Moparts

Alcohol users Top Lube or Not!!!!

Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Alcohol users Top Lube or Not!!!! - 06/23/12 08:01 PM

The ones of you that are running alcohol are have knowledge on running alcohol,do you use Top Lube or not?
I have always used it thinking I needed it to lubricate the top end of the engine. I went to the Racing Zone a few mins. ago to pick up a couple of bottles,and a few more big time racers where there buying a couple of drums of alcohol and said never run it because it will clog up your fuel system.
I stop running the smell good in it last year,you don't have near as many people milling around the car.
Not sure if I should stop running the Top Lube!
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Alocohol users Top Lube or Not!!!! - 06/23/12 08:23 PM

I use top lube w/ my SV-1 when using regular methanol. VP M-3 & M-5 dont need it. Those who use an EFI w/methanol dont use it because in can clog it up.If your looking for more methanol info search "methanol" here, dragraceresults.com or yellowbullet.com.
Posted By: Diablo

Re: Alocohol users Top Lube or Not!!!! - 06/23/12 08:59 PM

We used M1 in our 640ci engine and always used top lube. If you are using mechanical injection I would recommend it. I can't see what it will clog. Corrosion in your lines will clog something before the additive will IMO.

Attached picture 7262298-640resize2011.jpg
Posted By: eds dart

Re: Alocohol users Top Lube or Not!!!! - 06/23/12 10:48 PM

I dont run it. Had problems with accelerator check needles and float needles sticking.
Posted By: Maximus_Wedges

Re: Alocohol users Top Lube or Not!!!! - 06/24/12 03:18 AM

We use Klotz Top lube. Most of the roundy round Alky burners are using it up here. One qt. per 55 gal drum works great for us. We never drain between races. Jessie at Big's was really impresed on how nice our carb looked inside after 5 years of racing.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Alocohol users Top Lube or Not!!!! - 06/24/12 04:06 AM

I run injection and have never run lube.
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: Alocohol users Top Lube or Not!!!! - 06/24/12 12:32 PM

I had some issues with Power plus a few years ago. Clogged injector screens and burned 2 pistons but it was just as much my fault as it was the lube due to lack of maintenance. Car sat 7 months and I moved 1500 miles and never cleaned the system before running it.
Also had some trouble with Redline, seems it was falling out of suspension. I ended up with a gooey puddle of lube on my intake plenum and at hard acceleration it would actually foul a couple of spark plugs momentarily.
I have been using Klotz Uplon for 5 years now, 1/2qt per 55gal drum and my carb/fuel system has been perfect.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Alocohol users Top Lube or Not!!!! - 06/24/12 01:12 PM

Klotz Uplon here. Very little maintenance, just check filters once in a while.
Posted By: steeldust

Re: Alocohol users Top Lube or Not!!!! - 06/24/12 01:50 PM

I run Top lube and i have no filter on my car and i have had no trouble with my carb or my fuel

Attached picture 7263174-DSC1964-M.jpg
Posted By: mac56

Re: Alocohol users Top Lube or Not!!!! - 06/24/12 03:04 PM

Quote:

We use Klotz Top lube. Most of the roundy round Alky burners are using it up here. One qt. per 55 gal drum works great for us. We never drain between races. Jessie at Big's was really impresed on how nice our carb looked inside after 5 years of racing.

Same here but it is one of those things that too much is not a good thing.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Alocohol users Top Lube or Not!!!! - 06/25/12 09:33 PM

Thanks for the all the advice

Just wanted to make sure I was not doing anything wrong.

I run Terminators(mechanical injection)so I think I will stay with the top lube,may start using the Klotz!
Posted By: julian2007

Re: Alocohol users Top Lube or Not!!!! - 06/25/12 10:11 PM

Been using power plus for 4 years no no problems.I used some left over fuel from last year to start the season no problems.All I do is drain the carb and fill with wd-40 if its going to sit for a while.
Posted By: go green

Re: Alocohol users Top Lube or Not!!!! - 06/26/12 05:42 AM

Cant see the point other than monkey see monkey do. I do not use it .
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Alocohol users Top Lube or Not!!!! - 06/26/12 09:20 PM

Quote:

Cant see the point other than monkey see monkey do. I do not use it .

Uplon leaves a coating as it evaporates on my stuff. Keeps corrosion at bay and I haven't hung a valve like some who don't run any lube. Same pump and system thirteen years. No corrosion anywhere, never drain it or top it off. Just park it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums