Moparts

Best B or RB dual quad intake?

Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Best B or RB dual quad intake? - 07/28/12 01:56 AM

Whats the best B or RB dual quad inline intake, that still looks kinda stock( no tunnel rams or crazy box intakes)
I'm asking because:

I'd like to put together a F.A.S.T. Like car. Not adhering to the rules to race, but something that looks close to a factory engine.

Here's my idea. Since '58 was the first year for the big block, i'd like to build a 500ish inch stroker. Stealth heads or really good ported irons. Cam will be spec'd by the head ported to match the combo. I'll use HP manifolds, that will have porting/extrude honing.
The holdback is the induction system. The 350 golden commando was dual quad only in '58, so i need a good intake. I'll grind off markings and paint tom match the engine. This engine was an option in any plymouth in '58 from the low line four door plaza, to a station wagon, and Fury.
So what's a really good intake to use? It doesn't have to be a low profile look, it can be raised like a performer rpm style. As long as once painted with the engine it passes for "close" That'll do.
Most likely will be using a 2 door sedan, for weight savings and rigidity.
Posted By: Dr-Dave2

Re: Best B or RB dual quad intake? - 07/28/12 02:23 AM

not too many choices with what you are trying to do. Edelbrock CH-28 is all I know of thats any good and still in production, (RB only)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-5440/

I would stay away from the Offenhauser offerings for a performance application
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Best B or RB dual quad intake? - 07/28/12 03:10 AM

I have a tech article on my website with some CH-28 test results. That intake worked pretty well on a 505 inch stroker.

www.arengineering.com then click on the tech articles section
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Best B or RB dual quad intake? - 07/28/12 03:50 AM

M1 (Mopar Performance) if you can find one!!
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Best B or RB dual quad intake? - 07/28/12 05:32 AM

CH-28 is the only decent performing dual quad intake I can think of for what you want to do.
Posted By: Bishop

Re: Best B or RB dual quad intake? - 07/28/12 09:56 AM

Surf over to Mopar Style and look at the results from there test, a Edelbrock STR 14 & 15 has took their car into the 9's WITH a modified intake.

Brian

Attached picture 7310855-STR-1524BBL.jpg
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Best B or RB dual quad intake? - 07/28/12 02:26 PM

No direct experience, but Vizard has tested some 2×4 dual-planes on SBC and reported very significant differences in flow rates between cylinders.
Has anyone tested the CH28?
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: Best B or RB dual quad intake? - 07/28/12 02:39 PM

Some may recall...............

Don Dulmage, a freelance writer for Chrysler Power (anyone remember that? Good reading.) ran a 73-74 440 Charger bracket car back in the early 90's or so with a CH-28. He wrote some good things about it, can't remember specifics but I would like to try one some day.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Best B or RB dual quad intake? - 07/28/12 04:28 PM

My Jensen Interceptor runs a 440 with a CH28 and two Edelbrock 500 carbs. Runs flawlessly, pulls HARD top end, great low end torque, and it even gets good gas mileage. NO drawbacks IMO.

My Charger also has a CH28 intake, but it has two Edelbrock 600s on it, it also runs great, but I haven't finished tweaking it as it has an "off spot" from time to time, slight hesitation when pounding it from a very low rpm. It's close to being 100%, but not quite yet...

I have just bought another CH28 intake, and two more Edelbrock 500 carbs. I have a warmed over 440 with a decent cam and headers, and will convert to dual quads in the fall.
It's for my...... motorhome.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Best B or RB dual quad intake? - 07/28/12 04:45 PM

Quote:

No direct experience, but Vizard has tested some 2×4 dual-planes on SBC and reported very significant differences in flow rates between cylinders.
Has anyone tested the CH28?

No doubt the flow rate between cylinders is significant. But when we did the dyno tests on the 505 engine the CH-28 worked really well. Idle quality was fantastic. Torque curve looked good, EGT's in all 8 cylinders looked normal, plugs looked good, etc.

My recommendation would be to just run it a little rich to be safe. Unless you put an O2 sensor in each header pipe you won't know for sure. Even then, you would probably have trouble fixing the issue.
© 2024 Moparts Forums