Moparts

Offset lifters.. Whats your opinion

Posted By: Jeepmon

Offset lifters.. Whats your opinion - 07/29/12 07:39 PM

After grinding the ef out of my heads, there is no way I can make my 7/16 push rods fit the RB/B1 Original combo.. Just yesterday I punched thru the intake port trying to gain that little bit of clearance I needed..

So after doing some research and talking with our friend CAB.. It sounds like the Isky Red-Zone roller lifter with the .180 intake offset is what I need to straighten this whole thing out..

However from my peabrain point of view, I would think there is too much side load on the wheel with .800 lift and 850 lbs open springs..

What's your opinion and is there any historical data to back up their reliability?

Thanks
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Offset lifters.. Whats your opinion - 07/29/12 07:44 PM

at the shop I am putting my 430 together at they have several 632 chevy big blocks with the 180 offset rocker - the one just made 1350 hp with a procharger before i put mine on the pump - so i know they work.

Small block mopars have a crazy angle to the pushrods to begin with - i doubt there would actually be much side load to the lifter since it;s pretty tight in the bore - but thats just my opinion.
Posted By: mafo

Re: Offset lifters.. Whats your opinion - 07/29/12 09:09 PM

I have had bad luck with offset lifters in 59* smallblocks, I would not do it,
in a 48* engine it works great, at least with jesel lifters

on a bigblock it should work and red zone is a great lifter
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Offset lifters.. Whats your opinion - 07/29/12 10:30 PM

It comes down to.... you dont have a choice that I see
unless you go to a smaller diameter PR with a thicker wall
Posted By: LA360

Re: Offset lifters.. Whats your opinion - 07/30/12 01:29 AM

They are a necessary evil unfortunately, I got a set of the Isky Red Zone EZX lifters for my friends B1 engine. I am really not sure you're going to notice any extra wear, a lot of people will carry on about these things on internet forums but it's based solely on their opinions rather than actual accumulated data. I'd say run them and go.
Posted By: skrews

Re: Offset lifters.. Whats your opinion - 07/30/12 02:24 AM

Never seems to be a problem for BB chevy stuff, but apples to oranges you know. See if you can get the EZ Roll bearings in them, at least then if you kill a bearing it wont drop rollers through the motor.
Posted By: BIGSPEED

Re: Offset lifters.. Whats your opinion - 07/30/12 05:46 AM

We have several engines running with up to .210 offset pushrod cups on .904 lifters.some with 1100# plus open pressure,There have been no side loading issues at all .Also we have about 40 sets of Isky EZX bushing lifters in service and about 60 sets of Std Red Zones in service.WE did early pre release testing for Isky on the bushing lifters,This is the best product to come along in a long time,when a needle bearing fails it does hundreds of dollars of damage,The EZroll is the best Insurance you can buy for your engine.Bill C.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Offset lifters.. Whats your opinion - 07/30/12 06:59 AM

THanks everyone for the information.. I hate to show my ignorance, but when shopping for the lifters, the EZ-ROLL bushing lifters was an easy choice.. However I had no clue if I needed the offset or not and I couldnt find an answer..

So I went with the standard placement lifter thinking there was too much of a chance of damaging the lifter by placing the pushrod close to the edge..

I'll be on the phone with Isky in the morning to see how much its going to cost me to swap out the intake lifters..

They say ignorance is bliss.. well I dont feel too happy right about now.. lol Thanks again for the info..
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Offset lifters.. Whats your opinion - 07/30/12 11:46 AM

We use the offset lifters on big wedges engines with no problems.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Offset lifters.. Whats your opinion - 07/30/12 12:24 PM

The offset lifter straightens the pushrod angle a bit, reducing side loads. The lifter bore keeps the lifter aligned, which keeps the load even on the roller. No problems with my setup, been using them for several years.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Offset lifters.. Whats your opinion - 07/30/12 04:59 PM

gregsdart
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Offset lifters.. Whats your opinion - 07/30/12 05:17 PM

Quote:

I'll be on the phone with Isky in the morning to see how much its going to cost me to swap out the intake lifters..

One nice thing about the top of the line Comp Cams roller lifters is the pushrod seat is replaceable, so you can change the offset and the amount of pushrod oil metering.

Not trying to compare the Isky and Comp lifters, just pointing out the nice feature Comp put in their Elite Race series.
http://www.compcams.com/v002/Products/CC-'Elite%20Race'-0.aspx

Elite Race BB Chrysler offset
© 2024 Moparts Forums