Moparts

small block vs. big block weight?

Posted By: domingo

small block vs. big block weight? - 12/16/11 05:02 PM

How much would a stock block 340 with w2 iron heads and aluminum intake weigh

vs.

a stock block 440 with aluminum heads and aluminum intake?
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/16/11 06:30 PM

Don't know the total but I got tired of hearing the BS about how close in weight the blocks are and through a 400 block on a scale just now and the bare block and caps weighs 220# while a 360 roller block with caps is 165# on the same scale.

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/16/11 06:35 PM

And in case you are wondering a 596 head (assembled) weighs 50# and a 516 head (assembled) weighs 48#
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/16/11 06:39 PM

I have always heard a bb with aluminum heads weighs the same as an all iron sb
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/16/11 06:40 PM

What year block, my older 71 360-s are near 180 and my x blocks are over 215 with the 4 bolt caps, however id like to try a better scale, a digi home scale I dont feel is super accurate th way the weight is spread out.

I never ask the weight of big blocks, just see how much the yard gives me for the cast iron.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/16/11 06:47 PM

Quote:

I never ask the weight of big blocks, just see how much the yard gives me for the cast iron.

Big-Blocks rule!
Posted By: dogdays

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/16/11 06:50 PM

I think you're misremembering the point, Dave, that an RB bare block weighs about the same as a B bare block.

I can't remember anyone here on this board trying to say that a 440 weighs as much as a 360. Now if the 360 is factory stock and the 440 has as many aluminum parts on it and lightweight reciprocating assembly, then they're probably close...but stock-to-stock the 440 weighs more than 100# more according to all the published data.

R.

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/16/11 06:56 PM

Quote:

I think you're misremembering the point, Dave, that an RB bare block weighs about the same as a B bare block.

I can't remember anyone here on this board trying to say that a 440 weighs as much as a 360. Now if the 360 is factory stock and the 440 has as many aluminum parts on it and lightweight reciprocating assembly, then they're probably close...but stock-to-stock the 440 weighs more than 100# more according to all the published data.

R.

Thats my thoughts too---Take a 440 and use AL heads/intake/waterpump housing and you're talking SB weight. Not sure if a lighter recip weight is going to help that much in the overall weight (maybe) but it can't hurt!

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/16/11 07:49 PM

How can you even think it is fair to compare a BB with a bunch of $$$ tied up in aluminum stuff but saddle the SB with all the factory iron. If you want to make it fair then give the SB aluminum heads also.

Also just weighed cranks, 400 cast crank (the lightest BB crank) 63#

360 crank (heaviest SB crank) 57#

6# rotateing weight is a lot more important to going fast than 6# static weight BTW

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/16/11 07:53 PM

69 440 HP block, no main caps and .060 over is 215# add all that metal back on and it will definately be more than the 400 by at least 10# and have a heavier crank.

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/16/11 08:08 PM

Quote:

How can you even think it is fair to compare a BB with a bunch of $$$ tied up in aluminum stuff but saddle the SB with all the factory iron. If you want to make it fair then give the SB aluminum heads also.

Also just weighed cranks, 400 cast crank (the lightest BB crank) 63#

360 crank (heaviest SB crank) 57#

6# rotateing weight is a lot more important to going fast than 6# static weight BTW

The comparison is strictly WEIGHT (Not $$$), Obviously a SB with AL goodies would be lighter yet----duh.

Yes Rotating weight is more important---NEWSFLASH--RECIPROCATING weight is even More important than rotating.
But only the static weight of the assembly is germane to the issue at hand.
Posted By: StrokerAspen

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/16/11 08:14 PM

Quote:

vs.

I haven't weighed any of my stuff, but I would guess they aren't far off of each other. My W2's feel pretty heavy!

I think my combo would probably weigh close to the same as a big block with iron heads, but I am using a tall deck R3 now.

-Kenny
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/16/11 08:20 PM

Quote:

vs.

Rule of thumb is 100# different as said for stock to
stock... with a stock SB at 500#... take off about
15# for the intake thats about 485#.. a 440 stock is
about 600# so take off about 35# for heads and another
15# for the intake, you have about 550#... just all
rough weights... if you were to change the W-2 heads
you can knock off 40# more
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/16/11 08:22 PM

I went from a 440 with aluminm heads to my small block with aluminum heads,and lost 70 lbs. Both were similarly equipped(headers,motor plate,etc.)

Keith

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/16/11 09:57 PM

I am asking because Id like to know if it would make much of a difference handling to go from a stock stroke 440 with all the aluminum goodies, to a 340 stroker with w2 heads and aluminum intake.

I have the 440 ready and assembled, and I also have the parts to build a 340 stroker with the w2 heads but its all apart....

I was just thinking out loud.

Domingo
Posted By: fishy340

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/16/11 10:03 PM

100lbs give or take 5 lbs! As far as handeling goes thats a huge difference..ps plus the w2 headed 340 will make more power...
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/16/11 10:14 PM

Quote:

vs.

no idea what they weigh but I know which one will make the most power.

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/16/11 10:16 PM

Quote:

100lbs give or take 5 lbs! As far as handeling goes thats a huge difference..ps plus the w2 headed 340 will make more power...

thanks I needed a good laugh

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/16/11 11:13 PM

If by "all the aluminum goodies" you mean water pump and housing also then there is gonna be less than 20# differance and the advantage may actually go to the BB because the weight will be slightly lower, either way it will be very slightly different. As for witch one makes more power it will depend on more than just saying aluminum BB heads VS W2, a stage V is aluminum but so is a stealth and a good W2 can make more HP than a stock stealth head so we would need to know more about the two combos.
Posted By: ademon

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/16/11 11:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

vs.

well we know its not your 440-6 from your ET

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/17/11 12:46 AM

Its a sotck stroke 440 with bowl blended and port matched stealths. rpm intake. all auminum goodies, and a MP .528 solid cam. 750 cfm holley

The 340 would be stroked to 416 and the heads would be done by Ryan at Shady Dell. Victor Jr intake and probably the same ,528 MP cam but for a small block (i already have the cam). 750 cfm holley.
Posted By: cbarracuda

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/17/11 01:04 AM

Quote:

Posted By: emarine01

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/17/11 01:10 AM

If ya let Ryan pick the cam ..... The small block will kick butt over the big block
Posted By: chryco

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/17/11 01:12 AM

Quote:

I have always heard a bb with aluminum heads weighs the same as an all iron sb

Yup ! This one`s a 557"

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/17/11 01:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

vs.

yeah put a 340 in my car and see what it will run. I'm guessing I'm around 600 at the crank. It will take a lot of work to pull those #'s w/ a stock stroke 340. Not to mention a ton of RPM and it still won't have as much torque. and I haven't run it 100% yet...
As for weight the BB is always going to be 75-100lbs heavier than and equal S/B. I'd guess an iron headed 340 vs a BB w/ aluminum parts would be close, probably still lighter. I'd run what you have and see if you like it. The BB will make more torque and HP quicker and you won't have to run as many rpms.

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/17/11 02:12 AM

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/17/11 02:21 AM

Quote:

yeah that was said before. however I'd still LOVE to see a stock stroke 340 w/ as little work as I have run anywhere close to 11's in a 3900+ car on stock leafs, 3.91 and radials.
So if any of you SB guys want to try it I'll buy ya your favorite case of brew.oh and it will be in the 11.0-teen range come spring.

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/17/11 02:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-_--kAWRwk&feature=player_detailpage this is alot of rpm mr yuck...hmmmmmmmm i'd say 5800

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/17/11 02:29 AM

that was with 3000 stall,it went 80's when i went to 3500 stall

Quote:

Quote:

yeah that was said before. however I'd still LOVE to see a stock stroke 340 w/ as little work as I have run anywhere close to 11's in a 3900+ car on stock leafs, 3.91 and radials.
So if any of you SB guys want to try it I'll buy ya your favorite case of brew.oh and it will be in the 11.0-teen range come spring.

I was just messing with you. If those 11 teens are NA in a 3900 + car, then congratulations because you have a good running 440

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-_--kAWRwk&feature=player_detailpage this is alot of rpm mr yuck...hmmmmmmmm i'd say 5800

dude that's great for the 1/8! just kidding of course. apples and oranges, my engine in that car would run 10.40 or better.

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/17/11 02:30 AM

Posted By: justinp61

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/17/11 02:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You sound just like the Chevy guys around here. I'll run your stock 318 Dart heads up in my big tire Camaro, 540, 500 shot of nitrous and $500 that says I win if you give me the leave.

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/17/11 02:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You sound just like the Chevy guys around here. I'll run your stock 318 Dart heads up in my big tire Camaro, 540, 500 shot of nitrous and $500 that says I win if you give me the leave.

How's that bro? you are comparing apples and onions. I never said I couldn't get beat by a sb. Anything can be fast. A few have made comment on how slow my junk is, and that a SB is better. So step up to the plate and build a big heavy b-body w/ a stock stroke 340 and come see me. Fact is $ for $ a BB will make more power and torque.
Oh and BTW I was being funny when I posted that mess so don't get to wound up.

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/17/11 03:34 AM

Quote:

So step up to the plate and build a big heavy b-body w/ a stock stroke 340 and come see me. Fact is $ for $ a BB will make more power and torque.

Bro, you haven't seen me thumpin my chest about a stock stroke 340 running 11s in a 3900# pig, so blow that on someone else. The best mine did was 11.64 in a 3240# Dart, pump 93 and a hydraulic cam.

It is actually apples to apples, just like the made up Chevy guy challenge I mentioned. Your asking someone to do something that can't be done. I shouldn't say it can't be done, it would take a ton of gear and a bunch of rpm.

Apples to onions would be your car running my Dart.

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/17/11 03:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So step up to the plate and build a big heavy b-body w/ a stock stroke 340 and come see me. Fact is $ for $ a BB will make more power and torque.

Bro, you haven't seen me thumpin my chest about a stock stroke 340 running 11s in a 3900# pig, so blow that on someone else. The best mine did was 11.64 in a 3240# Dart, pump 93 and a hydraulic cam.

It is actually apples to apples, just like the made up Chevy guy challenge I mentioned. Your asking someone to do something that can't be done.

Apples to onions would be your car running my Dart.

whoops try it this way,
so what's yer beef? Was it not said a SB would make more power even w/ iron heads? I made the point that the OP's BB would make more power. Then somebody decided to poke fun at me, no big deal, I poked back, then some other peole decide to take it all personal and all. If I had to choose between the 2, I'd use the BB, reguardless if it weighed a few more lbs.

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/17/11 03:42 AM

Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/19/11 06:45 AM

Well...I've actually weighed a couple of engines. My 499ci B engine with stage 6 heads and heavy Mopar intake, motor mounts, distributor, flexplate but no water pump housing (I don't use one) weighed right at 500 lbs. A dead stock '72 360 with iron manifolds (all 3), stock water pump, no distributor, flexplate or carb weighed 525 lbs. Adjust for the iron manifolds and the smallblock will be lighter but not a lot. Smallblock heads and intakes are heavy. I can also verify the smallblock bare block weight of around 160-165.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/19/11 04:02 PM

Run a Indy Maxx aluminum block, light and you can build a lot of cu in with it. Cu. In.=HP + less weight=more speed.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/19/11 05:35 PM

The scale reads 490 lbs for this big block.

Attached picture 6974383-490.jpg
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: small block vs. big block weight? - 12/19/11 06:17 PM

Quote:

The scale reads 490 lbs for this big block.

Does that include the cart?

I forgot to mention that my 499# 499ci B engine had a fluidamper and heavy BCR girdle on it but OE stamped steel valve covers.

It sounds like the iron-head smallblock will save a few pounds but cost a lot of displacement, port area, valve size, etc. You might be better off with the BB and some ballast over the rear axle.
© 2024 Moparts Forums