Moparts

certification is it even worth it????

Posted By: earthmover

certification is it even worth it???? - 09/02/12 03:18 AM

been reading and doing a lot of looking and see alot complaining about how nhra is sticking it to you with all the changes..belts,helmets,window nets, and so on...i thought i would like to have my project cert. just in case...but thinking as i am close to mostly outlaw tracks should i just finish the car and race or do the cert. on it??? would it add value if i ever sell????if i do the cert. i will have to buy all stuff as i never had any of it..i have belts and helmet but out of date....was good before just date ran out..what are most of you guys doing ???????seem like a lot of cash when i may never use the cert..mike
Posted By: BlueDart

Re: certification is it even worth it???? - 09/02/12 03:38 AM

the cert is on the chassis not the belts or window net and it should add value to the car
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: certification is it even worth it???? - 09/02/12 03:39 AM

No cert little or no resale value and slimmer chances of findng a buyer. FOR ADDED COST IN THE BUILD IT'S A MUST
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: certification is it even worth it???? - 09/02/12 03:45 AM

The cert is worth it... whether you use it or not
Posted By: earthmover

Re: certification is it even worth it???? - 09/02/12 03:52 AM

thanks guys..i was wondering if it would add to the car if i sell someday...so i guess i am going to do it.. sorry for all the ???? just trying to get a grip on what my plans are for this car...

Re: certification is it even worth it???? - 09/02/12 04:17 AM

Quote:

thanks guys..i was wondering if it would add to the car if i sell someday...so i guess i am going to do it.. sorry for all the ???? just trying to get a grip on what my plans are for this car...

If you KNOW it'll cert and dont plan on racing at a
track that checks then dont bother getting it certed
UNTIL you plan on selling... why waste $85 for a
sticker every few years
Posted By: SD800

Re: certification is it even worth it???? - 09/02/12 04:50 AM

Getting mine recertified tomorrow,$180.00

Attached picture 7361018-0628121541.jpg

Re: certification is it even worth it???? - 09/02/12 04:58 AM

Quote:

Getting mine recertified tomorrow,$180.00

WOW... it sure went up... my last cert was I think
$90... but I'm due again.. but that wont happen till
spring... I usually get it done at the track when
they do a group of cars... are you paying for him
to drive to your place
Posted By: jamesc

Re: certification is it even worth it???? - 09/02/12 03:23 PM

price of chassis certs doubled
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: certification is it even worth it???? - 09/02/12 03:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

sticker every few years

and in a cple of years...who knows it might need updates

Rickster
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: certification is it even worth it???? - 09/02/12 05:21 PM

When I had the NHRA rep come to my shop 3 years ago,it was 1 week after the rates went up.Cost me $250 and the cert ran out before I got the car back together
Same with the belts I bought,cert ran out while they were in the box.
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: certification is it even worth it???? - 09/02/12 06:52 PM

Quote:

sticker every few years

and in a cple of years...who knows it might need updates

YUP!! x 2!! they will rob you blind if you let'em.
Few years back when I had 3 cars and raced both ra's it cost almost $1k a year just to stay current. All done with that garbage. Don't even look at the date on my Dart!!

Posted By: EV2CUDA

Re: certification is it even worth it???? - 09/03/12 06:18 PM

The time to exp should be doubled for everything. It's the knuckle head behind the wheel which usually is the problem.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: certification is it even worth it???? - 09/03/12 07:38 PM

I agree you car needs to be safe,but some of the NHRA rules suck. I tend to shy away from the tracks that are so strict as well as most others also do! Most tracks down here won't let you run unsafe junk,but don't give you any grief.
Posted By: Dabee

Re: certification is it even worth it???? - 09/03/12 08:51 PM

I quit running the dragster because of cost. Now I run Da Beast and keep it above the cert cut off ET. Besides my home track is an outlaw track.
Posted By: instigator

Re: certification is it even worth it???? - 09/03/12 09:02 PM

Mover, you know aint none of our local tracks going to care......hell, you could run at fayettevile with a rope around your neck as a seatbelt!
Posted By: dartman366

Re: certification is it even worth it???? - 09/03/12 10:00 PM

Quote:

price of chassis certs doubled

well suprise suprise, they got to feed the fat cats somehow, god forbid they would take a pay cut of any magnitude or forgo a pay raise to help keep the little guy/grassroots racers in the sport.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: certification is it even worth it???? - 09/03/12 10:08 PM

Quote:

Mover, you know aint none of our local tracks going to care......hell, you could run at fayettevile with a rope around your neck as a seatbelt!

I'd wait until you get ready to sell it to have it certified. It will definitely help w/ resale, but around here you'll never need it. I had mine NHRA cert'd in '08 only so I could run one race where I knew they'd check it. Cost me $125 in a group deal. Lasted 3 years, but I let it expire. My IHRA comp license on the other hand, I keep it up to date b/c it was kind of a PITA to get.

The only track anywhere around here that might check for a chassis cert is ZMAX, but I'm not even sure they check all that crap on T&T nights.
Posted By: Twin Turbo Mower

Re: certification is it even worth it???? - 09/03/12 11:31 PM

Had mine done 3 weeks ago cost me 185.00.
© 2024 Moparts Forums