Moparts

FLUID DAMPER COATING???

Posted By: Labratt

FLUID DAMPER COATING??? - 12/20/11 05:53 AM

I've got a fluid damper on my 440 that needs to be re-finished...paints peeling off. Would an epoxy paint be a good choice? What have you guys used for durable...long-lasting results?I don't believe it can be powder coated,because of the heat factor! Thanks in advance!

Re: FLUID DAMPER COATING??? - 12/20/11 03:56 PM

Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: FLUID DAMPER COATING??? - 12/20/11 03:59 PM

powder coat it.....
I cant see why it would have more heat that the valve covers or intake....actually less IMO
Posted By: Clanton

Re: FLUID DAMPER COATING??? - 12/20/11 04:02 PM

i just used crylon/rustolium rattle can after cleaning good/prep.

Re: FLUID DAMPER COATING??? - 12/20/11 04:09 PM

Bob..I haven't called QC Coatings YET,to ask them if powder coating is feasable. I was thinking heat from the process would damage the silicone fluid inside...but they'll be able to tell me that! Powder coating would be my 1st choice for it! I just thought I'd get some opinions first. Thanks,guys!
Posted By: Stanton

Re: FLUID DAMPER COATING??? - 12/20/11 04:24 PM

Quote:

I don't believe it can be powder coated,because of the heat factor!

I don't know what make yours is but some are tig welded together with the fluid in them so I can't see the heat affecting them.

If you do powder coat it make damn sure you tape off the bore 'cause you'll never get the powder off afterwards.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: FLUID DAMPER COATING??? - 12/20/11 04:28 PM

I sanded mine down real good and used some rattle can black engine paint.

Re: FLUID DAMPER COATING??? - 12/20/11 04:34 PM

Thanks,Stanton..Chip! I painted the Fluidamper with rattle can paint when I swapped cams 3 yrs. ago..peeling off badly! Stanton,I will emphasize to QC to NOT get it in the bore. They know what they're doing,though!...they're knowledgable car guys!
Posted By: Clanton

Re: FLUID DAMPER COATING??? - 12/20/11 04:51 PM

you can flame over the rattle can paint with a burns o matic torch quickly and help hardin the paint.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: FLUID DAMPER COATING??? - 12/20/11 05:07 PM

Quote:

I've got a fluid damper on my 440 that needs to be re-finished...paints peeling off. Would an epoxy paint be a good choice? What have you guys used for durable...long-lasting results?I don't believe it can be powder coated,because of the heat factor! Thanks in advance!

its all in how you prep the suface,painting is painting.i painted mine with single stage urethane 7 years ago,still looks good.SURFACE PREP!
Posted By: dvw

Re: FLUID DAMPER COATING??? - 12/21/11 02:18 AM

I paint all my motors with single stage urethane. My Max Wedge had the Fluid Damper painted orange. Heck I even bondoed the Cross Ram. It looked like orange glass. Still on my buddys car 15 years latter,looks like new.
Doug
© 2024 Moparts Forums