Moparts

Stealth Head question

Posted By: StripeHOG

Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 03:37 AM

anyone know what valves they come with????
Posted By: d-150

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 04:19 AM

2.14 intake 1.81 exhaust

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 04:21 AM

guess I shoulda been more specific in my question.. LOL what brand of valves do they come with??
Posted By: 00snake530

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 04:24 AM

rev

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 04:33 AM

anyone have any issues with them??
Posted By: hemigod426

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 04:41 AM

Quote:

they are the best non race head for flow/price/weight. the stock 11/32 stainless valves will be fine for hyd flat/hyd roller and solid flat,if you wanna get serious with solid roller replace valves with ferrea.
Posted By: Von

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 04:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

they are the best non race head for flow/price/weight.

Very debatable....

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 05:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

they are the best non race head for flow/price/weight.

Very debatable....

then whats a better stock looking/all stock part using replacement head for 440? for years mopar iron stage iv was the best replacement,stealth smokes them. and mopars recent 906 alum replacement head is about the same but 2x the cost...

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 05:07 AM

Quote:

then whats a better stock looking/all stock part

You didnt say this in your original post....

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 05:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

then whats a better stock looking/all stock part

You didnt say this in your original post....

said the best non-race head=replacement type,to compare stealth to indy,zeeker,b-1,brodox,bulldog,eddy,procomp is silly

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 06:57 AM

[quote the best non-race head=replacement type

Still debatable....Casting quality...I'll take the RPM heads....

Flow wise, every flow test Ive seen of OOTB heads, the RPM is better than the Stealth. Yes, when CNCed they are almost identical...but OOTB RPM takes it.

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 01:22 PM

Quote:

[quote the best non-race head=replacement type

Still debatable....Casting quality...I'll take the RPM heads....

Flow wise, every flow test Ive seen of OOTB heads, the RPM is better than the Stealth. Yes, when CNCed they are almost identical...but OOTB RPM takes it.

yes the eddy rpm head will smoke stealth with little porting easy, but thats not a stock type or looking replacement head, its entry level buget street/strip race head and looks the with part angle plugs,eddy script on flat faces,no soft plugs....again the stealth is best non race head for flow/cost/weight/stock type
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 02:06 PM

The stealths chamber and ports are direct copy of the RPM heads, just a little more rude and no hand blending in the bowls etc. And the fact that rpm's hgave angled plug, but the mopar performance head is the same except for the straight plugs. Everything bolts on just like in the Stealths, the only major difference being the quality and the looks. I really can't see how the Edelbrock script in the end of the headf makes it a race head, while the Stealth is not? But I guess it's not the only thing in the world I don't understand.

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 02:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

[ but thats not a stock type or looking replacement head, its entry level buget street/strip race head and looks the with part angle plugs,eddy script on flat faces,no soft plugs....again the stealth is best non race head for flow/cost/weight/stock type

Never mind........
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 04:09 PM

Quote:

The stealths chamber and ports are direct copy of the RPM heads, just a little more rude and no hand blending in the bowls etc. And the fact that rpm's hgave angled plug, but the mopar performance head is the same except for the straight plugs. Everything bolts on just like in the Stealths, the only major difference being the quality and the looks. I really can't see how the Edelbrock script in the end of the headf makes it a race head, while the Stealth is not? But I guess it's not the only thing in the world I don't understand.

It's obviously a race head because it doesn't look like a stock head ...
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 05:33 PM

Quote:

rev

what evidence do you have that those heads come with REV valves?

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 05:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

rev

Are REV valves made overseas ???
Posted By: Thor500

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 06:35 PM

Please!! for the love of God, no more 440 Source threads!!!

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 08:42 PM

Quote:

heres a pic of the eddy heads i put on my bracket race car 6 years ago, boy they look so stock lol. would like to upgrade to indy SR

Attached picture 7056959-100_1338.JPG

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 09:12 PM

heres stealth heads on 1970 440 sixpack HP2 engine i just finished full build for a guy with 1970 road runner. once painted look stock.putting same heads on my real six pack superbee with stroker kit and solid roller cam on a restored or rare car, stealth heads are awesome. i dont get all the stealth haters. we have been waiting a long time for this option,im not gunna put eddy heads on real sixpack cars

Attached picture 7057009-100_3252.JPG

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 09:38 PM

I don't hate Stealth heads. I have used close to ten sets of them and for the price they are hard to beat. But to tell that they are the best stock OTB replacement heads is false; they are not. Although not perfect, the Edelbrocks and the mopar performance heads are better material and better quality overall.
Here is a "383" I built some two years ago with Stealth heads, mild hydraulic cam and 460+ hp
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1utFs2uOvMs/SbKhXe4uBbI/AAAAAAAACjc/SrYXJgq4JRo/s1600-h/DSC08667.JPG

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 09:52 PM

Quote:

heres stealth heads

Those are race heads...no heat crossover...race all of the way......

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 09:57 PM

Quote:

boy they look so stock lol.

From that pic they look no more racier than Stealths... ...without a heat crossover....

Im not a stealth hater either, they have their place...but they arent the BEST non race type head.....

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 10:12 PM

Quote:

I don't hate Stealth heads. I have used close to ten sets of them and for the price they are hard to beat. But to tell that they are the best stock OTB replacement heads is false; they are not. Although not perfect, the Edelbrocks and the mopar performance heads are better material and better quality overall.
Here is a "383" I built some two years ago with Stealth heads, mild hydraulic cam and 460+ hp
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1utFs2uOvMs/SbKhXe4uBbI/AAAAAAAACjc/SrYXJgq4JRo/s1600-h/DSC08667.JPG

nice work, but still what better stock looking head set, can you buy for 1k with 2.14/1.81 11/32 stainless valves,seats,and cast in alum and flow 285 otb, the only other head is mopar performance and about 2x the cost,yes made better but dont flow the same. and eddy heads are also made better i know that but they dont look stock at all, that would be like comparing indy SRs to stealth heads.
Posted By: 00snake530

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 10:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

rev

a sworn and notarized statement

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 10:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

rev

a sworn and notarized statement

can't even get flow sheet numbers for them ....

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/06/12 11:39 PM

Quote:

flow 285 otb,

Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/07/12 12:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

flow 285 otb,

FWIW, in the stealth vs eddy rpm flow test that that dwayne (fast68plymouth) did when the stealths first came out, neither the stealth nor eddy heads came near touching 285cfm OOTB. In that test, at .300 lift and below, the stealths had a slight few cfm edge over the eddy heads, after that the eddys had about a 10cfm lead, peaking at 276cfm at .600 lift. From what I'm told, a clean up of the bowl to valve seat transition on the steath heads really helps bring them up to par with the eddy heads.

But hey, everyone's flow bench is different. Some seem to put out some really 'happy' numbers!
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/07/12 12:23 AM

Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/07/12 12:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

flow 285 otb,

FWIW, in the stealth vs eddy rpm flow test that that dwayne (fast68plymouth) did when the stealths first came out, neither the stealth nor eddy heads came near touching 285cfm OOTB. In that test, at .300 lift and below, the stealths had a slight few cfm edge over the eddy heads, after that the eddys had about a 10cfm lead, peaking at 276cfm at .600 lift. From what I'm told, a clean up of the bowl to valve seat transition on the steath heads really helps bring them up to par with the eddy heads.

But hey, everyone's flow bench is different. Some seem to put out some really 'happy' numbers!

I have had 4 different 440source heads on my flow bench and the best flowing port was 267 cfm. It takes about 1-2 minutes to check the calibration on my bench so I check it every time I start porting a set of heads. When I hear these guys saying they flow 290 out of the box I cringe.

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/07/12 12:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

flow 285 otb,

you can also pick up those #s by doing nice unshrouding of valves with no other work and remill to get the same size chamber.but scrap 452 iron heads must be better...with ports bone stock, little bowl cutting/blending and 5 angle valve job #s get better with stealth heads.and full ported will flow 300-320 intake at useable lift of 600,does this not prove its a great stock looking replacement head?
Posted By: buck440

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/07/12 01:07 AM

keep this goin! i have aset of stealth's in the machine shop right now. im liking all this info
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/07/12 01:33 AM

That early set of heads that Dwyane did were a set I got from Brandon to do some " testing" on and give him some fedback at the time. They did not equally flow with Edelbrocks out of the box.

Guys, this isnt Earth shattering news here. ANY head of this level, can be improved upon with some work. I think overall, the Ebrocks are a touch better witht he valve jobs, guide sizing and such, but I also believe the Stealths have gotten better. I'll have a few more sets here shortly of the " newer" breed, and will find out first hand.

Whatever you do, dont ever even consider wasting your time flowing from one bench to another. Unless the heads were flowed by the same knowledgable operator, then forget it. Too many reasons that cant be compared.

Bottom line, its your money, spend it the way you want. Take them to a professional and you will see results with bowl work, valve job and chamber work. Guys like Dwyane have spent a fair portion of their life studying what works and what doesnt, as have I.
Make your decisions accordingly. The Stealths have probably made it reasonable for many people to updgrade to a newer head, rather than having to re-build old cast iron. They have their place, Ebrocks have theirs, and then you get into true race quality offerings, which shouldnt be combined in the same category.

Based on some very current information I just got yesterday, even Edelbrock doesnt consider the RPM series of head a race oriented piece. ( I cant publicly explain why that came up with them)and I dont blame them. We MAKE them a race piece by doing all the porting work and so forth, but they were never ever intended to be a race piece. Being the mad scientists we are, we automatically make them that..

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/07/12 01:45 AM

Quote:

does this not prove its a great stock looking replacement head?

Have you ever been in a pissing contest with a skunk?? LOL.

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/07/12 05:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

you really need to find better things to do over there for fun, like buy some stealth heads lol

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/07/12 06:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm going to have to say you both have been .

Von , you'll never change the mind of a source sword swallower
Posted By: slippery440

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/07/12 12:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hey John Why is it any 440 Source thread appears you appear. You must be the THINK you are a expert on thier product. I have been pounding the first run Stealth Heads from day one. I milled the chambers down to 72 cc.Roller cam with seat pressure of 245 and open at 580 to 600 pounds. I am run E85 . I SHIFT AT 6800 RPM. NOW THIS HAS BEEN DONE WITH NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.This kinda makes me more reliable person to ask what the stealth heads are capable of. Are there better heads? HELL YES!!! Do they cost more? YES! ARE STEALTH HEADS A ALL OUT RACE HEAD? NO NO!!! These heads fit the area between the old 906s and 915s and the Indy and edelbrock heads. Not for everyone but a heck of alot better than spending hundreds of dollars on old cast iron junk.
Posted By: SG duster

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/07/12 12:39 PM

Hey! just watch what you say about old cast junk aye. Its done us proud for decades

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/07/12 01:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hey John Why is it any 440 Source thread appears you appear. You must be the THINK you are a expert on thier product. I have been pounding the first run Stealth Heads from day one. I milled the chambers down to 72 cc.Roller cam with seat pressure of 245 and open at 580 to 600 pounds. I am run E85 . I SHIFT AT 6800 RPM. NOW THIS HAS BEEN DONE WITH NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.This kinda makes me more reliable person to ask what the stealth heads are capable of. Are there better heads? HELL YES!!! Do they cost more? YES! ARE STEALTH HEADS A ALL OUT RACE HEAD? NO NO!!! These heads fit the area between the old 906s and 915s and the Indy and edelbrock heads. Not for everyone but a heck of alot better than spending hundreds of dollars on old cast iron junk.

thank you slippery 440, and little john any time you wanna go fast and look stock ill let you swallow my source sword,but pay attention to the ball bearings they can get fast and loose...

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/07/12 01:53 PM

Look mom, no hands!

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/Dar...t=ALL3HEADS.jpg
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/07/12 02:35 PM

ok what happened??????????

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/07/12 03:04 PM

Don't know. The guy exploded 3 Stelth heads, switched to Indy EZ's and has been fine after that. Perhaps some detonation, it was/is a 14-71 blown wedge. Anyway, seems that the Stealths are not the strongest castings around. We have one set of Stealths on a Koln blown 400, and that has worked without any problems, and one with RPM's and a 8-71 (that will be switched to turbos this winter and put into a '70 Chrysler New yorker, aiming at 300 km/h top speed) and that has been fine too.

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/07/12 06:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

thank you slippery 440, and little john any time you wanna go fast and look stock ill let you swallow my source sword,but pay attention to the ball bearings they can get fast and loose...

Would that include cutting .080 off the deck , .050 off the heads and not being concerned with intake fit ?

I'll pass needle d... , that's not my style.

stalker440, why do you or any of the other pipers mice care where I post? Did I say one derogatory thing about any source product in this thread? It's good to hear those heads are working out for you.

Now if I posted posted up the picture of that head I would have been give a long vacation ...

right click .... save

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/07/12 06:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

flow 285 otb,

you can also pick up those #s by doing nice unshrouding of valves with no other work and remill to get the same size chamber.but scrap 452 iron heads must be better...with ports bone stock, little bowl cutting/blending and 5 angle valve job #s get better with stealth heads.and full ported will flow 300-320 intake at useable lift of 600,does this not prove its a great stock looking replacement head?

The stealths are a good head, I own a set of the first run stealths. And yes of course their flow comes up nicely with porting. The CNC job that Jeff at modern cylinder head does will bring them up to a nice 300cfm flow. But that's an extra 1k. My point is the stealths absolutely do not flow 285cfm right out of the box. The edelbrocks don't even flow 285cfm OOTB. The flow test that Dwayne did when they first came out several years ago:

Quote:

4.375 bore, 28" test pressure, radius plate on intake, no tube on exhaust:

average flow for #5 and #7 cylinder

lift----I/E
.100--63.8/49.0
.200-140.5/104.1
.300-207.8/139.7
.400-239.2/164.6
.450-248.1/172.5
.500-256.1/177.8
.550-261.5/182.6
.600-265.3/188.2
.650-267.3/191.5
.700-267.3/195.8

here is an OOTB E head i tested recently, also the average for a left and right cylinder:

lift----I/E
.100--66.1/50.8
.200-138.3/105.4
.300-203.8/140.5
.400-243.1/163.6
.450-258.0/170.4
.500-265.7/178.6
.550-272.3/185.3
.600-276.5/190.3
.650-276.1/194.6
.700-275.7/197.3

Posted By: 2734bbl

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/07/12 08:20 PM

Which piston design is better for the stealth head? Flat top(zero deck), dome or reverse dome? for and 10-11 to 1 NA application?

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/07/12 10:00 PM

Quote:

Which piston design is better for the stealth head? Flat top(zero deck), dome or reverse dome? for and 10-11 to 1 NA application?

What size is the engine ?

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/07/12 11:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

440 stock stroke. I have KB flat tops at zero deck with 452s now. Lookin to go 915s or Stealths.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/08/12 01:27 AM

I bought a set of Stealth's 2 years ago.Main reason..price,as I was building a more street orientated and true pump gasoline 440.Engine has cast pistons,9.0 compression and a MP 557 cam.I have not tuned the engine 100% yet as I only made a total of 4 passes at 2 different tracks,but I'm running 11.30,and I think I still have a tenth in the combo.It would have cost just as much to go back thru my pocket ported 452's that were damaged after I lost a 440 back in 2004,as it did to get the new Stealth's.

The Stealth heads have done the job for me,and I'm pleased with how they have performed.
Posted By: slippery440

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/08/12 02:05 AM

John john john You are not nearly good looking enough for me to want to stalk you. But I will correct you when you talk from the other mouth you sit on.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/08/12 02:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

440 stock stroke. I have KB flat tops at zero deck with 452s now. Lookin to go 915s or Stealths.

Stealths are closed chamber heads that are cast at 84cc's, which lend themselves to work well with a flat-top piston at 0-deck. Use a .040 gasket, and you'll have a quench motor that should check in right around 10 - 10.5:1 depending on valve relief's and a few other variables. My 451 has OTB stealths on it and I've been happy sofar.

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/08/12 03:27 AM

what about dome pistons say trw 2295's

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/08/12 04:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't have the numbers but the KB has a pretty big canyon for a valve relief , use a .040ish head gasket and the closed chamber head will be fine. Go for the alum unless you find a smoking deal on the 915's. Just don't plan on running the stealths out of the box .

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/08/12 06:44 AM

Quote:

You don't want anything that protrudes above deck when you run a closed chambered head like the stealths.
Posted By: SG duster

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/08/12 08:55 AM

I run 2295s with 915s in one of my engines, 915s are more of a closed chamber than stealths. Im right on 12 to 1 with my combo, and it loves it. cant see why stealths wouldnt like a 2295

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/08/12 09:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You don't want anything that protrudes above deck when you run a closed chambered head like the stealths.

were do you come up with this crap?by coping old wrong info you did not find by doing. holmes the dome part goes under the open part of the chamber,of a closed chamber head. you will have more problems with eddy heads and dome pistons because of angle plugs. you have to grind/open up the plug relief in dome. here a pic of 440 i did 3 years ago with ross tall dome pistons and stealth heads, fit perfect. and Dear johnRR my 4340 billet hemi crank and big shinny stage v alum head is so massive your gunna need two hands to lift it,if you say i swallow anything honey

Attached picture 7060071-100_2446.JPG

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/08/12 11:12 PM

thanks guy's
Posted By: deaks

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/08/12 11:41 PM

were do you come up with this crap?by coping old wrong info you did not find by doing. holmes the dome part goes under the open part of the chamber,of a closed chamber head. you will have more problems with eddy heads and dome pistons because of angle plugs. you have to grind/open up the plug relief in dome. here a pic of 440 i did 3 years ago with ross tall dome pistons and stealth heads, fit perfect. and Dear johnRR my 4340 billet hemi crank and big shinny stage v alum head is so massive your gunna need two hands to lift it,if you say i swallow anything honey

I run 76 cc edelbrock heads with JE domes 12.7.1, i use autolite AR3931 none projected tip plugs and they clear fine.
Mick

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/09/12 12:11 AM

Quote:

Dear johnRR my 4340 billet hemi crank and big shinny stage v alum head is so massive your gunna need two hands to lift it,if you say i swallow anything honey

I won't say it but if you are admitting you'll swallow anything

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/09/12 01:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Dear johnRR my 4340 billet hemi crank and big shinny stage v alum head is so massive your gunna need two hands to lift it,if you say i swallow anything honey

I won't say it but if you are admitting you'll swallow anything

as long as its the beer your buying me,so i dont slap you in the crank sucker

Re: Stealth Head question - 02/09/12 06:12 PM

Thanks for the piston info guys
© 2024 Moparts Forums