Moparts

i'm bored with the six pack

Posted By: sixpackgut

i'm bored with the six pack - 01/26/12 11:30 PM

i cant help myself. its a disease i have. for those that been around here for the past 8 years know i have problem and this setup has been on my car for a long time.

between 03 to 07, i have probably tried 6 different intake/carb combos.

i cant stop thinking about trying a mod man with 2 avs style carbs and i would have thought there would have been some feedback on the intake by now but i just dont ever hear any actual tests.

so is there anyone out there that is running the Mod Man? any dyno info to speak of? or shall i be a guinea pig and waste time and money out of shear boredome?
Posted By: go green

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 12:04 AM

Six Pack ..... carburetors ............. Let me get my 10 foot pole out !

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 12:10 AM

Quote:

atleast you replied. thank you
Posted By: tboomer

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 12:16 AM

Hi,Ray! No help but....
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 12:18 AM

yeah, get rid of that six pack setup. it works way too good to leave on there. go ahead and play with something different that'll turn into a tuning nightmare for you. maybe that'll help cure your disease.
Posted By: Old School

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 12:21 AM

i got bored with, and removed the six pack setup about 15 years ago....

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 12:23 AM

Quote:

yeah, get rid of that six pack setup. it works way too good to leave on there. go ahead and play with something different that'll turn into a tuning nightmare for you. maybe that'll help cure your disease.

you need to try to be more supportive. think of all the phone calls you will get if i make a change. Streetwize has been telling me for 5 years that shorter runners are better and my friend keeps telling me to get a SS hood for my car but cant fit one with the six pack
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 12:31 AM

Tell all them doubters to get lost, there jealous because they don't have the fortitude and determination to make odd ball stuff work anybody can make a single four barel work, some can even make two four barrels work, but it takes a real genuis to make three two barrels work It takes a super genuis to make eight two barrels work, maybe that is the real diffenition of a idiot Sixpaks forever
Posted By: 00snake530

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 12:37 AM

Quote:

Posted By: bobby66

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 12:45 AM

Maybe one of those Navarro intakes with the four AFBs would put you where you want to be......
Posted By: Ari440

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 12:46 AM

Quote:

Maybe one of those Navarro intakes with the four AFBs would put you where you want to be......

pics ???
Posted By: LaRoy Engines

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 01:19 AM

Looked at a modman manifold that was to be used in a dyno test. Thought to myself that it looked like it had a water trough for a plenum attached to two flat plates for runners. When they put it on the dyno the engine fell on its face. I was there when they ran it and I think I have something in a magazine if I can find it.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 01:30 AM

Send it to me, I'll cherish it

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 01:35 AM

Quote:

Looked at a modman manifold that was to be used in a dyno test. Thought to myself that it looked like it had a water trough for a plenum attached to two flat plates for runners. When they put it on the dyno the engine fell on its face. I was there when they ran it and I think I have something in a magazine if I can find it.

do you know what size engine it was on? what your saying is what i always thought would happen

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 01:37 AM

Quote:

Send it to me, I'll cherish it

i'm afraid i might find out that the grass isnt greener
Posted By: 383man

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 02:03 AM

This 440 Super Bee runs one on it. He has run 10.40's and it is an Indy motor. He says he likes it alot. I cant seem to find any info on it for the bigblock wedge motors. Ron

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/feature/2011show/east_coast_indoor_nats_2011_al/html/page_7_82.php
Posted By: A57_RT

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 02:07 AM

So many look at the mod man as somthing very different, but look at many modern performance intakes over the years in the oem world.

Big plenum/short runner intakes have been around for a while, for example I think the 86 5.0 stangs was the first year for the big plenum 5.0 manifolds.

Since its been brought up, some outside of the mopar world think its good to have a good supply ready on hand, esp on a stroker motor.

There are formulas to detremine how much plenum volume is needed for a motor.

Ive got my carbs 2.5 inches above the plenum area and it seems to like it. And overall better throttle response and ive added plenum volume with the spacers as well.

As what seems to be the only semi cheap option on a small block its a great improvement.

Whats bothersome is one would think indy would do more then just say its new and different, I would think they more then anyone would have some side by side dyno tests.

Who knows, for BB motors there might be a better intake out there, other then really big money us small block guys have to take what we can get.

There are several on BB cars around Denver and last I know the project six pack A-12 car has a mod man on it.

When setup its a easy manifold to run, as turn key as an oem.

Since most who look at the manifolds first reaction is over the large plenum, can someone outline how important plenum volume is and what it does overall? Good and bad.

Its a simple intake to tune and make run clean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4qwxZ4CZFY

Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 02:24 AM

I'd go with whatever causes DRAM the most pain.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 02:25 AM

Quote:

I'd go with whatever causes DRAM the most pain.

a 12 pack?
Posted By: bobby66

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 02:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

pics ???

Saw it in an old Mopar Action. I'll try to dig it out.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 02:29 AM

Quote:

shall i be a guinea pig and waste time and money out of shear boredome?

of course you should.

besides.....deep down....you know you want to

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 02:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

of course you should.

ah oh, someones working a sale

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 02:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

of course you should.

you in trouble now !!!

this is what I did to fit the weiand tunnle ram

4 inch tall airgrabber scoop

what do you guys think .. cool or cornie

Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 02:37 AM

must be a prison work release program going on in Vermont tonight..even Dwayne pops his head up like a Whack o Mole.....

Just go for it and get it over with....the economy needs you to spend some money.

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 02:44 AM

Dwayne Porter posting on Moparts? holy shiznit, is the world about to collapse or something?

oh, and CompWedge, don't worry he already causes me enough pain.

Ray, get the mod man and put two thermoquads on it. that'll keep you busy for awhile. when you need help, call doc fibergasass he'll fix you right up with his spiffy back door tool.

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 02:44 AM

Quote:

So many look at the mod man as somthing very different, but look at many modern performance intakes over the years in the oem world.

Big plenum/short runner intakes have been around for a while, for example I think the 86 5.0 stangs was the first year for the big plenum 5.0 manifolds.

Since its been brought up, some outside of the mopar world think its good to have a good supply ready on hand, esp on a stroker motor.

There are formulas to detremine how much plenum volume is needed for a motor.

Ive got my carbs 2.5 inches above the plenum area and it seems to like it. And overall better throttle response and ive added plenum volume with the spacers as well.

As what seems to be the only semi cheap option on a small block its a great improvement.

Whats bothersome is one would think indy would do more then just say its new and different, I would think they more then anyone would have some side by side dyno tests.

Mark, you changed your name. an LT1 intake comes to mind when i look at a mod man, i'm not sure about the 5.0 fords, thought they had very long runners

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 02:48 AM

Quote:

Dwayne Porter posting on Moparts? holy shiznit, is the world about to collapse or something?

Ray, get the mod man and put two thermoquads on it. that'll keep you busy for awhile. when you need help, call doc fibergasass he'll fix you right up with his spiffy back door tool.

no you scrapped that plan on the phone last night. i have always loved the AVS

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 02:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

of course you should.

you in trouble now !!!

i think the air grabber poking out of a cowl hood would look better. JMO

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 02:51 AM

Ive read some on the LT1 intake, I posted the question on plenum volume importance as there isnt a whole lot on the web and its vague, but seems there is an importance to it.

The LT1 and mod man are anout the only two talked about other then the ricer intakes.

Your prob right on the 5.0, I just remember the big ext part..

There are alot of choices for you BB guys if you get one just remember its a $500 one fits all type intake and thats what your working with.

At least you would post about it, there are many out there, just not many talking about them.

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 02:55 AM

If its needed, use it ..its still in the mopar theme vs others.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

of course you should.

you in trouble now !!!

i think the air grabber poking out of a cowl hood would look better. JMO

Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 03:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

no you scrapped that plan on the phone last night. i have always loved the AVS

That settles it.......one AVS one Thermoquad.

I would make sure you have a fresh fire extinguisher on hand though

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 03:27 AM

Quote:

That settles it.......one AVS one Thermoquad.

I would make sure you have a fresh fire extinguisher on hand though

i'm thinking more along the lines of a custom top plate......to make it a "12 pak".
a couple of 440 sized AVS's for the "secondary" carbs, and a 340 AVS for the primary carb in the center.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 03:43 AM

How 'bout some 1 barrelz

Attached picture 7038880-GARAGE2021.jpg

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 03:50 AM

anybody have pics of the modman manifold

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 04:00 AM

Attached picture 7038912-INDYmodmans.jpg

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 04:05 AM

Quote:

c'mon Ari.....you know you want one too.

slap it right on those SR's with the 6 pak on top.

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 04:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

c'mon Ari.....you know you want one too.

slap it right on those SR's with the 6 pak on top.

Posted By: Kevins493

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 04:33 AM

Build you a nice crossram motor. Went 10.30s in a 3500# car with a stock intake a couple years ago, 10.04 best with the Indy. Damn thing started and idled better than my stock '73 340 challenger.

Attached picture 7038987-maxwedge.jpg

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 04:41 AM

indy modman manifold

indy bathtub manifold with sixpack top

indy tunnelram with sixpack top

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 04:42 AM

Quote:

Build you a nice crossram motor. Went 10.30s in a 3500# car with a stock intake a couple years ago, 10.04 best with the Indy. Damn thing started and idled better than my stock '73 340 challenger.

do you have a pic of the indy manifold ?
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 04:51 AM

We had to add 100 lb for the 10.04 run at Atco because we didn't want to risk the points hit at the last race if they bounced us. It's just the 440-25 bathtub. Has a bit more in it.
need to resize pic

Attached picture 7039040-cc5.jpg

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 05:02 AM

Quote:

We had to add 100 lb for the 10.04 run at Atco because we didn't want to risk the points hit at the last race if they bounced us. It's just the 440-25 bathtub. Has a bit more in it.
need to resize pic

thank you

how tall is the manifold ?

do you have a side pic ?

how much dos that manifold go for ?
Posted By: MoparDonny

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 07:13 AM

Quote:

Tell all them doubters to get lost, there jealous because they don't have the fortitude and determination to make odd ball stuff work anybody can make a single four barel work, some can even make two four barrels work, but it takes a real genuis to make three two barrels work It takes a super genuis to make eight two barrels work, maybe that is the real diffenition of a idiot Sixpaks forever

A wise man once said............

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 07:26 AM

i have made a decesion......

i can sleep now
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 07:28 AM

Goodnight..

Chris..
Posted By: ppmracing

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 10:02 AM

Go for the six pack,
If you have the carb dont trow them away.We have been using six pack carbs on stock engine race engines and 572 cu stroker engines, and the work awesome. But their is some work and magic that can be done and help out the tuning.

Good luck

Attached picture 7039218-PICT1052.JPG
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 02:04 PM

Quote:

This 440 Super Bee runs one on it. He has run 10.40's and it is an Indy motor. He says he likes it alot. I cant seem to find any info on it for the bigblock wedge motors. Ron

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/feature/2011show/east_coast_indoor_nats_2011_al/html/page_7_82.php

That car is tight. I've seen him run. It's a 4 speed too I think.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 03:27 PM

Ray, Im just stepping into the fire. Im putting a stock set up on the 440 in the Ramcharger. Basically bone stock, but for a guy like me who can screw up just about anything, a learning curve is gonna hit me like a ton of dominators. Im basically doing it for the "cool" factor, and some performance. To be honest I was planning on contacting you on Facebook for some basic tuneing advice, and if you switch everything up, you might loose your sharpened skills on the multi carb set ups, and I would be lost for ever LOL.

Have you talked with Quick77R/T? He has a mod man with a sixpack on a small block stroker and a lot of extra juice plumbed to it as well.

Kasey

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 03:54 PM

Hey Casey...

Yep Rays (SPG) has been a big help in some small ways on my six pack doings.

Ray, ive a BB mod man match ported to the bigger felpro gasket you can play with if you dont mess with the ports. Even got a top plate for the mech carbs.

This is with the added spacer on mine....so far so good, it ran good with the carbs set back to base line settings, adjusted back to old specs, ran perfect.

Only one vid from this install on this A12 car...Seems like they had some bugs to work out....but no more vids then this one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAXRJKCuUxo

Attached picture 7039422-DSC00851.JPG

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 04:01 PM

Quote:

Ray, Im just stepping into the fire. Im putting a stock set up on the 440 in the Ramcharger. Basically bone stock, but for a guy like me who can screw up just about anything, a learning curve is gonna hit me like a ton of dominators. Im basically doing it for the "cool" factor, and some performance. To be honest I was planning on contacting you on Facebook for some basic tuneing advice, and if you switch everything up, you might loose your sharpened skills on the multi carb set ups, and I would be lost for ever LOL.

Have you talked with Quick77R/T? He has a mod man with a sixpack on a small block stroker and a lot of extra juice plumbed to it as well.

Kasey

my six pack wont fit on the mod man. the plenum is not long enough. yes, i talk to quick and another guy regularly with six packs on mod man and they both seem to like the intake but they had a stock intake before

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 04:06 PM

Yep, im sure they might be a better intake for the BB cars, but for the money??? Who knows.

For the small block people its oem, or the mod man or bump it up to a sheet metal.

I will say the oem small block high rise dual plane is a good intake for oem.

I have several top plates Ray, if your mech carbs all have metering plates/blocks they will fit....Let me dig a pic of the plate with manual carbs.

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 07:19 PM

Quote:

i can sleep now

what are you going to use ?

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 07:38 PM

2 650 avs carbs on my sheetmetal ram

going to dyno the six pack vs the sheetmetal ram and maybe if someone will lend me a single intake i could dyno with a single Dom also

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 07:42 PM

i think i've got 3 old rochester two barrels from an old 409 if you want to try that on the mod man. those ought to fit.

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/27/12 07:55 PM

Quote:

i think i've got 3 old rochester two barrels from an old 409 if you want to try that on the mod man. those ought to fit.

i'm also looking for a new engine builder/machinest
Posted By: radar

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/28/12 12:00 AM

I like reading your posts 'gut! Would you have to change your handle to 2Pac Gut? It doesn't have the same ring to it, plus I'm not too much of a 2Pac fan

How about a stock magnum intake? Beer-keg Gut! I'm down with that, but ultimately it's your decision...
Posted By: Dap

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/28/12 01:55 AM

I have a team G std port dominator intake I bought from Dwayne you could use on the dyno.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 01/28/12 02:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

i'm also looking for a new engine builder/machinest

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 02/01/12 03:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

i can sleep now

going to give this a try. will use these carbs on the gen 3 hemi. got to get some new top plates made for both intakes

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 02/01/12 03:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i can sleep now

going to give this a try. will use these carbs on the gen 3 hemi. got to get some new top plates made for both intakes

750s?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: i'm bored with the six pack - 02/01/12 03:58 AM

Quote:

2 650 avs carbs on my sheetmetal ram

going to dyno the six pack vs the sheetmetal ram and maybe if someone will lend me a single intake i could dyno with a single Dom also

You have a PM
© 2024 Moparts Forums