Moparts

Hemi oil P/U tube broke off !

Posted By: Lee446

Hemi oil P/U tube broke off ! - 07/15/12 03:38 AM

I noticed my oil pressure fluctuating while I was driving. All of the sudden I saw it drop and my oil lite came on as I shut the engine off. I fired it back up for about 5 seconds to get off the street and verify that it was not a gauge malfunction. I called for a rollback to take it home. Today, I went ahead and pulled the pan. Sure enough, the pickup had broken off flush with the block. This is a 528 Hemi that was built by one of the best. I can find no signs of external damage to the tube, no marks or gouges and I would be surprised if I had. The pan and pickup are the MP Hemi pan and 1/2" p/u that originally came on the engine. I have a Moroso deep pan and p/u that I can put on, or should I just get another MP pickup? Did they ever have any defective P/Ups or is this just a fluke? I'm open to suggestions! Thanks, Lee.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Hemi oil P/U tube broke off ! - 07/15/12 04:05 AM

At the threads are the weak point to begin with...
it could be just a fluke ... but I would say the bottom
of the pick up is moving to crack it off ... you might
want to put something on to stiffen it so it cant move
Posted By: coronetville

Re: Hemi oil P/U tube broke off ! - 07/15/12 01:55 PM

Invest money in external oil system. A hemi carries 5 qts. of oil in the heads at 7000 rpms. You already had your warning
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Hemi oil P/U tube broke off ! - 07/15/12 07:12 PM

The instructions with the MP Hemi pickup state that it can be installed so that it's just touching the bottom of the pan or up to 1/4" clearance.

With clearance the whole tube is subject to the thrashing inside the lower block that stresses the threads on the end of the tube; with it just touching the bottom it gives support so that it isn't stressing the threads as much.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Hemi oil P/U tube broke off ! - 07/15/12 08:29 PM

Quote:

The instructions with the MP Hemi pickup state that it can be installed so that it's just touching the bottom of the pan or up to 1/4" clearance.

With clearance the whole tube is subject to the thrashing inside the lower block that stresses the threads on the end of the tube; with it just touching the bottom it gives support so that it isn't stressing the threads as much. [/quote

Might even weld 2 or 3 short stanchions on the bottom
of the pan to hold it in location (put clay on the
pan and install the pan to get the proper pick up
location)
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Hemi oil P/U tube broke off ! - 07/15/12 08:30 PM

Quote:

Invest money in external oil system. A hemi carries 5 qts. of oil in the heads at 7000 rpms. You already had your warning

I had this happen TWICE...thought the first one was a 'fluke'. I replaced the pick-up tube and about 2 years later, the same thing. I use only external set-ups now.
Posted By: BIGSTROKER

Re: Hemi oil P/U tube broke off ! - 07/18/12 11:43 AM

some of those chinese pickups have thin wall tubing and when cut with the pipe die it does not leave enough wall thickness
i had one brake off right in my hand
Posted By: Jwilli500

Re: Hemi oil P/U tube broke off ! - 07/18/12 08:00 PM

The Mopar Performance pickups are Chinese?
Quote:

some of those chinese pickups have thin wall tubing and when cut with the pipe die it does not leave enough wall thickness
i had one brake off right in my hand

Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Hemi oil P/U tube broke off ! - 07/18/12 08:15 PM

Get away from the screw in pickups, they are very weak.
I have broke entire oil pumps off the rear main cap from tire shake.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Hemi oil P/U tube broke off ! - 07/19/12 01:59 AM

If you go with an external system, it doesn't have to be elaborate, a fixed pick up with a single line to a Milodon oil pump cover with provisions for a remote oil filter. Simple, looks cool as heck, adds about a quart and a half of oil capacity, the pan is a breeze to take off and put on, and when you change oil theres no mess from the filter laying on its side. Just a thought.

Brian Dunnigan
Posted By: Labratt

Re: Hemi oil P/U tube broke off ! - 07/19/12 10:55 PM

Lee...sorry to hear this! I remember who built your engine,and know he's a pretty conciencious follower of details! I've NEVER heard of this problem! I better check my Moroso pick-up closely..before putting my 440 back together! I think Raff has a good idea,for when you put a new tube on it! Best Of Luck! Randy B.
© 2024 Moparts Forums