Moparts

What size of bumpers under the upper control arms?

Posted By: GwaiiEagle

What size of bumpers under the upper control arms? - 04/13/12 02:53 AM

I never knew it could make a difference.

Does it?
Posted By: 340_Dart

Re: What size of bumpers under the upper control arms? - 04/13/12 04:31 AM

A taller upper bump stop will limit front suspension travel or "rise" of the front end...That will limit weight transfer. That being said, where can you buy taller than stock bumpers? i've got stock ones on my cars, but could use taller ones.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: What size of bumpers under the upper control arms? - 04/13/12 04:54 AM

With a little modification, the bumpers made for traction bars will work (slapper bars). You can also fabricate some spacers that will work.

Brian Dunnigan
Posted By: 383man

Re: What size of bumpers under the upper control arms? - 04/13/12 06:46 AM

I would think you could unbolt the front ones and put a few washers under them to space them up some. Ron
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: What size of bumpers under the upper control arms? - 04/13/12 10:22 AM

I have 3/8 tall on mine I need all the travel I can get.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: What size of bumpers under the upper control arms? - 04/13/12 04:01 PM

Cut 'em down for more front end travel, shim 'em or install taller ones for less travel.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: What size of bumpers under the upper control arms? - 04/13/12 10:38 PM

I welded in a nut and used a bolt to adjust front end travel. Very important on a drag car. I then put traction bar snubber and as many washers as possible on the lower control arm to answer another post about weak drag race torsion bars.

Leon
Posted By: GwaiiEagle

Re: What size of bumpers under the upper control arms? - 04/14/12 12:18 AM

The bottom is easy to see, but the top has one hole capped off. There is a bolt holding that cap on.

The the stop is farther in.

Posted By: 440Jim

Re: What size of bumpers under the upper control arms? - 04/14/12 12:51 AM

Quote:

With a little modification, the bumpers made for traction bars will work (slapper bars). You can also fabricate some spacers that will work.

Brian Dunnigan

That is what I have on my 1969 Dart. I limit travel to avoid excess wheel stand. I bought some nice traction bar bumpers and cut them to the length I wanted. Then on each track day, I put between zero and 0.437" of spacers under the bumper to set the amount of front end travel and weight transfer I need for the conditions.

A lower torque/horsepower car will want all the weight transfer they can get (short bumper), but a higher power car doesn't want to be on the bumper.
Posted By: PolyDart

Re: What size of bumpers under the upper control arms? - 04/14/12 10:08 PM

Energy Suspension has bump stops which can be cut to size:
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspension-9-9101R-Performance-Polyurethane/dp/B005BDBE6K

They work well if you're looking for something taller than stock. They also sell shorter bump stops too.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: What size of bumpers under the upper control arms? - 04/15/12 01:11 AM

Quote:

I welded in a nut and used a bolt to adjust front end travel. Very important on a drag car. I then put traction bar snubber and as many washers as possible on the lower control arm to answer another post about weak drag race torsion bars.

Leon

So you would let your car ride on the bump stops?
Posted By: Tobbe

Re: What size of bumpers under the upper control arms? - 04/15/12 04:07 PM

web page

© 2024 Moparts Forums