Moparts

Reusing Cometics

Posted By: WadeMetzinger

Reusing Cometics - 01/16/12 02:35 PM

If your going to reuse Cometics, should you resurface your aluminum heads or is that not necessary?

Anyone had issue trying to reuse Cometics?

I don't feel any grooves or indention in the heads caused from the Cometics so I guess it just flatens out the raised sealing rings on the Cometics (I was mistakingly thinking it would leave grooves in the heads like when you O-ring the block).

I've got both of my motors apart (Abbey's and mine), her Cometics are new from last year. Mine are about 3 years old.

Not sure I really want to take a chance but considering it so I wanted to get some opinions from you guys.
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: Reusing Cometics - 01/16/12 03:10 PM

Just clean the gaskets and heads and bolt it back together......
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Reusing Cometics - 01/16/12 03:23 PM

Quote:

and make sure they go back on with the same orientation that they came off. I'm on my 3rd reuse. No spray copper or any sealers, just bolted on

I like the ability reuse gaskets and that's why I chose the materials that I use to make my gaskets with
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: Reusing Cometics - 01/16/12 04:47 PM

I spray mine with copper but I have reused a set 4 times at over 12:1 compression on alcohol
Posted By: racerx

Re: Reusing Cometics - 01/16/12 05:26 PM

Quote:

I spray mine with copper but I have reused a set 4 times at over 12:1 compression on alcohol

y the copper spray just curious?
Posted By: d7cook

Re: Reusing Cometics - 01/16/12 05:43 PM

I reuse them 3 times. Clean the block/heads and the surface of the gasket. Some people drill out the rivets and clean between the individual gaskets but I do not. I wipe them down with thinner which removes what's left of the factory rubber coating, then give them a light spray with copper gasket sealer to seal the water passages and back on they go.
Posted By: robnbird

Re: Reusing Cometics - 01/16/12 06:39 PM

Quote:

do not use a cleaner like carburetor cleaner to clean the gasket. most gaskets have a very thin layer of silicon on the outer surface of the gaskets and some cleaners will wrinkle the sealer.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Reusing Cometics - 01/16/12 06:58 PM

I have reused then several times, with (on customers motors that wanted them sprayed with Copper Coat and Hylomar) and without spraying sealer on them . I don't use any sealer on them on my own motors As already said keep them pointed up on the same side they came off of and go for it
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: Reusing Cometics - 01/16/12 07:36 PM

hello,
anyone want to buy a set for .060 over 440 .049 thick, i will not reused them.
pm me
gary

Re: Reusing Cometics - 01/16/12 08:35 PM

Quote:

hello,
anyone want to buy a set for .060 over 440 .049 thick, i will not reused them.
pm me
gary

Sure......do "your" heads and block come with them
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: Reusing Cometics - 01/16/12 09:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

and make sure they go back on with the same orientation that they came off. I'm on my 3rd reuse. No spray copper or any sealers, just bolted on

I like the ability reuse gaskets and that's why I chose the materials that I use to make my gaskets with

You make head gaskets?
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: Reusing Cometics - 01/16/12 09:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My deck surface does not meet the smoothness criteria for the gasket. If I dont use the copper they seep water to the outside. That and I wouldnt chance it anyway. Too much trouble to take back apart to save myself 5 minutes of spraying.

Re: Reusing Cometics - 01/16/12 10:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You make head gaskets?

No Sir,
Just the soft gaskets like valve cover, intake, oil pan, timing cover, etc, etc.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Reusing Cometics - 01/17/12 04:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My deck surface does not meet the smoothness criteria for the gasket. If I dont use the copper they seep water to the outside. That and I wouldnt chance it anyway. Too much trouble to take back apart to save myself 5 minutes of spraying.

I understand now Thax.......
Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Re: Reusing Cometics - 01/17/12 06:23 PM

Just to let everyone know, I usually use my Cometics several times without issues,spraying them with coppercoat just as insurance.
This year after 3 uses I decided to replace them just as a regular part of my refreshening my motor. I ordered the Mr. Gasket ones which are supposed to be just repackaged Cometics.
The packaging specifically say's to "NOT COAT the gaskets,just clean and bolt on. I decided that I was gona spray them anyway cuz I always do!!!
I don't know if they just changed things or what but the surface of the gaskets are now kind of shiny and will not accept a spray of coppercoat. After drying it easily comes off even with gentle handling!(I did clean them first)
So I installed them with out any coppercoat this year for the first time and will keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.
Mike
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Reusing Cometics - 01/17/12 07:00 PM

The Cometics also say not to use any coating/spray on them, but myself and everyone I know spray them w/ coppercoat.
© 2024 Moparts Forums