Moparts

"4" wide Racing???? Opinions

Posted By: 65pacecar

"4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/15/12 03:55 AM

Do you like the 4 wide racing the NHRA is doing this weekend. I think this is the third year for it.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/15/12 05:21 AM

here's my opinion, it's stupid, period.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/15/12 05:41 AM

it's hard enough to see everything that is happening when you are watching just two cars.
4 wide was great to watch back in the day when the SS or a/fx cars turned 9 and 10 second ET's. sometimes you coukld see the last guy making up ground and closing in for a possible win.ain't no way now unless you watch the video and replays
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/15/12 05:51 AM

Just for the record, this is Bruton's idea. What Bruton wants, Bruton gets.
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/15/12 06:28 AM

I think it's cool..once a year, but I'm watching on TV with the benefit of multiple replays, don't think it would be as much fun live.

I vote we keep Bruton happy!

Attached picture 7165322-100_0158.JPG
Posted By: PlumCrazyCharger

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/15/12 12:56 PM

Stupid, it's like a circus. After watching qualifying last light they were lucky to get two cars down the track without smoking the tires. It's all about lane choice for 2 guys. The other two lanes are crap.

If I was a sponsor I would be pissed. You can't even tell whose racing with the 4 lane. Those stupid slow motion replays suck to!
Posted By: tboomer

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/15/12 12:57 PM

I don't care for it...
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/15/12 01:21 PM

Quote:

Stupid, it's like a circus. After watching qualifying last light they were lucky to get two cars down the track without smoking the tires. It's all about lane choice for 2 guys. The other two lanes are crap.

If I was a sponsor I would be pissed. You can't even tell whose racing with the 4 lane. Those stupid slow motion replays suck to!

wholeheartedly. It's a gimmic mainly designed to attract "average" people who get their entertainment from "sensory overload". The louder, flashier, more action-packed activity there is, the more they like it. The "oooohhh" and "aaaahhhh" factor is more important than the actual competition, skill, art and science required to drive and make the vehicles perform the way they do.

From what I remember reading about it when it was first brought up, many, if not most drivers were against it. But the overall pressure fom sponsors, Bruton, etc. has a strong influence. I hope that there was a "compromise" limiting 4-wide to this one track.

There are a lot of people who attend these races and do appreciate what goes into it. But the "bottom line" is just that - the "bottom line". It's what puts more people in the stands. That's "business".

I got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning - can ya tell?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/15/12 02:32 PM

I can't take the poll because you omitted a choice ... I don't love it , hate it , nor do I care , I just think it's stupid ...
Posted By: Leigh

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/15/12 02:40 PM

I think it's dumb, but I CAN see how 4 top fuel or funny cars all launching at once would be a sensory overload live. TV, I don't like it. If I were a sponsor, why would I want my branding air time halved?
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/15/12 03:07 PM

I am there because the wife wanted to see it. It is a fantastic facility but we won't be back for four wide. Nine times out ten only one or two cars made a clean pass. I have never seen so many cars either spin hard or shake the tires. Lots of ps cars left nasty chatter marks and then let off. I was told by a ps driver that there is a hump in the track that their wheelie bars drag over and unload the tires.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/15/12 03:52 PM

Quote:

I am there because the wife wanted to see it. It is a fantastic facility but we won't be back for four wide. Nine times out ten only one or two cars made a clean pass. I have never seen so many cars either spin hard or shake the tires. Lots of ps cars left nasty chatter marks and then let off. I was told by a ps driver that there is a hump in the track that their wheelie bars drag over and unload the tires.

I ran there two years ago and watched Bob Reed skate off into the rail at 1000" like he was on glass. I walked the entire track before I would consider making a run. There was no rubber anywhere to be found. At Atco my shoes pull off from sticky surface at the finish line. At Zmax they didn't even stick at the line.Went back for a special NASCAR night the following yearf and it was no better.
Posted By: SLOW67

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/15/12 04:05 PM

Quote:

I ran there two years ago and watched Bob Reed skate off into the rail at 1000" like he was on glass. I walked the entire track before I would consider making a run. There was no rubber anywhere to be found. At Atco my shoes pull off from sticky surface at the finish line. At Zmax they didn't even stick at the line.Went back for a special NASCAR night the following yearf and it was no better.

Everyone I have talked to around here that has ran at Zmax says the same thing. I live about 10 miles from there and have yet to bother to go
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/15/12 05:49 PM

Quote:

it's hard enough to see everything that is happening when you are watching just two cars.
4 wide was great to watch back in the day when the SS or a/fx cars turned 9 and 10 second ET's. sometimes you coukld see the last guy making up ground and closing in for a possible win.ain't no way now unless you watch the video and replays

Way too much going on to try and watch 4 cars at one time.
Posted By: 540dust

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/15/12 06:05 PM

Don't like it at all.
Posted By: 74-440Charger

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/15/12 06:18 PM

This is the only race I miss all year, I refuse to watch! Wish all would boycot, then Bruton would want something else.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/15/12 07:25 PM

I don't care to watch it hard to keep up with four cars in less than seven seconds.

Although I have thought a big $$$ bracket race or index race would be neat four wide. This way it would almost be impossible to be a top end wizard you actually have to have your stuff together, running what you are supposed to run and staying with the tree.

Leon
Posted By: 340B5

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/15/12 07:59 PM

Less time racing and more for J Force interviews, trailer inspections, and other silly stuff.

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/15/12 08:06 PM

I took a peek at the race on dragracecentral.com -
Just in Pro Stock drivers are getting timed-out and reaction times seem uncharacteristically all over the place!
That's not racing and something that I hope even the casual fans will realize.
Posted By: gofish

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/15/12 08:34 PM

That is the biggest reason i don't like, it, drivers having a hard time keeping up with the tree. This race shouldn't even count for points.

Danny
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/16/12 01:09 AM

The track seemed much better today but the confusion was worse. Redlights, timeouts youname it, it happened. Even the score board and the announcers got confused in the ps final. The fans were not happy with that. One of the drivers said it was a total cluster- out there. Bet that wasn't on espn.
Posted By: hemiparts

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/16/12 02:11 AM

Although I have thought a big $$$ bracket race or index race would be neat four wide. This way it would almost be impossible to be a top end wizard you actually have to have your stuff together, running what you are supposed to run and staying with the tree.

Leon

i agree a 4 wide bracket race would make you race your car because you can only see the other lane not over the center wall, if you wanted to play games you would have no idea what the other 2 lanes are doing.
Posted By: wesw

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/16/12 02:11 AM

four joke wide. what a waste of time and money.
Posted By: hemiparts

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/16/12 02:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Everyone I have talked to around here that has ran at Zmax says the same thing. I live about 10 miles from there and have yet to bother to go

When Fred and i were there 2 years ago it was BAD !! but they have now started running a weekly bracket / t-n-t race to try to keep the track rubbered up and ready to race. and so far all the folks i know that have been have been happy with the hook and are running the best ###'s of any track that they run at.
Posted By: 383man

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/16/12 02:37 AM

I dont like it either. I can see the 4 lanes for time trails but thats it. Ron
Posted By: moparacer

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/16/12 03:25 AM

Quote:

That is the biggest reason i don't like, it, drivers having a hard time keeping up with the tree. This race shouldn't even count for points.

Danny

These pro drivers having trouble with the tree are a joke.

For god sakes, 4 Os with a bar through them and guess what. The tree is coming on....

And these guys claiming they are looking at the wrong tree? Really? Seriously?

And you would thing the PS drivers would figure out that you need to get your but in and let the "I wanna stage last" crap at home for this race....

Posted By: jamesc

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/16/12 04:08 AM

maybe they should team up with Ringling Brothers and complete the show
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/16/12 04:19 AM

Quote:

maybe they should team up with Ringling Brothers and complete the show

Bruton will try that. The crap he comes up with makes Broadway Bob look like an amateur.
Posted By: Slap Shot

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/16/12 04:35 AM

Posted By: mike s

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/16/12 07:04 AM

Only thing missing were the jet cars and the wheelie trucks.
Posted By: racer_amx

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/16/12 10:10 AM

Im not too happy about it but meh what are you gonna do

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/16/12 04:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

When Fred and i were there 2 years ago it was BAD !! but they have now started running a weekly bracket / t-n-t race to try to keep the track rubbered up and ready to race. and so far all the folks i know that have been have been happy with the hook and are running the best ###'s of any track that they run at.

Best ####'s??? Here is a reply by Michael Beard to a quote from classracer.com

"Quote:
Originally Posted by RJDUDEK
Q. That 4wide track has a 1% down hill after 1/2 way? True.or False.

What the percentage is, I don't know, but the track is visibly downhill. (look at the brown wall between the stands and the track) When it rained last year, the water ran down the track. (pretty smart, actually!)
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/16/12 05:27 PM

we don't want racing. we want results. make it 16 wide and be done with it. single elimination, no qualifying (fastest 16 from the previous race get in). heck, run a couple times a week and finish the whole season in a month. very efficient. do it.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/16/12 10:11 PM

They should do 4 wide like the old days - BRING BACK A 32 CAR FIELD, and make 'em 4 wide IN A 2 WIDE STRIP...
Posted By: dvw

Re: "4" wide Racing???? Opinions - 04/17/12 01:31 AM

We were going to visit friends in NC on this weekend so we attended. The noise is incredible from the fuel cars. Very nice facility. Did I care for the 4 wide, no. Personally I liked watching local 1/8 mile at Moorsville the last time I was down here. The NHRA deal doesn't do much for me. First time I've seen the Mopar Pro Stockers in person,UGLY. I still root for them though.
Doug
© 2024 Moparts Forums