Moparts

Struggelin with Reaction times

Posted By: mikeysmopars

Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/09/12 05:10 PM

Ok, Finally got the car where I wanted it to run and took the advise of friends and Members here on using a 2 step but I can't get two close launches from my car. At MATS By the third day of TNT's the best I could get was 040's but not consistant. On elimination day I tried to hit the tree hard and I did -003 red Bought back in round two and went -009 red. I just raced the WCHRA this last weekend and a good light was .125 My 2 step has a 3200 chip in it and thats where i normally footbreak it. I just cant seem to get into a decent rithem.
I usually just barely break the stage beam and hold it there, No deep staging. Front tires are 26'' and pumped to 38lbs. What else could i do to get more consistant?

BTW standard tree not pro.

Attached picture 7198584-vegas2012047.jpg
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/09/12 05:21 PM

I don't have any advice, but that is a nice looking Dart!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/09/12 06:15 PM

First of all pick a light on the tree(bottom bulb)
and try to hit it soon as you see it... doesnt matter
if your red or not... your trying to be consistent...
once you can get consistent... change the car to fit
your driving habits... you'll never split a light
and be consistent... to change the car might be as
simple as a higher/lower rpm on launch or tire pressure
or size or shock settings.... you can get a practice
tree to practice on
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/09/12 06:34 PM

.002 and .009 red are "good" at least consistency wise. You need to find a good spot on the tree for you to react from and adjust the car from there.

If you are comfortable trying to hit the tree hard like you did on elimination day do this: Lower front tire pressure try putting them down to 32# and see what happens. Your reaction time should be slower, by how much is hard to say, every car is a little different. If the car hooks well you can also run less rear tire pressure to help slow down the movement.

My own car the front tires can be set anywhere from 25-60# and rears 17-21# (radial) all depends on the track and how I'm seeing the bulb that day.

If you are still going red on occasion lower the 2 step to 3000rpm.

The main key is you have to be consistent as a driver and be methodical with what you do.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/09/12 07:04 PM

Are you using a trans brake and/or a delay box?

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/09/12 07:07 PM

Quote:

None of those, just footbreak with 2 step
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/09/12 07:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As said above, -.002 & -.009 are consistant. Let a little air out of the front tires, or lower your launch 100rpm...

Also, since you still on the footbrake, anything loose in the suspension can cause the RT to be all over the place. Check all the front suspension attaching points and make sure there isn't any excessive play.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/09/12 08:23 PM

I believe that all of us tend to get quicker on reation times on races versus time trails and against good racers versus unknown racers to us that being said I have used sun glasses during the day to slow my reation times down, I've used shorter or taller front tires to adjust reation times ( I have three sets of front tires and wheels, 24, 26 and 27 3/4 tall (mounted and ready in the trailer) Another thing to check on is the roll out at each track, do that before racing starts, I use my foot to set the prestage light on and then slide it forward until the stage light comes on, make a mark on the track, I use my pocket knife to make a scratch in the rubber and then slide my foot forward until the prestage light goes out, make another mark and then do the other lane Compare the two and then try to use the one you like the most

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/09/12 10:15 PM

Quote:

I believe that all of us tend to get quicker on reation times on races versus time trails and against good racers versus unknown racers to us that being said I have used sun glasses during the day to slow my reation times down, I've used shorter or taller front tires to adjust reation times ( I have three sets of front tires and wheels, 24, 26 and 27 3/4 tall (mounted and ready in the trailer) Another thing to check on is the roll out at each track, do that before racing starts, I use my foot to set the prestage light on and then slide it forward until the stage light comes on, make a mark on the track, I use my pocket knife to make a scratch in the rubber and then slide my foot forward until the prestage light goes out, make another mark and then do the other lane Compare the two and then try to use the one you like the most

I like it!
Is Cab giving up one of his well kept secrets?
I appreciate it and it was cool to finally meet you in Vegas. I noticed you were talking to several people in your pit area which just happened to be near the bathroom. You may have noticed I swung by quite often, Some of the time i actually had to go.

Thanks Cab!
Posted By: 1BADDUSTER

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/09/12 10:37 PM

just wondering as i am about to put a 2 step in mine...how did it affect the car?

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/09/12 10:51 PM

Quote:

just wondering as i am about to put a 2 step in mine...how did it affect the car?

It didn't affect the 60 foot or ET that i can tell
I do like that I dont push across the beams any more.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/09/12 11:28 PM

A two step shoudl really not do anymore than make your program more consistent. Meaning you will always be at the saem RPM every time you make a hit. You can also use them to better adjust to various starting lines and conditions. It should not necessarily speed you up any just ad another layer of consistency in the overall program.

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/09/12 11:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As said above, -.002 & -.009 are consistant.

I dont call 2 lights being consistent... if he can
pull 10 or more in a row then yes
Posted By: steeldust

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/10/12 03:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

X 2 Because if you are having lights like you said 125 to you are not doing the same thing ever time

Attached picture 7199415-DSC1964-M.jpg
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/11/12 04:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with you, but most of us won't get 10 runs in without changing somthing that will affect RT...

So its definitly got to be watched over time, he will need to remain consistant as a driver, and he will know if it was the car or himself. Its not easy, but there are people who make it look easy.

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/11/12 06:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with you, but most of us won't get 10 runs in without changing somthing that will affect RT...

So its definitly got to be watched over time, he will need to remain consistant as a driver, and he will know if it was the car or himself. Its not easy, but there are people who make it look easy. [/quote

So Those of you Veterans that race often what is your stage and launch routeen?
Deep staging, leave as soon as the third light shows, Leave a little later?
Also What is the reason they want you to write "Deep" on your windshield?
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/11/12 06:28 PM

Roll into pre stage beam, pump brake pedal, when we are both pre staged, bring rpms up to 2700-3100, take small bumps with the brake pedal to stage the car. I like to be as shallow as possible. Leave off the first sign of the 3rd yellow.

Deep staging should be reserved for slower cars IMO, I do it in my truck, that's it. Tons of guys do it successfully, I don't see the need with anything faster than a street car. Writing it on your window is a courtesy to the starter and the other racer to let them know what you're doing. Some tracks will make accommodations and wait for you to get deep staged before activating the tree, others say its your responsibility.

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/11/12 06:50 PM

Quote:

Roll into pre stage beam, pump brake pedal, when we are both pre staged, bring rpms up to 2700-3100, take small bumps with the brake pedal to stage the car. I like to be as shallow as possible. Leave off the first sign of the 3rd yellow.

Deep staging should be reserved for slower cars IMO, I do it in my truck, that's it. Tons of guys do it successfully, I don't see the need with anything faster than a street car. Writing it on your window is a courtesy to the starter and the other racer to let them know what you're doing. Some tracks will make accommodations and wait for you to get deep staged before activating the tree, others say its your responsibility.

Thanks Dustin, I appreciate the Advice

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/11/12 09:53 PM

So Those of you Veterans that race often what is your stage and launch routeen?
Deep staging, leave as soon as the third light shows, Leave a little later?
Also What is the reason they want you to write "Deep" on your windshield?

The guys that write DEEP on their cars... when they
pull into full stage there are only pre stage so the
starter knows to allow more time for him to go in
farther(usually a slow reacting car)

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/11/12 10:25 PM

Thanks MR P
BTW if your not doin anything next month on the 9th maybe you could wonder on over to Cali for a coaching session at the west coast hot race and bring your hotrod. We'll show our best hospitality.

Mike

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/11/12 10:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks MR P
BTW if your not doin anything next month on the 9th maybe you could wonder on over to Cali for a coaching session at the west coast hot race and bring your hotrod. We'll show our best hospitality.

Mike

LOL.... dont think I can make it... buts thanks...
I'm still trying to finish up my Rampage
Posted By: Brandon70cuda

Re: Struggelin with Reaction times - 05/13/12 12:15 AM

One thing no one mentioned that at least I find important is being comfortable in the car. By that I mean being able to do the burnout, stage, and launch without thinking about any of it. If your worrying about if the car is gonna hook, run the number, cutting a good light, etc chances are your not gonna be consistent.

Something I found that help me do that faster is a private track rental where you can make a dozen passes in 4hrs if you want with no pressure. They aren't cheap anymore but can do wonders with getting to trust the car and a routine down pat.

So to sum it up STOP thinking and just let it happen.
© 2024 Moparts Forums