Moparts

Comp Cams 10* Super Locs

Posted By: CHAPPER

Comp Cams 10* Super Locs - 08/30/12 12:43 AM

Looking for a better loc than their's. I have had 4 failures with them in the past 2 years. Most were caught before any major damage,,ONE wasn't.!!..guess whose engine that ONE was on??
It appears that some of the locs are soft, as in not getting the heat treat that the others are getting. It is not a complete set that is wearing and pulling through, just one on an entire engine.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Comp Cams 10* Super Locs - 08/30/12 01:40 AM

ISKY.................
Posted By: avenger572

Re: Comp Cams 10* Super Locs - 08/30/12 02:13 AM

Sounds like not enough seat spring presure. Valves are bouncing when they close and wearing the lock grooves.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Comp Cams 10* Super Locs - 08/30/12 02:22 AM

the 10° came about because of instances of the 7° pulling through. i've used 10s without incident but one thing i can say is that there's always been a burr on the valve lock groove upon disassembly, the 10s simply don't wedge as tight due to the angle. afaik the super 7s are the best setup going these days. imho before condemning the locks make sure there aren't other valvetrain issues. i'm willing to bet when it comes to parts such as locks, springs, retainers etc. there aren't a lot of different manufactures making them. most are probably coming from the same (few) sources then labeled by the sellers as their own so don't think just because you buy them from a different company you're getting a different part. 2¢
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Comp Cams 10* Super Locs - 08/30/12 03:45 AM

Agree on the super 7's single round grove being the best thing going. Hughes sells them, but I don't know who makes them.
Posted By: BIGSPEED

Re: Comp Cams 10* Super Locs - 08/30/12 04:12 AM

We use the Comp 10 degree on most of our engines thst use a shelf stock valve with square grooves,no failures with thousands of runs logged.We use Bead Loc@ radius grooves 10 degree when we order custom valves,and again no failures.Bill C.
Posted By: skrews

Re: Comp Cams 10* Super Locs - 08/30/12 11:05 AM

Crower or Manley nothing better. Comp 10* aren't even machined at a true 10*, and quality is hit or miss at times with those guys.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Comp Cams 10* Super Locs - 08/30/12 12:27 PM

I haven't seen any ten degree failures from the lock failing. That being said, my brain still likes the increased stem clamping a 7, or super 7 provides. I understand it puts more load on the retainer by making the wedge tighter like an axe, but I like the thought of that better. Just personal weirdness.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Comp Cams 10* Super Locs - 08/30/12 01:44 PM

Interesting discussion...When Radar put my MP aluminum heads together,he used all Manley hardware..I think we will use the Manley stuff on the new Victors...
Posted By: BIGSPEED

Re: Comp Cams 10* Super Locs - 08/30/12 10:03 PM

Comp and Manley come off the same machines.Bill C.
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: Comp Cams 10* Super Locs - 08/31/12 05:13 AM

I was assembling my motor with the Comp 10 deg. and did not like the fit at all. I replace both the locks and retainers with Isky 10 deg. and the fit was much much better.
I have the comps on the shelf, where they will probably forever sit.
© 2024 Moparts Forums