Moparts

crank trigger or new distributor

Posted By: mopar dave

crank trigger or new distributor - 09/23/12 12:56 AM

After installing new t chain and bronze gear ignition timing still retards 5*@4000. Been looking at different distributors and just looked at an msd crank trigger for small block.
What are the pros and cons of a crank trigger for street strip duty?
Posted By: Plymouth340

Re: crank trigger or new distributor - 09/23/12 01:20 AM

crank trigger its the way to go. dead on timing...after you get one you will never go back.

Re: crank trigger or new distributor - 09/23/12 01:47 AM

How tough would it be to install?
Posted By: mopar65

Re: crank trigger or new distributor - 09/23/12 01:55 AM

Quote:

How tough would it be to install?

First question i have is what Brand blancer do you have and bolting the crank trigger is pretty easy. mopar65

Re: crank trigger or new distributor - 09/23/12 02:15 AM

Pro comp.

Re: crank trigger or new distributor - 09/23/12 02:22 AM

Quote:

Pro comp.

Does it have a flat face or does it have a recess wear the pulley bolts on? i ask this because i had the new stile fluid dampener that the Mounting face for the pulley was recessed in. I was trying to use a MSD crank trigger and it would not work.I had to have a spacer made that would support the center of the crank trigger. mopar65
Posted By: AndyF

Re: crank trigger or new distributor - 09/23/12 02:51 AM

I went with a crank trigger and a belt driven distributor. That combo cleaned up a bunch of issues.

Attached picture 7390764-cranktrigger.jpg

Re: crank trigger or new distributor - 09/23/12 03:24 AM

very nice looking set up you have there Andy and when i get the money i will be going the crank trigger route too.Mopar65

Re: crank trigger or new distributor - 09/23/12 03:54 AM

damper has a flat face. nice set up there andy. what brand of crank trigger is that? what brand can anyone recommend.

Re: crank trigger or new distributor - 09/23/12 04:07 AM

sorry i was wrong. damper is a compitition products/proffesional products.

Attached picture 7390901-compititionproducts.gif

Re: crank trigger or new distributor - 09/23/12 04:41 AM

well you are all set then. i would just get the msd version.

here is what the one looks like that i was using.
http://www.fluidampr.com/product/720311/
Posted By: 408Dust

Re: crank trigger or new distributor - 09/23/12 08:30 AM

Quote:

Crank trigger should be mandatory when using that dampner, it will keep the outer ring from flying off your motor when the screws back out or break.

Re: crank trigger or new distributor - 09/23/12 02:23 PM

i had a fluid dampner at one time. i understand the problem you had. MSD is the best one i'v looked at yet with the flying magnets.
Posted By: SuperStock68Dart

Re: crank trigger or new distributor - 09/25/12 09:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Crank trigger should be mandatory when using that dampner, it will keep the outer ring from flying off your motor when the screws back out or break.

had this happen three times to me while running customer cars on the chassis dyno....flying ring of death!!! ATI is all I use

Re: crank trigger or new distributor - 09/26/12 12:09 AM

You had three rings come the proffessional products dampner? Never heard of anyone having trouble with them before.
Posted By: 408Dust

Re: crank trigger or new distributor - 09/26/12 12:13 AM

I had two of them come off only thng that kept them from comng all the way off was the crank trigger.How that dampner got a SFI rating is beyond me,do yourself a favor and buy a ATI.

Re: crank trigger or new distributor - 09/26/12 12:30 AM

Next time it comes off i will. Installing crank trigger tomorrow. Instructions suck,but should'nt be too bad.
Posted By: SuperStock68Dart

Re: crank trigger or new distributor - 09/27/12 04:54 PM

Quote:

You had three rings come the proffessional products dampner? Never heard of anyone having trouble with them before.

Yes I did...we had the above ground Dynojet....so the cars were up in the air on the lift. The rings would come off and fly around the shop....kinda like the old video game "pong"!
© 2024 Moparts Forums