Moparts

4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20?

Posted By: mshred

4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 08/05/12 05:34 PM

Hey guys,

Im going to be wiring up my nitrous on my 4 speed car and would like to use a clutch switch to actuate it. I have the clutch switch mounted right now, albeit I don't use it because it stopped working for some reason (need to pull it off and test it). I have read of those on here saying it hurts the thrust bearing? How so?

Is it same to use to actuate something like a two step or nitrous, or should I use something else?

Thanks!
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: 4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 08/05/12 10:38 PM

ive always wanted to run ground switches at the gear levers so it only activates if the trans finds the gears..if it doesnt engauge it doesnt activate the nitrous..
with only the clutch switch if you release the clutch with a missed shift you will be boosting the motor with no load on it....shaAWING...

however i run an auto...

cheapst
Posted By: toddd

Re: 4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 08/05/12 10:44 PM

Can you mount the switch on the shifter, so it switch is "on' after it is in gear?.

You know my feeling on that Matt....

Re: 4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 08/05/12 10:54 PM

hey guys,

thanks for the input, and I see where you guys are coming from...But I feel like pressing a button for the nitrous is just one more thing I have to worry about during the pass on top of hitting the gears...atleast with the clutch switch the nitrous will activate automatically if the pedal is depressed, plus I am going to use a window switch to cut the nitrous during each shift. A clutch switch seems to be the standard way of using nitrous with a stick shift, and I haven't heard any negatives about it.

I have to use a clutch switch regardless, just a matter of whether the stock one will work for me or not
Posted By: mike54

Re: 4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 08/06/12 12:02 AM

i have the nitrous button on the shifter....IF i ever missed a gear i would have control on the nitrous
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: 4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 08/06/12 03:35 AM

Quote:

ive always wanted to run ground switches at the gear levers so it only activates if the trans finds the gears..if it doesnt engauge it doesnt activate the nitrous..
with only the clutch switch if you release the clutch with a missed shift you will be boosting the motor with no load on it....shaAWING...

however i run an auto...

cheapst

I had nitrous on my old mustang that was a stick car. It was on a wot switch with no other protection besides the msd rev limiter. If I missed a gear it didn't do anything stupid surprisingly. It would just dump a HUGE plume of black smoke lol. I sure wouldnt risk it without a rev limiter.

Re: 4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 08/06/12 09:28 PM

ok let me clarify.
you run a wot switch at the carb..
but you isolate the selinoid (it grounds through its mount)the grounds run through switches on the shifter or shifter linkage..so the only way the selinoid goes live is if your engaged in gear..
the only button you would need is on off..located anywhere you want it...

Re: 4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 08/06/12 10:01 PM

My pops came up with a pretty snazzy way to wire up the nitrous without using a clutch switch that still allows me to control my line lock, two step, and nitrous activation all off the button on my shifter...definitely makes things simpler

Re: 4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 08/07/12 12:49 AM

What is the "Snazzy" way Matt...???...don't keep it a secret now....

Re: 4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 08/07/12 04:09 AM

Quote:

What is the "Snazzy" way Matt...???...don't keep it a secret now....

not a secret, would just require scanning 3 separate papers of wiring diagrams that my dad drew lol
Posted By: 6pak2go

Re: 4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 08/07/12 06:44 AM

This might be of interest:
http://www.ricksswitch.com/products-page/shifter-setups/

Re: 4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 08/07/12 10:44 PM

Quote:

This might be of interest:
http://www.ricksswitch.com/products-page/shifter-setups/

he makes a good product, but im after something simpler
Posted By: rowin4

Re: 4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 08/08/12 01:42 AM

So you dump the clutch, the N20 is activated ? must have a another switch somewhere. What happens when you let up on the gas when the N20 is still activated? Sounds like a bad idea to me.

Re: 4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 08/08/12 02:52 AM

Quote:

So you dump the clutch, the N20 is activated ? must have a another switch somewhere. What happens when you let up on the gas when the N20 is still activated? Sounds like a bad idea to me.

WOT switch, so unless im at wide open throttle there is no nitrous activated....its really simple actually, just a couple of relays, but i would have to post the drawings. Two position toggle switch with 3 prongs- one position is line lock only, second position is the two step and nitrous (when the nitrous switch is activated). Hold down the button on my shifter for the two step as usual, and once I let go of the button when I dump the clutch the nitrous will be activated as long as I am at WOT...so no WOT, no nitrous

Re: 4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 11/04/12 12:40 AM

the trick with the manual transmission is if you miss a shift...and you mash wot...you will have no2 with motor unloaded...
having the circuit interrupted if the trans is not engaged into a gear..is the protection your after.
the no2 solenoid activates by grounding...
interupt the ground and it is dead..
on off switch arms dis arms the system.
wot switch activates the no2 solenoid.
ground switches on all four forward gears completes the circuit...alowing wot switch to function or be over ridden if its not in gear...
cheapst.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: 4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 11/04/12 06:52 AM

What about running an rpm window switch? (MSD)

That's what I ran on the nitrous system on my 97 Viper.
It doesn't come on until it hits a preset rpm and shuts the system off at a preset rpm (below the rev limiter rpm).

The main power switch was by the shifter.
Posted By: fasthawk6

Re: 4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 11/04/12 01:03 PM

Wot switch hooked in with 2step and line lock. I would use a window switch to have the nos shut off a few under rpms below rev limiter.The best way would be to wire off all foward gears on the shifter so that is the only time it is on but thats not the eastiest way.You really do not want the motor on the high side chip while on the spray it becomes very hard on parts. On my buddies 8.5 nos car we use a wot switch hooked in with the trans brake and 2 step to a elderbrock nos controller to leave at determined of nos amout at the hit so it makes it a little easy to leave on.Here's a pic from yesterday.

Attached picture 7447980-bgrace.jpg

Re: 4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 11/04/12 01:07 PM

He's given up on the 4 speed and is going with an auto.

Re: 4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 11/04/12 02:58 PM

Quote:

He's given up on the 4 speed and is going with an auto.

Yes, Todd is unfortunately right...But, I have the car all wired up already for the nitrous from this past summer with the 4 speed, so I did figure it all out...thanks though

Re: 4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 11/04/12 03:13 PM

Hopefully you'll get bored quickly and want some excitement back and go back to a "stick".

You seem to be having a blast no matter what you put in your car for a trans.
Posted By: gearjammerdart

Re: 4 speed guys- stock clutch switch to activate N20? - 11/04/12 07:45 PM

If you do go back to the stick you will need to use a adjustable clutch switch. The factory switch will not work. You need to be able to time the nos so that it comes on as the clutch engages. If it comes on to soon the rpms will spike and spin the tires or slip the clutch, to late and you will bogg off the line before the nos comes on. I set mine at 20 thou air gap and it worked fine. Hope this helps

Donald
© 2024 Moparts Forums