Moparts

Bad rollover after run , driver loses his life

Posted By: bigdad

Bad rollover after run , driver loses his life - 12/19/11 06:50 AM

But , it was a long .. long time ago

Posted By: quick77rt

Re: Bad rollover after run , driver loses his life - 12/19/11 07:43 AM

Reverse lockout or glasses might of saved the day.

Does the "reverse" cause make sense by todays standards???

Would the rear wheels lockup at that speed coasting???

Im only wondering because ive messed up on my 66 charger years ago and hit reverse coasting at 60 on the highway and just stalled the motor?
Posted By: sshemi

Re: Bad rollover after run , driver loses his life - 12/19/11 08:33 AM

The wheels do lock. I did rhis i a Valiant a few years back and smashed into a steel fence at about 100mph. NO Injuries at all!!!!
I did this cause of the shifter linkage was out of adjustment
Aldough the tranny lost reverse but i never looked at hat was wrong with it
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Bad rollover after run , driver loses his life - 12/19/11 01:07 PM

So sorry to hear this.
IMO it is so stupid to put a car in nutreul when going through the lights. Accidents like this is why. I doin't care what kind of lock out your shifter has, it's bad and dangerous idea.
Pushing in the clutch is a different deal all together.

BTW it was one of the things Frank Haley taught us not to do when I went to his drag racing school.

Someone said it helps keep the the car from overheating?? BS
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Bad rollover after run , driver loses his life - 12/19/11 02:20 PM

Sad story of an unfortunate case of driver error. A reminder for the rest of us to be extra cautious.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but one line by the author really irritates. It just doesn't seem appropriate or necessary: "He purchased the $7,000 death car in June."

A sorry effort at sensationalism, perhaps?
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Bad rollover after run , driver loses his life - 12/19/11 03:00 PM

I agree very inappropriate. Looks like it was a 64 Hemi car. I believe those had aluminum doors. You have to wonder if the door would have been steel would the result been the same. I six point roll bar and 5 point harness would have saved his life. Very sad.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Bad rollover after run , driver loses his life - 12/19/11 03:13 PM

"...pushed the reverse gear button by mistake..." sounds like this was a push button shift car. Do these have any reverse lockout feature from the factory? Is this still a potential hazard today for a push button trans car?
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Bad rollover after run , driver loses his life - 12/19/11 04:50 PM

Quote:

I can't quite put my finger on it, but one line by the author really irritates. It just doesn't seem appropriate or necessary: "He purchased the $7,000 death car in June."

I noticed that too, I suppose in that time drag racing was still frowned upon ..
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Bad rollover after run , driver loses his life - 12/19/11 05:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I noticed that too, I suppose in that time drag racing was still frowned upon ..

Saw that too. I used to race one of those "death cars".

Attached picture 6974341-64Dodge.jpg
Posted By: Max Wedge Savoy

Re: Bad rollover after run , driver loses his life - 12/19/11 07:27 PM

Quote:

"...pushed the reverse gear button by mistake..." sounds like this was a push button shift car. Do these have any reverse lockout feature from the factory? Is this still a potential hazard today for a push button trans car?

No. The only lockout is when the park lever is down in the park position.
Posted By: Darryls-Demon

Re: Bad rollover after run , driver loses his life - 12/20/11 05:09 AM

What year did that happen?
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Bad rollover after run , driver loses his life - 12/20/11 06:21 AM

Quote:

So sorry to hear this.
IMO it is so stupid to put a car in nutreul when going through the lights. Accidents like this is why. I doin't care what kind of lock out your shifter has, it's bad and dangerous idea.
Pushing in the clutch is a different deal all together.

BTW it was one of the things Frank Haley taught us not to do when I went to his drag racing school.

Someone said it helps keep the the car from overheating?? BS

From a drivers point of view, it is a safety issue not to put the car into neutral, because of the possibility of shifting into reverse.

From an engine builders point of view, you want to put the trans in neutral as you are lifting the throttle to protect the connecting rods - high RPM's and no load is when the rods are stressed the most and most likely to fail.

This is why many current valve bodies and shifters are reverse pattern, shifting away from park/reverse, and add a neutral at the rear of the pattern to make it pretty much impossible to hit reverse (or park) and still protect the rods.

Re: Bad rollover after run , driver loses his life - 12/20/11 03:30 PM

IMO, there was no need to pull that car out of gear. Ran those epeeds. Never had a rod problem.

Re: Bad rollover after run , driver loses his life - 12/21/11 04:48 AM

Quote:

IMO, there was no need to pull that car out of gear. Ran those epeeds. Never had a rod problem.

Apples to onions unless you ran those speeds back then - the accident happened in 1964. It would have been a lot more important then to protect the connecting rods back then - there were no Carillo, Eagle, Manley, etc. rods a credit card away in the mid 60's. Rod failures were common then - even getting good bolts were a luxury. And many trophy class racers commonly used the lightest rods they could find just for that little edge in HP and to help them rev just that little bit quicker.
Posted By: gregsrt

Re: Bad rollover after run , driver loses his life - 12/21/11 05:05 AM

That was in Alberta. I sold a 64 Dodge 330 post car to a guy from there a couple of years back. He said he had all the newspaper clippings from the crash. It happened when he was a kid. He bought my car to make a clone of that car. Not sure if he's started on it yet but he was pretty passionate about reproducing that car.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Bad rollover after run , driver loses his life - 12/21/11 02:44 PM

Tragic story. and yes, a 727 will lock up the rear wheels when shifted into reverse while driving at speed. happened to me. was driving along and my coil was going out, breaking down as the heat was building up, so I was getting popping, backfiring, etc. under load. while driving I was still trying to figure out what was going on...in neutral, it would rev and run just fine, sounded great. in gear it was surging and bucking. in my frustrated haste, I shifted from Drive to Neutral, with the intention of reving the engine to "clear it out" as that was seemingly helping for a little bit (again, I was still trying to figure out what was going on) I accidentally went too far and into reverse, locked up the rear wheels for about a second and a half. car got a little sideways, but not too bad, got it into neutral and coasted for a bit to gather myself up after freaking out (happened with a car coming at me in the other lane! imagine that...rears locked up, back end starts to step out, and you see a car coming at you 100 yards away and closing at 110 mph!)

anyway. I only did that once!

Re: Bad rollover after run , driver loses his life - 12/21/11 03:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Apples to onions unless you ran those speeds back then - the accident happened in 1964. It would have been a lot more important then to protect the connecting rods back then - there were no Carillo, Eagle, Manley, etc. rods a credit card away in the mid 60's. Rod failures were common then - even getting good bolts were a luxury. And many trophy class racers commonly used the lightest rods they could find just for that little edge in HP and to help them rev just that little bit quicker.

Yes, back then with stock max wedge rods and bolts. Maybe I was just lucky

Re: Bad rollover after run , driver loses his life - 12/21/11 04:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You might have been using a little more "user friendly" gear ratio and a tighter converter, too. Stock rods that tolerate tall tires and a 4.10 may become "alergic" to shorter tires and 5.38's.

Re: Bad rollover after run , driver loses his life - 12/21/11 05:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You might have been using a little more "user friendly" gear ratio and a tighter converter, too. Stock rods that tolerate tall tires and a 4.10 may become "alergic" to shorter tires and 5.38's.

Tighter convertor for sure. 4.48 gears.
© 2024 Moparts Forums