Moparts

Why do some need help finding the staging beams??

Posted By: codfish

Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 04:11 AM

Looking at alot of vids lately, and there seems to be quite alot of guys who need a "spotter" to guide them into the staging beams. Why? Not talking about backing them up after a lengthy burn out and keeping it in the "groove", but creeping forward into the beams. I'm a rookie, but i have no problem. Not bashing here either.

Just wondering if there is a good reason that I'm not seeing.

codfish
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 04:16 AM

My is that its the latest fad, everyone wants to "Look" like a pro...
not a fan.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 04:21 AM

would these be small tire heads up cars? i was at atco couple weeks ago and counted 40 YES 40 people in the burnout/starting line area. now i will give you that five of them were track workers but fur crying out loud 35 people? you could probably launch the space shuttle with that many people. they were told to clear out a couple times but i think all those klingons in that area is just inviting disaster
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 04:58 AM

Quote:

not a fan.

It is pretty funny.... I guess everyone wants to get
into the show... but come on... I've seen it with
12 second cars... I'm old and still manage to find
the starting line all by myself

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 05:25 AM

Quote:

not a fan.

Well Im glad someone else shares my opinion.

codfish
Posted By: joshking440

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 05:31 AM

I will say for a turbo guy...its pretty nice to know that you are almost in the prestage.... that building boost on teh starting line, bump in....then the transbrake in the prestage beams and bump it on and off a few times to creap forward into the stage beams is a lot to do in just a few seconds
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 05:46 AM

I tend to agree that it is just a fad with the heads up crowd as well as thier perceived need to look like the pros. I dont use anyone with the heads up car to get me there. I know where the beams are, if you dont look for the boxes, not that hard. It becomes monkey see monkey do, kind of like the stop slide burnout deal with the S/C guys a couple of years ago.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 06:53 AM

personally i think less is more no jacking around, no entourage, no bling, no staging duel...game on, strictly business

the guy that rolls up there alone, puts the car in the beams and hammers his opponent end to end...the mechanic
Posted By: dvw

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 10:28 AM

Quote:

personally i think less is more no jacking around, no entourage, no bling, no staging duel...game on, strictly business

the guy that rolls up there alone, puts the car in the beams and hammers his opponent end to end...the mechanic

agree
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 11:45 AM

I can find the stage lights on my own. I'm not blind. I haven't raced much, but I try to trip the pre stage and then immediately go in to the stage light and get ready to go. That way when the other guy is staged I'm ready and not hurring to get my rpms up. If that makes any sense.
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 12:04 PM

I think it's a matter of routines, what you feel comfortable with, "team work". It's pretty much as stupid to do it that way, as not to, what ever floats your boat. I don't do it like that and actually don't need anyone on the line except me and the car, but I have no problem if the opponent need five crew members there. That's his way of doing things and I don't think there really is a right or wrong way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBfBNY2Z3N8
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 12:07 PM

We usually have a couple of guys at the starting line but nobody helps put a car into the beams..We ain't running Pro Stock!!
Posted By: Max Wedge Savoy

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 12:17 PM

I've never had anyone line me up or pull me in. I'll pre stage first but I do prefer to be the last one to stage though. It mentally keeps the forward motion going.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 12:56 PM

If you can't find the beams by yourself, you don't need to be driving.

The other thing that gets me is the grudge cars that "need" 10+ people fondling the car after the burnout (not counting the 20+ wannabe's standing behind the car). Apparently a grudge car is something super special. If it takes that many people to make the car ready to make a pass, I wouldn't want to drive it.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 01:41 PM

Quote:

I can find the stage lights on my own. I'm not blind. I haven't raced much, but I try to trip the pre stage and then immediately go in to the stage light and get ready to go. That way when the other guy is staged I'm ready and not hurring to get my rpms up. If that makes any sense.

Not real nice to double bulb the other guy. You are supposed to wait till both are prestaged.

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 01:46 PM

I think Josh has a good point for a turbo car, and I just like it to know that my car is straight and in the grove from another set of eyes. I have never had any one do it for the beams though.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 01:49 PM

Quote:

would these be small tire heads up cars? i was at atco couple weeks ago and counted 40 YES 40 people in the burnout/starting line area. now i will give you that five of them were track workers but fur crying out loud 35 people? you could probably launch the space shuttle with that many people. they were told to clear out a couple times but i think all those klingons in that area is just inviting disaster

what track would allow that craziness? that's that silly "LA street racer" crowd. I can see one person if you are new or if you have a high-dollar really fast car, other than that you're a donkey.
Posted By: Dartin

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 01:53 PM

Quote:

We usually have a couple of guys at the starting line but nobody helps put a car into the beams..We ain't running Pro Stock!!

I like to have someone watching how the car reacts, maybe taking a video. Think it would be a distraction for me to have someone to watch after the burnout.

Randy
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 02:03 PM

WE have ten officials anyway on their knees watching that there isnät a single drop of anything coming out of the car, so extra personel wouldn't bother me. As far as the driving technic go, we have two drivers in our team that drive completely different. Jussi likes to stage first so he can control the boost, and I really don't care but prefer to stage last. I prefer to prestage, then floor it against the brake so I get the boost up to over 10 psi, then let the gas up and stage; the turbos still turn at high rpm and I'm ready to leave. Haven't driven with the new turbos yet, it's Jussi driving in the video I attached, but they spool slower than the old ones, but we'll see...
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 02:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not real nice to double bulb the other guy. You are supposed to wait till both are prestaged.

I'm not trying to rush the other guy. I just want to get in there and be ready. I know there is a time limit on the lights. Like I said I haven't raced much yet. I'm just trying to get my crap in order so I don't have the other guy sitting there waiting on me.

As for all the other people running around a car, to me that would be a huge distraction.

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 02:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not trying to rush the other guy. I just want to get in there and be ready. I know there is a time limit on the lights. Like I said I haven't raced much yet. I'm just trying to get my crap in order so I don't have the other guy sitting there waiting on me.

As for all the other people running around a car, to me that would be a huge distraction.

All you're gonna do is make people mad if you double bulb every time you run. Wait to stage when the other guy has prestaged.
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 02:42 PM

As a track worker, and after standing on the starting line at several races, it is amazing how many cars are NOT lined up in the groove. Some are not even close. I am not talking just fun nights, but bracket races and divisional points meets.

You will often see me helping friends on the line, mostly to ensure they are indeed in the "groove".

The starting line is a tricky area, bald spots can begin to appear very quickly and are not always visible form the drivers seat. It never hurts to have that extra little bit of confidence that your in the right spot on the lane to get a more consistent launch, particularly on a car with border-line traction.

How many of you drivers have actually had the opportunity to stage your car, then get out and walk around it to see how you are lined up? If you haven't done that, how do you know your "spot" is actually in the grove? A couple of inches one way or the other could make the difference between a perfect launch and a sudden pull to towards the wall.

And while the track prep guys work hard, it is not uncommon for them to miss a few drops of oil from the previous car. The driver cannot see these well enough, so that is the spotters job.

In a perfect world, the entire starting line area should be prepped and sticky, but at an event trying to run 300 cars down the track 7 or 8 times in a day, the starting line is not always consistent and the best place to be can move a little.

Since bracket racing is all about consistency, why not try to have an extra edge and added confidence by knowing you are properly positioned and on the sticky part of the starting line?

I am not talking about show boating, with 3 guys on the line, but just an extra pair of eyes to help the driver at one of the most important areas of the track.

Just my , but you will never see me knock a guy for trying a little harder to win!

Scott
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 02:50 PM

A few years ago my crewguy said I was not lining up in the groove so I let him line me up as I come out of the burnout. His being there is not to help me find the lights, I can find them. This does 2 things, it makes sure I'm in the groove good and it gets him to be more involved in the run. It sure makes a difference to him.

Double bulbs and deep staging. All of the tracks I race at have a courtesy staging rule and do not allow deep staging. If someone double bulbs me you better be ready to sit there a long time because I won't prestage. Several times I have montioned to the starter to back him up and almost always they do. A couple of times the starter has waved me on in and when that happens the track manager and the starter are going to hear from me. I have been redlighted before by the starter when I accidently deep staged. I couldn't gripe because that's the rule.
Posted By: dragram440

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 03:08 PM

I race at Brainerd and they dont allow anyone at the starting line, Every once and awhile someone will have one person help them stage the car but you never see anyone at the line other then track oficials or maybe a photagrapher. Obviously some of the real fast classes that have a crew like in outlaw or something will have some people on the line. As for double bulbing someone, I dont do it and it just seems to be a no no!
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 03:19 PM

Quote:

I will say for a turbo guy...its pretty nice to know that you are almost in the prestage.... that building boost on teh starting line, bump in....then the transbrake in the prestage beams and bump it on and off a few times to creap forward into the stage beams is a lot to do in just a few seconds

I am sure there are a couple more examples of types of cars (ProStock, Funny Car, etc.) that really benefit from staging beam assistance. Excessive use of the clutch approaching, etc.

However, in the bracket racing levels; I don't think anyone other than a pure beginner (first few races) should need help finding the beams.

Now getting lined up correctly (straight, in the groove, etc) is another story and I can understand the benefit of an outside observer.

I go to the track by myself, so even if I wanted it, nobody is there but me.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 03:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Double bulb someone around here and you'll get backed up right away.

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 03:23 PM

Having someone line you up in the groove if you have a fast car is one thing...that I can understand. Also someone to turn on the datalogger.
The rest is unnecessary.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 03:39 PM

I can understand some Pro cars like to have someone let you know when you are just about at the prestage lite as some of them look as if they can be very hard to judge. But for the normal weekend racer I have to agree it is no reason for it unless you want to look like the bigshot. I do know that sometimes as I creep up to stage and it seems like as I keep rolling forward I sometimes find myself saying to myself in the car.......where the heck is that prestage lite ? But I would never need any help as I just keep creeping forward until I lite the prestage lite.
I also dont know how people cant find the groove. As soon as I do my burnout I look for the track marks of the groove and I make sure my tires are lined up right in them. If I have to I back up to get in the groove marks. Then I roll up and prestage. If the other guy is not in yet then I wait for them to prestage before I go in and lite the stage lite. Dont matter to me if I am first or last. If I go in first then I just use their stage lite to get ready and come up on the converter. I will say at most tracks it really makes a difference if you are not in the groove. Ron

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 05:11 PM

Hey 383man from your picture it looks like you are in the far right side of the grove. Just sayin!
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 06:11 PM

I have absolutly no problem with finding the beams,,,but I just cannot for the life of me find the payout window.

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 06:25 PM

Quote:

I have absolutly no problem with finding the beams,,,but I just cannot for the life of me find the payout window.

Well I guess I need some serious help atthe division level too. I can find the beams and the win light on occasion but I will be damned if I can find the winners circle at those races
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 06:38 PM

The quicker the jerks who play games get their cars staged the more passes available for everyone else. It pisses me off to no end that people have to play like a pro in regular cars. Also the 3+min to stage pro cars so we get two time trials in 5 hours on a test and tune night.In the old days out you go for screwing around staging

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 06:50 PM

Quote:

Hey 383man from your picture it looks like you are in the far right side of the grove. Just sayin!

Na thats just an illusion. Look at the right rear tire and you can see its right in the middle. Ron

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 06:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Double bulb someone around here and you'll get backed up right away. [/qu
From what I understand it is legal to double bulb someone just not courteous. A good friend of mine got bitched out when he doubled bulbed someone with his turbo car trying to get the boost up! I dont do it. I see more people do it on accident then anything.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 07:24 PM

Courteous staging is a rule here, if you double bulb and don't back up yourself you will be instructed to do so.

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 07:25 PM

FWIW in the PSCA double bulbing is fine. I never do it but boy so they like to try it on me. makes no difference to me I can wait..

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 08:36 PM

My friend was double bulbing all the time on drag week
and I told him that wasnt the thing to do... I must
have told him 10 times during the week.... he kept
saying he forgot... he still does it once in a while
Posted By: mcat4321

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 08:43 PM

i help with a unlimited 8.5 car.
the tire size is 9 inches wide, it goes low 1.2x sixty foot. it runs low 5's in 1/8.
it take a certain mind set to do that. in the time after the burn out, the driver needs to check all gauges, turn on nitrous, open bottle , find the best part of the track as possible , pre stage bump im... all while worrying about how the car is going to react... will it hook and go, will it blow the tires off? will it stand straight up?, all of which he has to deal with differently... so if anything having your buddy put you in the beams is just a little comforting. having him put you in the best groove is that much more comforting. and knowing he is making sure your perfectly straight, so you dont mow the tree if it wheels stands helps too. its a lot mental
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 09:16 PM

The Rules at most tracks say you can have 1 helper so why not use them.That's an extra set of eyes to help check every thing like oil or lose parts left over by other cars. Unlike a lot of people I can load my race-car in the trailer unload it and race it at the track all by myself I need no help what so ever,but it makes everything so much easier when you have good help.At the present I have 2 of the Best that I have ever had in my 25+ years racing,so yes they are going to be out there with the car every time.
If you want to Win races you have got to be on top of everything that is going on,and 1 person just can not do that.

Attached picture 7231563-mmp02.jpg.jpg
Posted By: hemi67s

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 09:39 PM

Stage with your rear tires,window down and AC on. LOL!!! Seen alot of guys do that. Seems like most had mustangs.

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/01/12 09:58 PM

Quote:

i help with a unlimited 8.5 car.
the tire size is 9 inches wide, it goes low 1.2x sixty foot. it runs low 5's in 1/8.
it take a certain mind set to do that. in the time after the burn out, the driver needs to check all gauges, turn on nitrous, open bottle , find the best part of the track as possible , pre stage bump im... all while worrying about how the car is going to react... will it hook and go, will it blow the tires off? will it stand straight up?, all of which he has to deal with differently... so if anything having your buddy put you in the beams is just a little comforting. having him put you in the best groove is that much more comforting. and knowing he is making sure your perfectly straight, so you dont mow the tree if it wheels stands helps too. its a lot mental

Not saying this doesnt help, But I also have a good friend runs real street with a 4000 lb chevelle on small radials, turbo car runs low 8's at high 160's and I have never seen him get any help. Just saying!

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/02/12 01:22 AM

Quote:

in the time after the burn out, the driver needs to check all gauges, turn on nitrous, open bottle , find the best part of the track as possible , pre stage bump im... all while worrying about how the car is going to react... will it hook and go, will it blow the tires off? will it stand straight up?,

Well I drive a low 11 sec street car, and when I'm at the track I have to worry/think about all of those things too. Well except for nitrous or standing up straight.

The turbo car reason is the best I've heard so far.

codfish
Posted By: racerbychoice

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/02/12 03:46 AM

Quote:

The Rules at most tracks say you can have 1 helper so why not use them.That's an extra set of eyes to help check every thing like oil or lose parts left over by other cars. Unlike a lot of people I can load my race-car in the trailer unload it and race it at the track all by myself I need no help what so ever,but it makes everything so much easier when you have good help.At the present I have 2 of the Best that I have ever had in my 25+ years racing,so yes they are going to be out there with the car every time.
If you want to Win races you have got to be on top of everything that is going on,and 1 person just can not do that.

BINGO! Smart racers do just that. Doesn't matter if its a 16-sec car or 6-sec car in the 1/4, its all about having at least a 2nd set of eyes on the car, and the track so that you or the car can live to make another pass.

Every one of you guys who are saying its not needed know that if you pull up to the line, launch and put your car into the wall or close enough to doing it (because of some mechanical failure or fluid loss) you know you'll have someone out there the next time. Maybe not to put you in the beams, but to give things a 2nd look before you launch.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/02/12 03:48 AM

Quote:

I used to think Atco was bad...til I went to Milan last weekend...the entourages are one thing...plus they let spectators stand close enough to the water box you could touch the cars...I've seen street racing that was safer/more organized...haha

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/02/12 03:59 AM

I used to think Atco was bad...til I went to Milan last weekend...the entourages are one thing...plus they let spectators stand close enough to the water box you could touch the cars...I've seen street racing that was safer/more organized...haha

Milan never use to be that way... but I havent been
to the heads up in 2 years
Posted By: 572_dup2

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/02/12 05:36 AM

When i run left sometimes i have someone help me. My scoop is so big an my helment can only go to right right so far becouse it hits halo. I dont do it all the time but its handy. It attracts alot of attention an sometimes i really dont want that.

Attached picture 7232249-inside.jpg

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/02/12 05:53 AM

Quote:

When i run left sometimes i have someone help me. My scoop is so big an my helment can only go to right right so far becouse it hits halo. I dont do it all the time but its handy. It attracts alot of attention an sometimes i really dont want that.

GOOD GOD... how do you get in your car with the side
bars bent up like that... I would have run them
straight or bent down
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/02/12 12:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Na thats just an illusion. Look at the right rear tire and you can see its right in the middle. Ron

I would agree Ron you are in the groove. The glossy black is the VHT. The flat black stripes in the glossy black are the grove. Appears to me Ron you are in the groove.

Leon
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/02/12 12:48 PM

If a racer needs 10 extra set of eyes to cover his incompetence as a driver, I say go for it. But, if one of you A-holes steps in the beams and lights the stage bulbs don't get mad that I turned mine on.

I have a huge boxe of of winners trophys and a couple more of winner ups. And never did I want or need anyone to line me in the groove or help me stage. To me it just seems to be part of driving. In fact if you volunteer and I tell you not to mess with me after the burnout you might end up running for you life when you do it anyway. 23 years racing the same car if I can't find the groove and what part of the groove I desire and stage myself it is time to turn the responsibilities over to someone who can.

There are some cases like a clutch car, boosted car, or a new driver that needs a little help until adjusted with a particular track. Sometimes racing a new track you have trouble getting to the first stage bulb. Maybe a guy who let's you know how close you are to the beam is good. But, more often than not the helpers step in the beams. This should be an immediate disqualification IMO.

Leon
Posted By: 10 o to go

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/02/12 01:06 PM

Thought the topic was getting into the beams .I agree with most too many helpers .
If you can't get to the prestage then to the stage beams you need another sport .
Or get a hood scoop that you can see over ,around.
Even a pro car shouldn't get help .
Guess a turbo car needs all the help it can get . because its fast.

Attached picture 7232480-BKD9-09-18_065A.jpg
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/02/12 01:48 PM

Quote:

Milan never use to be that way... but I havent been
to the heads up in 2 years

He's probably talking about the no ET Nationals. It's a different Milan that day.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/02/12 02:50 PM

Getting in the beam may not be a problem for some,but letting what's going on with the car in the next lane get in your "Head" can be a very Big problem.

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/02/12 02:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would agree Ron you are in the groove. The glossy black is the VHT. The flat black stripes in the glossy black are the grove. Appears to me Ron you are in the groove.

Leon

Of course I am groovey I grew up in the 60's and 70's. Ron
Posted By: mcat4321

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/02/12 05:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

in the time after the burn out, the driver needs to check all gauges, turn on nitrous, open bottle , find the best part of the track as possible , pre stage bump im... all while worrying about how the car is going to react... will it hook and go, will it blow the tires off? will it stand straight up?,

Well I drive a low 11 sec street car, and when I'm at the track I have to worry/think about all of those things too. Well except for nitrous or standing up straight.

codfish

low 11 and low 8's..a little different mind set
Posted By: mopartony

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/02/12 08:01 PM

Ok I am going to jump in on this.

I agree all the Klinger wanna bes need to go. No need for 10-15 people for one car.

Josh, your turbo example is perfect. The fast cars need it. Less for the driver to worry about. as mentioned above, get all set go through your routine and then roll forever to the prestage, sorry, I think that would mess with 99% of the people here. expecting the light to be a foot or 2 and it is 6 or more.

Now for being a hater on 4-5 guys with a car on the line at test and tune, be it a 8 second car or a 12 second car. The 8 second car, yeah needed, EDIT: Can it be done with less, sure. But if 4-5 guys is a normal race routine, why mess with it. If only 1-2 are normal, great 1-2 on the line is what is needed. It is good practice for the crew too, stayin in the routine. END EDIT 12 second? Maybe, how do you know there is not an issue they are trying to sort and extra eyes will help find it. New build? New car to them? new combo? alot of variables.

So get the Kingers off the track, crew only limit 5.

sorry for the rant.

Re: Why do some need help finding the staging beams?? - 06/03/12 04:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

codfish

low 11 and low 8's..a little different mind set

Naw. Still lookin at and checking same things.

codfish
© 2024 Moparts Forums