Moparts

Anyone use a remote oil filter?

Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/06/12 04:17 AM

I have one of these dual remote oil filters and I nned a new adapter plate for my external oil pickup. I am just wondering if I should use the milodon cover or some how adapt the dual oil filters

Attached picture 7003769-dualremoteoil.jpg
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/06/12 04:29 AM

I only run one filter, but I do run the Milodon pump cover. I'll try to post a picture. Really makes filter changes more pleasant.

Brian Dunnigan

Attached picture 7003788-100_2975.JPG
Posted By: rebel

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/06/12 05:03 AM

mine.

Attached picture 7003842-30-07-10_13321.jpg
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/06/12 05:06 AM

ALL those Xtra lines ? ... NOT ferr me. Keep something like this simple.
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/06/12 05:18 AM

Milodons kit 21525 shows a part you need to run that dual filter set up. I have a new cover with the adapter assembly to run 2 filters like you need. I run a remote with 1 filter.

Here's the link to a milodon page to look at the parts.

http://www.milodon.com/oil-system/chrysler.asp
Posted By: topside

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/06/12 05:34 AM

On the racecar, I run the Moroso remote filter mount and the big Chevy truck 2-quart filter, plumbed with -10 from (Diamond's) fittings in the block. Easy maintenance, plenty of filtration, and an extra quart of oil in the motor that's not in the pan.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/06/12 01:57 PM

Check the oil flow capability on your oil filter.The milodon pumps 19 gpm at idle.More as RPM's come up.If the filter you use has a bypass,it opens and your not filtering because the by-pass is open.I run a duel filter set up with 2 Moroso filters that flow 16 GPM with NO bypass

Attached picture 7004046-2011-09-21_00012.JPG
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/06/12 02:19 PM

Yes use a cvr remote billet mount. Love it easier to change filter and now no oil in my collector.

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/06/12 08:22 PM

this Fram mount has removable top with a screen inside for doing quick checks plus i also installed a magnet. only minutes to check & has been very reassuring to be able to do so.

Attached picture 7004529-30-09-10_23131.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/06/12 10:37 PM

All the stock production, Hi Po and replacement oil filters for both Ford and Mopar V8 have built in bypasses in them I did some oil filter tests on one of my dyno tests years ago, I was looking to gain HP by using more than one stock type Hi Po replacement oil filter on a dual remote oil filter adapter. IHTMS No gains seen using Ford, Mopar oil filters I did test one of the older Oldberg screen type filters and a new single HP6 type remote filter mount with a Wix Brand filter they didn't gain any HP but they didn't lose oil pressure above 5600 RPM like the other remote mounted adapters did I ended up using a Milidon oil pump cover that we had drilled and tapped for 1/2 inch NPT threads and #10 AN fitiings to feed the Oldberg and Fram remote HP6 single filter adapter. I now only use the single remote mounted oil filter adapters that use the HP 6 type oil filters I use #12 AN fittings now instead of the #10 also. Bigger is better on some things
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/07/12 01:48 AM

If you do it to make the filter easier to reach, then yes, they are nice! if you do it to avoid spilling oil at oil change time, don't get one!

when I mounted mine, that was the first thing I thought, "hey, now I don't have to worry about trying to catch oil as it dribbles off the filter and all over the place" you know, how sometimes it streams straight down, other times it runs down the filter first, or a combo of both, then as you spin the filter off the rest of the way you get oil all over your hands...

but, even with it mounted "verticle" there's still oil "on top" of the filter that drains out when you remove the filter. if anything, THAT made a bigger mess than the stock location.

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/07/12 03:40 AM

Brand

Fram

Manufacturer's Part Number

HP6

Part Type

Oil Filters

Product Line

Fram HP Series Oil Filters

Summit Racing Part Number

FRM-HP6

Oil Filter Style

Canister

Height (in)

6.688 in.

Outside Diameter (in)

4.625 in.

Filter Bypass Relief Valve

Yes

Relief Valve Open (psi)

22 psi

Anti-Drainback Valve

No

Smallest Particle Filtered

12 microns

Maximum Burst Pressure (psi)

400 psi

Thread Size

1 1/2-12 in. UNF-2B

Gasket Outside Diameter (in)

4.250 in.

Gasket Inside Diameter (in)

3.625 in.

Gasket Thickness (in)

0.344 in.

Quantity

Sold individually.

Please note,BYPASS OPENS @ 22 PSI
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/07/12 03:50 AM

I cut the Wix racing oil filter apart that I used on the new 505 motor that I dyno tested last month, it is the same type as the HP6, and it did have a bypass in it on the bottom I didn't know that it would bypass at 22 lbs I thought, before I cut it apart, that it was a non bypass filter like the GM are Oh well, back to the drawing boards

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/07/12 04:11 AM

The fram filter flows 20 GPM,my 100 year old milodon oil pump flows 19 GPM at an idle.I use a double oil filter set up with Moroso white filters that have NO BYPASS!!

Most of the time the bypass is open with the fram filter,not filtering 85% of the oil

Like Fred says,,,,,,,,,,don't ask me how I KNOW
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/07/12 05:11 AM

Quote:

Most of the time the bypass is open with the fram filter,not filtering 85% of the oil

wrong.it does not open unless there is 22 lb of resistance to the oil flow. It could also opened from a blocked filter or thick oil due to low temperature. if it didn't then oil flow to the enginewould stop. better unfiltered than none
Posted By: 68cuda2003

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/07/12 02:22 PM

Has anyone tried the K&N filters? Just asking????
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/07/12 02:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

wrong.it does not open unless there is 22 lb of resistance to the oil flow. It could also opened from a blocked filter or thick oil due to low temperature. if it didn't then oil flow to the enginewould stop. better unfiltered than none

I hear what you're saying, but...isn't "pressure" a "resistance" to flow? so if you're reading 30psi at idle, then you have 30psi worth of "flow resistance" Right?

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong... if the WHOLE system has 30 psi in it, from the pump to the sending unit, then there should be a "zero PSI" differential across the filter, and it's not in bypass... but if the filter became clogged, then while your gauge reads 40 at cruise, your clogged filter may actually have 80 psi on the "pump side" of it, and with the differential of 40 psi, the filter goes into bypass?

I have to say, 20 psi for a bypass to open seems stupid low, since most cars oil systems are a 30-75psi system.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/07/12 02:56 PM

WEAR is ole CS ? ... he must have a link to something about this topic ...
Posted By: dmking

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/07/12 05:49 PM

i would say the spring inside the filters bypass needs xxx psi to open reguardless of system psi. that would be how much push is on it from the oil flowing agenst it while trying to go through the media.
if you have a bypass i my self like the wix with it in the front so it does not clean all the crap the filter caught. some of the others that bypass from the back and the oil flows past the dirt and resuspends it.
i hope the hp6 is a better filter than the hp1 and 2 i know a couple of people that the ph filters crack and blow oil out or colapse.
i my self stay away from fram on anything important.

all this is how i think of it. i have cut a lot of filters apart to see how cheep they are and how they bypass.

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/07/12 08:26 PM

i've been running the HP6 for a while now, when we've changed filters we always cut the old one open just so we've got something to look at while we're having a beer. the filtration media is huge, it has so much capacity for catching debris we only change filters twice a season. the by pass valve never looks like it's been open on any of our cut open filters. the seat although is set at 20 is rather hard to force open with your finger & in most cases feels like the first time it has opened when we push on it as it feels easier second time round. i'm sure if it does by pass we'd have seen a flucutation on the data logger since it reads after the filter & a blockage of the filter would be apparent when the engines hot at idle.
Posted By: 72chrgrally

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/07/12 08:33 PM

Hey Rob I have a CV products filter housing and a System1 filter. I like the ability to pull it apart and inspect the filter element.
Steve
Posted By: chryco

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/07/12 08:41 PM

Quote:

Has anyone tried the K&N filters? Just asking????

I have had no problems so far with them .

Posted By: tubtar

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/08/12 12:19 AM

Any experience with one of these ?
Can the be used as a primary filter on a wet sump application ?
I have used the dual filter ( Fram PH-8's ) set up in the past , but it was a show and tell piece more than a performance enhancer.
But I got one of these on the cheap and like the notion of a re-usable filter and ease of inspection.
http://cvproducts.com/ProdDet.aspx?PN=CAN25-106

Attached picture 7006530-25-106.jpg

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/08/12 04:18 AM

What happens to an oil filter with a bypass that's rated at 20 GPM when it gets hit with over 20GPM???
After my 1st lifter failure,there was contamination throughout the entire oiling system embedding in all the bearings.That's when I did my homework on oil filters and changed to a non-bypass style filters.The Moroso filters flow 16 GPM each.My second lifter failure resulted in no contamination getting past the oil filters.

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/08/12 05:06 AM

When I went back to Lou Vignogna after the 1st lifter failure to rebuild the hemi,Jimi Vignogna told me to use these in the oil pick up lines

Attached picture 7007151-ear-230312erl_w.jpg
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/09/12 01:00 AM

I have a Pure Power remote on both cars.

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/19/12 12:22 AM

Jim,could you share your experience with that oul filter,I curious how long you have used it,what is flows and how you clean it
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Anyone use a remote oil filter? - 01/19/12 12:44 AM

Quote:

Jim,could you share your experience with that oul filter,I curious how long you have used it,what is flows and how you clean it

Had it for a couple years on my Cuda'. Works well, so we put one on my Dart too....

When I change the oil, I just unscrew the housing and slip out the filter, wash it in solvent, then soap and hot water, then only with water and blow it dry. It's small and easy to package.

Go to Pure Power's site and check em' out. It has alot of info.
© 2024 Moparts Forums