Moparts

Quick release steering wheel, Jegs #60724

Posted By: 1974 474 Duster

Quick release steering wheel, Jegs #60724 - 04/18/12 12:43 AM

Hello guys in the past I saw pics of a quick release steering wheel hub by Jegs part #60724. Cant remember the specifics on how it was installed. Attached is the pic put up here on Moparts. If you can help me out that would be greatly appreiciated!!!! Thanks so much, Ken Michalik

Attached picture 7169142-quickrelease1.jpg
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Quick release steering wheel, Jegs #60724 - 04/18/12 12:56 AM

i bipassed all that welding and cutting in a post about 4 months ago.i will try to find it.
here it is.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=2&vc=1
Posted By: 1974 474 Duster

Re: Quick release steering wheel, Jegs #60724 - 04/18/12 11:40 AM

Cool thanks so much!!! See ya, Ken
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Quick release steering wheel, Jegs #60724 - 04/18/12 02:17 PM

According to the NHRA rule book, the quick release adapter MUST be welded to the shaft not bolted.

Quote:

3:3 STEERING
Each car’s steering system must be secure and free of defects. All butt-welded parts must have additional visible reinforcement. Only conventional automotive steering systems are permitted; flexible steering shafts prohibited. Rear-wheel steering prohibited, unless vehicle was originally manufactured with an OEM system. An OEM system may not be modified, altered, or used in any manner inconsistent with manufacturer’s specifications. All rod ends must be a minimum of 3/8-inch shank diameter and must be installed with flat washers of sufficient outside diameter to prevent bearing pullout. All steering boxes, sectors, and shafts must be mounted to the frame or suitable crossmember and cannot be mounted in any case to the bellhousing and/or bellhousing adapter shield, or motor plate. A secondary steering shaft stop must be installed to prevent long steering shaft from injuring driver in case of frontal impact (i.e., collar or U-joint pinned at crossmember, bracket, etc.). Commercially available quick- disconnect steering wheels permitted (except as noted in Class Requirements). Adapter must be welded to shaft. All fasteners must be of a positive nature; no roll or pressed pins, no ball-lock pins, set screws, etc. NHRA-accepted swing-away steering column permitted with removable steering wheel.

Re: Quick release steering wheel, Jegs #60724 - 04/18/12 02:44 PM

the track tech would have the final say but i am just saying mine is held on by the factory bolts just like the plain steering wheel.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Quick release steering wheel, Jegs #60724 - 04/18/12 04:38 PM

Well here is the one that Summit used to sell. We used it on the Valiant. They were designed to just be bolted onto the stock columns with stock hardware.

Re: Quick release steering wheel, Jegs #60724 - 04/18/12 05:20 PM

Quote:

Well here is the one that Summit used to sell. We used it on the Valiant. They were designed to just be bolted onto the stock columns with stock hardware.

according to the rule that is not allowed.
"An OEM system may not be modified, altered, or used in any manner inconsistent with manufacturer’s specifications. "
© 2024 Moparts Forums