Moparts

A833 tricks and modifications

Posted By: mshred

A833 tricks and modifications - 04/10/12 04:47 AM

hey guys,

hopefully this hasn't been covered here before and isn't a naive question. I finally picked up a backup 23 spline box for my car, and right now both are bone stock but in great shape. I beat on my last box last year to the times in my sig with no real issues except sometimes a grinding on the 2-3 shift ( i think clutch adjustment and my technique were to blame there)

This year im planning to run high/mid 11's, and faster on spray. Besides clutch stuff, what tricks are out there to help the transmission live longer, shift better, etc.? I know there is only so much that can be done, and I know its only a 23 spline, but does anyone who has raced or still races these things have any tips or suggestions?

I still street drive mine so all out face plating/pro shifting is out of the picture until I am having trouble at higher rpms. Just looking for ways to get extra life or performance out of it if I can since they are both apart right now and getting back together for the beginning of my season
Posted By: astjp2

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/10/12 05:24 AM

There is a 307 bearing that has more balls than a standard bearing. I am curious on this topic since I have to build a tranny for my Charger...Tim
Posted By: reknapp52

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/10/12 05:26 AM

You can "slick-shift" prep the trans by removing the brass syncro rings and grinding every 2nd tooth off the syncro hub, as well as every 2nd tooth off the inside of the syncro slider. There were some magazine articles back in the 70s detailing how to do it. The car would become marginally streetable, you have to double-clutch when shifting to keep from "grinding" the gears. I used to race 4-speeds, and did a couple transmissions myself, it really did make them shift quicker/easier.

Attached picture 7158714-0608-00094.jpg
Posted By: sshemi

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/10/12 06:37 AM

Quote:

You can "slick-shift" prep the trans by removing the brass syncro rings and grinding every 2nd tooth off the syncro hub, as well as every 2nd tooth off the inside of the syncro slider. There were some magazine articles back in the 70s detailing how to do it. The car would become marginally streetable, you have to double-clutch when shifting to keep from "grinding" the gears. I used to race 4-speeds, and did a couple transmissions myself, it really did make them shift quicker/easier.

You dont have to remove the sync stop rings, take away every other tooth on them too, that way you dont have to double clutch.
Steel shiftforks should be used.
As long as you dont turn high rpms thats all that is needed.
Posted By: 10.90 Racer

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/10/12 06:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You dont have to remove the sync stop rings, take away every other tooth on them too, that way you dont have to double clutch.

I'm sure you have heard it....... but the key is in the clutch.....
Posted By: LAR_414

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/10/12 02:29 PM

Do nothing.

I shift a STOCK 833 to low 11's on slicks...and drive it a ton on the street. I power shift it at around 6,200rpm.

Attached picture 7158939-crossramsml.jpg

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/10/12 07:31 PM

I agree--in an 11-second car a bone-stock trans in good repair should work just fine. As ETs get lower and RPMs increase, you will probably want to make some changes.

Attached picture 7159299-LebaronatTexasLODRS.jpg

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 03:26 AM

Quote:

There is a 307 bearing that has more balls than a standard bearing. I am curious on this topic since I have to build a tranny for my Charger...Tim

I have heard others mention these and may just end up checking them out for one of my boxes that seemed to have quite a bit of input shaft slop

They are costly though from what I have read...about 100 bucks as opposed to the Chinese bearings at 20 bucks

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 03:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have heard the recommendation of steel forks before...im assuming that they are more bend resistant than the bronze ones?

I have also heard of the different slick shift methods, although this is a street box so a full on slick shift box would definitely not work out. I have thought about the halfway, keeping the synchro rings in. Going to be shifting this thing at around 6600-6700rpms this year, so we'll just have to see how much the box likes (or hates ) going into gear that high. Whatever I do, it needs to be able to hold up to street miles and not wear out super quickly

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 03:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure you have heard it....... but the key is in the clutch.....

yup, I think one too many times...like my original post, was looking for stuff other than clutch tuning that helps. As much as I'd love to spring for an adjustable, its out of my budget, and definitely out of the realm of street driving that I do on this thing

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 03:31 AM

Quote:

Do nothing.

I shift a STOCK 833 to low 11's on slicks...and drive it a ton on the street. I power shift it at around 6,200rpm.

Im hoping my experience will be similar to yours...and that my increased shift rpms won't change that too much
Posted By: F1Scamp

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 03:36 AM

Not to hijack this thread, but I am in a similar situation. I have 2 boxes, with 2 different shift fork setups.
Either of these better than the other?

First one:

Second one:
Posted By: 68shifter

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 03:42 AM

F1, I like the steel fork in the bottom, but see the other fork isn't. Try to find another steel if possible. Inside of that trans looks good.

When it comes to the side covers I would highly recommend sending them to Liberty for the HD modifications. They incorporate a knock in seal so you don't have to rely on the fork o-ring, install 3/8 studs on the linkage side as the factory 5/16 will beat back the edge quick causing linkage slop. Last couple I had done were 100-150 bucks pending on what I had them do.

Good luck.

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 03:49 AM

Yeah I was pretty happy with my 100 investment in that trans. Especially after I opened the original trans up to find all the gears are pitted pretty badly.

Thanks!

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 03:54 AM

Let me know if you can't find a fork I've got a few laying around. PM if you need.

If I get a chance I'll take a pic of the hd cover tomorrow.

Andre

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 04:00 AM

Quote:

Let me know if you can't find a fork I've got a few laying around. PM if you need.

If I get a chance I'll take a pic of the hd cover tomorrow.

Andre

Hey Andre,

if you could post a pic of that cover it would be great! What is the benefit of the steel forks? less prone to bending/breaking? Both of my transmissions are currently brass forks like in the first picture above

thanks!
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 04:13 AM

My experience withe the brass fork is that the shaft will sheer off of the fork at the most inopportune time.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 06:23 AM

Quote:

My experience withe the brass fork is that the shaft will sheer off of the fork at the most inopportune time.

Been there, done that Get the steel forks and cut the nubs off and use them in the early cover OP, what fluids are you suing in your boxes? If not straight ATF try that

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 12:56 PM

Cut the nubs off? The ends of the shift forks? What does that do?

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 01:17 PM

The later transmissions with the steel forks also had a "scissor" type system to hold the forks in whatever gear you were driving in. Earlier transmissions with the brass forks used spring-loaded detent balls to accomplish that. The detent-ball system was preferred for racing applications, so to use the steel forks in the detent-ball cover, the little "nubs" that engaged the "scissor" had to be cut off (I think to clear the cover). That's from memory, haven't been inside on of those since the early 80s.

Attached picture 7160214-0608-00094.jpg
Posted By: DusterW2

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 01:38 PM

Cut off the "nubs" from the steel forks to allow installation in the early ball-detent side cover.

See pic - use cut-off wheel to trim off end flush with larger shaft diameter that slides into the side cover.

Attached picture 7160228-6-15-2011833-shift-fork.jpeg
Posted By: DusterW2

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 01:40 PM

After pic -

Attached picture 7160231-6-15-2011A833-fork.jpeg
Posted By: Stanton

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 03:05 PM

Here's what you want to do ...

use the steel forks - the brass one's have a tendency to snap off at the shaft. Since the steel forks only came on the slider style side covers they are made with an additional smaller shaft on the ends - you just cut those off.

on the detents you want to round off the sharp edge off on both sides of the neutral position and do the same on the leading edge on the 1, 2, 3 and 4. This is so the detent ball will slide more easily when you shift. DO NOT grind the edge where the ball stops!

The thing will shift so smooth you won't believe it.

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 03:24 PM

I'll have to try that on my spare "stock" transmission. See if it truely shifts easier. Sounds like it would work.

Thanks,

Attached picture 7160387-Interiorsml.jpg
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 04:05 PM

Quote:

Do nothing.

Might seem like a real dumb question, Ive never power shifted my 833, too afraid to break stuff, so is this really how it sounds, you dont clutch at all, just back off throttle a touch and pound it into gear?

Seems like a lof of damage could happen if the syncros werent cut...

Kasey

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 04:07 PM

Quote:

Here's what you want to do ...

use the steel forks - the brass one's have a tendency to snap off at the shaft. Since the steel forks only came on the slider style side covers they are made with an additional smaller shaft on the ends - you just cut those off.

on the detents you want to round off the sharp edge off on both sides of the neutral position and do the same on the leading edge on the 1, 2, 3 and 4. This is so the detent ball will slide more easily when you shift. DO NOT grind the edge where the ball stops!

The thing will shift so smooth you won't believe it.

Stanton, Do you have any pictures of this mod, and where/what to cut grind? Im thinking of doing some mods to mine.

Kasey

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 04:36 PM

Switch feet!

Don't lift off the gas. You have to clutch it.

Having a rev limiter helps when the engine goes "no load" for a split second at WOT!

It's way too much fun seeing the shift light come on and just pushing the clutch in and stiring the stick to the next gear, while not lifting off the gas at all. HITS HARD!

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 06:01 PM

Quote:

Stanton, Do you have any pictures of this mod, and where/what to cut grind? Im thinking of doing some mods to mine.

Unfortunately no pics but here's a "rough" sketch.

Attached picture 7160673-20120411125825.GIF

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 07:25 PM

Here are a couple pics of the side cover stuff. You'll notice one fork, 3/4, says liberty on it. Look at it in the comparison as it is slightly different, used that with the faceplate setup stuff.

Hope these help.
Two stock ones, as you can see the affore mentioned nub has already been shortened on the one.

The knock in seal, they are green scotseals. You just have to be careful that the shaft doesnt tear the lip as you push them through.

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 07:38 PM

Thanks for the Pics Andre!

So what is the difference between the Liberty Steel fork and the OEM Steel fork?

BTW, I've got brass ones and so does my dad. We've never ever broken a fork....yet.

Attached picture 7160788-crossramPop.jpg

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 07:49 PM

Brass was just more "apt" to break. I have never run them just out of fear. But you and your dad run damn hard so if there still there well...I dont have a good answer.

The liberty fork has a thick flange on one side vs a shallower flange on both for the factory piece. The face plate slider is also much "bigger" in diameter than a pro shift setup so you dont have the room on the slider side like factory.

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 08:04 PM

I just sopke with Paul at liberty, and I have to say he is one of the most helpfull guys I have ever talked to. He even sent me a cell phone picture of a tool he made to push the reverse shaft out of the case to replace that pesky O ring.

80 bucks is all he charges to do that HD kit to the side cover, and he gave me a few other "pointer"

Great guy!!

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 10:26 PM

A real simple tool to push out the reverse shaft can be made as follows:

take a piece of 5/8" cold rolled rod about 12" long (the size of the small end of the reverse shaft)
measure the distance from the front of the reverse shaft to the front of the side cover opening
heat the cold rolled just short of the above length and put a 90* bend in it - allow to cool
you now have an "L" shaped "lever". Put it in the case so one end contacts the reverse shaft and the other is against the front of the side cover opening. Using it as a lever, gently tap the portion of the lever that's sticking out of the case and the reverse shaft will pop right out - they aren't in very tight, just a [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] to get out without a "tool".

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 10:29 PM

Aw c'mom, what's wrong with the word b*gger ?!?!?!?

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 11:12 PM

Liberty also told me that the Korean Hemi gear sets were just fine, they also thought that cryogenically treating them was a bonus. Tim
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/11/12 11:43 PM

The Liberty side cover mod and steel forks are a cheap and worth while modification that really doesn't affect anything else
I really think you should faceplate third and fourth gear and leave first and second alone for a street box
A good shifter and linkage is the key to clean shifts,for an H-pattern shifter get the Hurst Super Shifter III, for a V-gate go for the Long shifter and fab up your own linkage with heim joints and steel tube shift rods
Gus

Attached picture 7161086-IMG_0023-1.JPG

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/12/12 12:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Unfortunately no pics but here's a "rough" sketch.

This is a great idea! Has anyone else done anything like this before? I've never really taken a good look at the edges of those detents to see how sharp they really are

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/12/12 12:05 AM

Quote:

Here are a couple pics of the side cover stuff. You'll notice one fork, 3/4, says liberty on it. Look at it in the comparison as it is slightly different, used that with the faceplate setup stuff.

Hope these help.
Two stock ones, as you can see the affore mentioned nub has already been shortened on the one.

The knock in seal, they are green scotseals. You just have to be careful that the shaft doesnt tear the lip as you push them through.

Thanks for the pics Andre! Do you know if Liberty did the smoothing mod on your detents on the sidecover as well? The HD mods sound good, but gotta see if I can swing the cash right now. I wonder how much those liberty steel forks are- if im gonna spend money on forks, I'd rather get theirs if they are similar in price

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/12/12 12:06 AM

Quote:

I just sopke with Paul at liberty, and I have to say he is one of the most helpfull guys I have ever talked to. He even sent me a cell phone picture of a tool he made to push the reverse shaft out of the case to replace that pesky O ring.

80 bucks is all he charges to do that HD kit to the side cover, and he gave me a few other "pointer"

Great guy!!

Did he say how long it would take to send the cover and get it back? I've always been kinda leary about them since I know they say a certain time but you don't see your stuff back for months.

And what other "pointers" did he give you...care to share?

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/12/12 12:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Been there, done that Get the steel forks and cut the nubs off and use them in the early cover OP, what fluids are you suing in your boxes? If not straight ATF try that

I actually planned on using some form of gear oil this year. I used Castrol Type F ATF. I thought that I could benefit though from the extra thickness of some 75W90 weight stuff for lubrication. I figure once its warm it should perform just like the ATF

Unless there is an ATF brand that works really well? I tried synchromesh last year and my trans grinded on every shift with it, even at lower speeds.

This thread really blew up! I like it! Hopefully there are some more tricks that come out of the woodwork

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/12/12 12:19 AM

I REALLY don't think ATF is a good lube for any 833 being used for anything but mild street use
If you need something lighter for cold weather use just get some straight 30 wt. motor oil and mix it 50-50 with 75-90 gear oil.
Gus

Attached picture 7161123-mysavoy.jpg

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/12/12 12:21 AM

Quote:

I REALLY don't think ATF is a good lube for any 833 being used for anything but mild street use
If you need something lighter for cold weather use just get some straight 30 wt. motor oil and mix it 50-50 with 75-90 gear oil.
Gus

Some say ATF is better, others say gear oil lol...I wasn't running the ATF because of climate- its warm enough here in the summer to run gear oil, and even if it takes longer to warm up, I don't mind. I tried the ATF and feel like if I go to the gear oil it just might be a little better for lubrication...mind you, there are quite a few threads on here with this debate, seems like either or works for people, just a matter which one someone wants to use
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/12/12 01:34 AM

As far as fluid, I have had excellent luck mixing 1 qt of ATF and fill the rest with 80w90 gear oil. It seems to be a good compromise. You can always fine tune the ratio for your liking though. I have tried straight runs of both and they both had shifting issues. So i just combined them.

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/12/12 01:43 AM

I have had enough of these trannys apart to know what to use and what not to use.I have seen cluster pins and gears galled and flaked from ATF but gear oil filled transmissions always look better inside
Gus

Attached picture 7161226-savoyburnout.jpg
Posted By: 10.90 Racer

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/12/12 02:22 AM

Quote:

The Liberty side cover mod and steel forks are a cheap and worth while modification that really doesn't affect anything else
I really think you should faceplate third and fourth gear and leave first and second alone for a street box
A good shifter and linkage is the key to clean shifts,for an H-pattern shifter get the Hurst Super Shifter III, for a V-gate go for the Long shifter and fab up your own linkage with heim joints and steel tube shift rods
Gus

I have Gus's old long shifter and modified cover for sale............

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/12/12 03:21 AM

Quote:

This thread really blew up! I like it! Hopefully there are some more tricks that come out of the woodwork

Unfortunately, short of building a crashbox there aren't a whole lot of mods to improve the box other than what's been posted about the forks, detent mods and shift rods.

And as much as I'd like to take credit for the detent mods, the old Chrysler boys were doing that way back in the '60's and it was published in a race bulletin.

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/12/12 08:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Gus

I have Gus's old long shifter and modified cover for sale............

Pics???
Posted By: 446acuda

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/12/12 12:55 PM

Quote:

hey guys,

hopefully this hasn't been covered here before and isn't a naive question. I finally picked up a backup 23 spline box for my car, and right now both are bone stock but in great shape. I beat on my last box last year to the times in my sig with no real issues except sometimes a grinding on the 2-3 shift ( i think clutch adjustment and my technique were to blame there)

This year im planning to run high/mid 11's, and faster on spray. Besides clutch stuff, what tricks are out there to help the transmission live longer, shift better, etc.? I know there is only so much that can be done, and I know its only a 23 spline, but does anyone who has raced or still races these things have any tips or suggestions?

I still street drive mine so all out face plating/pro shifting is out of the picture until I am having trouble at higher rpms. Just looking for ways to get extra life or performance out of it if I can since they are both apart right now and getting back together for the beginning of my season

Did you check the air gap between the flywheel and the disc with the clutch pedal pushed to the floor? If you don't have enough gap then it will be tough power shift. Gap is slightly different for different pressure plate styles but .050" is a good number to shoot for. Some A-body pedals like the ones used in 340/360 cars have a diffent pedal with a longer lever that move the bellcrank slightly more for more air gap so using a 318 or /6 combined with high pressure plate loads may deflect the linkage just enough to not allow enough release for a good power shift. Also way too much air gap will cause problems too. Bottom line of all this mumbo jumbo is check the air gap and correct it if needed.

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/12/12 01:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

hey guys,

Did you check the air gap between the flywheel and the disc with the clutch pedal pushed to the floor? If you don't have enough gap then it will be tough power shift. Gap is slightly different for different pressure plate styles but .050" is a good number to shoot for. Some A-body pedals like the ones used in 340/360 cars have a diffent pedal with a longer lever that move the bellcrank slightly more for more air gap so using a 318 or /6 combined with high pressure plate loads may deflect the linkage just enough to not allow enough release for a good power shift. Also way too much air gap will cause problems too. Bottom line of all this mumbo jumbo is check the air gap and correct it if needed.

I accually changed my ratio off a tech article in mopar muscle. I also made all the z bar linkage with tubes and heim joints, thats been covered on here before. As for the other pointers, it was basic tear down, inspection, and tech stuff like that. He told me about what they accually do to the side covers, and that kind of thing. Just give him a call, he is a very cool giy to shoot the breeze with.

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/12/12 06:12 PM

Does going with the newer style syncro's provide any added benefit?

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/12/12 06:47 PM

astjp2 - In the other thread you mentioned to cryo gearsets. That bottom cluster thats broke is one of the Taiwan units. It has been cryo'd and mikronited. I have/had 2 complete 18 splines faceplated with everything internal cryo'd and mikronited. Pushing the limits of what the trans can handle it doesnt help, but for added life and dcereased friction it is beneficial but cost vs benefit?

Here are some old things I have from Liberty...kinda neat

Posted By: 446acuda

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/12/12 07:05 PM

Quote:

The new style blocker rings are less likely to crack since there is no sharp corner for a crack to start like the old style has and the syncro struts in the new style synchros hold up better.

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/12/12 07:42 PM

Ok so Passon list the NOS newer Syncro's for 249.00, Brewers has what I assume is aftermarket ones for 169.00 and Zumbrota has them for 192.00. Is it worth getting the NOS ones?

Quote:

Quote:

The new style blocker rings are less likely to crack since there is no sharp corner for a crack to start like the old style has and the syncro struts in the new style synchros hold up better.

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/14/12 01:44 AM

I tore down an A-body tranny that I had laying around, syncro's looked good so I am going to use them. Are all the 1st gears the same? The steel shift forks were pretty worn but the brass ones I have looked like new. One slider had some chipped teeth so I swapped it with one with just a little wear. Now I just need to get a B-body non trunion main shaft. Tim

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/14/12 02:01 AM

Passon has main shafts, used and I believe new. If you dont see any listed on his site give him a call he has alot of stuff laying around. Probably the same for brewers as well. Good luck.

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/14/12 03:01 AM

Quote:

I tore down an A-body tranny that I had laying around, syncro's looked good so I am going to use them. Are all the 1st gears the same? The steel shift forks were pretty worn but the brass ones I have looked like new. One slider had some chipped teeth so I swapped it with one with just a little wear. Now I just need to get a B-body non trunion main shaft. Tim

I just sent Jamie a perfect B/E-body mainshaft in trade for some other parts so I know he has at least one
Gus

Attached picture 7164070-mysavoy.jpg

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/14/12 05:09 PM

I was hoping Wayne or Jamie would provide some input on this, I am going to convert an A-body overdrive into a B-body, I only need a few hundred in parts and then I will use it as my cruising tranny until I can afford Jamie's overdive or an 18 spline. I sure hope it will hold up behind a 572 hemi in a B-body....Tim

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/14/12 06:15 PM

Quote:

I was hoping Wayne or Jamie would provide some input on this, I am going to convert an A-body overdrive into a B-body, I only need a few hundred in parts and then I will use it as my cruising tranny until I can afford Jamie's overdive or an 18 spline. I sure hope it will hold up behind a 572 hemi in a B-body....Tim

Sure as long you plug the main jets and only ise the idle system
Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/14/12 07:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I just sent Jamie a perfect B/E-body mainshaft in trade for some other parts so I know he has at least one
Gus

Gus, what weight/type gear lube do you recommend?

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/14/12 10:50 PM

did the detent mod that stanton posted last night to two different covers. Did one at a time to compare, and yes, there is a difference even just moving the detents by hand

In the process I was also able to find that pin between the two detent balls in my sidecover was missing this entire time I was running the transmission good thing I finally got this side cover apart

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/15/12 06:26 AM

Here is a good website for some 4 speed info...Tim

One thing I have not found yet is the gaps for the selective snap rings, I read the factory service manual and it says to check the countershaft for .029" endplay but nothing for the speed gears. Any answers out there?

http://skylab.org/~zetan/van/np833/

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/15/12 08:17 AM

How did you bevel the edges? File or grinder? Tim

Quote:

did the detent mod that stanton posted last night to two different covers. Did one at a time to compare, and yes, there is a difference even just moving the detents by hand

In the process I was also able to find that pin between the two detent balls in my sidecover was missing this entire time I was running the transmission good thing I finally got this side cover apart

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/15/12 02:13 PM

Quote:

How did you bevel the edges? File or grinder? Tim

Quote:

a die grinder...I would post a pic if I could, but my camera took a dump on me a while ago

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/16/12 01:44 AM

Ok, I found a NP833 from a chevy, its a low mileage one that was behind a 5.7 diesel. He wants 200.00, should I get it and rob it for syncro's and parts? Tim
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/16/12 02:10 AM

Quote:

I have had enough of these trannys apart to know what to use and what not to use.I have seen cluster pins and gears galled and flaked from ATF but gear oil filled transmissions always look better inside
Gus

Back in 1980, I worked for a Chrysler service Dept and at that time Chrysler was putting ATF in their OD manual trans. After haveing to rebuild and replace a lot of trans and parts, Chrysler sent out a service bulletin to replace all ATF fluid in manual trans with gear oil.
In my Hemi car, I ran 30 wt oil with a can of STP (when STP used to be the slippery stuff). Never broke anythign with it this way.

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/16/12 03:13 AM

So I was able to inspect the transmission I just picked up and it needs new 307 bearings front and back as the old ones are shot. I have the SKF number for the bearings, but before I order them, was curious to know if anyone has ever used a roller bearing in the ball bearings place in order to increase the load capacity? Or am I best to leave it as a ball bearing?

I don't know the number for the more high load center bearing, otherwise I would look into that one as well.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/16/12 03:28 AM

Quote:

Ok, I found a NP833 from a chevy, its a low mileage one that was behind a 5.7 diesel. He wants 200.00, should I get it and rob it for syncro's and parts? Tim

Tim:

Those are getting to be on the scarce side. You might be able to buy it and turn around and sell it for profit. Especially if it's set up for a transfer case.

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/16/12 03:38 AM

It sounds like a good idea to turn it, but I lose my a$$ on just about every deal I try to make a profit on....

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/17/12 01:52 AM

I picked up that Chevy MY-06 833, it was a friend that had it who's wife drove the truck until it was totaled at 45,000 miles. It was sitting since 84, I pulled the side cover and the gears looked perfect. I have decided to pull the OD gears out of it to put in my charger once I get the correct shafts. The gears, syncros and shift forks are perfect condition.

I will find a nonoverdrive 3.09 gear set and swap the chevy tranny over with an A-body tailshaft and main shaft to put into a Vette with a big block.....it will still be stronger than a Muncie...
Posted By: JamiePasson

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/17/12 02:10 PM

Gus,
That shaft spent exactly 12 minutes on the bench till I got all the papers burned. Then it was off to the lathe to check it. It has been in a unit out the door since the day after I got it!
Thanks though. It was a pleasure getting the shaft from you!
Jamie

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/19/12 12:42 AM

I can't wait to get my own street HEMI trans back in the car after all the slick shift,pro-shift,face-plate race boxes I have had in the car the past ten years
Glad you liked the shaft it was one of the better ones I have in stock
Gus

Attached picture 7170537-savoyburnout.jpg

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 04/25/12 05:33 AM

ok, is it possible to get shift levers that are shorter? That chebby 833 OD has shift levers that look about 1/4" shorter than my B-body ones. I need to measure to be sure, but would they make it shift faster or is there some interference issues with the shorter throw? Thanks Tim

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 09/16/12 10:18 PM

Does the Hurst competition plus use the same mount and likage as a factory mopar? I need to replace the Mr. Gasket shifter with a hurst and I have 3 A body mounts but no B body stuff. Tim
Posted By: skep419

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 01/28/19 05:32 PM

popcorn
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 01/28/19 09:01 PM

I see this post goes back a few years??? Anyway, about 2 years ago I decided to try something different with my trans. Bare in mind that my car is mostly street driven, but sees about ten races or so at the track each year. I had run stock tranny's, Pro shifted 18 splines and slick shifted tranny's without the brass syncro rings. The tranny that has been in my car now for the past 2 years or so is a slick shifted 18 spline with the brass syncro rings. The main gears for 3, 4 and 2 are slick shifted.(every other clutching tooth removed). The 1/2 slider and the 3/4 slider are also slick shifted, BUT they are a stock slider for the newer syncro assemblies ('70 and up). I am also using the detent keys and springs installed so they are on the teeth of the sliders. This way, driving on the street is normal, yet when power shifting at the track, the wider "GATE" (with the missing teeth), makes for a very fast shift without messing up the gears. Absolutly no grinding when street driven.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 01/28/19 11:46 PM

Back in the early 70's Dick Landy used to have a traveling seminar where he would ago around the country to various Dodge dealers . I went to one where he had a couple of cars displayed . The only thing I remember is about the slick shifting of the 833 4 speed as thats what I was interested in. As noted in this post early on how it was done and thats what I did . It definitely improved the shifting of the transmission but also wear on the slider and syncro teeth. When I learned about Liberty Gears had come up with the PRO SHIFTED gear set up for the 833 I sent the gears into them to have them modified. That was like night and day. With my Hurst Super shifter the full throttle shifted were made with no missed shifts. Maintenance was minimal . As I up graded to a larger stroker engine , Liberty said I was going to have a problem. Why', I had ran this transmission for years without fail behind my mild built 440 . Well, they were correct, third run BOOM!!!!!!. So not to be defeated I ordered more gears and replaced the bearings again. Third pass BOOM!!!!!!! again this time twisting off the main shaft. Rebuilt it again and sold it shifter and all. Out in a Doug Nash liberty pro shifted transmission . To my surprise , a lot of parts are the same as the 833.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 01/29/19 01:17 AM

I yousta have a problem with the trans getting hung up trying to get into 2nd. This was at 7400 rpm with the gas held on the floor, and a quick stab of the clutch. Lost few races that could have won because of it. It didn't always happen, but it did too often. I tried a lot of stuff to cure it,including all the mods, different cover, different shifters, a Hurst reverse lockout gate. The best solution was to dump the Hurst ss3 and switch to a Long H pattern shifter. The improvement from a Hurst to a Long is like the difference from an Inland to a Hurst.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 01/29/19 05:28 AM

I never had a problem with the Hurst Super Shifter. It was the original one that came out in the early 70's . Just sold it off last spring with the Pro shifted transmission. The shifter didn't come with a reverse lock out until later. It definitely was a add on deal but it worked. It came with a piece if 1/4" threaded rod and a piece of silver plastic hose for a handle. Nice touch from Hurst in those days. LOL Never had the opportunity to shift a Long shifter. I have a Vertigate now which shifts well but I'm not really fond it.
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: A833 tricks and modifications - 01/29/19 06:09 PM

I've been using the super shifter 3 forever, it seems. Did have a problem years back with hang ups going into second at full throttle. Did some "tweeking" with the shifter arm adjusters. I staggered the 3/4 arm slightly (1/8") toward third gear. Problem solved!!! Why? Don't know? But the problem going into second was cured. And, going into third was very sure and smooth.
© 2024 Moparts Forums