Moparts

powerglide questions

Posted By: jsmopar1072

powerglide questions - 07/26/12 01:31 AM

we have a 2800 lbs car roughly 825hp,i have a 50/50 reaction on what trans to use for racing.some say just put a 727 in it and hope for the best,others say i need a glide with an aluminum case which wont fit in an abody without cutting tunnel.next thing is who builds glides in the delaware valley area.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 01:50 AM

powerglides may not be exciting but for consistency in bracket racing it's the transmission to use. as for builders a glide is dirt simple. if you can build an engine or a 727 you can build a glide. like anything else the parts choices are determined by your wallet.

Joe Dipasquale (Joey D) does a lot of glides for racers in the delaware valley area unless you want to get one from ATI or Trans Specialties
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 01:59 AM

Quote:

a glide with an aluminum case which wont fit in an abody without cutting tunnel.

who told you that? that's incorrect info.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 02:01 AM

who ever told you a powerglide wont fit without cutting ur tunnel up,is a shoe maker...i have a pro glide in my cuda w 0 cutting

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 02:02 AM

joey d have an address and i wrote it wrong i meant a stock glide case with a sheild.

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 02:10 AM

joey lives in Palmyra. i'm assuming you run at atco and would have thought you would've heard of him. he runs a blue and silver Miller BB chevy top dragster with a hat on it. i could have swore i had his number but i just checked my phone and it's not in there. if you want i can get his number for you.

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 02:12 AM

in nj there are quite a few joey d's lol please if you you could.
Posted By: 540dust

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 02:44 AM

A glide would be perfect in your car. My experience is the Bruno's shield clears the tunnel the best. Here is a link to what you need.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/592869/1971-plymouth-duster
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 02:54 AM

Your priority's should make the choice for you. Pro tree class? Glide. Love the hard launch? Torqueflite.

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 03:21 AM

540dust i like your car.lol

Attached picture 7307961-2012-07-0112.56.44.jpg

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 04:06 AM

will do Jeff, i just emailed Greg Kelly he should have his number

i think this is what his car (blue dragster) looks like now

Joey D

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 04:10 AM

james who is better than you?

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 04:17 AM

Quote:

james who is better than you?

a depressingly large number of people
Posted By: Ian

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 04:29 AM

i have a glide in a a body no probs fitting it in there ,nice to drive too
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 04:44 AM

Quote:

we have a 2800 lbs car roughly 825hp,i have a 50/50 reaction on what trans to use for racing.some say just put a 727 in it and hope for the best,others say i need a glide with an aluminum case which wont fit in an abody without cutting tunnel.next thing is who builds glides in the delaware valley area.

Silly stuff..

No cutting, and a Bruno or CSR shield will work fine..

My B1 3000# Barracuda runs 8.80's @ 152+ 3500' DA bad air here in Phoenix with a 9" converter and a 4.10 gear..

But it will go red on a .400 tree also with a soft converter..

Never broke a stock glide input or gear set.

Did break a 1.96 TCI gear set once..

You probably shouldn't listen to die hard "gotta run all Mopar" guys..

They'll give you a headache..

Chris..

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 05:04 AM

purist can hem and haw about glides all they want the simple fact is that when it comes to repeating ETs the glide is the transmission of choice. glides have won more rounds of bracket racing and index racing than all other transmissions combined. you don't have to like them but the fact remains that at the end of the day the last two cars in the staging lanes will have a glide in them

as a youngster we absolutely hated glides and did everything we could to eradicate the species
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 10:45 AM

James, I have had great success getting consistency out of my TF, and if a guy is struggling in the 60 ft he can always take some gear out of it. I do have to admit that I use an airshifter, so having that being part of my success with consistency both of your points are valid to some degree.
440JIM has been killer with a torqueflite, and done very well with it.
Posted By: SG duster

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 12:32 PM

Iv got a stock case glide with a sheild in a duster, fits as good as the 727 did,

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 01:38 PM

i'm not saying you can't win with a three speed but the fact remains glides win the vast majority of rounds and not just in GM cars either. there's a reason adapters and bell housings are made to adapt it to just about any engine. i would also say that most of the rounds being won with a three speed are probably not in super pro.

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 08:40 PM

what kind of internal parts are needed.
Posted By: ROSSIO

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 09:35 PM

I have a PG in my dart,all alum B1 motor with reid pg.fits good-no tunnel mods.

Re: powerglide questions - 07/26/12 11:27 PM

it's been awhile since i've done one so i've forgotten all the specifics. you want to use a high strength turbo input shaft, billet clutch hub, billet servo, pro light trans brake, good clutches and steels, cast deep pan. it's also a good idea to install a needle thrust bearing (it's a GM PN) i might have the PN for the bearing. to do this requires turning the front pump on a lathe. at the minimum you're going to want the stock 1.76 gear set with the 1.80 straight cut aftermarket set being preferred. the 1.76 will take some abuse but it is after all a stock part. though i can't remember the size (very small) i was told to drill a hole in the face of the clutch piston to bleed off any valve body leakage. when the clutch applies the steel will cover the hole to block it off. you'll need an adapter plate setup, ultrabell or either a reid or ATI case/bell to adapt it to the chrysler. i can't remember for certain but the stator support may require some attention as well. the input shaft used to be run on a bushing in the stator support but they went to putting the bushing in the convertor to aid in convertor fluid flow.

like i said it's been years since i did one and i'm sure things have changed. i had everything written down but i know i've since lost it. like anything else you can do one relatively inexpensive or you can spend a kings ransom.
© 2024 Moparts Forums