Moparts

Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics

Posted By: BPE

Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/08/12 02:12 AM

Thought I would post some photos of his new aluminum block debuted at the Indy show.

Rod

Attached picture 7108328-RitterXRAluminumBlock1.jpg

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block - 03/08/12 02:13 AM

Attached picture 7108332-P3020429.jpg

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block - 03/08/12 02:14 AM

Attached picture 7108333-P3020428.jpg

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block - 03/08/12 02:14 AM

Attached picture 7108334-P3020426.jpg

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block - 03/08/12 02:15 AM

Attached picture 7108338-P3020425.jpg

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block - 03/08/12 02:15 AM

Attached picture 7108339-P3020424.jpg

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block - 03/08/12 02:16 AM

Attached picture 7108341-P3020423.jpg
Posted By: 340_Dart

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block - 03/08/12 02:18 AM

Sexy Sexy!!!
Any idea of what it weighs Rod?

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block - 03/08/12 02:23 AM

I know almost nothing about this block and don't want to give out bad information. I will say you can pick it up with ease.

Rod
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block - 03/08/12 03:03 AM

Quote:

Where are the sleeves? Is this block not finished then? What timing cover do these take? Sorry for all the questions, but it looks like a pre-production sample.
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block - 03/08/12 03:04 AM

white dart, you need to get one of these and you might be as fast as that small block duster. nice looking block i might add,

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block - 03/08/12 03:09 AM

This block does not have sleeves because Kent offers them with a lot of options including various bore sizes. I believe it takes a short deck timing cover.

Rod
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block - 03/08/12 03:16 AM

wow! that is nice
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block - 03/08/12 04:26 AM

I beleive it will take either a stock or short timing cover as the water holes are shaped half moon.

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block - 03/08/12 04:32 AM

Quote:

This block does not have sleeves because Kent offers them with a lot of options including various bore sizes. I believe it takes a short deck timing cover.

Rod

Sweet...Would make a great high horsepower small block...Funny, just as I am getting out of small blocks.

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block - 03/08/12 04:41 AM

Quote:

I beleive it will take either a stock or short timing cover as the water holes are shaped half moon.

That may be the case and if so I stand corrected.

Rod
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/08/12 04:44 AM

I always thought there should be an aluminum SB block. Glad to see someone stepped up to the plate. I'd love to find out more details.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/08/12 05:05 AM

NICE.........
Posted By: mafo

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/08/12 09:32 AM

and here I just bought a new R3 block...
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/08/12 02:04 PM

Quote:

I always thought there should be an aluminum SB block. Glad to see someone stepped up to the plate. I'd love to find out more details.

I agree 100%, I'd like to know some more info as well. If Kent had a website I have to believe sales of the XR cast & aluminum blocks would increase. Does anyone know if the aluminum blocks are available?

Mike Gray

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/08/12 02:10 PM

Mike, This is the first that was cast in aluminum and as you probobly already know Kent is anti internet.

Rod
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/08/12 02:44 PM

Quote:

(snip)... as you probobly already know Kent is anti internet.

Rod

Ain't that the truth

I'm no small block guy but is this a taller deck than what they run with the p7 heads roundy-round motors (I think they are p7, the new NASCAR ones with the red valve covers) How many cubs will this support?
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/08/12 03:02 PM

Very nice
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/08/12 03:19 PM

bigcube i believe u can go p7,w7,w8,w9 or even 59deg stuff with that block + over 450ci no prob that will be my next block for sure
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/08/12 03:33 PM

Quote:

bigcube i believe u can go p7,w7,w8,w9 or even 59deg stuff with that block + over 450ci no prob that will be my next block for sure

this sure has my interest.
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/08/12 04:05 PM

Quote:

Mike, This is the first that was cast in aluminum and as you probobly already know Kent is anti internet.

Rod

I know but I think Kent needs to rethink his marketing strategy. I do commend Kent for bringing some new hardcore SBM parts to market.

I have not had any issues with R3 blocks but I have always wanted to see an aluminum LA based block. I will seriously consider the XR aluminum block for my next build if the bore capability and deck height meets my requirements. I guess a phone call to Kent is next.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/08/12 04:24 PM

The 340 resto block we used to build the 427 for Tim's road racer was 225 lbs. If the aluminum block is 100 lbs lighter, that is a nice weight savings off the front tires. I think a driver would notice a 100 lbs weight loss from the nose!
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/08/12 04:31 PM

Thanks, Rod I'll file this one in my dream favorites.Maybe some day!
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/08/12 04:32 PM

Yes, can you imagine what that does to the " entering" cornering, and less of a weight shift /nose drop upon deceleration? I hope this block is what it appears to be, a long overdue piece to help the Mopar crowd compete a little better with the Gms.

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/08/12 07:36 PM

Quote:

P5?
Posted By: jg309

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/09/12 01:50 AM

talked to kent a lot at the show, he said it take a 4.25 storke easly & a 4.50 with some work, there is a harding system that can be put in the cyclinder's & not need sleves,he said about $3800 for the block,the one in the photo is stock height, if interested give me a shout & i'll get you his #,this block is for the wedge heads & not the p7
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/09/12 04:04 AM

What size cam tunnel? Are there drains in the lifter valley? I don't see them. I agree that this is a long needed item.
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/09/12 04:15 AM

Man, I cant even imagine what it would be like to drive my car with an aluminum block up front That would put ol Bob's front end to the test!
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/09/12 11:34 AM

Quote:

What size cam tunnel? Are there drains in the lifter valley? I don't see them. I agree that this is a long needed item.

Brian, the cam tunnel is isolated from the rotating assembly with
return drain located at the rear of the block. Cam bearing bulkheads
are drilled front to rear to allow oil to flow rearward.

Cam tunnel machining preference is optional, I know at least up to 60mm.
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/09/12 02:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Brian, the cam tunnel is isolated from the rotating assembly with
return drain located at the rear of the block. Cam bearing bulkheads
are drilled front to rear to allow oil to flow rearward.

Cam tunnel machining preference is optional, I know at least up to 60mm.

Ok. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: sickhemi

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/12/12 09:49 PM

hello does anyone know when these beauty's will be ready to ship?

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/15/12 05:25 PM

just thalked to kent,cam brgs. any that chry. used,crank bore 318,302 ford,306, timing chain cover eather one,weight app. 90-100lbs. need to call him on his cell for exat price & ship date that # is 585-610-9979,BPE KENT SAID TO TELL YOU THANKS FOR THE GREAT PHOTOS & THAT YOU'VE GOT GREAT CRANKSHAFTS,later my freinds jg309

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/17/12 01:53 PM

The more I think about it, the more I would rather have one of these engines with a set of really awesome heads and say 460 cubes....over my Hemi. I am really liken the idea of a stout all alum small block with some real cubes and good flowing heads. The weight reduction alone is just awesome. Are these currently available?

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/17/12 06:55 PM

just need to call kent for avabily thats his cell # & can reach on weekends, later

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 04/01/12 06:18 PM

Quote:

just need to call kent for avabily thats his cell # & can reach on weekends, later

Called him, but it would not allow me to leave a message. I will call again today. I would like more info before I sell off my small block stuff and go either 3G or all 2G hemi...What heads would you guys use for an NA application?
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 04/01/12 06:22 PM

Last time I was at Kents was in 05. I recall he had pallets of P7 heads and only a couple of complete motors. I remember asking him how he would get rid of all the heads with no blocks to support them? His response was "you just need to make a market for them" Glad to see all the development he has done since then.
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 04/02/12 03:19 PM

Hmmmmmmmm.......

Anyone know the max bore size and if the block can be run with the "spray in" liner and without conventional sleeves???

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 04/02/12 05:48 PM

Quote:

Hmmmmmmmm.......

Anyone know the max bore size and if the block can be run with the "spray in" liner and without conventional sleeves???

I have not seen a sprayed in liner in a block, but I have seen CI sleeves cast right into aluminum blocks from the foundry....That would be interesting to know if it could be done. I thought they have to be spun to spray them...

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 04/02/12 07:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmmmmmmm.......

I have not seen a sprayed in liner in a block, but I have seen CI sleeves cast right into aluminum blocks from the foundry....That would be interesting to know if it could be done. I thought they have to be spun to spray them...

I believe Nikasil can be used sans conventional sleeve depending on the block.
Posted By: sickhemi

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 04/02/12 08:24 PM

the new ford aluminium blocks in the shelby mustangs have a sprayed plasma material in them for a bore liner and are 650 hp , they have been tested for durability for 150,000 miles

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 04/02/12 09:15 PM

Quote:

the new ford aluminium blocks in the shelby mustangs have a sprayed plasma material in them for a bore liner and are 650 hp , they have been tested for durability for 150,000 miles

Pretty sweet....
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 04/03/12 02:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Called him, but it would not allow me to leave a message. I will call again today. I would like more info before I sell off my small block stuff and go either 3G or all 2G hemi...What heads would you guys use for an NA application?

CFE W8s with jesel prostock rockers.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 04/03/12 03:33 AM

got a price for the coating it will be cheaper to sleve the block . with the coating it has to be redone with every over bore .this is not gospel because i have not done it so do your home work first
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 04/03/12 05:06 AM

Quote:

got a price for the coating it will be cheaper to sleve the block . with the coating it has to be redone with every over bore .this is not gospel because i have not done it so do your home work first

It isn't cheap.........or new.
I have had dirt bike cylinders done numerous times.
The stuff they coat with is harder than a hooker's heart ( Carbide based if I recall )and requires a diamond hone.
It likes a specific ring but is very durable.
I know what it cost five years ago for one cylinder......I don't want to think about eight.
They can build up the coating to decrease size of cylinders and save the " stock " bore. i.e. what ever size you have pistons for.
I don't think you could apply a .030 thick coating , but I've had .004 built up to use parts I had.
This is more for guys who aren't afraid to buy unobtanium parts and every gram matters........not for me.
It was the norm in F-1 years ago. I'm pretty sure they are on to bigger and better things by now.
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 04/04/12 04:26 AM

I have 4 titanium sleeves I'll sell someone lol

They are for a LMP block though, so probably no good to anyone...
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/19/14 03:51 AM

So has anyone have and used one of these blocks with success? I asked on previous aluminum small block threads but no reply. I know of one shop who is working on one, are there any others? Want to hear unbiased feedback before buying one

Thanks

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/19/14 04:07 AM

You have to check with Brett, he has a customer in Australia that has two and believe they are done.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/19/14 05:03 AM

Ok cool
Who exactly is Brett? Contact info?
I will call tomorrow

Thanks
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/19/14 06:45 AM

I never knew they actually hit the market.... especially after the iron block deal.

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/19/14 02:34 PM

Brett is a member here and has a cnc program for w8,9 series small block heads. His handle is w5dart66 on here.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/19/14 11:41 PM

Things have been pretty quiet. I wonder what ever happen to that build that was supposed start this past fall?

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/20/14 02:43 AM

Quote:

Things have been pretty quiet. I wonder what ever happen to that build that was supposed start this past fall?

I guess they haven't tried yet.
Posted By: RockChip

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/20/14 06:05 AM

Looks like the answer to all the small tire class racing, give the shevy and phord parade fits !!!!!

I have little clue to the sbm stuff.... Any capable heads out there?!

Re: Ritter XR Aluminum Block Pics - 03/20/14 08:38 PM

Quote:

Looks like the answer to all the small tire class racing, give the shevy and phord parade fits !!!!!

I have little clue to the sbm stuff.... Any capable heads out there?!

The W8 in the right hands can run with just about any conventional straight head offered, even though the basic casting is a dinosaur by GM and Ford standards.

The P7 is equivalent to the SB 2 and the P5 is about as good as it gets.

The problem is.....there is an absence of new raw castings and blocks (AS USUAL!!!), plus the fact that the brand x small blocks already have 4.500 and 4.600 bore space blocks and cylinder heads for extreme builds.
© 2024 Moparts Forums