Moparts

Rubber crank comment

Posted By: quickd100

Rubber crank comment - 05/07/12 03:22 AM

I didn't watch the races today from Atlanta. On another forum someone commented that Jason Line in a post race interview said that Allen Johnson was cheating. Some comment about running a rubber crank. What was that all about??? Sour Grapes???? Dave
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/07/12 12:31 PM

I didn't hear the comment,Dave but I saw that round..AJ put an .011 light on Line and it looked like AJ shut it down? AJ and Roy are making some steam this year so you know the Summit guys will be complaining...
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/07/12 03:32 PM

Well IMO, if Line was serious or not it's not a comment to be taken lightly. With the economy the way it is, and as hard as it is to attract sponsors to fund a team, it's something no one wants to hear spoken about themselves. If I were Roy and Allen I'd be having a talk with those boys behind the trailer.Dave
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/07/12 03:57 PM

I would say those are some serious accusations that AJ or Roy will possibly not take too lightly.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/07/12 04:02 PM

I didnt hear it but Line looked pretty serious in his
interview
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/07/12 04:50 PM

They don't call Allen "Rooster" for nothing. Don't worry about AJ. Or Roy for that matter, AJ came by it honest. Cheating? I don't think so. Can't get anything past those NHRA inspectors.

Brian Dunnigan
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/07/12 05:01 PM

This isn`t the first time Jason has been a "cry baby" and if the boys keep kickin ass, it won`t be the last.........
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/08/12 12:39 AM

"Rooster" is Allen's Dad,Roy.They are making serious Hp,no doubt about it.And true to form,whenever Mopar rains on the GM parade,they always cry foul..or is that "fowl"???
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/08/12 12:42 AM

maybe because sometimes it takes a cheater to beat a cheater?
Posted By: tjmarcus1

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/08/12 12:46 AM

isn't jim yates still with the team? it seems to me that they raised their game when he came onboard!
Posted By: 70VcodeCoronetRT

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/08/12 12:53 AM

"Just wait until the Camaros come out" Thats what Greg said
Posted By: robnbird

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/08/12 02:33 AM

Quote:

I agree
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/08/12 01:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree

It takes a cheater mentality to out and out accuse someone without proof. Pretty self centered , as well. (IF I CAN'T DO IT, HOW CAN THEY??) I say to anyone making accusations, prove it, or shut your trap! A real sportsman would publicly say, "those guys are flying, we are going to have to up our game"
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/08/12 01:41 PM

It looked to me(at the race)like AJ blew the tires off it leaving the starting line,like he has done in the past a time or two when he missed the set-up. I taped the race and will watch it tonight and may can tell more,but I am almost positive he blew the tires off because it looked like the car got side-ways and out of the groove.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/08/12 02:35 PM

Quite simple...dont support the whiners sponsor... ...probably 80% of the people on this board brag about buying from them right? You got two guys running GM cars at Summit, and Jeggie running a Mopar, and gets hardly any support here. I have no dog in this fight, I dont buy from either of them anyhow, but if I was to support a mail order house, it would make sense to support the one running Mopars right?

BTW...I asked Allen Johnson to stop in Moparts and give us a quick update...as always...he will oblige shortly. He never fails to respond. Class act they are.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/08/12 02:52 PM

Quote:

Quite simple...dont support the whiners sponsor... ...probably 80% of the people on this board brag about buying from them right? You got two guys running GM cars at Summit, and Jeggie running a Mopar, and gets hardly any support here. I have no dog in this fight, I dont buy from either of them anyhow, but if I was to support a mail order house, it would make sense to support the one running Mopars right?

BTW...I asked Allen Johnson to stop in Moparts and give us a quick update...as always...he will oblige shortly. He never fails to respond. Class act they are.

I agree, I haven't bought anything from Summit in quite a long time but I have bought quite a bit from Jegs.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/08/12 05:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree, I haven't bought anything from Summit in quite a long time but I have bought quite a bit from Jegs.

same here, Jeg's has been Mopar friendly since way back when.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/08/12 06:51 PM

Would someone explain what is meant by the comment "rubber crank"!!!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/08/12 06:54 PM

I think of ultra lightweight cranks flexing, do you think that is what he reffering to?
Posted By: produster

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/08/12 06:58 PM

Quote:

I think of ultra lightweight cranks flexing, do you think that is what he reffering to?

I was thinking the same thing but to what advantage? it will flex both ways. Maybe I am thinking of it linerally and not in a 3D way.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/08/12 10:24 PM

I've heard this before ...

"he's cheating!"
"why do you say that?"
"'cause I'm cheating and he beat me."
Posted By: King Cuda

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/09/12 05:03 PM

Easy on Jason boys!He never said Allen was cheating! Jason and the guys at KB racing are actually building a real Hemi for me!Maybe i'll see if he'll put a rubber crank in it.I'm sure if you guys actually knew Jason you would see he is as much a sportsman racer as a pro!As tough as ss/ah is, Jason is attacking this as he does everything,to his utmost!I'm excited as you should be to have a new engine program in ss/ah!As far as Summit goes you can't beat them!
Posted By: BradH

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/09/12 05:35 PM

Quote:

... Jason and the guys at KB racing are actually building a real Hemi for me!...

How long's it been since you were working w/ Joe Clark(e?) on your engine program? Any comments on how that turned out?

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/09/12 06:42 PM

Great, give him a real Hemi to build and now he's going to learn something. Look, I know those guys work hard and Greg's brother Jeff is here local but I just can't get past the 'tude.

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/09/12 06:43 PM

2 years, when i came out with him we went right to the top!Then as we say I wait three years for my new motor with all the tricks and never panned out as promised.So I moved on!Jason and the guys at KB are as good as it gets ,and I will be fast again!!!!

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/09/12 06:49 PM

Yea he learned the word HEMIROID from picking up them heavy bast@rds as he would say! And he has no ...TUDE Hes like anyone else he prides himself as being the FASTEST.

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/09/12 07:02 PM

Greg is the one that acts like his poop don't stink.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/09/12 07:18 PM

Well Greg is not a very personably person, and he DOES act like a douche. Jason is getting like that, but not as bad. Ive been around them in Topeka, and Bandemere, every time they have a too good attitude and dont like to talk to ya. I wanted to talk with Jason on his Wagon build he has, and I tried to ask him how much he drives it, and what he got it dialed in to run and he gave me the cold shoulder. They werent even racing, or even getting ready to race. This was on a friday and they were already very highly qualified.

Now a total flip to this was at the same race, Bandemere, (sp). I was walking through the pits had a mopar performance shirt on. There by a pole watching some sportsman racing was Jeggie, Larry morgan, and Connely. All three of them shot the [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] with me for quite some time, signed my shirt, and Dads helmate he just bought. I was pretty impressed with those guys, just regular guys who just happen to be pro racers.

I could care less what they drive in Pro stock, if they are to good to talk to their fans, and snub them off, they can all kiss my ticket paying azz. We as fans keep their jobs going. Ive never had any issues with Allen or Roy. Alderman, and Scott RIP were cool also.

Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/09/12 07:32 PM

i met greg a couple of years ago, and he was very personable and engaging. then again, he wasn't getting his fanny waxed by a mopar, either.

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/09/12 07:52 PM

How about this, A.how many pro stock teams are building ss/ah motors? B. how many even care?C. how many would take the time?D. how many are smart enough?.....answer.Jason and KB crew and he likes Buicks!

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/09/12 07:57 PM

Don't say Jason don't care about the fans.I was at the detroit autorama and Jason was in the summit booth talking to the fans forever and I don't no how anyone could take all the stories he has to listen about my 72 chevelle that has a crate motor and runs high 14s and what shifter he should use and on and on and on.He was polite to each and everyone and had words for everyone!
Posted By: Smoparmike

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/10/12 02:36 AM

Last year at RT66 me and my boys (ages 10& 11) were walking through the pits getting pics and autographs and Greg and Jason were great.I always had the idea that they were to good for the rest of us but proved me wrong.We didn't get any mopar drivers autographs that day they were all to busy with hospitality stuff. I still root for AJ but have new respect for the summit boys.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/10/12 03:19 AM

Hoping that Line Hemi puts some brown stains in someones camo undies when you get it dialed in Bucky. Maybe Jason lurks here and that's the reason he brushes some of you guys off!
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Rubber crank comment - 05/10/12 06:05 AM

Everybody has good days, and bad days, even at the track! I'm sure a few fellow racers or spectators have thought I was a jerk on more than one occasion...and I'm the nicest guy on this board!!

I like Jason's sense of humor, and let's face it, if you're throwing your hat in the Pro Stock ring...you better have thick skin, and a healthy dose of self-confidence if you intend to stay around long, so I don't think a few words thrown about is going to get anyone in an uproar.

Now I gotta call my machinist and inquire about one o' them rubber cranks...

Attached picture 7199692-Copy(2)ofstuddlydadscowlscan.jpg
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Rubber crank comment - 06/18/12 02:34 PM

Wow, can't believe I missed this thread. I know a girl that worked at Summit for quite a while and she said that both Anderson and Line were even jerks(not the word she used) to the people that worked there. Wouldn't even stop and say hi. Or slow down and acknowledge you.
But anywho...
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Rubber crank comment - 06/18/12 03:23 PM

Quote:

Would someone explain what is meant by the comment "rubber crank"!!!

If the wossy boy was a little bit older, he would realize that that comment only pretained to flathead motors.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Rubber crank comment - 06/18/12 03:51 PM

Along those same lines, isn't Line & Anderson the ones who had those illegal shocks a few years back? You know, the ones that were $10K apiece, and had computer logic built into them to automatically adjust the chassis to conditions during the run? Just sayin'.
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Rubber crank comment - 06/18/12 04:29 PM

Can't beat Summit? Mayby that is why they call here 3 to 4 times a week to pricematch us.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Rubber crank comment - 06/18/12 04:56 PM

Quote:

Don't say Jason don't care about the fans.I was at the detroit autorama and Jason was in the summit booth talking to the fans forever and I don't no how anyone could take all the stories he has to listen about my 72 chevelle that has a crate motor and runs high 14s and what shifter he should use and on and on and on.He was polite to each and everyone and had words for everyone!

so your saying he was being paid to talk to people and did his job well?
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Rubber crank comment - 06/18/12 11:39 PM

Quote:

Along those same lines, isn't Line & Anderson the ones who had those illegal shocks a few years back? You know, the ones that were $10K apiece, and had computer logic built into them to automatically adjust the chassis to conditions during the run? Just sayin'.

They weren't illegal at that time, but they were outlawed to keep costs from running away.

IIRC, WJ was the one who bytched about the cost.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Rubber crank comment - 06/19/12 12:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

They weren't illegal at that time, but they were outlawed to keep costs from running away.

IIRC, WJ was the one who bytched about the cost.

I get a kick out of the sanctioning bodies saying that the rules are made to "hold the costs down".. The local dirt tracks pull this quite often. At the end of the day,,the racer with the most money will usually win. As far as the Pro Stock class goes, I don't think that the 'top' teams give any consideration what so ever to the cost of going fast and being at the top.
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: Rubber crank comment - 06/19/12 02:10 PM

Keep this in perspective. You dont get called a cheater when you lose all the time. My mother got all upset cause I got called a cheater at a local track. I had to remind her take it as a compliment that we were doing well enough that someone thought the only way we could be doin that well was to be cheating. Go AJ!
Posted By: 68shifter

Origin of the comment - 06/20/12 02:08 AM

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/21518-johnson-line-keep-fueling-pro-stock-rivalry

Explains the comment and rivalry
Posted By: Maximus_Wedges

Re: Origin of the comment - 06/20/12 12:24 PM

Rubber Cranks?? It would be Fun to se the look on Jason's face if A.J.
started to rant and say Jason was building "PAPER" engines.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Origin of the comment - 06/20/12 12:51 PM

Quote:

Rubber Cranks?? It would be Fun to se the look on Jason's face if A.J.
started to rant and say Jason was building "PAPER" engines.

You should see how well my truck stops with wooden brakes!
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Origin of the comment - 06/20/12 01:33 PM

A couple of my friends were at the E-Town race. AJ and the Summit crew had them going back and forth between pits, hurling mock insults like a messenger service.

They all laughed the rears off.
Posted By: MAXEDWEDGE

Re: Origin of the comment - 06/20/12 04:32 PM

so back to the original question "rubber crank"

Re: Origin of the comment - 06/20/12 04:34 PM

Quote:

so back to the original question "rubber crank"

The link to the article Jason explains that he has always heard Mopars being called rubber cranks
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Rubber crank comment - 06/20/12 06:54 PM

Quote:

Keep this in perspective. You dont get called a cheater when you lose all the time. My mother got all upset cause I got called a cheater at a local track. I had to remind her take it as a compliment that we were doing well enough that someone thought the only way we could be doin that well was to be cheating. Go AJ!

Agreed

Posted By: onig

Re: Origin of the comment - 06/20/12 07:33 PM

Well, I'm 53 and since I been in the trade those GM folks were calling Mopars rubber cranks and square cranks all the time. Have no idea what it all means, always referring to the Mopars as junk. Old-timer comments for sure, even back in the day.

onig

Re: Origin of the comment - 06/20/12 07:45 PM

Quote:

Well, I'm 53 and since I been in the trade those GM folks were calling Mopars rubber cranks and square cranks all the time. Have no idea what it all means, always referring to the Mopars as junk. Old-timer comments for sure, even back in the day.

onig

Well I'm 55 and been in this trade all my life and have never heard that before.
Posted By: Red440

Re: Rubber crank comment - 06/20/12 07:50 PM

Quote:

Yup, just remember no one likes a winner.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Rubber crank comment - 06/20/12 08:24 PM

You know, I'm 60, been doing this since 1969; and have never heard that reference to Mopar engines before. This sounds like some guys trying to come up with a schtick to create some interest.....

Re: Rubber crank comment - 06/20/12 08:38 PM

Well it must be working cause this thread is in its second page now
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Rubber crank comment - 06/20/12 10:47 PM

Well lets send it on to the third page, i'll go on with the old guys , 64 and have been around mopars for fifty years and never heard of the term rubber cranks. Line and Anderson are ick heads.

Posted By: GoDartGo

Re: Rubber crank comment - 06/21/12 01:27 AM

Quote:

Line and Anderson are ick heads.

I'm 56 and I thought this was VERY funny!
© 2024 Moparts Forums