Moparts

Mopar Action article 9 1/4

Posted By: MattW

Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/06/12 02:45 PM

Does anyone have the June 2012 mag about the 9 1/4 buildup and if so what was said?

Any groung breaking info? Thanks Matt
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/06/12 03:19 PM

Quote:

Does anyone have the June 2012 mag about the 9 1/4 buildup and if so what was said?

Any groung breaking info? Thanks Matt

Looking for the same thing
Posted By: turboplymouth

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/06/12 03:34 PM

They put some special c-clip Eliminator bearing in it which required a retube with special housing ends. Used a trutrac diff. Apparently you can use 8.75/Dana adjustable bearings with custom tubes also.

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/06/12 11:12 PM

Quote:

They put some special c-clip Eliminator bearing in it which required a retube with special housing ends. Used a trutrac diff. Apparently you can use 8.75/Dana adjustable bearings with custom tubes also.

I was thinking of cutting the ends an using a sealed Bearing BR20 with the appropriate housing ends.
Wonder why the retube it.

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/07/12 02:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I was thinking of cutting the ends an using a sealed Bearing BR20 with the appropriate housing ends.

I've been running my 9 1/4 for about 5 years now with no problems ( mid 11 second car ). Heard all the "C" clip horror stories - and maybe some are true . Obviously thats a drawback to using that diff ( along with the fact that they don't make a spool for it ). Otherwise, it's a very strong diff and would easily handle a 10 second car IMO. Just seems to me that the cost to have it modified for bearing retained axles would be more than just switching to a Dana or a Ford 9"? I'm in the process of updating my drive shaft to use 1350 joints ( replacing the existing 7260 joints - which have also been trouble free for 5 years )and gotta make a diff decision.
Posted By: Montclaire

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/07/12 03:22 PM

I believe a spool is in the works.

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/07/12 03:31 PM

Quote:

I believe a spool is in the works.

From who? Also don't think anyone is making a 9 1/4 diff yoke that will accept a 1350 U-joint ( just got a "no" reply from "Moser" ).
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/07/12 03:56 PM

Sounds like you're dealing with the wrong company.

Forged steel 1350 U-bolt yoke kit $70

Custom 31 spline axles $385 pair assembled

Billet housing ends $70 pair

Crush sleeve eliminator kit $25

Please E-mail for more information doctordiff@gmail.com

Thanks,

Cass

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/07/12 04:45 PM

Quote:

Thanks,

Cass

I guess so. E-mail heading your way.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/07/12 05:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks,

Cass

How bout a spool?
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/07/12 05:35 PM

Lots of 11 second 4,000 lb Dakota's running a stock 9 1/4 axle. even a handful of 10 second trucks with the factory axle. Moser shafts are only a few hundred bucks.

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/07/12 07:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I've been running my 9 1/4 for about 5 years now with no problems ( mid 11 second car ). Heard all the "C" clip horror stories - and maybe some are true . Obviously thats a drawback to using that diff ( along with the fact that they don't make a spool for it ). Otherwise, it's a very strong diff and would easily handle a 10 second car IMO. Just seems to me that the cost to have it modified for bearing retained axles would be more than just switching to a Dana or a Ford 9"? I'm in the process of updating my drive shaft to use 1350 joints ( replacing the existing 7260 joints - which have also been trouble free for 5 years )and gotta make a diff decision.

I like the 9 1/4 rear plenty out there but do not know if it is worth the hassle.
Seems like Cass has some good info.

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/07/12 11:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I like the 9 1/4 rear plenty out there but do not know if it is worth the hassle.
Seems like Cass has some good info.

Just bought a 1350 u-joint size 9 1/4" pinion yoke from him to upgrade my driveshaft. I'm might by the upgraded "C" clip axles from him also. Wish they made a spool for it. I'm presently running a detroit locker in mine - and I don't like it much. Car does "odd" burnouts at times - like both sides aren't locked in. Car launches ok though ( both sides locked ). The locker is new and I had it checked out - it's in good working order. I also have a spicer clutch style sure grip that I had rebuilt extra tight. I might put that back in.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/08/12 12:24 AM

A spool would really make this a good unit,very common and inexpensive. My friend ran one for years in his bracket Stude (SBM powered) with good results. Recently put a Dana in it but would have stayed with the 9 1/4 if a spool was available.

Attached picture 7196382-hoodspring235.jpg
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/08/12 12:36 AM

A spool and some pro gears would make that thing a pretty nice unit and cheaper than a 9" and lighter than a Dana.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/08/12 06:44 AM

No one carries an off-the-shelf 9.25" spool.

Supposedly, Summers Bros will make a custom spool for $500-$600, however.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/08/12 01:16 PM

Quote:

Or in a pinch if the posi unit is built like the one I had in a Dana years ago, (two halves, bolts together, friction plates) you can figure out just how thick an extra shim it takes to in effect, lock it up. In the case of the Dana, it took one cut up 3lb coffee can lid!
Posted By: dragram440

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/08/12 02:01 PM

I ran one weleded in a 4000 lb truck for years, It ran 11.50's with a big block on a 150 shot. Still have it sitting out back!

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/08/12 04:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Or in a pinch if the posi unit is built like the one I had in a Dana years ago, (two halves, bolts together, friction plates) you can figure out just how thick an extra shim it takes to in effect, lock it up. In the case of the Dana, it took one cut up 3lb coffee can lid!

why not just weld the spiders together?

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/08/12 05:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

why not just weld the spiders together?

That has crossed my mind. Just a little "wossed out" to try it.

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/08/12 07:54 PM

I took the top and bottom gears right out and welded the side gears to the carrier. The problem is they are a c-clip axle so if you ever have one break you are pretty much screwed!

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/08/12 09:10 PM

Quote:

I took the top and bottom gears right out and welded the side gears to the carrier. The problem is they are a c-clip axle so if you ever have one break you are pretty much screwed!

that's what disc brakes are for!

Re: Mopar Action article 9 1/4 - 05/08/12 09:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

that's what disc brakes are for!

I always overlook the obvious! I will just have to put a disc brake setup on the truck and I wont have to worry about it anymore.
The factory axles are pretty big. Has anyone seen a broken one?
© 2024 Moparts Forums