Moparts

Roll bar main hoop question

Posted By: The Sphinx

Roll bar main hoop question - 09/15/12 10:15 PM

Is it better to weld the main hoop to the 6X6 plates or would it be better to just run a 2X3 brace from the subframe connecter to the rocker panel and weld the hoop to. Subframe connecters come through the floor as would the 2X3 brace. My main worry is that the floor pan (its rust free) is about as thick as a common Miller light beer can.
Posted By: gearjammerdart

Re: Roll bar main hoop question - 09/16/12 02:48 AM

You can use 2x2 1/8" wall from the sub frame connector to the rocker but make sure you plate the rocker. I use the 6x6 1/8" plate cut down to fit.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Roll bar main hoop question - 09/16/12 03:47 AM

Unless you are already planning it, it will help chassis stiffness if you run "inboard" bars behind the seats from the main hoop/crossbar junction to the frame connectors as well.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Roll bar main hoop question - 09/16/12 01:57 PM

Quote:

Unless you are already planning it, it will help chassis stiffness if you run "inboard" bars behind the seats from the main hoop/crossbar junction to the frame connectors as well.

Yep
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Roll bar main hoop question - 09/16/12 10:43 PM

Quote:

You can use 2x2 1/8" wall from the sub frame connector to the rocker but make sure you plate the rocker. I use the 6x6 1/8" plate cut down to fit.

Yep simply welding to the rocker is OK with mild steel but, better to plate and weld plate to the rocker with MIG. Then especially if using 1 5/8 moly tube you can TIG the support member to the plate. I like using round tube for this and do not weld any portion of the cage or support members to the car until everything is welded all the way around. Then simply put everything back in the permament position and crying about welds you can't make you can leave to people who know no better.

Leon
© 2024 Moparts Forums