Moparts

Phoenix slicks

Posted By: cl440

Phoenix slicks - 02/08/12 05:19 AM

I have had a set of PH379 phoenix slicks on order for 2 months now and they keep pushing my date back? Anyone else having trouble getting a set of these tires?
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/08/12 05:49 AM

Talked to them last week.

I need a set before March in the worst way too.

They said they had run some tires in the molds and needed to check them or something and if everything was OK they would be ready in a week two. Left them my phone number and they are going to call me as soon as they get PH338s ready to go.

This was Coker tire in TN.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/08/12 01:47 PM

I sent them an email yesterday but no reply yet. I hope the tires are OK! I was wondering if the strike at cooper tire had anything to do with it? They have been striking for a couple months now.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/09/12 12:56 AM

I hope they get the production up soon.
I have been running Phoenix for many years and love them.
I use the PH337 31.25 x 12.2 W

But I can wait a little. My existing slicks should be OK until early May. But I would like to have them on hand in April.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/09/12 02:34 AM

I had first started noticing they were on back order in September of last year. None at Summit, Jegs or Harlow. I went ahead and ordered a set in December figuring that would give them plenty of time to get them to me before race season. Now the backorder keeps getting pushed back! Wonder what the problem is?
I dropped Coker an email but havent heard anything yet.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/09/12 02:37 AM

Quote:

I hope they get the production up soon.
I have been running Phoenix for many years and love them.
I use the PH337 31.25 x 12.2 W

But I can wait a little. My existing slicks should be OK until early May. But I would like to have them on hand in April.

Jim, Looks like the PH337 is in stock at Summit.
Posted By: WheelsUp73

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/09/12 03:01 AM

We have ran Phoenix tires since the late 90s,we just received a new set a month ago and I think something has changed at Coker. We have not hooked the new tires up, out of 15 passes we have hooked once. I called Coker tire and they sent me another set and we are spinning these also real bad. My car has gone from a giant wheelstander to a tire spinning pig. Hoosiers are in our future.

Attached picture 7061223-LisainSamoa2011.jpg
Posted By: 440charger500

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/09/12 03:56 AM

Oh no say it isnt so, I just bought my first set of pheonix tires last season and they are the best set of slicks I have ever found. I planned on buying a set for my Dart since my charger did so well, but this doesnt sound good.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/09/12 01:45 PM

Not good news for me either,,I have been blaming my Hoosiers for some 60' problems, and was going to buy new Phoenix this time..
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/09/12 07:41 PM

Quote:

We have ran Phoenix tires since the late 90s,we just received a new set a month ago and I think something has changed at Coker. We have not hooked the new tires up, out of 15 passes we have hooked once. I called Coker tire and they sent me another set and we are spinning these also real bad. My car has gone from a giant wheelstander to a tire spinning pig. Hoosiers are in our future.

FINALLY. I had this same issue, when they changed vendors, and nobody else had experienced this. From on the bumper to NOTHING, without changing a thing. FYI, I have used 11.5-29.5-15 since 1985, probably 25 pairs, including the original Firestone Drag series. I was told that the compound was identical. That was in 2007. I've been too poor to race since 2007, but now have a set of Hoosiers (18092) to try this year. Plus a whole boatload of "bad" shocks and springs. PLEASE post what you find.
Posted By: poppaj

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/09/12 11:31 PM

We tried two sets last year, both spun bad, the rubber balls up...someone new producing them... we went back to M/T's. Everyone that tried them that I know had the same problem????
Posted By: Muscles

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/10/12 01:02 AM

I had this same problem back a few years ago. Couldn't get 33x17x15 F9. They were changing something about them. I went to Goodyears and have never looked back.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/10/12 01:44 AM

Leigh...My M/Ts work great!! Pull the box out of that pooch and come on down!! J/K!! Hope to see some of you guys this year!!
Posted By: 65dragnet

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/10/12 01:51 AM

Phoenix aren't worth a crap since Coker bought them !
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/10/12 01:59 AM

Interesting read.... I too have had great success with the Phoenix 10.5 slick, but they are 07's. One time I switched to Hoosiers and after 20 unsuccessful launches, pulled them and went back to Phoenix. Was shopping around for new slicks as we're trying to get back out this year.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/10/12 02:03 AM

Quote:

Interesting read.... I too have had great success with the Phoenix 10.5 slick, but they are 07's. One time I switched to Hoosiers and after 20 unsuccessful launches, pulled them and went back to Phoenix. Was shopping around for new slicks as we're trying to get back out this year.

Had the same experience with switching to hoosiers!

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/10/12 03:06 AM

Quote:

Phoenix aren't worth a crap since Coker bought them !

There are a bunch of posts that don't agree.

I have run Phoenix slicks since about 2002 and have had no problems. In fact, I bought a new set in 2009 (direct from Coker) and won my local track championship with those slicks; and set a new personal best 60ft time with them. I buy a new set almost every year (200 or so passes). Now my current set was new in 2010 (another racer) and I bought them used with 40 passes that fall (Oct) and ran just fine in 2011 with them. They have 185 passes now as I put them on in June 2011 when my older Phoenix showed some chords...

I am just as concern as everyone. But the posts about problems don't add up to the date of tire, etc.

Please post as much info as possible, so I can make a tough decision about buying new ones in April.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/10/12 04:01 AM

Talked with Eric at Coker tire. Coker has switched to a new manufacturer to produce its Phoenix Race Tires. The company is Specialty tire of America out of PA.

According to Eric the delay is because as the company produces the tires they are released to Coker for testing then if they pass testing they are then OK'd for production.

The PH376 just passed testing and has been OK'd for production. The PH379 (My tire) is to be released to Coker for testing on 2/20/2012. If the tire passes inspection it should be back in production by early March.

The tires are supposed to be made with the exact same compounds and with the exact same construction as they were in the past............I hope so!

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/10/12 06:34 AM

Quote:

Talked with Eric at Coker tire. Coker has switched to a new manufacturer to produce its Phoenix Race Tires. The company is Specialty tire of America out of PA.

According to Eric the delay is because as the company produces the tires they are released to Coker for testing then if they pass testing they are then OK'd for production.

The PH376 just passed testing and has been OK'd for production. The PH379 (My tire) is to be released to Coker for testing on 2/20/2012. If the tire passes inspection it should be back in production by early March.

The tires are supposed to be made with the exact same compounds and with the exact same construction as they were in the past............I hope so!

Yea, thats what he told me too.

Better not push it past the end of February or mine will get a set of Mickeys on it.

I just don't have any lucky with Hoosiers on hot tracks in the summer.
Posted By: ChrisJohnston669

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/10/12 07:42 AM

did anyone else have a hard time getting the rubber from the burnout off the car!?

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/10/12 02:30 PM

Always have. Almost like trying to remove black grease off the fenders!!
Posted By: PolyDart

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/10/12 04:16 PM

Quote:

did anyone else have a hard time getting the rubber from the burnout off the car!?

Nasty stuff. I now use clear 3M film behind the tires. I let it build up for awhile, then peel it off and start over.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/10/12 05:12 PM

I tried a set of Mickey Thompsons last August and the results were no good. Bad tire spin and I lost .1 in 60 foot. I put an old set of Phoenix's back on the car that I bought last year and the car hooked hard. I bought a set of double adjustable shocks for the rear of my Dart replacing my single adjustables and we will give the Phoenix tires 1 more shot. I am running on Feb 20th at Infineon and will report with the results. Here is a video of the last pass on a cold track with the wornout Phoenix tires.
http://youtu.be/1HtN08OzO0s
Steve
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/11/12 08:55 AM

i didn't read all the reply's but they are firestones correct?
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Phoenix slicks - 02/11/12 01:58 PM

that's what i heard.
Posted By: 727builder

Re: Phoenix slicks - 03/24/12 02:54 AM

Looking for Any updates on the quality of the new phoenix slicks? Bunch of us around here prefer them over the other brands. We still can't get the ph-379's (13x31) A buddy just bought some 12.2 31.25 W's And to me? The compound feels too soft to be the same old f-9 compound. Will be a few weeks before his engine is back in the car to try them out.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 03/24/12 04:01 AM

Quote:

Looking for Any updates on the quality of the new phoenix slicks? Bunch of us around here prefer them over the other brands. We still can't get the ph-379's (13x31) A buddy just bought some 12.2 31.25 W's And to me? The compound feels too soft to be the same old f-9 compound. Will be a few weeks before his engine is back in the car to try them out.

I bought a set of 33 X 10.5 W PH103s and they seem too hard to me...I think they were old leftovers or something.

Didn't work worth a crap last weekend. I was going to make a few adjustments and try them one more time this weekend and now it looks like a washout.....

Anyone ever run the 10.5W PH103s on here?

Re: Phoenix slicks - 03/24/12 12:44 PM

Quote:

A buddy just bought some 12.2 31.25 W's And to me? The compound feels too soft to be the same old f-9 compound. Will be a few weeks before his engine is back in the car to try them out.

Keep me posted on his experience at the track. Those are the size I run and I plan to buy new slicks in April.

I can't afford a $600 mistake, then buy another brand for $600 more. I am trying to keep a cool head, but I am worried from the reports of existing Pheonix users that are having problems with new ones.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 03/24/12 02:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

A buddy just bought some 12.2 31.25 W's And to me? The compound feels too soft to be the same old f-9 compound. Will be a few weeks before his engine is back in the car to try them out.

Keep me posted on his experience at the track. Those are the size I run and I plan to buy new slicks in April.

I can't afford a $600 mistake, then buy another brand for $600 more. I am trying to keep a cool head, but I am worried from the reports of existing Pheonix users that are having problems with new ones.

X2
Posted By: 727builder

Re: Phoenix slicks - 03/24/12 11:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

X2

Will do guys. But may be weeks before his is back together? His block is at the machine shop and is suppose to be ready to pick up this coming week? But we all know how that goes? lol
Posted By: 65racer

Re: Phoenix slicks - 03/25/12 04:00 AM

I have been trying to get a set since
the first of the season last year,, and I don't
have any yet, I went to the hoosier brand,
and they costed me rds at every race I ran
on them, inconsistent on my car, I talked to
eric, and mike crutchfield at cooker, and they
said they are the same as they always were,
but I cannot say yes or no, because I cannot
get a set to try I also am on the list to get
a new set when they become available, and also
have a close friend who deals the phoenix tires,
and he cannot get them either, that is the size I
need the ph376, was told a month ago 2 to 3 weeks,
but their sence of time must be different then mine,
with the opening day of the racing season coming
up the first weekend of april, I am gonna have to decide
what I am gonna do, I have the old set I took off mine
last season, and I may pull the hoosiers and put the old
phoenix back on the car.
Mike crutchfield at cooker tole me it was bulls%^&t about the
tires not being any good, just some rumors the other
tire companys started, but with racers having trouble
with the tires working, it is hard to believe there is
not something to the tales.
I have run the phoenix tires ever since they became
available again, several years ago, and have had nothing
but good luck with them, and if I ever get another set to try
I can tell if there is any difference in them, and I have
the time slips, and the log book to back up any and all info,

Dave
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Phoenix slicks - 03/25/12 06:00 AM

I spoke with Mike at Gainesville,he said the tires are the same coumpound.Phoenix users at Gainesville had no problems hooking up.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 03/25/12 08:27 PM

Quote:

I spoke with Mike at Gainesville,he said the tires are the same coumpound.Phoenix users at Gainesville had no problems hooking up.

Track prep at a National or Divisional level race I'm sure is much better than your weekly bracket race. I had No luck with making the Phoenix tires work( did not hook once out of 23 runs on 2 different sets of new Phoenix tires) and I have sent back the first set of slicks I bought in January this year so they can analize them.I have not heard back from them.
Steve

Attached picture 7135079-Dart2-5-11_edited.JPG
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Phoenix slicks - 03/25/12 10:04 PM

I race at Gainesville using Phoenix tires and have no problems hooking up.Sure the prep is better at a national or divisional,but you just had a case of bad luck IMHO.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 04/02/12 03:12 AM

Well I re adjusted the suspension and I have to say I am quite impressed with these PH103s.

Doubled up and won both days in pro this weekend and other then a few shock adjustments these things were within a hundredth on the 60 ft just about every pass but maybe 1 and I think there was something on the track that pass.

10.5W cars to the front!

Never thought I would say that lol.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 04/04/12 10:22 PM

Just thought I would give an update on the Phoenix deal,
I just talked with Mike Crutchfield at Cooker, he said he
just got a production notice about the tires I use on my
car, the ph376 due to start production on them the latter part
of april said I should be able to get some by the middle
of may this sucks as far as I am concerned, I don't
know what other sizes are affected, but he said there were several
sizes they were having trouble getting, the problem is they have sold all their molds to someone in Pennsylvania, and they can't get
them to make the tires, see where this is going, I'm sure the
reguler or most used tires are the ones made first, the ones that they sell the most of, and the other sizes are just made when they get enought orders to justify making a bunch of sets, I am looking at goint to another size just to see if I can get any tires, these hoosiers I have on the car now ain't cutting it.

Dave
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: Phoenix slicks - 04/04/12 10:56 PM

Try M&H they hook like the Phoenix.
Posted By: StripeHOG

Re: Phoenix slicks - 04/04/12 11:27 PM

Mickey Thompson all the way
Posted By: 10sec440

Re: Phoenix slicks - 04/05/12 04:41 AM

I have had great success with Phoenix as well, been using them (32x14's) since 2000 winning many races and championships with them. At the beginning of last year, everyone was out of stock because of the problems they were having. I had to buy something so new M/T's went on and out of 30 passes it hooked once or twice. Mid season a few sets became available so I got a pair,put them on and the car went back to its old self. I recently noticed they had some in stock, so I figured I better grab a pair just in case even though I don't need them yet. I hope they are good! I'll be putting them on in the next month or 2 so I will report here when I do.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 04/05/12 03:23 PM

Thanks for sharing the experiences with the 14x32.
IMO the exact tire and application is important when talking about how a slick works (the "best" tire).

I am getting ready to pull the trigger and buy another set of 31.25 x 12.2 W. This is the size I have been running with great success for many years. My current set has 150 passes on them, and were still working great last weekend on a good track. But I want to be ready to put new ones on later this month (I have two sets of rims).

14" wide rim
1.24 sixty foot times
3225 lbs
Laddar bar, back half car.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 04/05/12 05:11 PM

Quote:

Well I re adjusted the suspension and I have to say I am quite impressed with these PH103s.

Doubled up and won both days in pro this weekend and other then a few shock adjustments these things were within a hundredth on the 60 ft just about every pass but maybe 1 and I think there was something on the track that pass.

10.5W cars to the front!

Never thought I would say that lol.

Thanks for the report. Looks like you have that 33 x 10.5 W figured out.
Quote:

previous quote
bought a set of 33 X 10.5 W PH103s and they seem too hard to me...I think they were old leftovers or something.

Didn't work worth a crap last weekend. I was going to make a few adjustments and try them one more time this weekend and now it looks like a washout.....

Re: Phoenix slicks - 04/05/12 06:15 PM

Quote:

I have had great success with Phoenix as well, been using them (32x14's) since 2000 winning many races and championships with them. At the beginning of last year, everyone was out of stock because of the problems they were having. I had to buy something so new M/T's went on and out of 30 passes it hooked once or twice. Mid season a few sets became available so I got a pair,put them on and the car went back to its old self. I recently noticed they had some in stock, so I figured I better grab a pair just in case even though I don't need them yet. I hope they are good! I'll be putting them on in the next month or 2 so I will report here when I do.

On the M/Ts you tried what compound did you use? L-8 or M-5

Re: Phoenix slicks - 04/05/12 07:45 PM

3074S Mickey.....

Best 32 X 14 tire on the Market.

If I switch again that's whats going back on my car.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 04/06/12 06:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

On the M/Ts you tried what compound did you use? L-8 or M-5

They were L-8's.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 04/19/12 04:43 AM

So I have made over 20 something passes on my new Phoenix slicks and spun every time. After watching the videos of my car it looked like the tire was wadding up bad at the hit then the spin begins.So I installed tubes and 32 rim screws per rim and went to the track tonight. The car hooked hard every pass and pulled some rear wheel 60 foots. So it you are having traction issues try tubes and rim screws, it sure helped my car. Here is a gopro of my last run tonight.
http://youtu.be/v2lldMmyg5I
Posted By: JD Dart

Re: Phoenix slicks - 04/19/12 05:17 AM

Nice run
Posted By: racer_amx

Re: Phoenix slicks - 04/19/12 07:31 AM

Quote:

Nice run

+1

Posted By: Tig

Re: Phoenix slicks - 04/19/12 05:38 PM

32 rim screws? Been wondering about this myself, does it make a difference?

Re: Phoenix slicks - 04/19/12 06:09 PM

I did 16 per wheel on mine this year.

I am running the 10.5W tire on a 14 inch rim so I wanted something to hold the bead on the rim.

Working pretty good so far.
Posted By: steeldust

Re: Phoenix slicks - 04/19/12 11:51 PM

I run GOODYEAR 33X14.5 & PHOENIX 32X14 & M/T 32X14 on my bird and they all worked GOOD but the GOODYEARS was the best but now on my DUSTER i was running M/T 31X10.5W they was real good but i just went to HOOSIERS 32X13 this year and man they HOOK i like them but it`s hard to beat GOODYEAR & M/T

Attached picture 7171682-BOUNTY2012.jpg

Re: Phoenix slicks - 04/20/12 12:44 AM

Quote:

I installed tubes and 32 rim screws per rim and went to the track tonight. The car hooked hard every pass and pulled some rear wheel 60 foots.

Thanks for the update.
I pulled the trigger on a new pair of Phoenix PH337, 31.25 x 12.2 W on 14" wide rims, like I have been running for many years. My current ones are getting old and approaching 200 passes. If the weather gets better, I will be at the track this weekend. I hope to mount, screw, and balance them on Friday. I have always run tubes in mine to stiffen the sidewall and make the tire last longer. 1.24 sixty foot at 3225 lbs.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 04/20/12 02:28 AM

Here is a photo from 1 of my runs yesterday on the 29.5 10.5 Phoenix.

Attached picture 7171844-DodgeDart4-18-12.jpg
Posted By: steeldust

Re: Phoenix slicks - 04/20/12 02:45 AM

Quote:

Here is a photo from 1 of my runs yesterday on the 29.5 10.5 Phoenix.

I have training wheels on my car do you have a lot of front end trouble man that thing is high but it looks killer nice car .

Attached picture 7171856-BOUNTY2012.jpg

Re: Phoenix slicks - 04/20/12 03:05 AM

I have a wheelie bar also. I just have it set up real high, but low enough so I don't grind the chrome off the bumper. No, no front end trouble at all. It has taken alot of time to set up this car to wheelstand, go straight and not come down hard. Its fun as hell to drive!

Re: Phoenix slicks - 05/13/12 03:29 AM

Quote:

I pulled the trigger on a new pair of Phoenix PH337, 31.25 x 12.2 W on 14" wide rims, like I have been running for many years. My current ones are getting old and approaching 200 passes. If the weather gets better, I will be at the track this weekend. I hope to mount, screw, and balance them on Friday. I have always run tubes in mine to stiffen the sidewall and make the tire last longer.

Well that weekend was rained out and the next two were special events (all motorcycle, all Ford). But I finally got to the track today with my new Phoenix slicks.
They worked great!
They hooked every time and were very consistant.
Here are the sixty foot times (80+ degrees) in order:
1st: 1.269
2nd: 1.273
3rd: 1.273
4th: 1.275

I am a happy Phoenix user.
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: Phoenix slicks - 05/13/12 03:55 PM

That's some nice 60' times Jim. Also good to hear the tires worked well. Jim

Re: Phoenix slicks - 05/13/12 04:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I pulled the trigger on a new pair of Phoenix PH337, 31.25 x 12.2 W on 14" wide rims, like I have been running for many years. My current ones are getting old and approaching 200 passes. If the weather gets better, I will be at the track this weekend. I hope to mount, screw, and balance them on Friday. I have always run tubes in mine to stiffen the sidewall and make the tire last longer.

Well that weekend was rained out and the next two were special events (all motorcycle, all Ford). But I finally got to the track today with my new Phoenix slicks.
They worked great!
They hooked every time and were very consistant.
Here are the sixty foot times (80+ degrees) in order:
1st: 1.269
2nd: 1.273
3rd: 1.273
4th: 1.275

I am a happy Phoenix user.

I put a new set of 338s on mine this weekend and from what I can tell they are going to work as good as the old ones did.

Posted By: cgall

Re: Phoenix slicks - 05/13/12 10:57 PM

Glad to hear they are still out there. Best tires for the money.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 05/29/12 10:03 PM

6 months and still waiting! I hope they arrive soon!

Re: Phoenix slicks - 05/29/12 10:29 PM

Quote:

6 months and still waiting! I hope they arrive soon!

Good luck getting a set, I have been waiting for a season
and half now, and still cannot get a set, call every couple of weeks,
always hear next week we should know something.

Dave

Re: Phoenix slicks - 06/04/12 02:09 PM

Well I cant wait any longer! I switched my order from the pheonix 379's to goodyear 2018's.
Shipped today and should be here tomorrow!

Re: Phoenix slicks - 06/06/12 01:18 AM

Quote:

I have had a set of PH379 phoenix slicks on order for 2 months now and they keep pushing my date back? Anyone else having trouble getting a set of these tires?

Sorry to hear the production of that particular size is a problem.

PH379
13.0/31.0-15
Cross section: 15.00"
Tread Width: 12.40"
Overall Diameter: 30.60

Have you considered the
PH376
11.5/29.5-15 W
Cross section: 15.50"
Tread Width: 13.50"
Overall Diameter: 30.40

Re: Phoenix slicks - 06/06/12 01:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry to hear the production of that particular size is a problem.

PH379
13.0/31.0-15
Cross section: 15.00"
Tread Width: 12.40"
Overall Diameter: 30.60

Have you considered the
PH376
11.5/29.5-15 W
Cross section: 15.50"
Tread Width: 13.50"
Overall Diameter: 30.40

What width rim is recommended for the PH376??

Re: Phoenix slicks - 06/06/12 01:31 AM

Quote:

What width rim is recommended for the PH376??

Check their web site. m
http://www.phoenixracingtires.com/

Re: Phoenix slicks - 06/06/12 03:33 AM

A 12 inch wide wheel is recommended for that tire.

Attached picture 7238175-StevedrivingDart2070109.JPG

Re: Phoenix slicks - 06/06/12 02:14 PM

Quote:

A 12 inch wide wheel is recommended for that tire.

Thanks,,I have 12" & 14",,didn't want to have to buy more wheels.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 06/06/12 04:52 PM

I was going to switch my order from the 379 to the 376 but Summit told me the backorder was the same on both.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 06/07/12 06:26 AM

I finally put my new slicks on and they are awesome! Right from the first hit!

Re: Phoenix slicks - 06/08/12 02:10 PM

Jeg's has ONE PH376. Summit says "mid July" before they will have any.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 06/09/12 07:25 PM

Quote:

I was going to switch my order from the 379 to the 376 but Summit told me the backorder was the same on both.

Too bad several of the sizes are not currently available.

I am running the PH337 and the set I bought in May has worked perfect every run. But they are a little wider and taller than the ones you have been running.

PH337 12.2/31.25-15W
F9 compound
14.0 Recommended rim width
16.5 Section width
31.8 Dia
13.4 Tread width
100.0 Circumference

Re: Phoenix slicks - 06/13/12 05:17 PM

Anyone that is need of a good fitting alternative to the Phoenix 379 tire. Dad worked this week mounting and installing the Good Year 2018's on the Duster and the fit is for the most part exactly the same as the 379's. The section was only slightly larger (1/2" total) and the tread is almost an inch wider. We will see how they hook this Sunday.
Posted By: 3ddart

Re: Phoenix slicks - 07/24/12 12:41 PM

any upates on this subject? thanks, dave

Re: Phoenix slicks - 07/24/12 11:24 PM

As a matter of fact I just spoke to Mike Crutchfield at
coker yesterday about the availability of said tires
in question, as the 376 is what mt car likes, he told me
they should have some by the end of next week, the way I
understood him they only do a productuon run of so many
sets at a time, when the run is over, they ship the tires,
he is supposed to call and let me know something the latter
part of next week, but I ain't gonna hold my breath waiting
for a call, I have had to call them every couple of weeks
going on for a year and a half now to try and get a set of tires,
I bought a set of hoosiers and my car does not like the tires,
they have costed me several rds since I put them on the car,
but I have been tweaking on it to try and get the to be consistent,
and when I think I have them figured out they will spin and
throw me a losing ticket, I am gonna put some tires on the car in the next
couple of weeks whether it be a set of phoenix or mt's I don't
know yet but I am fed up with the hoosiers costing me rd wins,
because they want to spin when ever they decide to.

Dave

Re: Phoenix slicks - 07/25/12 12:24 AM

thanks for the update dave, guess i'll hold off trying to find the 379s. please post if he does call you. dave d

Re: Phoenix slicks - 07/25/12 12:58 AM

My findings exactly....I have not been able to find/buy any Phoenix anywhere. My way of thinking is,,if Jegs or Summit can't get them, how am I going to find any??? Jegs/Summit kept telling me "early/middle of July"...that ship has sailed,,where are these damn tires available?? I would LOVE to have a product that everybody is wanting,,I would make sure that it was readily available.

Just called Jegs again to check availability,,,'Bob' @ Jegs said "next Tuesday". Reminds me of Wimpy,,"I'd gladly pay you next Tuesday for a hamburger today"...

Re: Phoenix slicks - 08/13/12 02:07 PM

UPDATE+++++++++++

Just got off the pgone with Mike Crutchfield at coker tire,
he tole me he had a handful of the #376 Phoenix tires, didn't
think to ask how many sets he had of them, but I thought I would
let people know they have some of those tires in stock right now.

After I talked to him I called my tire guy, and I have a set on the way, and I have to say I got a smoking price from him for the tires,
a heck of a lot cheaper dollar wise than buying from anyone I have ever dealt with, so if anyone needs new Phoenix tires, PM me and I
will give you my guy's phone number, I think you will be pleased
with the prices he will quote you, I haven't been able to buy a new set of tires in years for the price I was quoted from him.

Thanks
Dave

Re: Phoenix slicks - 08/13/12 02:57 PM

thanks for the update dave! i don't think i can fit the sidewall in on my car, so i will have to wait for ph379 or ph378. i'm seeing a sec width of 15.5 on the 376s and 15.0 on the 379s. dave

Re: Phoenix slicks - 08/19/12 02:09 PM

Here is another update on the phoenix tires, I rolled
a new set on this week, got to make a few hits last
night, 2 tt, and went 5 rds, to the semis, before I
lost a .003 race, anyway, the 60' on the car were within
.006 thou all night long, so I am mildy pleased with
the performance of the tires, that can't be said about
the driver though, I should have won that semi rd, was
just me making the wrong decision at the stripe, but
there was still money in the pocket, so it's gonna
be alright, here are the 60' times the car ran,

I am confident that the tires are gonna do their job better
than the hoowsies I had on the car, went some rds, won some
$$$$$$$$ and came home in 1 piece, so it's all good.

Dave
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Phoenix slicks - 08/19/12 02:12 PM

Nice job,Dave!

Re: Phoenix slicks - 08/19/12 02:20 PM

Nice, consistant sixty foot times with the new Phoenix slicks.

Congrats on going all the way to the final round.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 08/19/12 04:16 PM

Got my new 376's on too Dave!! I didn't see as much improvement as I had hoped to see. I did not spin once though. My 60' were in the 1.456-1.470 range. Our track is usually slick the first pass or two or until the sun gets off it. I talked to some of my friends and they were spinning. I'm sure the 60' variation was due to the driver trying different air pressures and starting line RPM. So far 11# seems to be the pressure they like on my car. I only got 4 hits. I red-lited in the 2nd rd. Bests of 1.456 /4.213/ 6.546 / 105.13.
Highlight of the evening was our own Moparts member 'slomoshun' taking Scotty Richardson out in the 3rd round. Scotty was there running both classes(box&no box) and got took out by the locals in both classes. Not sure who got him in no box class,,wasn't me luckily!!

Re: Phoenix slicks - 08/22/12 01:00 PM

Got an email from Eric at Coker tire. The PH379's are in and should be matched and shipped today!!!

Attached picture 7345559-Duster7-8-12.jpg
Posted By: 1BadLiLCharger

Re: Phoenix slicks - 08/22/12 09:53 PM

I waited for the PH337 for most of last year, finally gave up and went to the tried and true Goodyear 1984's.

440Jim - that PH55R looks interesting - I like the fact that it's .4 taller than the 337 and everything else is pretty much the same. I'm guessing the 'R' means 'Radial' which wouldn't be good.

Re: Phoenix slicks - 09/07/12 02:16 PM

So much for my new slicks. Broke motor and trans after less than 12 passes... Hope to get all fixed and back out before season is over

Re: Phoenix slicks - 09/07/12 09:10 PM

Quote:

So much for my new slicks. Broke motor and trans after less than 12 passes... Hope to get all fixed and back out before season is over

Fred,
Hate to hear you broke the car, I am very pleased with
the new Phoenox tires, seems just like they always did
for me, I have already put 18 runs on mine and it hasn't
even hinted it wanted to spin the tires like it did with
the Hoosiers, been out 2 times with the new tires, and
had a semi final finish, and a final round already, have
paid for them twice, and still put money in my pocket, I
just wish I could have gotten them earlier in the season,
the points race at my track I believe would have had a
somewhat different outcome from my perspective, I have gained
200 points in the last 2 outings, but with just 1 more
points race left, there is nothing I can do with the guy in
1st place but 2nd and 3rd better be looking out.

Dave

Re: Phoenix slicks - 09/08/12 01:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Fred,
Hate to hear you broke the car, I am very pleased with
the new Phoenox tires, seems just like they always did
for me, I have already put 18 runs on mine and it hasn't
even hinted it wanted to spin the tires like it did with
the Hoosiers, been out 2 times with the new tires, and
had a semi final finish, and a final round already, have
paid for them twice, and still put money in my pocket, I
just wish I could have gotten them earlier in the season,
the points race at my track I believe would have had a
somewhat different outcome from my perspective, I have gained
200 points in the last 2 outings, but with just 1 more
points race left, there is nothing I can do with the guy in
1st place but 2nd and 3rd better be looking out.

Dave

Just alittle ,,I'm sure the tires had NOTHING to do with my problems. As for my being back out before the season's end... I am not so sure after I pulled the head off awhile ago. The guide boss is busted. I will have to get everything apart, cleaned. etc and then see if I can get it welded/repaired. I don't know anything about the transmission yet, haven't dug into it yet. I guess I will just take my time and do it as I feel like it and have the time/money. Tires sure did work good though.
© 2024 Moparts Forums