Moparts

1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall?

Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 02:14 PM

I am putting on "The Spring Nostalgia Nationals", this weekend and have been listening to all the pros and cons about each size track,1/4 mile verses 1/8th mile. What's your opinion?
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 02:26 PM

My opinion is that if it has a start, and a finish, I'll adapt. NEXT!!

...that said I guess I prefer the 1/4. Seems like that is the comparison by which all others are judged. Rarely hear, "hey man, what's it do in the 1/8th".

...I have raced 1/8th twice. Really tightens up a bracket field and that makes it fun.

both have their merits.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 02:33 PM

1/8 mile is easier on cars... way less breakage so
you would have less down time.... I race both BUT
I prefer the 1/4 mile
Posted By: 360904

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 02:35 PM

I would like to see everything go to

1000 feet
Posted By: dartman366

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 02:38 PM

I have run both, I really preferr 1/4 mile cause the fun lasts a little longer, home track is 1/8 mile so I am used to both world's.
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 02:38 PM

MR. P, can we agree to disagree?? If you are running 1/8th mile you have a steeper gear in the car yeah in most cases you dont hit high gear but in some you do, you are still runnig it up to red line.. Its the hardest out of the hole and in two second, the rest is just the drive in thrid for the 1/4.. I'd much rather run 1/4 ? Just my
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 02:39 PM

Maybe I'm just a cranky old goat, but 1/8 does absolutely nothing for me.
Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 02:48 PM

if your a good 1/8 mile racer, you should be a great 1/4 mile racer .. won events on both dont matter to me.
Posted By: BobR

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 02:54 PM

Quote:

1/8 mile is easier on cars... way less breakage so
you would have less down time.... I race both BUT
I prefer the 1/4 mile

For our Outlaw deal we much prefer 1/8th mile.

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 02:54 PM

Quote:

MR. P, can we agree to disagree?? If you are running 1/8th mile you have a steeper gear in the car yeah in most cases you dont hit high gear but in some you do, you are still runnig it up to red line.. Its the hardest out of the hole and in two second, the rest is just the drive in thrid for the 1/4.. I'd much rather run 1/4 ? Just my

Well its a proven fact that more engines blow up
on the top end than in the first half of the track...
thats when engines are running short on oil
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 03:01 PM

An endless debate. IMO 1/8 mile is easier on parts, less chance for bad wreck and cheaper to insure. I'm just there to race. I've had all my fun by the 1/8 mile, I don't need to hold it on the floor any longer. It gives me no more pleasure to run 1/4 mile so why do it? We haven't had a 1/4 mile track in Arkansas in over 30 years and I hope I never see another one.

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 03:01 PM

Maybe, but if you build it right you shouldnt have a problem ...

Just my
wasnt fighting...
Posted By: mr_340

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 03:06 PM

Quote:

Steve, you might be a crank old goat, but I figure your Hemi is just starting to sing by half track. I figure the top end charge of the Hemi makes the difference.

We'll have to compare notes on being curmudgeons.
Posted By: 383man

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 03:29 PM

Quote:

Same here. 1/4 mile is real drag racing. Its how it started and how I remember all the SS cars from the 60's and 70's running the 1/4. Ron
Posted By: justinp61

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 03:33 PM

Quote:

if your a good 1/8 mile racer, you should be a great 1/4 mile racer ...

IMHO the 1/8 is more exciting to drive. The 1/4 is easier to drive because I have more time to decide how to drive the stripe .
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 03:47 PM

Both of Mr_P post are not just right but make a lot of sense.Plus it speeds up the race when you have a couple of hundred cars or even close to hundred,because there are buy backs not just 1st round but sometimes 2nd round as well. With the speed of some of the slower cars running a 1/4 mile can turn into not just a long day but last well into the night.

Add to that most cars are geared up to only run an 1/8 mile,so that leaves them out reduceing the car count.To calm mine down off the line it is geared more to the 1/4 so I have no problem running either,its just a bummer having to pack the chute after every round.

I can can race just as well 1/4 mile as 1/8 mile,it only takes me a little of 2 sec. to travel the last 660'.

So with all that being said I prefer "1/8" mile.
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 04:03 PM

1/8 mile is weird for me because of the way my car is geared with 3.91s (so I can drive it to the track without going crazy).

It's weird because I see the finish coming up fast right when I have to shift to third, then I shift to third and have to let off right away and get on the brakes because of the short shut down I know is coming up.

On the plus side, people seem to get tons of runs in at my track. And it's my only choice in SoCal.

But 1/4 mile ET is the only thing people care about and you find yourself converting your 1/8 mile time to 1/4 mile. But then what conversion factor to use? Some say just add 4 seconds, some say multiply your time by anywhere from 1.53-1.57.

I had a car that couldn't hook very well and would run 12.80s at 108 in the 1/4. I'd take it to the 1/8 and it could only do 9.30s. According to the conversion factor it would only be a mid-13 second car but obviously it wasn't.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 04:11 PM

I ran with some gasser types in a nostalgia circut and we ran 1/8. I never heard anyone wanting to go to 1/4.

Posted By: bwdst6

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 04:22 PM

Personally I prefer ½ mile. But since finding tracks that long isn’t too easy I settle for ¼. But the longer the better, I prefer racing my car more, not less! This is one reason I like running on road coarse tracks…
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 04:24 PM

1/8 mile is half a race...it's like going on a date w/ a hot chick but you have to be home by 9pm. Only reason ever to race 1/8 mile is for safety....
Posted By: Palindrome Cuda

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 04:29 PM

Quote:

I guess I am just another cranky old goat, I prefer the 1/4 mile. I enjoy that big block high gear pull all the to the stripe. I ran a lot of 1000 ft. 30 years ago, not bad but 1/4 is still my favorite.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 04:54 PM

It's simple for me, if I'm the faster car I prefer the 1/4, if I'm the slower car I prefer the 1/8.
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 05:10 PM

Plain and simple 1/8th is easier on parts. Run lasts less time, less rpm, etc. Its simple physics at that point. Less fuel consumed during a run, less fuel consumed on the return road cause we aint driving back up a half a mile. Less heat in the engine and tranny, the list goes on.
All that bein said if you are scheduling a nostalgia type event, it seems the "ol farts" (and I am just kidding with you guys) mostly prefer the 1/4 mile. So you would most likely have more attendance if its 1/4.

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 05:26 PM

Quote:

Plain and simple 1/8th is easier on parts. Run lasts less time, less rpm, etc. Its simple physics at that point. Less fuel consumed during a run, less fuel consumed on the return road cause we aint driving back up a half a mile. Less heat in the engine and tranny, the list goes on.

Just think of how much stuff you would save if you didn’t run at all!

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 05:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just think of how much stuff you would save if you didn’t run at all!

When I raced my 10 second Dart or my 8 second Duster running 1/4 was fine. Now that I pay to race a mid 6 second Outlaw car I really appreciate the benefits of running 1/8th mile. Our junk will go close to 190 to 660' and that's enough thrill for any of us.
Posted By: Thor500

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 05:41 PM

I would have the race at an 1/8 mile track and make everyone run 1/4 mile, seperate the men from the boys!

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 05:42 PM

Quote:

I would have the race at an 1/8 mile track and make everyone run 1/4 mile, seperate the men from the boys!

Your car isn't very fast is it?

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 05:44 PM

Wanna race?

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 05:48 PM

Quote:

Wanna race?

Are you serious?

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 05:50 PM

Yes, I am serious.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 05:52 PM

Quote:

Yes, I am serious.

do we have the making of another grudge race?????

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 05:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

fast isn't the problem, stopping is.

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 06:16 PM

Quote:

[qu
ote]
Quote:

If your car is that quick then just throw the
laundry out

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 06:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

[qu
ote]
Quote:

If your car is that quick then just throw the
laundry out

no laundry needed for me... but I did find sat night that I would have liked another 300 feet of shut down. But 75/80 isn't known for it's stopping area.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 06:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wanna race?

Are you serious?

No clue what this other guy has in his garage, it doesn't really matter, I got money on Bob's Hemi!!!
Posted By: slippery440

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 06:53 PM

Quote:

I am putting on "The Spring Nostalgia Nationals", this weekend and have been listening to all the pros and cons about each size track,1/4 mile verses 1/8th mile. What's your opinion?

In your first sentence you answer your own question. Nostalgia Natiomals. That cries for 1/4 mile.
But for me as a bracket car racer that would go to one of these events if it was closer,I would not even consider a 1/4 mile race. Reasons being I can add double plus in just time that the race would take.You do see alot more top end clean ups.Your trying to draw people hours away from the track to come and if they drive for hours and then the race gets over at a real late hour, They are looking at a very long day. More cost in fuel. Harder on parts.
I use to love 1/4 mile racing 8 years ago until I started to race 1/8th and found that the thrill is not only the top end speed but everything is happening so much faster and the thrill is beating or getting beat by .002.Plus I am getting old and with a 10 second bracket car I find that I am doing my gocery list for the last 1/8th mile.
As for the guys that are die hard 1/4 mile racers. How many races to you hit a year? If you say more than 10 you sure do have my .
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 06:57 PM

I've race both, both work fine If I was going to put the race on once a year it would be a 1/8 mile race due to the costs
(insurance possibly cheaper?) and the racers getting more runs in.

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 07:12 PM

Quote:

When I raced my 10 second Dart or my 8 second Duster running 1/4 was fine. Now that I pay to race a mid 6 second Outlaw car I really appreciate the benefits of running 1/8th mile. Our junk will go close to 190 to 660' and that's enough thrill for any of us.

I, for one, am glad pro stock drivers/owners don’t share your sentiment! It would take away one of the last reasons I watch national events.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 07:20 PM

I'd have racing to the 1/4. If the track is a 1/4 run it!
Or race to 1/8 but have the option to run it out to see what it will run.

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 07:21 PM

Our annual local Nostalgia Nationals at Bradenton has always been 1/4 mile, which for nostalgia's sake I like. When they bring in gassers or other real fast exhibition cars ,they usually run them 1/8. But for a regular bracket race I prefer 1/8.
Posted By: mopartony

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 07:29 PM

I think it was meant as a joke. the wanna race comment.

Anyway. I like the 1/4 mile for the speed, but the wear and tear on parts is more than 1/8th.

With the last X amount of feet in the 1/4 you are hanging that motor within 1000rpms of redline. that is a bit of wear. But if you are racing, it is something you accept.

I would show to either.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 07:52 PM

i like the 1/4 but have gotten used to the 1/8.

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 08:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wanna race?

Are you serious?

No clue what this other guy has in his garage, it doesn't really matter, I got money on Bob's Hemi!!!

Yes it is better to know before any challenge is made. I'd put my money on the hemi as well but I'm really not that into chest pounding. It would have to be run somewhere that was prepped for heads up racing. Either 1/4 or 1/8 is fine.

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 08:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I, for one, am glad pro stock drivers/owners don’t share your sentiment! It would take away one of the last reasons I watch national events.

My team runs without a major sponsor. My budget for the last 4 years has been in the 80 grand/year range and I don't pay all of the bills. My partner(who built and drives the car) antes up a good bit himself. It costs right about 125 grand per year to run a competitive Outlaw 10.5 car and with any major crashes or engine expirations the costs go up. 1/8th mile eliminates about 25% of the cost to run our car along with a bunch of the risk.
Posted By: dc426

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 08:56 PM

First of all I would like to see a show of hands on how many of you actually have RACED the 1/8 mile. Most people who have an opinion on this issue have never been in an 1/8th mile race. Fact is the 1/4 mile is slowly going away. I feel it's a shame but if you can race and consistently win 1/8 mile, you will win 1/4 mile. You can't say that the other way around because 1/8 mile is a whole other animal.
With the 1/8 there are more races in a given time
less down time
easier on equipment
less sand bagging
you have to be on your game
1/8 is all about R/T

I grew up up north. Never heard of 1/8 mile until I moved to Florida. I took some getting used to it. I raced 1/8 for 10 years before I set foot on another 1/4 mile. Quite honestly the quarter was boring after that. I would much rather race 1/8 mile. However I would prefer to watch Pros run 1/4 mile
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 08:59 PM

I've raced both and have won at both.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 10:36 PM

Quote:

I've raced both and have won at both.

So have I,all the driving work is all done in a good 1/4 mile car before the 1/8 lights
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 10:48 PM

I prefer the 1/8 mile racing. I always ran 1/4 mile '67-'75. I quit racing for a few years, and when I started again in '84-'85, I ran a few 1/4 mile tracks, but there was an 1/8 mile closer. I figured I wouldn't like it, but I would go because it was closer. Turns out, I LOVED it!! It is fast action and you better be on your toes at the finish line. Also, getting a little older and don't really feel comfortable at 1/4 mile MPH.

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/19/12 11:43 PM

I have run both and am pretty good at both, I still would rather run 1/4... I don't know why but I always feel I got cheated when I run the 1/8.. Doesnt mean I wouldnt or wont run 1/8 but I like the 1/4.. I do believe that at certain speeds 1/8 is a must for safety reasons...
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/20/12 12:07 AM

I have no problems racing either and can go rounds in either but I prefer 1/4 mile.
I like the top end.
My home track is a 1/4 but they run it 1/8 mile and all this about the race goes faster is BS.
You still have to go the 2nd half of the track before you get to the turn off,and now you are doing that at a much slower speed.
But every one has there own opinion on this.
Posted By: mike54

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/20/12 12:15 AM

safety...easier on engines...better for fans...1/8 ..after watching 1/8 mile racing at most tracks here in the southeast,when i go to bristol 1/4, it looks slow...fans cant see half the race
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/20/12 12:27 AM

Quote:

Same here. 1/4 mile is real drag racing. Its how it started and how I remember all the SS cars from the 60's and 70's running the 1/4. Ron

believe it or not, it started with ONE MILE tracks! could you imagine a fuel car going a mile?
Posted By: nss guy

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/20/12 01:01 AM

Larry,
Are you talking about next year, 2013 Nostalgia Race?

Leave this years race setup the way it is described in the flyer. Take some time to talk to the racers this weekend that are at the race and see what they would like for the next years race.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/20/12 01:29 AM

I have raced both but,with a 5 speed stick car I race for fun not for money and the more gears I hit the more fun I have
I hate the fact that my local track doesn't even take care of the last 1000 feet of the track since they went 1/8th mile
Gus

Attached picture 7256997-mysavoy.jpg
Posted By: 69dart

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/20/12 01:33 AM

My observance is the slower cars usually prefer 1/4 mile while the faster cars prefer 1/8th mile.

I prefer 1/8th mile.

Larry - The flyer says no entries on Sunday. Is that for real? Seems that could keep guys that run points at Pacemakers, KilKare or Edgewater away.

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/20/12 01:39 AM

Quote:

My observance is the slower cars usually prefer 1/4 mile while the faster cars prefer 1/8th mile.

yeah, super stock, pro stock my goodness are they slow!
Posted By: Dartari

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/20/12 01:52 AM

As far as i am concerned 1/8th mile racing is for 1/8 mile track, jr dragsters and people who are afraid of their cars.
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/20/12 02:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I guess I am just another cranky old goat, I prefer the 1/4 mile. I enjoy that big block high gear pull all the to the stripe. I ran a lot of 1000 ft. 30 years ago, not bad but 1/4 is still my favorite.

so like old Bird says - grab a lane

Russ
Posted By: gofish

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/20/12 02:17 AM

If I am racing, I prefer the 1/8 mile (I have never driven fast cars), for spectating, it depends on the cars. If they are really quick (over 200 MPH), 1/4 mile is a better show. If they are normal door cars, the 1/8 miles suits me fine.
90% of the acceleration is in the 1/8, after that they aren't doing much but using fuel.
ADRL racing sure doesn't lack for excitement and it is all 1/8 mile.
You will see the driveline breakage percentage higher in the 1/8 mile, engine failure more likely in 1/4 mile races.

Danny
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/20/12 02:54 AM

For me racing 1/8 mile on an 1/8 mile track is fun and the competition is usually fierce. Now running 1/8 mile on a 1/4 mile track to me sucks.......that being said I enjoy 1/4 mile tracks the most....I hate to have to slow down when I just got going

Rickster
Posted By: steeldust

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/20/12 03:19 AM

I run 1/8 mile now and i LOVE it and i have run 1/4 mile and i LOVED it i just LOVE racing making friends and having fun and if you can do a burnout and make the hair stand up on the back of your neck and pull the wheels up and carry them and run about 120mph and run 5.90 et to 6.00 et i am having FUN and doing it with a MOPAR but 9.0s at about 140 in the 1/4 now that`s cool to but i will stay with a 1/8 and if you think you can`t have fun in a 1/8 just watch some are run some because I AM LIVING A MOPAR DREAM

Attached picture 7257184-jpeg750friday.jpg
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/20/12 03:22 AM

I like 1/4 mile much better.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/20/12 03:54 AM

I usually run both 1/8 and 1/4 mile at the same time, with the same car. I run pro (1/8 mile) for the purse and I run sportsman (1/4) for the fun of it. Sportsman only pays $200 to win (pro pays $1200 to win, $300 RU).
1/4 mile is my favorite though.

Brian Dunnigan

Attached picture 7257260-BristolDERPR13&147-2-7-311194a.jpg
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/20/12 04:53 AM

Quote:

Larry,
Are you talking about next year, 2013 Nostalgia Race?

Leave this years race setup the way it is described in the flyer. Take some time to talk to the racers this weekend that are at the race and see what they would like for the next years race.

This race will be the same next year, but I do have a great idea about other races, and I can even race them. With putting on a race, I feel that if I race also, that it would be a conflict of interest. Maybe I could do a match race with a well known celeberty and get on you tube. HaHaHa With construction work down, it gives me more time to conive a great idea.Oh, the idea has already been conived!
Posted By: 383man

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/20/12 06:45 AM

I have run the 1/8 a few times when thats all the track would run that day and to be honest I hated it. I just feel the 1/4 is much more fun and thats what its all about to me. Ron
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/20/12 07:18 AM

If i'm making time runs 1/4 mile is preferred.

Bracket racing, It don't make a difference to me, usually we run 1/4 mile up here in the North West, but I have run 1/8th mile in Vegas and at other events and loved it. The racing is much tighter and just as exciting from a drivers perspective.
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile- which is best overall? - 06/20/12 04:19 PM

Quote:

Larry - The flyer says no entries on Sunday. Is that for real? Seems that could keep guys that run points at Pacemakers, KilKare or Edgewater away.

I think that this hurts the Mopar Nationals as well. There are several Mopars that run points at those tracks. My situation is a bit different. I quit attending due to the non Sunday entries. Its too long of a drive for one shot at winning. Would be nice to be able to run Tri State or Edgewater on the way up on Saturday and then race the Nats on Sunday.
© 2024 Moparts Forums