconnected I called Magnafuel and they said that I was NOT testing the pump correctly, to restrict the flow with the same size as the needles and seat. I hooked up one fuel line and the fuel flow doubled
Posted By: Edge

Re: Down on Power - 10/20/12 05:38 PM

Still sounds like a converter issue to me. If the car is not spinning the 60 foot is a little lazy even for the MPH that you are running right now. WIth the glide my guess would be your shift recovery is pretty slow, Would be interesting to see a time slip to see how strong the car is pulling from 1000 to 1320 feet to get an idea of how much power the car is actually making. With out more data pretty tought to diagnose further but the combination (independant of the dyno numbers) under your conditions should see another 10 MPH and run closer to 8.90s (if the chassis is sorted out as well). Similiar to others experiences with my old car just a converter and some chassis tweaking netted a 5 tenths improvement. That was with a lower powered wedge combo going from 10.3 to 9.8 MPH increaseds 7 MPH. Went from an 8 inch converter to 9 inch and never looked back.
Posted By: Edge

Re: Down on Power - 10/20/12 05:39 PM

Great looking car by the way.

Re: Down on Power - 10/20/12 10:14 PM

Quote:

Still sounds like a converter issue to me. If the car is not spinning the 60 foot is a little lazy even for the MPH that you are running right now. WIth the glide my guess would be your shift recovery is pretty slow, Would be interesting to see a time slip to see how strong the car is pulling from 1000 to 1320 feet to get an idea of how much power the car is actually making. With out more data pretty tought to diagnose further but the combination (independant of the dyno numbers) under your conditions should see another 10 MPH and run closer to 8.90s (if the chassis is sorted out as well). Similiar to others experiences with my old car just a converter and some chassis tweaking netted a 5 tenths improvement. That was with a lower powered wedge combo going from 10.3 to 9.8 MPH increaseds 7 MPH. Went from an 8 inch converter to 9 inch and never looked back.

I HAVE to find those time slips ! I put them somewhere for safe keeping !!!!!!!!
I will post them when I get my hands on them !!!
chryco
P.S Thanks !
Posted By: tsanchez

Re: Down on Power - 10/21/12 02:52 PM

that dyno sheet looks weird, tq and hp cross at 5600 rpm or so, should be at 5250.

Re: Down on Power - 10/21/12 03:39 PM

Quote:

that dyno sheet looks weird, tq and hp cross at 5600 rpm or so, should be at 5250.

Lets check that out .....
The guy at the controls is David Barton
Frame 1:48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rG0doYzstE

Re: Down on Power - 10/21/12 07:23 PM

After looking at the graph again it appears the numbers on the left are not aligned, if you match them it does cross at 5250.

never mind

Seems something happened from dyno room to chassis though as it does underperform.

Re: Down on Power - 10/22/12 01:39 AM

Quote:

After looking at the graph again it appears the numbers on the left are not aligned, if you match them it does cross at 5250.

never mind

Seems something happened from dyno room to chassis though as it does underperform.

Yeah ! But WHAT !!????
LOL !!!!
Thanks for all the help on this brain buster !
MUCH appreciated !!!!
chryco

Re: Down on Power - 10/22/12 01:45 AM

Quote:

Try flow testing the system through the carb. bowls instead of directly out of the fuel lines. When I replaced the Magnfuel 275 pump with the Magnafuel 300 pump it flowed the same amount with the fuel lines(six pak, three lines) disconnected I called Magnafuel and they said that I was NOT testing the pump correctly, to restrict the flow with the same size as the needles and seat. I hooked up one fuel line and the fuel flow doubled

So hey Cab ! Do you mean I am going to be pulling the fuel bowls off , holding the floats open and flowing into the bucket while timing to 1 gal. ?

chryco

Re: Down on Power - 10/22/12 07:45 AM

I just received some proof pics from the track photographer which now show the launch. I see the car pics up the wheels lets them down then pics them up again (not as high) all from initial launch to just about the tree. It did this in all three sets .
Maybe I am starving for fuel ? I`d love to print the pics, but I haven`t paid for them yet.
chryco

Re: Down on Power - 10/22/12 01:06 PM

Quote:

I just received some proof pics from the track photographer which now show the launch. I see the car pics up the wheels lets them down then pics them up again (not as high) all from initial launch to just about the tree. It did this in all three sets .
Maybe I am starving for fuel ? I`d love to print the pics, but I haven`t paid for them yet.
chryco

Do you have jet extensions in the secondary

Re: Down on Power - 10/22/12 03:07 PM

Are you running power valves?

Re: Down on Power - 10/23/12 12:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

chryco

No I do not. Something else for my Xmas list !
Thx !
chryco

Re: Down on Power - 10/23/12 12:29 AM

Quote:

Are you running power valves?

Blocked and #90`s square . Just like on the dyno.
Thx !
chryco

Re: Down on Power - 10/23/12 12:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

chryco

Thx !
chryco

Most likely this is your problem... and a cheap fix

Re: Down on Power - 10/23/12 12:45 PM

Thanks !
Posted By: moper

Re: Down on Power - 10/23/12 05:25 PM

You're a bit beyond my normal realm - but in terms of basics - the PG is for lighter cars - under 2800lbs race weight is what I've always been told. So I'd think it would need mroe gear. But - before that I think the fuel system needs some work. I'd want -12 from sump to regulator and -10 from reg to carb if you're only filling through (2) inlets rather than (4). I don't know that two -8 can feed it that well considering the launch. Once the rest is worked out the convertor may be fine.

Re: Down on Power - 10/23/12 06:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

chryco

Thx !
chryco

Fix the little stuff first and go from there I forgot about jet extensions being mandatory on 11 second and faster cars

Re: Down on Power - 10/23/12 10:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So hey Cab ! Do you mean I am going to be pulling the fuel bowls off , holding the floats open and flowing into the bucket while timing to 1 gal. ?

chryco

Re: Down on Power - 10/25/12 04:03 AM

Thanks for all the help on this problem Guys! I now have a direction to aim for and get that car down the track a little faster / quicker next season. I did FINALLY find my time slips and here`s the most legible one also the faster of the day.
chryco
Mine`s #426 (left lane)

© 2024 Moparts Forums