Moparts

Did NHRA drop the ball with the new Snell requirement?

Posted By: fig426

Did NHRA drop the ball with the new Snell requirement? - 03/07/12 12:54 AM

I'm looking for a new helmet, because my M2005 is now expired. I use my helmet for racing and also for my street bike. So in my Journey of helmet shopping, I end up on the Snell web site. And in reference to the M2010 standard, it says that the standard has been adopted for the European market because they use a standard other than Snell. This is a direct quote from Snell. ..
'
"For street riders in North America, the differences between M2010 and M2005 should be of little significance. M2010 does not exceed M2005 but it does demand comparable protection. But for street riders in Europe, M2010 may make a considerable difference.

For the first time in years, they may be able to choose helmets which satisfy all the local regulations and provide a premium of protective capability over and above local requirements. Helmets certified to the M2010 standard and ECE 22-05 will provide protection comparable to M2005 and will qualify for sale and use in the UK and Europe."
So why are we forced to buy a new rated helmet here in the states that is equivelant to M2005? Just my
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Did NHRA drop the ball with the new Snell requirement? - 03/07/12 12:56 AM

From my home track...
ATTENTION RACERS: 2012 NHRA RULES UPDATES

The NHRA has published their rules revisions and updates for the 2012 season. All updates are available online at nhraracer.com. Please refer to nhraracer.com or the NHRA Rulebook for a complete listing as well as the details.

Rules of most significance note for sportsman racers include but not limited to;

1. SNELL 2000 helmets are NOW EXPIRED. Racers 13.99 (8.59 - 1/8 mile) and quicker and motorcycle/sled/ATV and Junior Dragster competitors must have a current SNELL or SFI approved helmets. The most common are SNELL, and the 2005 dated helmets are good until 1/1/2017 and 2010 dates helmets are good until 1/1/2022.

2. Super Street competitors must now have a lower engine oil containment device. A belly pan may be used in lieu of a "diaper".

3. Advanced E.T. racers 6.00 - 7.49 ET (3.66-4.49 ET - 1/8 mile) must have a head and neck support device that is dated within 5 years.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Did NHRA drop the ball with the new Snell requirement? - 03/07/12 12:58 AM

DUH....NHRA!!

Re: Did NHRA drop the ball with the new Snell requirement? - 03/07/12 01:09 AM

Quote:

From my home track...
ATTENTION RACERS: 2012 NHRA RULES UPDATES

The NHRA has published their rules revisions and updates for the 2012 season. All updates are available online at nhraracer.com. Please refer to nhraracer.com or the NHRA Rulebook for a complete listing as well as the details.

Rules of most significance note for sportsman racers include but not limited to;

1. SNELL 2000 helmets are NOW EXPIRED. Racers 13.99 (8.59 - 1/8 mile) and quicker and motorcycle/sled/ATV and Junior Dragster competitors must have a current SNELL or SFI approved helmets. The most common are SNELL, and the 2005 dated helmets are good until 1/1/2017 and 2010 dates helmets are good until 1/1/2022.

2. Super Street competitors must now have a lower engine oil containment device. A belly pan may be used in lieu of a "diaper".

3. Advanced E.T. racers 6.00 - 7.49 ET (3.66-4.49 ET - 1/8 mile) must have a head and neck support device that is dated within 5 years.

Ok my mistake. I was told at my track in the fall that my 2005 will expire at the end of 2011. So I'm good until 2017 I guess.
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Did NHRA drop the ball with the new Snell requirement? - 03/07/12 02:24 AM

Quote:

Ok my mistake. I was told at my track in the fall that my 2005 will expire at the end of 2011. So I'm good until 2017 I guess.

Yes! your 2005 Helmet is accepted until 2017,

or until it is hit with a large force! LOL
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Did NHRA drop the ball with the new Snell requirement? - 03/07/12 02:34 AM

Just to muddy the waters or clarify them....
Are you racing a bike?
I was under the impression that an M(otorcycle) helmet is not good for a car.

Re: Did NHRA drop the ball with the new Snell requirement? - 03/07/12 02:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes! your 2005 Helmet is accepted until 2017,

or until it is hit with a large force! LOL

Preferably 2017,,, but then again maybe that would knock some sense into me. lol ...... and I'm racing a car and sometimes the bike on street nights.
Posted By: cgall

Re: Did NHRA drop the ball with the new Snell requirement? - 03/07/12 02:53 AM

Hi Fig, I was going to make a post on this, but I'll just hijack yours instead. Below are a 2000 and 2010 G-Force Procomp, one of the cheaper legal helmets out there. They are dimensionally the same, the main differences are the styling and the strap and interior upholstery of the 2010 are made of fire-resistant materials.

That said, I will testify today that the new helmet is TIGHT! Same size and manufacturer, It is a squeeze to wear the new one.

I think I will go thru tech with the new one and wear my old one during racing.

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Did NHRA drop the ball with the new Snell requirement? - 03/07/12 05:37 AM

Quote:

Are you racing a bike?

your underthe wrong impression M2005 are accepted in most catagorys, check the local track reqirements
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Did NHRA drop the ball with the new Snell requirement? - 03/07/12 03:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Are you racing a bike?

your under the wrong impression M2005 are accepted in most catagorys, check the local track reqirements

Thanks Cab for the clarification!
Posted By: PARTSMAN440

Re: Did NHRA drop the ball with the new Snell requirement? - 03/07/12 04:05 PM

So Ted, from what I get from your post is Cedar Falls going to let us bracket racers race without a diaper. More info please.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Did NHRA drop the ball with the new Snell requirement? - 03/07/12 05:14 PM

cgall, if you look in the little women kitchen cabinets you should be able to find one of her pots or pans just the right size to put in your helmet to loosen it up enough for you to be able to wear it. Don't ask me how I know that.
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: Did NHRA drop the ball with the new Snell requirement? - 03/07/12 06:10 PM

There is a difference between a S and a SA helmet, the SA's are nomex lined.
© 2024 Moparts Forums