Moparts

SFI Roll Bar Padding or not for a street vehicle?

Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

SFI Roll Bar Padding or not for a street vehicle? - 12/17/11 04:22 AM

I figured you guys would know best on the differences with materials in roll bar padding.

Obviously I won't be driving around with a helmet on, but I plan on putting some better belts in the vehicle and padding the aftermarket cage. "Just in case" something goes south, something is better than nothing around the bars.

Price aside, should I look into buying SFI padding or is the non-SFI padding going to hold up just as well?

What about longevity as far as the sun beating on it?

Other suggestions?

Thanks-

Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: SFI Roll Bar Padding or not for a street vehicle? - 12/17/11 04:25 AM

The SFI padding is surprisingly hard.

For a more streetable ride where your looking to pad from bumping your head as you get out I would opt for the non SFI stuff.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: SFI Roll Bar Padding or not for a street vehicle? - 12/17/11 04:29 AM

Quote:

For a more streetable ride where your looking to pad from bumping your head as you get out I would opt for the non SFI stuff.

That is sort of what I expected, given you would be wearing a helmet in a rig that requires SFI padding. So it'd be a little more dense. Good to know!

Are all brands about the same? I wouldn't imagine there are too many different manufactures of the stuff.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: SFI Roll Bar Padding or not for a street vehicle? - 12/17/11 04:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That is sort of what I expected, given you would be wearing a helmet in a rig that requires SFI padding. So it'd be a little more dense. Good to know!

Are all brands about the same? I wouldn't imagine there are too many different manufactures of the stuff.

Yeah they're all the same... very dense and stiff...
plus on a radius it doesnt like to stick well so you
would end up using a tie wrap to secure it(at least
I did)... I wont be using SFI padding on my Rampage
since it wont be sub 10.0
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: SFI Roll Bar Padding or not for a street vehicle? - 12/17/11 04:37 AM

Not to disagree with WildBill at all, but the density question reminds me of the old college 'safety cars' that had 12" soft foam padding on the dashes. at anything over 15 miles an hour, it was the same as none at all.
I agree that anything designed for a helmet is probably too hard, but it will deform and be better than no padding or stuff that's too soft. Let's face it, that's a steel baseball bat swinging at your head.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: SFI Roll Bar Padding or not for a street vehicle? - 12/17/11 04:44 AM

If you're not worried about SFI , check out any plumbing supply house for pipe insulation.
Much cheaper , but I think you are severely limited in color choice.
I used it on a car years back and it worked fine.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: SFI Roll Bar Padding or not for a street vehicle? - 12/17/11 07:38 PM

You would be fine with these

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KIR-99001/
© 2024 Moparts Forums