Moparts

Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow (update )

Posted By: VernMotor

Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow (update ) - 06/17/12 01:36 AM

Sounds like someone put a two barrel carb and a set of mufflers on it. 3 carbs-2 MSD boxs-2 fuel pumps-3 sets of plugs-cap&rotor. all been change. check valve lash 5 times ! springs look ok not that old-Just took the front of the motor apart everything on the timing chain looks great. also change it from e-85 to gas no change. timing is rock solid. 18-34 .
nothing in the oil filter. compression test good 100-170 . will not rev up..not crisp and clean. What else to check- ideas..split them out !
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 01:49 AM

Is the cable pulling the carb open and I would pull
the spring and check the pressure... has the balancer
moved
Posted By: 440charger500

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 02:07 AM

You might want to check your muffler bearing!

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 02:10 AM

carb coming all the open. ATI bal- still looks great has not moved
Posted By: mopartony

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 02:25 AM

fuel regulator? Are you running hoses and not tubing? could be colapsing the hose, no fuel then. But if you had E-85 in it. Rebuild the carb and clean it out. Mine would not idle, revved fine, idle = crap. rebuilt carb = charm.

E-85 is kind of nasty stuff. you will see a gray/black/silver sediment in the bowls of the carb.

If it doesn't work can get my back?

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 02:37 AM

well I have 3 three pieces of 2" long rubber hose on the car all the rest is steel. I have taken them all off and looked at them. and flow tested both pumps 3/4 gal in 30 sec. checked the vent on the tank also.both carbs are clean. both been check 2 times now. siting at Idle with 7 psi of fuel pressure it just don't rev up quick and clean.
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 03:19 AM

KeithVern,
I would check to make sure you have good 12+ volts to the MSD box and a good ground. Also check the resistance at the pick up coil and check the reluctor gap.
Probably something simple,if it were valvesprings,I would think it would rev okay and pop and bang at high rpm.

Keith

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 03:24 AM

I have check the gap. do you know what the resistance should be. it is a old stock style. Yep that what I thought on the springs in fact I just told my wife this LOL.. she is reading !!
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 03:27 AM

You have a PM. Jake
Posted By: dvw

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 03:28 AM

If it runs smooth with no miss,I'd be suspecting the converter.
Doug

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 03:29 AM

The one set of springs I had did pop or miss... it
was just super lazy ... it was in valve float on the
whole run.... it was just a suggestion... but you
changed out most everything

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 03:31 AM

ll the pickups I tested that were Mopar units or aftermarket replacements measured between 150-400 ohms. MSD units are around 750 so unless something else is bad,it should still run with that much.
Maybe a bad spot on one of the wires going to or from the box?
Keith

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 03:55 AM

Maybe a bad spot on one of the wires going to or from the box.

You mean power or ground to the MSD.? I will load test them tomorrow.

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 04:03 AM

Quote:

Maybe a bad spot on one of the wires going to or from the box.

You mean power or ground to the MSD.? I will load test them tomorrow.

You should be able to stick a pin in the hot lead
(big red wire)and see if you have 12+ volts...
do it close to the box with the engine running
EDIT
I was just thinking Jamie... the big red and the black
ground come on the box so that would be a waste to
test it there(at the box) so test it where you hook
the red lead up at
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 04:15 AM

Converter? Where is it slow? 60'? ET? MPH? Did it go away all at once or just gradually slow down? When mine looses .5 sec all at once, it's usually carrying a cylinder? Another question, if it lost it all at once, what changed? Possibly has a lobe down on the camshaft?

Brian Dunnigan
Posted By: ksj

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 06:12 AM

You drove rather than Jenni? Yea I know f u.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 07:20 AM

Had the exact same thing once. Changed EVERYTHING. Had the motor half tore apart twice. No help...

Turned out the COIL was going away. Well changed ALMOST everything. New coil and bada bom, bada bing! All of my lost ET and MPH back.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 07:35 AM

had similar problem. it was a wire comming out of my bulkhead connector. i did everything you did at least twice
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 08:51 AM

Quote:

Sounds like someone put a two barrel carb and a set of mufflers on it. 3 carbs-2 MSD boxs-2 fuel pumps-3 sets of plugs-cap&rotor. all been change. check valve lash 5 times ! springs look ok not that old-Just took the front of the motor apart everything on the timing chain looks great. also change it from e-85 to gas no change. timing is rock solid. 18-34 .
nothing in the oil filter. compression test good 100-170 . will not rev up..not crisp and clean. What else to check- ideas..split them out !

What? 100psi is barely enough to fire a cylinder..

Chris..

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 02:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Chris..

I sure didnt see that 100... in my mind it was 160-170
but your right... 100 will barely light the cyl
Posted By: mokid

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 02:15 PM

Take your time and look at everthing closely,My times started slipping I thought of everthing mentioned here, I just put it off as a crappy track prep, Yesterday I broke my motor, Rod thru the pan, water/oil mix your know what that means, Trust that little voice in your head if it isnt right don't run it.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 02:17 PM

Time for a leak-down test.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 02:20 PM

Quote:

Time for a leak-down test.

i AGREE!
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 02:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Chris..

I am sure that was a misprint on the 100#. is the pick-up leads going to the MSD box in phase? I know if they are reversed it will usually mess with the timing.

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 02:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Chris..

I am sure that was a misprint on the 100#. is the pick-up leads going to the MSD box in phase? I know if they are reversed it will usually mess with the timing.

Posted By: tboomer

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 02:40 PM

Vern...Didn't you just change the coil a while back?
Posted By: MoparPitBull

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 02:53 PM

I also agree with a leakdown...fuel volume seems low according to your post. I use this as a diagnostic tool- 8 sec. car...one gal. in 15 seconds;9 second car in 20 seconds;10 second car in 25 seconds;11 second car in 30 seconds;12 second car in 35 seconds. Hope you find your problem

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 03:35 PM

had 3 coil on it now.. will do a leak down here today.. compression 120 over 170 .. that is 1 cy. has max 165-170 on all 8. I know some here do not understand 2 numbers on a compression test. you have your first hit then you second hit. Thank you all very much for the repleys

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 03:42 PM

Quote:

had 3 coil on it now.. will do a leak down here today.. compression 120 over 170 .. that is 1 cy. has max 165-170 on all 8. I know some here do not understand 2 numbers on a compression test. you have your first hit then you second hit. Thank you all very much for the repleys

"120 over 170",,,,are you taking it's blood pressure..??
Posted By: go green

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 03:44 PM

Verify your timing mark and lock out your distributor .I had a harmonic balancer that I could could grab and twist the outer case on ,,I think it was a TCI rattler .

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 03:53 PM

I have check balancer- drist-shaft-gear on pump shaft-timing chain-gears everything is good there.

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 04:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

"120 over 170",,,,are you taking it's blood pressure..??

better check for a pulse.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 06:55 PM

Try another known good battery and make a pass

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 07:09 PM

Bad plug wire !!Test open

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 07:11 PM

Good find,Vern! I was hoping that is something simple!

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 07:39 PM

Cut the boot off the wire and this is what I found.

Attached picture 7253831-0617121433.jpg

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 07:50 PM

Ouch!! I pulled one of my Firecores apart by accident..So I cant't fire mine up till I get a replacement or repair this one. I think Rick may be on vacation?

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 07:55 PM

hmmmmm, I wonder how many times that was talked about, supposed that was the popping out the exhaust?

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 07:59 PM

Yep ..replaced everything on the car but them. and yes you told me to test them ..O well..live and learn..Always come down to something dumb. must of been fire some times that why we heard that and then it quit all together. I sure thought it would of sounded and run diff than that.??
Posted By: 69dart

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 09:21 PM

Holy Crap - All that and it ended up being a plug wire. At least you figured it out!
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 09:44 PM

That one guy said on the grudge thread that losing a cylinder will only slow you a tenth. I guess not Glad you got it fixed
Posted By: nss guy

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/17/12 10:23 PM

Quote:

Cut the boot off the wire and this is what I found.

you need that get that crap off and put some "Firecore" wires on it and some TTI headers on so you don't burn up any wires.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/18/12 12:25 AM

Vern, glad it was tha easy. I am back from vacation !!
Posted By: 383man

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/18/12 02:04 AM

That the only bad thing about our cammed up hot rods ! Its hard to feel a miss. Glad you got it fixed. Ron
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/18/12 02:32 AM

I have an infrared heat gun. When something like this happens, i can use it to test the heat of each header pipe to see what cylinder the miss is in. Helped me to find a broken injector wire on my Daily driver.

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/18/12 02:51 AM

Just glad you got it fixed,Jenni was probably getting worried!

Keith
Posted By: robnbird

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/18/12 03:40 AM

Quote:

It still the 100 year old question. Is it getting fuel and ign? sounds like you covered the ign. do you have a carb to try?
Posted By: ksj

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/18/12 03:52 AM

Quote:

Just glad you got it fixed,Jenni was probably getting worried!

Keith

Best Quote of the entire post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/18/12 03:02 PM

Quote:

Vern, glad it was tha easy. I am back from vacation !!

Glad you found the problem Jamie and its a simple fix...

Rich I called your shop the other day to find that
you guys were on vacation... I'll get back with you
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow - 06/18/12 03:55 PM

A tenth has been my experience in the 1/8th mile with a cylinder down from a plug wire.

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow (update ) - 06/23/12 04:43 AM

Car ran 7.14 tonight. so I got my 5 tenths back !

I think how much you lost with a dead hole depends on your HP to weight . me at 500hp with 3900 with me in the car. it hurt
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: Ok so my car is 5 tenths slow (update ) - 06/25/12 02:55 PM

Quote:

I think how much you lost with a dead hole depends on your HP to weight . me at 500hp with 3900 with me in the car. it hurt

And that is a very valid point!
© 2024 Moparts Forums