Nice stuff and at a decent price!!

Attached picture 7197845-MAY2012007.JPG
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/09/12 02:01 AM

Exhaust ports...

Attached picture 7197846-MAY2012005.JPG

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/09/12 02:03 AM

I'll post some flow #'s I have for the 6.1 and the newer 5.7 heads pictured here.
I won't have flow #'s on the older 5.7 heads for about 2 weeks but I'll post them when I have them.

I'll post some pics of the other heads in the next few days.
Brian
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/09/12 02:49 AM

Cool! Do you need a set of the older heads?

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/09/12 03:44 AM

Quote:

Cool! Do you need a set of the older heads?

Maybe! The heads that we got with the block on our 5.7 have the seats falling out of them. I can fix them, and was planning on starting with them stock, then ported then moving on to the late 5.7 heads pictured here.
Posted By: sshemi

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/09/12 07:56 PM

I would love to hear about this
Posted By: 72swgnr

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/09/12 08:09 PM

Looking forward to reading about your results. Can you give a rundown on approx. price that goes along with building one of these engines as well?

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/09/12 09:17 PM

Quote:

Looking forward to reading about your results. Can you give a rundown on approx. price that goes along with building one of these engines as well?

Posted By: Abodyjohn88

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/09/12 11:05 PM

Are the new hemis what you would call a splayed valve layout? .......
Posted By: MattW

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/09/12 11:09 PM

Thanks for the info Brian

I thought the Scat crank was 3.79
If not what rods are you using and lenght? Matt

Gave one of my old post a bump.
Posted By: topbrent

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/10/12 12:55 AM

Hey Brian, maybe you can convince edelbrock to release the dual plane single 4 barrel 5.7 Hemi intake manifold that has been designed, tested, and subsequently mothballed because "there just isn't a market"...and various other lame reasons.

Are you planning to implement the new retrofit kits to the GM LSx computer and coils? Makes life easy from a tuning standpoint. Every dyno shop on the planet can tune the LSx PCM.

Attached is the PDF Mopar Action article on the GM PCM conversion.

Attached File
Posted By: 65signet

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/10/12 01:02 AM

Posted By: mshred

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/10/12 02:03 AM

I will be watching this close Brian...next engine I build I would like to do a new hemi.

Are you going to be hand porting these hemi heads, or developing a CNC program for them?

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/10/12 05:34 AM

Quote:

I will be watching this close Brian...next engine I build I would like to do a new hemi.

Are you going to be hand porting these hemi heads, or developing a CNC program for them?

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one excited about these engines.
We are looking at a cnc machine in the next year or so, but for now everything is hand ported by me.
We are doing CARB only as I believe there is a strong market for guys who want easy to tune engines mild to wild.

I'm talking with Edelbrock now about some things so I'll mention the intake. I think a dual plane done right would be the way to go for mild builds but we'll see what happens.
I will flow this late 5.7 and an early 5.7 tomorrow and post the flow curves later on. I also have a pair of 6.1's that I've flowed for comparison.
I'll try to list the AVG CSA of each head as well. The crank Scat has is 3.900 and 4.050 I belive but I'll check on that.
I'm also going to sonic test the 5.7 block next week and go from there.
Brian

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/10/12 06:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one excited about these engines.
We are looking at a cnc machine in the next year or so, but for now everything is hand ported by me.
We are doing CARB only as I believe there is a strong market for guys who want easy to tune engines mild to wild.

I'm talking with Edelbrock now about some things so I'll mention the intake. I think a dual plane done right would be the way to go for mild builds but we'll see what happens.
I will flow this late 5.7 and an early 5.7 tomorrow and post the flow curves later on. I also have a pair of 6.1's that I've flowed for comparison.
I'll try to list the AVG CSA of each head as well. The crank Scat has is 3.900 and 4.050 I belive but I'll check on that.
I'm also going to sonic test the 5.7 block next week and go from there.
Brian

Why the long wait?
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/10/12 03:25 PM

Quote:

I think a dual plane done right would be the way to go for mild builds

You have a PM on this wonderful topic

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/10/12 04:07 PM

SS: right now it seems the little LA engine is our hot topic. We build about 40 of these a year! And it seems everyone is kinda doing there own thing with them. Plus now there's decent parts to go CARB which is my personal preference.

Rich...ha ha! I read it. I'm not surprised in the least. Once again the HEMI brings some drama to the table!!
Posted By: jg309

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/10/12 08:46 PM

get hold of kent ritter or chunker @ maincine for the new intaks
Posted By: AlexP

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/10/12 11:03 PM

Here is my own personal 5.7 eagles with a worked chamber on the left and a stock chamber on the right.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/11/12 12:54 AM

Quote:

Here is my own personal 5.7 eagles with a worked chamber on the left and a stock chamber on the right.

Any power #'s with these heads?

I ran out of time to flow the other heads today so hopefully tomorrow I'll get to them.
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/11/12 01:23 AM

Cant wait to see what you and your Dad can do with the 3G HEMI stuff. I just seen your pictures and read the article on your 400 low deck build.

Alex your stuff is a work of art
Posted By: mkdart

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/11/12 03:42 AM

This post has got my attention!!!

Mike

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/11/12 01:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Any power #'s with these heads?

I ran out of time to flow the other heads today so hopefully tomorrow I'll get to them.

Novawagonmaster over on LXforums is going to crack a 10.99 with an all forged 5.7 in a 4000lb Raceweight Challenger soon enough with the same heads. This is a mid port head (stage 2).

He is within a tenth of his goal.
Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/11/12 03:36 PM

Looking forward to reading this one!
Posted By: gremlinsteve

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/12/12 12:45 AM

Novawagonmaster over on LXforums is going to crack a 10.99 with an all forged 5.7 in a 4000lb Raceweight Challenger soon enough with the same heads. This is a mid port head (stage 2).

not any more, in fact i have sent a different cam out and there is another set of heads going on that motor. well see what we can get it to soon

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/12/12 04:54 AM

Sorry guys, long dyno day and no flow #'s on the hemi heads. I will have them tomorrow for sure. I'll have pics of the 6.1 and early 5.7 heads too.

Plan on sonic testing the block tomorrow if I have time.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/14/12 12:16 AM

Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/14/12 12:28 AM

The 5.7 being a 3.92" bore and the 6.1 being a 4.05" bore, do you see any real drawbacks using a 5.7 block besides the obvious lower cubes? Was wondering if there would be an issue with airflow around valves, especially if stepping up to larger valves like in the 6.1 heads or the newer Apache 6.4 heads.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/14/12 06:00 AM

Quote:

The 5.7 being a 3.92" bore and the 6.1 being a 4.05" bore, do you see any real drawbacks using a 5.7 block besides the obvious lower cubes? Was wondering if there would be an issue with airflow around valves, especially if stepping up to larger valves like in the 6.1 heads or the newer Apache 6.4 heads.

If you look at what Bischoff did with the 5.7 in the Engine Masters, I'd say it's not nearly as bad as if it were a wedge deal.
I know the EM stuff is very trick, but I have a hard time believing you couldn't make 700+HP with a high compression, large cam'd stroker 5.7.
I'm sure the larger bore engine will be easier to get more power out of, or easier to hit a certain HP #....I know I wouldn't mind having an aluminum 4.125 bore block to go in the duster!!
But we'll focus on the 5.7 blocks for cost and availability reasons.
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/14/12 12:56 PM

Quote:

There is a guy on the LX forum that has a stroker 5.7 that had ported eagle head running itnto the mid 11'w he switch to a set of ported 6.4 apache heads and went .2 quicker in the 1/4 mile. Keep in mind his block was bored .020 over. A member Matt on this board posted the apache head on a standard bore 5.7 and the intake valve looks close to the cylinder walls

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/14/12 11:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There is a guy on the LX forum that has a stroker 5.7 that had ported eagle head running itnto the mid 11'w he switch to a set of ported 6.4 apache heads and went .2 quicker in the 1/4 mile. Keep in mind his block was bored .020 over. A member Matt on this board posted the apache head on a standard bore 5.7 and the intake valve looks close to the cylinder walls

Attached picture 7206231-IMG_0076.JPG
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/15/12 12:56 AM

Dave Kogan aka hemi Dave here on long island did one of those n/a hemi motors, car is over 4000 and it's in the 10's...no info on it other then my bud seeing it in person
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/15/12 10:06 AM

I run a short filled 400 block in the street for several years, just a tad above the bottom of the freezeplugs. Had no oil cooler and no oil temp gauge. And also no problems with a 3.75" stroke. I also run a RB block filled close to the tops of the freeze plugs, 4.15" stroke, no oil cooler or gauge. In that case the oil got propably too hot in continuous driving on the freeway, the oil pressure dropped after about 1/2 hour of driving from 60-70 psi to 30-40 psi level. Swithcing to synthetics made the situation better, there was even some pressure at idle. I kind of figured that as long as the fill stays below the piston ring travel, there is zero problems, and as you raise the level, the more problems. Oil cooler is definitely a good idea, and should let you use even a realtively tall fill in a streeter.
Posted By: StandOnIt

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/15/12 12:23 PM

Here are some pics my brother took yesterday showing the port sizes on the eagle heads vs the early 5.7 heads. Crazy the size jump on the eagle. I will start clean up on the eagles and hand port / polish soon. Is there roller rockers avail for these motors yet? The eagles have only 40k miles and the valve tips are beat up awfully bad from the stock rockers.

Attached picture 7206823-5.7intake.jpg

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/15/12 12:25 PM

Exhaust side. 5.7 eagle head left. early 5.7 head right.

Attached picture 7206824-5.7exhaust.jpg
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/15/12 04:38 PM

Quote:

Here are some pics my brother took yesterday showing the port sizes on the eagle heads vs the early 5.7 heads. Crazy the size jump on the eagle. I will start clean up on the eagles and hand port / polish soon. Is there roller rockers avail for these motors yet? The eagles have only 40k miles and the valve tips are beat up awfully bad from the stock rockers.

good comparing pic,thats a huge diference!

as for rockers http://www.harlandsharp.com/hemi.htm
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/15/12 04:51 PM

what years are the early and late heads??

my 5.7 is 2004
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/15/12 05:08 PM

2004 will be early heads. 2009 I believe is the first year of the Eagle Head.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/15/12 09:11 PM

Quote:

what years are the early and late heads??

my 5.7 is 2004

Your 04 are early.
2003 2008 5.7 early
2009 to present 5.7 late.
6.1 go to 2010 I THINK
6.4 2011 to present I THINK
Matt

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/16/12 05:31 AM

It's good to see this thread take on a life of it's own!
I've been to busy to flow the other heads and sonic test the 5.7 block. I'm hoping to have some info this week.
Icon just finished scanning the late 5.7 head, and will soon have both a 10.25:1 piston and 13:1 piston with a 3.900 stroke and 4.050 stroke in a 5.7 bore size as well as 6.1 bore size.
This piston can only work with the late head as it's chamber is different than the early 5.7 and 6.1.
Brian

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/18/12 03:09 PM

Quote:

I've been to busy to flow the other heads and sonic test the 5.7 block. I'm hoping to have some info this week.
Icon just finished scanning the late 5.7 head, and will soon have both a 10.25:1 piston and 13:1 piston with a 3.900 stroke and 4.050 stroke in a 5.7 bore size as well as 6.1 bore size.
This piston can only work with the late head as it's chamber is different than the early 5.7 and 6.1.
Brian

Posted By: racer_amx

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/18/12 05:13 PM

Awesome

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/19/12 02:56 PM

Quote:

Brian

Will they offer a stock stroke piston? I have rods in my back and can't climb thru a rollcage. I can only use bars with a swing-out. I'm only wanting to make around 550 hp so I don't need the stroker setup. We talked to Hughes and a few others and the 550 mark will be an eay build with the stock stroke and eagle heads, drag pack intake, good headers and a mild hyd roller cam. I just wish a roller rocker setup wasnt almost 2 grand! Thats just crazy! We will be knocking the block 40 over and needing forged slugs. My magnum motor has been racing for 7 years and went 5 years with the valvecovers never being taken off. I hope the 5.7 will be the same but with more rpms and fun.
Posted By: SLEDGEHAMMER

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/19/12 11:58 PM

Quote:

Nice, cant wait to see the results

I am looking forward to the results also.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/22/12 01:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Brian

Will they offer a stock stroke piston? I have rods in my back and can't climb thru a rollcage. I can only use bars with a swing-out. I'm only wanting to make around 550 hp so I don't need the stroker setup. We talked to Hughes and a few others and the 550 mark will be an eay build with the stock stroke and eagle heads, drag pack intake, good headers and a mild hyd roller cam. I just wish a roller rocker setup wasnt almost 2 grand! Thats just crazy! We will be knocking the block 40 over and needing forged slugs. My magnum motor has been racing for 7 years and went 5 years with the valvecovers never being taken off. I hope the 5.7 will be the same but with more rpms and fun.

Yes they will offer a nice stock stroke piston but be carefull about using the late 5.7 hemi head with a stock stroke. TQ will be very low at low rpm so if your going to use tall gears for the street, I'd either go with the early 5.7 heads with some slight porting, or the late heads with a 3.900 or 4.050 crank.
Don't use the stock rods!

Sorry I have kept you guys hanging...I just took the family camping for 4 days to get away from work and spend some time with them.
Brian

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/22/12 01:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Brian

Yes they will offer a nice stock stroke piston but be carefull about using the late 5.7 hemi head with a stock stroke. TQ will be very low at low rpm so if your going to use tall gears for the street, I'd either go with the early 5.7 heads with some slight porting, or the late heads with a 3.900 or 4.050 crank.

Sorry I have kept you guys hanging...I just took the family camping for 4 days to get away from work and spend some time with them.
Brian

Brian, it will be a basic bracket foot brake motor. I am running a 904 trans with a T/A 8" verter with a 4800 stall, 4.10 rear gear with a 28.5 drag radial. The car weighs in at just under 3300 with me in it soaking wet. Cam motion will prob cut me a camshaft. They said they have a wicked stock-elim grind for it.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/22/12 04:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Brian

Brian

Brian, it will be a basic bracket foot brake motor. I am running a 904 trans with a T/A 8" verter with a 4800 stall, 4.10 rear gear with a 28.5 drag radial. The car weighs in at just under 3300 with me in it soaking wet. Cam motion will prob cut me a camshaft. They said they have a wicked stock-elim grind for it.

Compression will help!!

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/22/12 10:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Brian

Brian your statement here is because the head is too big?

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/22/12 10:43 PM

It's a pretty large port. I'd be willing to bet it'll hurt low speed TQ over the early casting. But with a higher rpm range, and good compression the late head should be much better!
Posted By: patrick

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/23/12 02:40 PM

Quote:

It's a pretty large port. I'd be willing to bet it'll hurt low speed TQ over the early casting. But with a higher rpm range, and good compression the late head should be much better!

it's gotta be all relative, as my '11 charger R/T doesn't feel like it's soft on the low end, even with 28.6" tires, 2.65 rear and 3.59 1st gear (so, equivalant first gear as a 727 with 3.8 rear gears and a 28" tire, or 3.66's and 27" tire)

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/23/12 03:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

it's gotta be all relative, as my '11 charger R/T doesn't feel like it's soft on the low end, even with 28.6" tires, 2.65 rear and 3.59 1st gear (so, equivalant first gear as a 727 with 3.8 rear gears and a 28" tire, or 3.66's and 27" tire)

Thats because the VCT helps on that. however most guys will lock out the VCT when doing a swap because their is no after support yet for that.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/30/12 12:16 AM

Did all the flow testing today. Now the 6.1 heads I have, someone has done some mild cleanup to the ports...doesn't look like any carbide work just some flashing removal and blending with a cartridge roll.
Other than that, all theads are untouched OOTB.

First is the pre '09 5.7 head with stock 2.00x1.55 valves and factory VJ:
Lift Int. Ex.
100 72 54
200 151 120
300 223 158
400 256 177
500 265 186
600 267 190
700 268 190

Late 5.7 Hemi with 2.03x1.55 factory valves and VJ:
Lift Int. Ex.
100 72 52
200 155 116
300 233 156
400 283 182
500 303 192
600 308 195
700 311 196

6.1 Hemi with factory 2.08x1.6 valves and factory VJ:
Lift Int. Ex.
100 72 61
200 146 122
300 221 170
400 278 200
500 315 205
600 334 209
700 338 210

So what does it all mean? Haaaa....I think any of these heads will work awesome but they do have drasticly different port shapes and sizes. I'll post pics tonite so you can see them next to one another.
I really like the later 5.7 head with the smaller chambers. And they have much longer valves than the other heads have as well.

The early 5.7 had much faster intake ports since the ports are much smaller than the late 5.7 and 6.1 so they should work best with smaller cid engines and lower rpm strokers especially with some mild port work.
I'm hoping we start doing some testing here within a couple of months and anything we do I'll post it up.
Brian
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/30/12 12:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

long intake port runners

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/30/12 04:51 AM

early 5.7 on top of a 6.1...

Attached picture 7227739-May292012001.JPG

Attached picture 7227741-May292012002.JPG

Attached picture 7227742-May292012003.JPG

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/30/12 04:53 AM

early 5.7 and late 5.7

Attached picture 7227744-May292012004.JPG

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/30/12 04:53 AM

Attached picture 7227745-May292012005.JPG

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/30/12 04:54 AM

late 5.7 chamber

Attached picture 7227746-May292012006.JPG

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/30/12 04:54 AM

late 5.7 on flow bench

Attached picture 7227748-May292012007.JPG

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/30/12 04:55 AM

MUCHO PORT!!

Attached picture 7227749-May292012008.JPG

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/30/12 05:33 AM

These heads are super impressive for out of the box stuff...I look forward to what else you find so that I can ask myself even more why the heck im still playing with the LA stuff lol

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/31/12 02:42 AM

Quote:

Did all the flow testing today. Now the 6.1 heads I have, someone has done some mild cleanup to the ports...doesn't look like any carbide work just some flashing removal and blending with a cartridge roll.
Other than that, all theads are untouched OOTB.

First is the pre '09 5.7 head with stock 2.00x1.55 valves and factory VJ:
Lift Int. Ex.
100 72 54
200 151 120
300 223 158
400 256 177
500 265 186
600 267 190
700 268 190

Late 5.7 Hemi with 2.03x1.55 factory valves and VJ:
Lift Int. Ex.
100 72 52
200 155 116
300 233 156
400 283 182
500 303 192
600 308 195
700 311 196

6.1 Hemi with factory 2.08x1.6 valves and factory VJ:
Lift Int. Ex.
100 72 61
200 146 122
300 221 170
400 278 200
500 315 205
600 334 209
700 338 210

So what does it all mean? Haaaa....I think any of these heads will work awesome but they do have drasticly different port shapes and sizes. I'll post pics tonite so you can see them next to one another.
I really like the later 5.7 head with the smaller chambers. And they have much longer valves than the other heads have as well.

The early 5.7 had much faster intake ports since the ports are much smaller than the late 5.7 and 6.1 so they should work best with smaller cid engines and lower rpm strokers especially with some mild port work.
I'm hoping we start doing some testing here within a couple of months and anything we do I'll post it up.
Brian

Just got my set flowed 5.7 stock head
intake ............. exhaust
.100 72.2 ............ 56.6
.200 150.4 ............ 112.4
.300 217.3 ............ 148.9
.400 272.5 ............ 176.3
.500 299.2 ............ 183.6
.600 302 ............ 185

not bad for a STOCK HEAD. Matt

I don't think I remember to put the putty on.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 05/31/12 05:51 AM

I used a 2" pipe on all the exhaust ports when I flowed them.
Without a flow radius on the intake, the air shears at the opening and skews the results.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/04/12 06:20 PM

What are people using for a valve spring compressor?
My manual C clamp is a [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] to use. Matt
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/04/12 06:24 PM

You can buy a spring compressor from several sources,I made my own as it's pretty easy,cheap and faster than ordering one. Crane cams as well as others have what you need.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/04/12 06:43 PM

On the car or off the car?

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/04/12 07:29 PM

Quote:

On the car or off the car?

C CLAMP. off the car. I know about all the different types.
Just thought my simple manual C Clamp type would work better.
Maybe its me but never had a problem with regular heads.
Eventually I will make one that site on the heads and you scew the spring to compress it.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/04/12 08:14 PM

http://www.mtiracingtools.com/ValveSpringCompressor.html

I've only used this. It was a breeze. It's only justified if you do it daily.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/05/12 02:28 PM

Hey its back
Brian let's keep this going . I have a new set of Apache heads I will flow soon.
Man the valve and port are big.
Really looking for a set of OFF THE SHELF piston and rod combo for the factory 3.72 stroke crankshaft. Matt

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/05/12 03:21 PM

hey Brian have you measured the volume of the ports?
Would be very interesting.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/05/12 07:41 PM

Well I just got my 6.4 heads in the mail today

http://s1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj501/540Challenger/GenIII%20Hemi%20build/

My Alum. block should be here tomorrow i will have pictures up tomorrow

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/05/12 07:53 PM

Quote:

Which block did you get . Same place as the heads?
Will be keeping an eye on you. Lol

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/05/12 08:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The block i got through jegs. Since the block and heads are going to sit for at least a year while i gather funds to finsh the build. Since i tapped out my car fund between the hemi parts and Vet's bills

4500 cost for the block

1300 for the heads

2000 for the Vet bills b/c my 5 pound dog ate Chocolate so there goes the rotating assemble money

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/05/12 09:00 PM

No port volumes as of yet. Ahhhh a 6.4 deal would be very nice. I would love to work with the aluminum block too.
I'm so buried here at work who know's when I'll have time to get to the Hemi builds. I'm having some difficulty keeping up.

On a different note...I hope to be building a stroker 6.1 for my Duster by the end of the year so let's keep this going!!

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/05/12 09:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The block i got through jegs. Since the block and heads are going to sit for at least a year while i gather funds to finsh the build. Since i tapped out my car fund between the hemi parts and Vet's bills

4500 cost for the block

1300 for the heads

2000 for the Vet bills b/c my 5 pound dog ate Chocolate so there goes the rotating assemble money

Nice had a 145 lbs rotty that ate a big green caterpillar.
Stupid thing almost died. $$$$$$$
What block did you get? I think the one that is bored to 4.114 is the better one because if the amount of rebuilds you can get.
Thx for the info.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/05/12 09:50 PM

Quote:

No port volumes as of yet. Ahhhh a 6.4 deal would be very nice. I would love to work with the aluminum block too.
I'm so buried here at work who know's when I'll have time to get to the Hemi builds. I'm having some difficulty keeping up.

On a different note...I hope to be building a stroker 6.1 for my Duster by the end of the year so let's keep this going!!

Brian I think their is only 3 ways to make the Apache head work.
Force induction, spinning.it to the moon in small CID form or large cubes.
The second one I'm concern about possible oiling issues.
The last ,and this is my avenues, is using the 4.25 crank. Apparently BES had to sink the valve .070 to make this work.

I could be totally wrong in saying this so don't take it personal. I don't think you need any expertise to port this heads.
The port is a straight shot at the valve. No short turn to worry about.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/06/12 11:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

4500 cost for the block

1300 for the heads

Nice had a 145 lbs rotty that ate a big green caterpillar.
Stupid thing almost died. $$$$$$$
What block did you get? I think the one that is bored to 4.114 is the better one because if the amount of rebuilds you can get.
Thx for the info.

Thats the one i got P5153898 4.114 semi-finshed bore and max bore at 4.185

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/06/12 11:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The last ,and this is my avenues, is using the 4.25 crank. Apparently BES had to sink the valve .070 to make this work.

I could be totally wrong in saying this so don't take it personal. I don't think you need any expertise to port this heads.

Matt i will have to dig through my LXforum PMs but their is a guy who was running with ported eagles that upgraded to ported apache heads on a 5.7 stroker i think

Here are the results at the track and dyno numbers

http://www.lxforums.com/board/f252/alcharger-new-pb-today-alabama-international-dragway-293944/

http://www.lxforums.com/board/f71/%2A%2Aapache-heads-dyno-results%2A%2A-281614/

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/07/12 12:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

IDK, a stock 392 works pretty well with them....granted they have variable valve timing....

I remember a long time ago, Dulcich did a stock stroke 440 using some big indy heads (can't remember if they were SR's or 440-1) that one would think would be waaaay too big for stock cubes, with a short, fast duration cam (IIRC comp XE275HL with either 1.6 or 1.7 rockers), and other than valtrain stability issues at high RPM caused by the hydraulic lifter, the engine was very responsive, and a monster both in HP and torque...

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/07/12 05:21 PM

A big Wedge head is a bit different than a big Hemi head! Everyone know's 426 Hemi's don't make any low speed power...it's all up top.

I don't think a 4.25 stroke is the best thing for most applications for me anyway. I like an engine that has some poop up top. I mean, isn't this what makes the Hemi Famous??
I like the 3.79 and 3.90 strokes, and I think 8000rpm is plenty to make most bracket guys happy. That's where we will be consentrating our efforts.
Brian
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/07/12 06:05 PM

when will we get some ported flow numbers?

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/07/12 07:34 PM

Quote:

when will we get some ported flow numbers?

It might be a few weeks. I really want to do some dyno testing with the stock heads and get aquainted to their characteristics before I port them although it's probably a waste of time but if the Eagle head works well OOTB on our stroker engines with our cams it'll save the customer money not porting them.
That's my main goal, getting these engines priced where they are affordable, reliable and making power.
Brian

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/07/12 08:42 PM

Quote:

A big Wedge head is a bit different than a big Hemi head! Everyone know's 426 Hemi's don't make any low speed power...it's all up top.

yes and no...you get some inherent tumble and swirl induced by the wedge head's valves proximity to the cylinder wall, as well as increased shrouding that you won't get with a hemi or pentroof (closer to what the genIII is)....but overall intke tract length, port volume, cross section, and valve timing/action I bet have a bigger influence in low speed power than valve configuration. take a similar displacement hemi and wedge, with similar port volume/cross section built similarly, I bet their power curves will track pretty closely....

here's the dyno results of Dulcich's "mild manner mauler" which is a .030 over, stock stroke 440 with 295CC indy EZ heads, comp XE275HL with 1.7 rockers, and starts out with an indy dual plane intake....

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/projectbuild/mopp_0510_440_engine_dyno_test/dyno_results.html

with the indy 2 plane intake, those huge heads are making peak torque at 3500 RPM, while still making 96% of peak torque from 3100 RPM to 5500 RPM, where he got into instability issues trying to run a hydraulic lifter with an XEHL cam AND 1.7 rockers...runs 3 and 4 switch to a single plane intake, and that one change moved the torque peak up to 5000 RPM, but we only see about 85% of peak torque at 3100 RPM....

here's the same motor, but a switch to a small solid roller (242@.050)

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techa...no_results.html

interesting how the peak torque with the dual plane intake jumped up to basically a plateau from 4500-5500 RPM, but it's still making 90% of peak torque from 3000 RPM to 6500, and with a switch to a single plane, peak torque jumped up to ~5000 RPM, but it's only making 81% at 3000 RPM...

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/08/12 03:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

yes and no...you get some inherent tumble and swirl induced by the wedge head's valves proximity to the cylinder wall, as well as increased shrouding that you won't get with a hemi or pentroof (closer to what the genIII is)....but overall intke tract length, port volume, cross section, and valve timing/action I bet have a bigger influence in low speed power than valve configuration. take a similar displacement hemi and wedge, with similar port volume/cross section built similarly, I bet their power curves will track pretty closely....

here's the dyno results of Dulcich's "mild manner mauler" which is a .030 over, stock stroke 440 with 295CC indy EZ heads, comp XE275HL with 1.7 rockers, and starts out with an indy dual plane intake....

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/projectbuild/mopp_0510_440_engine_dyno_test/dyno_results.html

with the indy 2 plane intake, those huge heads are making peak torque at 3500 RPM, while still making 96% of peak torque from 3100 RPM to 5500 RPM, where he got into instability issues trying to run a hydraulic lifter with an XEHL cam AND 1.7 rockers...runs 3 and 4 switch to a single plane intake, and that one change moved the torque peak up to 5000 RPM, but we only see about 85% of peak torque at 3100 RPM....

here's the same motor, but a switch to a small solid roller (242@.050)

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techa...no_results.html

interesting how the peak torque with the dual plane intake jumped up to basically a plateau from 4500-5500 RPM, but it's still making 90% of peak torque from 3000 RPM to 6500, and with a switch to a single plane, peak torque jumped up to ~5000 RPM, but it's only making 81% at 3000 RPM...

Now go find a Hemi that somebody did those things to and you'll see what I mean.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/08/12 01:58 PM

Well we have an aftermakert head for the 3rd gen Hemi already

http://www.lxforums.com/board/f71/introd...er-head-310779/
Posted By: cagebob1

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/08/12 02:07 PM

Let's hope that this is just the beginning of the wave of aftermarket support this engine deserves!

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/08/12 02:48 PM

Quote:

Well we have an aftermakert head for the 3rd gen Hemi already

http://www.lxforums.com/board/f71/introd...er-head-310779/

Nice to see but IMO we need a cast siamese big bore block for about the same price as an R3.
Get the block and sky the limit.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/08/12 11:45 PM

Quote:

Let's hope that this is just the beginning of the wave of aftermarket support this engine deserves!

And I also agree a block would be nice although the Aluminum MP blocks should be the way to go other than cost.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/26/12 11:58 PM

How bout this for a combo.
production 6.4 short block for 2200.
early 5.7 heads that should give you a 9.7 compression
add cam headers dragpack intake and you have over 500 hp.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/27/12 05:58 AM

Quote:

How bout this for a combo.
production 6.4 short block for 2200.
early 5.7 heads that should give you a 9.7 compression
add cam headers dragpack intake and you have over 500 hp.

OK, where are you getting a 6.4 short block cheaper than a 6.1????
Posted By: Pat7272

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/27/12 01:50 PM

Quote:

OK, where are you getting a 6.4 short block cheaper than a 6.1????

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post7249623

PN RL086564AB

http://www.mopar.com/part/RL086564AB?s=335643&i=1973412&b=dodge

MSRP = $2240

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/27/12 09:48 PM

Are 6.4's forged components in the bottom end? What is the cubic inch on these engines? Thats a pretty screaming deal

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/27/12 10:13 PM

Quote:

Are 6.4's forged components in the bottom end? What is the cubic inch on these engines? Thats a pretty screaming deal

Yes but the rods are powder crack type floating pin.
6.4 cid is 392.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/27/12 10:14 PM

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi_engine#6.4_.2F_392

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/SRT-V8.html

Yes but the rods are powder crack type floating pin.
6.4 cid is 392.

Does someone make a forged rod that's the same length and weight? Swap those in, no balancing required.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/27/12 10:42 PM

We picked up 30rwhp and 28rwtq from an almost bone stock 392 with only ported 6.4 heads.

6.4 is a good number for hemi's, with the apaches or nor.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/27/12 11:20 PM

Quote:

We picked up 30rwhp and 28rwtq from an almost bone stock 392 with only ported 6.4 heads.

Are the 6.4 heads significantly better than the 6.1? How about the Apache?

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/28/12 12:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Stock they flow a little more on the intake side however they a large 2.14 vavlue which should help out low and lift flow numbers over the 6.1 plus the fact the 6.4 has a closed chamber.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/28/12 12:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Depending on application.
6.4 heads are Apache heads.
IMO the 6.4 is too big but I'm no expert. Matt

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/28/12 01:28 AM

thanks for the info guys

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/28/12 01:44 AM

Quote:

Depending on application.
6.4 heads are Apache heads.
IMO the 6.4 is too big but I'm no expert. Matt

My mistake, I'm still trying to learn these new HEMIs on paper.

How do the 6.4 Apaches compare to the 5.7 Eagle heads? On a 6.4L + engine.

Re: Got our late 5.7 Hemi heads today! - 06/28/12 01:53 AM

The Eagles are my favorite head for the Hemi Platform. They've for a tight chamber, a reasonable sized intake port and the D-port exhaust from the 6.1.

They've done amazing things on a 426 in 4600 lb raceweight cars (I don't know if you can really call 4600lbs a raceweight lol)

The 6.4 head is a more modern version of the 6.1...Not to say the 6.1 is "bad" but I think big ports and peaky power are the norm now of days.

Each head has its purpose. If you're starting from scratch, there is no reason for price or performance that you should start with anything but BNIB eagle or apache.
© 2024 Moparts Forums