Moparts

Billy "the Kid " Stepp????

Posted By: hemiparts

Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/11/08 04:44 AM

Does anyone one know if the Billy Stepp, owner of the Billy " the kid" Super Stock/ Pro Stock teams is still around ??? Does anyone have one of his cars ?? You see all sorts of survivors being drug out and restored and put back on the track, but I don't recall seeing a Billy "the kid " car anywhere. These cars had awsome paint schemes and would make a great nostalgia Pro Stocker. pic courtsey Hemi Fred prostockhemi.com

Attached picture 4805577-24.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 11/11/08 04:49 AM

Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Billy "the Kid " Steppe ???? - 11/11/08 06:09 AM

Here's a pic of the 72 Demon...

You're right. Seems odd that of all the old race cars coming out of the woodwork, none of his cars.

Anyone had any contact with Melvin Yow? Didn't he drive of his cars...?? Fred???

Attached picture 4805662-billythekid_72_spring.jpg

Re: Billy "the Kid " Steppe ???? - 11/11/08 12:52 PM

Yes, Melvin did drive one of the Billy " The Kid " cars he is retired from racing living in Eastern NC enjoying his grand children.

Attached picture 4805812-38.jpg

Re: Billy "the Kid " Steppe ???? - 11/11/08 12:55 PM

One of my favorite Billy "The Kid" pics !!

Attached picture 4805815-BillyStepp_73Demonwithteam.jpg
Posted By: sixpackjeff

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/11/08 01:38 PM

Yes, Mr. Stepp is still around, as is his son Billy, for whom the cars were named. They put together a new Pro Stock Neon team around 8 years ago and ran for two years with limited success. That car is now campaigned as the Motown Missle by Arnie Klann of California. I used to own Stepp's first Challenger (it no longer has its original paint scheme), which is now in the hands of a collector in MN. Stepp's Plymouth Arrow (driven by Ronnie Sox) is being raced as a Super Gas car in PA and the owner is well aware of its history. His Colt was totalled at Bristol by Melvin Yow after it was sold to Gil Kirk's Rod Shop, but before Kirk could take delivery. Ouch. The second Challenger and the Demon ended up in the hands of Carmen Rotunda and Rufus "Brooklyn Heavy" Boyd, but disappeared after Heavy was sent on a government vacation. IRS seizure? Don't know. The "Independent" Dart Sport? Also don't know. Stepp was upset when Chrysler cancelled his parts deal. The cars were painted by the "Egyptian", a friend of Ed Newton's and Big Daddy Ed Roth, who still lives and paints in Dayton, OH (Stepp's hometown). Mr Stepp is a very private person and is difficult to contact without a proper introduction. I'm pleased to say I'm one of the few history buffs that has made his acquaintance. Hopefully someone here knows of the Dart's location...
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/11/08 01:41 PM

Bobby Yowell was driving the Colt when it was destroyed at Bristol. What happened is that they forgot to put the wheelie bars in position before the pass, and it rolled and was destroyed. Melvin was running the Dart Sport, and both cars were being campaigned.

Yowell was another driver from the Dayton area, who had some prior success with a S&M built Duster. It was well known for it's beautiful paint scheme. I do not know what ever happened to Yowell or the Duster. His family had run a moving business in that area....I don't know if they are still around.

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/11/08 01:59 PM

You're right! I questioned myself when I wrote that. Yowell/Yow; chicken/egg. Anyway, Stepp probably had more drivers than any other single car team. Dick Humpbert, Don Carlton, Herb McC (but only for one race), Carmen Rotunda, Yowell, Yow, Sox... I'm sure I'm missing a couple. BTW I've still noticed Yowell Trucking semis on the road in the not too distant past.

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/11/08 02:00 PM

Oh yea. Stu McDade.
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/11/08 02:14 PM

One of mr Stepp's old cars is in Finland, however ist's one of the newest, an Avenger. Currently with a GM powerplant, although the B1-TS engine is still around and available.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/11/08 02:33 PM

Love these threads with history of the early Pro Stock, and the not so well known pioneers of the sprot.

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff
Posted By: Ludington1

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/11/08 02:40 PM

There was an original 70/71 Billy The Kid Challenger still in the original paint scheme in Muncie, IN back in 1994. I saw the car several times, I was a 16 year-old and just trying to get my 318 Challenger on the road a guy befriended me and helped me get a few things sorted out on it.

Turned out he told me to stop by his shop and had that Challenger, a 67 Hemi GTX, and a Gas Rhonda Mustang race car with the 427 OHC engine... I was amazed by those cars and still remember them well.

I don't want to post the guy's name on here, but he was a very nice guy. Anyone else here know the guy from Muncie that I'm talking about? I am going up to visit my parents this year for Christmas, maybe I'll try and pay him a visit.

Darren

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/11/08 03:05 PM

Darren,
I believe that is my old car, which was sold to my Indiana friend in the mid nineties. It had a hippie paint scheme by the Egyptian, but it was not the original scheme. The car then went to Minnesota where it is in very good hands.
Posted By: Ludington1

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/11/08 03:20 PM

Quote:

Darren,
I believe that is my old car, which was sold to my Indiana friend in the mid nineties. It had a hippie paint scheme by the Egyptian, but it was not the original scheme. The car then went to Minnesota where it is in very good hands.

This guy was Mike C. If we're talking about the same guy, do you know how he is doing? Again, I haven't seen or heard from him in years, he had two boys that must be in their early 20s now, I am now 30 and they were a few years younger than me but not yet interested in their Dad's cars.

The paint scheme, at least the name/lettering, looked just like the cars pictured above, it was definitely still in the Billy The Kid colors and lettering, maybe something extra was added that I'm not remembering now.

Darren
Posted By: dan1320

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/11/08 08:14 PM

I just met and got a die cast of Bobby Yowells Duster from his brother Vic. Pretty cool piece...
Posted By: Greg

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/11/08 08:33 PM

One of the cars is still located in Ohio. I was fortunate enough to see it a month or two ago. I don't know if the owner wants everyone to know the location. Next time I talk to him I will ask him if he minds his name being given out to the public.

Post deleted by Defbob - 11/11/08 08:45 PM

Posted By: 440dart

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/11/08 10:00 PM

The wealth of knowlege on this site never ceases to amaze me. I hope you old!! guys have all this imformation written down somewhere.

Thanks for sharing,
Jack
Posted By: clyde

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/11/08 11:51 PM

I remember my Dad racing against Mr Stepp on bikes at Kil-Kare in the late 60's

Post deleted by Defbob - 11/12/08 12:16 AM

Posted By: moprod

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/12/08 01:09 AM

This was taken on the very day Brooklyn Heavy showed up to buy the car at Bluegrass Dragway.

Attached picture 4807238-steppjenkins.JPG
Posted By: dan1320

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/12/08 04:22 AM

I was on the starting line that day with a friend who was racing a Camaro at the time. Almost wanted to cry seeing that crash. Being from Dayton and living right down the street from Yowell Trans. I was a big fan of Bill and Bobby and spent a lot of time riding my bike thru the parking lot just trying to get a glimpse of anyone or any car that might be there. One afternoon I rode up there and saw the cars of Sox, Stepp, Jenkins and I think Wally Booth as they were all pulling out headed to Kil-Kare for a Match Race. I remember begging my old man to take me to the track but he refused. Not sure where I got my love of racing but it sure wasn't from him.
Posted By: Racebuddy

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/14/08 01:57 PM

I was at Kil-Kare for a match race between the colt and grumpy. Lombardo was driving instead of da grump. that was disappointing. i have a few good photo's of the colt though. what year could this be?? 72? 74?
Posted By: MLR426

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/25/08 07:20 PM

Quote:

There was an original 70/71 Billy The Kid Challenger still in the original paint scheme in Muncie, IN back in 1994. I saw the car several times, I was a 16 year-old and just trying to get my 318 Challenger on the road a guy befriended me and helped me get a few things sorted out on it.

Turned out he told me to stop by his shop and had that Challenger, a 67 Hemi GTX, and a Gas Rhonda Mustang race car with the 427 OHC engine... I was amazed by those cars and still remember them well.

I don't want to post the guy's name on here, but he was a very nice guy. Anyone else here know the guy from Muncie that I'm talking about? I am going up to visit my parents this year for Christmas, maybe I'll try and pay him a visit.

Darren

Around that time did this guy have a yellow 68
fast back Barracuda race car ? Muncie or Fort Wayne ?

logan426
Posted By: deaks

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/25/08 11:18 PM

Sixpack Jeff
The Brooklyn heavy was sold to a guy in England along with a Duster that had a similar name and i think it's now in Sweden.
Posted By: HOTHEMI

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/28/08 01:23 AM

Stepps Demon was found recently in the Maryland area I believe by the guy that owns the unrestored Gaults Sinclair tuqouise colored 68 Road Runner stocker that has appeared in MCG awhile back. Maybe a member here?
Posted By: 383man

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 11/28/08 04:09 PM

I really liked his cars. The 72 Demon was my favorite. They ran very good also as I remember the Challemger beating Sox ay the 71 Indy National's and Sox protested the car for to much weight on the rear. I believe Paul Frost was his eng builder but not positive on that. Ron

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 12/22/08 08:11 PM

I wish to thank everyone who has posted a positive quote on my daddy "Billy the Kid Stepp". Daddy loved racing and all that it entailed.

God bless,
~Nina Stepp

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 12/22/08 08:40 PM

Quote:

I wish to thank everyone who has posted a positive quote on my daddy "Billy the Kid Stepp". Daddy loved racing and all that it entailed.

God bless,
~Nina Stepp

Welcome to Moparts Nina.

I believe there are a couple different threads about your dad flying around on here.

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 12/22/08 10:16 PM

My uncle worked with your father's race teams for years and never had anything but great things to say about him. Truely a class act that will be missed

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 12/22/08 11:20 PM

Nina, you've got a PM.

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 12/26/08 05:57 PM

My daddy passed away on Thanksgiving Day of this year. The familia misses him terribly. I would be very interested in receiving stories and such. Just so you know, Daddy left me the "power of attorney" to his estate. People are asking if I will build a website for my daddy...I think I will.

A huge thank you to everyone who cared about my father's racing career.

God bless,
~Nina Stepp

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 12/26/08 06:05 PM

Hello, this is Billy the Kid's Daughter ~Nina. The cars were named after my father not my brother. Daddy was "Billy the Kid". If you will please look close enough to any of the paint jobs on the car you will see one was the "Billy" car and one was the "Nina" car. Daddy gave us EACH a car. It's pretty faint to view but it's located on the door or front end.

I am proud to be Bill Stepp's daughter and I thank everyone who has been so very kind and speaks well of my daddy!

God bless to all of you!
~Nina

Re: Billy "the Kid " Steppe ???? - 12/26/08 06:13 PM

Thank you for your interest in my daddy's cars. Daddy passed away on Thanksgiving Day. We miss him terribly.

Take care and God bless,
~Nina Stepp
Billy the Kid Daughter

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 12/26/08 06:19 PM

Thank you for welcoming me into this fine "group" of enthusiasts. Maybe one day I will tell you some crazy stories of my daddy, but only if you tell me one first! LOL
God bless,
~Nina

Re: Billy "the Kid " Steppe ???? - 12/26/08 06:22 PM

We would love to see a site with old photos of your dad and the cars. Sorry for your loss, I lost my mother this year also.

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 12/26/08 06:26 PM

Thank you so very much. My daddy was a gentleman through and through. I miss him terribly, thank you for being kind and sharing positive moments!

God bless,
~Nina Stepp
Bill the Kid Stepp's daughter

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 12/26/08 06:31 PM

Thank you for welcoming me into this community. My daddy respected racing and all who participated.

God bless,
~Nina

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 12/26/08 06:31 PM

Here's a photo I snapped very quickly, taken a Bristol many years ago when the Dodge Colt rolled over.

Attached picture 4902638-colt4.JPG

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 12/27/08 12:44 AM

Back when Billy had the Super Stock 68'Cuda, Ray Christian and him used to really go at it..Of course this was at Kil-Kare..I remember one time Ray said something smart and Billy had a couple of big henchmen chase him all over the pits..Billy was just playing a joke on Ray, but it must have taken 15 minutes to catch Ray and have a laugh...He thought they were serious...
Billy was a great guy, I talked to him a lot of times back in the day....

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 01/02/09 09:07 PM

I loved your story regarding my dad "Billy the Kid" or Bill Stepp.

Thank you for a good laugh!

~Nina Stepp
"Billy The Kid" Daughter

Re: Billy "the Kid " Steppe ???? - 01/02/09 09:23 PM

There is a funny story regarding the photograph where my daddy and the crew dressed as mafia.

Paul Frost, Stu McDade, my dad and "some model" went to the cemetery to have these pictures taken. When they were finally developed I looked at it and started laughing. I said, "Only you would have thought of that", he said, "I thought it would be funny to dress mafia."

I then said, "No, the monument, the tombstone" that was when he looked to the right of Paul Frost and engraved on one of the standing tombstones is the name "Stept".

Dad never planned this part of the photo...it just happened!

God Bless,
~Nina Stepp
Billy Kid Daughter
Posted By: j oliverio

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 01/02/09 09:41 PM

One of the 68 Cudas was "The Sting" owned by Randy Morgan" it was one of the slickest SS/AA cars in it's day.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 01/03/09 03:19 AM

Quote:

One of the 68 Cudas was "The Sting" owned by Randy Morgan" it was one of the slickest SS/AA cars in it's day.

Was it this one?

Attached picture 4919233-IM000649.JPG

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 01/03/09 04:01 AM

Quote:

The Sting cuda was definitly a choice piece...I raced against it several times...I thought Phil Roar bought it from Morgan....

Attached picture 4919327-savoy006.jpg
Posted By: j oliverio

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 01/03/09 02:41 PM

I can't remember who bought it from Randy's wife after he died. I don't know where it is today.His brothers car is owned by Don Soloman I think.
Posted By: B Dartman

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 01/03/09 03:51 PM

Good pict of The Kid w/Ronnie Sox...

Billy "The Kid" Stepp
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 01/04/09 12:24 AM

Quote:

I can't remember who bought it from Randy's wife after he died. I don't know where it is today.His brothers car is owned by Don Soloman I think.

Where was the car from? The black one above was one of Stepp's cars and was purchased from Canada a few years back.
Posted By: mikeg

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 01/04/09 01:15 AM

At Heartland Park Topeka

Attached picture 4921073-Kid-1.jpg
Posted By: mikeg

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 01/04/09 01:16 AM

another from Heartland Park Topeka

Attached picture 4921077-Kid-2.jpg

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 01/04/09 02:27 AM

Is that Tony Christian in the picture ???
Posted By: CRT

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 01/04/09 03:38 PM

A few pics

Attached picture 4922233-Sox&Martinpics024.jpg
Posted By: CRT

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 01/04/09 03:41 PM

Attached picture 4922241-Sox&Martinpics025.jpg
Posted By: bentwheel43

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 01/06/09 04:40 AM

I took this picture at Laplace Dragway in the 70's do you know these guys,who is the dark hair guy?
Posted By: LIL'BROTHER

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 01/06/09 04:20 PM

THE DARK HAIR GUY IS MIKE DUCKETT.HE WORKED AT SOX & MARTIN.HE HELPED CREW ON MY 340 CAR & MY PRO CAR IN 73.LATER WORKED WITH RONNIE & HERB.LOST CONTACT WITH HIM ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO.DAVID

Re: Billy "the Kid " Steppe ???? - 02/19/09 11:53 AM

Came across this one on the H.A.M.B.

Attached picture 5036803-BillStepp.jpg

Re: Billy "the Kid " Steppe ???? - 02/21/09 01:28 AM

Another from HAMB site...

Attached picture 5040536-BillStepp2.jpg

Re: Billy "the Kid " Steppe ???? - 02/21/09 01:36 AM

nudder one....

Attached picture 5040561-BillStepp3.jpg

Re: Billy "the Kid " Steppe ???? - 02/21/09 01:37 AM

And again...hmmmm who's that in the other lane

Attached picture 5040564-BillStepp4.jpg

Re: Billy "the Kid " Steppe ???? - 02/21/09 01:38 AM

Outta my way fool!

Attached picture 5040568-BillStepp6.jpg

Re: Billy "the Kid " Steppe ???? - 02/21/09 01:39 AM

Last one...

Attached picture 5040569-BillStepp5.jpg

Re: Billy "the Kid " Steppe ???? - 02/21/09 03:45 AM

Quote:

Last one...

1 of those fine fellows lined up aginst the car is my uncle Clayton or " Clay " as he was listed on the quarter panel of the car usely right under Paul Frost's name. Anyone know of Paul's whereabouts?? He's never really been mentioned alot in the thread

Attached picture 5040833-24.jpg

Re: Billy "the Kid " Steppe ???? - 03/06/09 12:12 PM

Boilin the hides...

Attached picture 5073814-202.jpg
Posted By: greenpigs

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 10/23/10 05:03 AM

Did a seach and found this. Back in high school I had a class with Bill Stepp.....Billy "the Kid" Stepps nephew. He told me all the cars were in a warehouse in Dayton and if I wanted to look at them. I declined but wish I would have took him up on it now. That was in the late 80's, so anyways it sounds like the collection was broken up soon after. Also my wife said Steppe rented a garage her Grandparents owned & they would block off the street and do "testing" on it.

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 10/23/10 04:20 PM

You can't have too many pictures

Posted By: chris3

Re: Billy "the Kid " Stepp???? - 10/23/10 11:19 PM

I would like to have a copy of this photo. My brothers name is on the back corner of the rear fender, under Paul Frost's name.
© 2024 Moparts Forums