Moparts

Valve spring installed height ??

Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Valve spring installed height ?? - 08/26/12 04:57 AM

How much leway is allowable to the valve spring installed height? My springs call for an installed height of 1.900". I have several that are less than that by .003"-.006", and most are above 1.900" by the same amount. Shims start at .015", so I'm guessing that inside that number will be an acceptable tolerance? I do have one that needs a .015" shim to bring it to +.006".
Also, how close to coil bind can the springs be and still be safe?

Thanks,
Brian Dunnigan
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Valve spring installed height ?? - 08/26/12 06:47 AM

I was in the same boat needing 1.900 but was a bit shy and we made it work and I`m at about .060 from coil bind at a true .660 lift.
Posted By: skrews

Re: Valve spring installed height ?? - 08/26/12 09:10 AM

I shoot for .010 + or -. Running the springs as close to coil bind with out coming to close will cancel out a lot of spring surge and harmonics.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Valve spring installed height ?? - 08/26/12 06:22 PM

I don't go by installed heghts,, I have a spring tester and I set them up with shims as needed so I have .060 to .080 from coil bind at full lift You will need to check your lift at the retainers after that to insure you don't have a roque rocker that has more ratio than it takes to coil bind your springs I write down each installed hieght with the shims and check all the valve lifts at the retainers I usually end up with less lift at the retainer than the cam should open the valves, deflection and bending of parts does that I have had rockers that make more lift than advertised as well as less lift
Posted By: BIGSPEED

Re: Valve spring installed height ?? - 08/27/12 05:41 AM

Quote:

I don't go by installed heghts,, I have a spring tester and I set them up with shims as needed so I have .060 to .080 from coil bind at full lift You will need to check your lift at the retainers after that to insure you don't have a roque rocker that has more ratio than it takes to coil bind your springs I write down each installed hieght with the shims and check all the valve lifts at the retainers I usually end up with less lift at the retainer than the cam should open the valves, deflection and bending of parts does that I have had rockers that make more lift than advertised as well as less lift

X2
© 2024 Moparts Forums