Moparts

who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room

Posted By: ALKYW5DART

who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/26/11 09:49 PM

i need to push my rearend back on my 71 dart for tire clearence, who has done this and does it affect traction or should i cut the rear quarter in front of tire and keep rearend in stock location thanks guys
Posted By: dragram440

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/26/11 10:00 PM

I moved my rear end back on my b body with no issues. Just like 3/4" or so. gets the tire in the center of the wheel well.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/26/11 10:08 PM

Quote:

i need to push my rearend back on my 71 dart for tire clearence, who has done this and does it affect traction or should i cut the rear quarter in front of tire and keep rearend in stock location thanks guys

How much do you need to move it
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/26/11 10:15 PM

I moved the rear back in my Valiant 1" when we did the spring relocation. Not a big deal, but you may need to lengthen the driveshaft.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/26/11 10:16 PM

Quote:

Don't extend the wheel base backwards It is not hard to do a nice job on the front edge of the wheelwells on those year(1967to1973) Darts, I have done it with a If anything move it forward some when your doing the wheelwells
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/26/11 10:17 PM

Mine is moved back 1"
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/26/11 10:19 PM

I moved mine 2.5" forward when we built my car. Moved the front forward .75".
Posted By: moparniac

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/26/11 10:30 PM

I beat the front lips in some is all I did on my 71 and the lips are rolled! the easiest way is prolly the offset block! some weld the holes shut on the perches and re drill there... I run a 315 radial though.

http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/blo-0-gm6072.htm
Posted By: rebel

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/26/11 11:09 PM

cut n fold

Attached picture 6985552-DSC00144.jpg
Posted By: DragDart360

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/26/11 11:34 PM

Mine are moved back 1" 29 X 10 slicks
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 12:15 AM

Stock spring hangers?

Cut some plate thickness that you need to move it that looks like an E and slide it between front hanger and frame. You can also get thinner plate and stack them.

I made some offset hangers and installed bolts long enough to move the rear 1" + back using the above method.
Posted By: caper

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 12:19 AM

I moved my rear back 1 1/2 in.

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 01:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

about 3/4 of an inch

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 01:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

about 3/4 of an inch

You can put 3/4" plates in front of your front hangers
and then (if you want) put a set of sliders on the
rear to eliminate the shackles... it wont hurt your
weight distribution bad enough to hurt in traction
Posted By: Super Scamp

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 01:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

about 3/4 of an inch

Mine is moved 3/4" My setup BB Dana 4-link Alum.3.5 shaft 55 1/2 long with Glide. Also when building the back half I used 33 x 16.5 x 15 to do the setup in. Just incase I need to run a BIG Tire setup with 604" motor.

Attached picture 6985766-P3090005.JPG
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 01:31 AM

back? I have a buddy that ran a 67 Valiant for years. he moved the rear forward 2 or 3"..of course it was tubbed. I had a 68 Dart I trimmed the front of each wheel opening o I could get the slicks on and off easier.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 02:36 AM

Quote:

back? I have a buddy that ran a 67 Valiant for years. he moved the rear forward 2 or 3"..of course it was tubbed. I had a 68 Dart I trimmed the front of each wheel opening o I could get the slicks on and off easier.

Yes 'back', if you look at Dragdart360's photo you can see how nice it looks moved back because it also fills the rear opening of the quarter panel some. Moving forward 2 or 3 inches would look goofy unless it was a 35" tall tire.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 02:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes 'back', if you look at Dragdart360's photo you can see how nice it looks moved back because it also fills the rear opening of the quarter panel some. Moving forward 2 or 3 inches would look goofy unless it was a 35" tall tire.

It was a big tire car...9.50's It was done more for weight distro and traction not for looks. I think the engine was moved back as well.

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 02:49 AM

If you wanted to move it forward the only real way
is to cut the quarter and slide the front forward...
moving it forward does help in the weight bias and
transfer

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 03:32 AM

Quote:

Mine is moved back 1"

what size tire are you running and any better pics of side view thanks
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 03:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Mine is moved back 1"

29.5X 10.5. no sorry

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 03:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

about 3/4 of an inch

You can put 3/4" plates in front of your front hangers
and then (if you want) put a set of sliders on the
rear to eliminate the shackles... it wont hurt your
weight distribution bad enough to hurt in traction

mine has the spring relocation kit done i am trying to fit a 30.5x11.0 on a 12" wheel, i would have to weld up the hole on the rearend perch and redrill 3/4" forward . i talked to caltracs they said it wouldn't hurt anything if i did it that way thanks guys
Posted By: DaKuda

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 04:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mine is moved back 1"

29.5X 10.5. no sorry

I could be wrong but it looks to me like the quarter panel on your car has been cut as well as the rear moved back...?
Posted By: justinp61

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 04:09 AM

Before I mini tubbed mine I had a 1/2" plate sandwiched between the hanger and mount. Any more will require the studs be knocked out and longer bolts used. When I mini tubbed mine I moved it back 1", it looks much better than before with the tire more centered. It's gone 1.38 60' with a pump gas small block, so I wouldn't worry about giving up anything.
Posted By: dmking

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 05:14 AM

when i got my car painted i moved the front of my wheel wells front.
we cut from the middle of the wheel well up to the body line on the duster then front to the door. we could get away with cutting about 1 1/4" off the front of the piece we cut out. then rewelded it in ans welded in a piece on top of the wheel well to make up the amount it moved front. with 6.5"back space and the wells moved into the frame i have 30"x 10.5 slicks under the car.
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 05:52 AM

Wouldnt the best way to move everything back be a plate (like pictured above in the link) to move the rear back on the springs and make the front segment longer? Rather than simply moving the front mount back and creating potential problems in the rear mount geometry?

Attached picture 6986226-BLO-0-GM6072-2.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 08:38 AM

Quote:

Wouldnt the best way to move everything back be a plate (like pictured above in the link) to move the rear back on the springs and make the front segment longer? Rather than simply moving the front mount back and creating potential problems in the rear mount geometry?

Have you looked at the rear shackle angles on any stock A bodys they are not real good from the factory for drag racing, there almost straight up and down when sitting still Moving the spring back increases that angle in a positive manner I have put a 1/2 inch spacer in between the rear shackle hangar and the sub frame to make that angle better with the SS springs in the stock location
Posted By: dragram440

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 02:56 PM

You have to move the back accordingly with the front to keep the angles correct.
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 03:24 PM

Quote:

This is how I got the last 1/2" I needed. I redrilled the wholes in the spring buckets years ago to fit 28/12.5/15 Quick time pros and then offset the mount like in the picture to get a 295/65/15 drag radial in there. You will have a problem with a factory wheel tub fitting a 30" tall tire will hit at the back of the tub. I think a 29.5 is the tallest you can fit with getting out a hammer or cutting out some metal on the facory wheel tub. This is a front to back issue not a side to side issue.
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 05:42 PM

I used a E-body front hanger, just had to drill the hole out a-little bit and it was right at an inch longer. It worked great and put the wheel in the center of the wheel well.
Posted By: GTSDave

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 05:49 PM

Quote:

Wouldnt the best way to move everything back be a plate (like pictured above in the link)

Who Sells those? I am using an A body rear end in my 51 and need to move it back an inch or so for a little more tire clearance. That looks like just the ticket.

-Dave
Posted By: PolyDart

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 06:06 PM

I ordered my CalTrac monoleafs drilled to locate the axle 1" back. The car hooks great with no issues.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 06:32 PM

Quote:

I used a E-body front hanger, just had to drill the hole out a-little bit and it was right at an inch longer. It worked great and put the wheel in the center of the wheel well.

Never thought of that. Brillant!
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 07:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wouldnt the best way to move everything back be a plate (like pictured above in the link)

Who Sells those? I am using an A body rear end in my 51 and need to move it back an inch or so for a little more tire clearance. That looks like just the ticket.

-Dave

Afco sells a adj set, I just had a set made out of billet alum.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 08:31 PM

For those of you who did move your axle back 1" AND run a stock fuel tank, is the clearance between the back of the axle housing and the tank a bit cozy? Contemplating moving one on a future build and running a Dana 60 - wondering if the rear axle cover will hit the stock fuel tank or sending unit, etc...
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: who has pushed the rear back on a dart for tire room - 12/27/11 08:42 PM

i stretched my fenders discreetly and moved it forward. i figured, hey, i'm gonna move my axle to make my weight distribution worse? nah, i'll move it FORWARD. one of the best moves i made on the ol' scamp.
© 2024 Moparts Forums