Moparts

B1-BS head?

Posted By: 604 Hemi GTX

B1-BS head? - 12/10/11 09:17 PM

What are you guys running for a valley plate with B1-BS heads? Indy valley cover or the one that Koffels offers. Can you run a B1 intake with these heads?
Thanks for any and all info
Kevin
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/10/11 10:00 PM

Quote:

Can you run a B1 intake with these heads?
Thanks for any and all info
Kevin

Yes and no...Koffel's angle milled and made bolt adapter plates to convert the orig. B1 intake to a 'low-port' head on an RB block. I have one...PM me if interested. It looks cool and works good. But I feel the Indy intake works better. I don't know anyone who's dynoed the 2 comparatively but, I'd bet the Indy is a bit better on the low-port head.
Posted By: 471b1dart

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/13/11 02:51 AM

I have a set of B1Bs heads with A B1 intake on my 470 with no adapter plates for the intake

Attached picture 6964300-randoms002.jpg
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/13/11 06:04 PM

home made 2 piece valley plate, homemade intake spacers, and lots of Moroso a/b epoxy in the intake runners. intake is also angle milled.
Posted By: Ari440

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/17/11 07:36 PM

any pics of these heads

are they like indy sr,s or 440-1s
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/17/11 07:43 PM

Wonder who's plate I have then? Its similar to Indy's but inverted..
The angle is milled upside down compared the Indy plate, so it bolts and pulls against the heads, instead of the heads capturing the cover like the Indy piece...
Havent used it before, but it seems like a great idea, easy removal for sure.
Posted By: BBLM23

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/17/11 08:00 PM

I have a 2-piece Bulldog plate that gets close enough to hold silicone. ARC made the one on the 493.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/17/11 08:36 PM

Quote:

Wonder who's plate I have then? Its similar to Indy's but inverted..
The angle is milled upside down compared the Indy plate, so it bolts and pulls against the heads, instead of the heads capturing the cover like the Indy piece...
Havent used it before, but it seems like a great idea, easy removal for sure.

Bob that may be one of Tom Hemphile's plates that he makes up. Here's a couple of pictures of the ones Tom made for my B1's.

Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/17/11 10:38 PM

wow those are nice...
Posted By: 604 Hemi GTX

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/17/11 10:44 PM

Quote:

wow those are nice...

I was just thinking the same thing.....were does a guy get one?

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/17/11 11:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

wow those are nice...

I was just thinking the same thing.....were does a guy get one?

I will send you a Pm as he is not a paid advertiser on Moparts.

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/18/11 03:56 PM

Quote:

any pics of these heads

I say more like SR's, mine had the standard port window. I eventually raised the roof to max wedge but I broke through a pushrod pinch before max wedge width. So I stopped the rest just short of my breakthrough dimension.
Posted By: Ari440

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/18/11 05:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

any pics of these heads

I say more like SR's, mine had the standard port window. I eventually raised the roof to max wedge but I broke through a pushrod pinch before max wedge width. So I stopped the rest just short of my breakthrough dimension.

what intake manifold are you using , any pics , thanks
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/18/11 06:43 PM

If they are the stock port size, you can use a stock valley pan/gasket. If they are ported out to max wedge size, I think you will need the machined valley pan?

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/18/11 08:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

any pics of these heads

B1...I'll post pics tomorrow. Engine is on the stand, tomorrow starts my Christmas vacation, you know what I'll be doing........

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/18/11 10:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

any pics of these heads

B1...I'll post pics tomorrow. Engine is on the stand, tomorrow starts my Christmas vacation, you know what I'll be doing........

Are we putting on our new set of B1's for next year?

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/19/11 03:05 PM

Probably not...unless I find a can of worms in there. Still gathering parts, you know, if you need new pistons then you could build a new short block, why not stroke it some more, aw heck aluminum rods and so on.....................

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/19/11 07:03 PM

ok here is some shots....

Attached picture 6974508-IMAG0016.jpg

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/19/11 07:05 PM

Attached picture 6974515-IMAG0017.jpg

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/19/11 07:06 PM

Attached picture 6974517-IMAG0018.jpg

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/19/11 07:11 PM

4 this the valley plate I made in reply to the OP. Since I am more of a stone mason instead of a machinist. I made a plate, cut it in two, pop riveted an overlapping strip to it, beveled the outside edges,drilled and tapped some holes made the mounting holes/slots very sloppy. Glue it up with grey RTV, loosly bolt down spread it apart so that it catches under rhe heads nice and tight then snug it down.

Attached picture 6974527-IMAG0019.jpg
Posted By: EchoSixMike

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/19/11 08:51 PM

BS's used to be a good deal, but if you're buying new rocker gear, why not go Victors? Seem to pick up a little cfm when both are ported and seem a little less money. S/F....Ken M

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/19/11 09:16 PM

I don't dispute, but the b1/bs, b1 has the best chamber for a flattop and hi-comp.

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/19/11 09:46 PM

Quote:

BS's used to be a good deal, but if you're buying new rocker gear, why not go Victors? Seem to pick up a little cfm when both are ported and seem a little less money. S/F....Ken M

There are probably alotta reasons to use Indy or Edlebrock, but the BS head is very good and has an excellent chamber as said. But personally I love the idea of supporting the Koffels... a legendary mopar family. And am proud to run their stuff..that means alot.
Posted By: EchoSixMike

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/20/11 12:49 PM

I can empathize, I don't use Indy for similar reasons. As for compression, when you buy the CNC ported BS's, when they relieve the chambers to unshroud the valves, you're at 75cc'ish, same as Victors.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be quite happy with a set of CNC'd BS's, if I could get them for less money than Victors. Maybe even the same money, IMO Brodix is a superior casting. I just can't see spending more money to get less flow. My B1 Originals are EFI, so no worrries about wet flow or vaccuum signal, but I can't afford that again, so I'm keeping port volume down. S/F.....Ken M

Re: B1-BS head? - 12/20/11 03:07 PM

I agree with what your saying too. I got mine way back in '00 and if the Performer RPM had been out i probably would've ended up with them! But the BSs were available so thats what we went with..my motor was a
street/strip 440...did'nt even port them. So I got into the B1 stuff from then on, put some Originals on my 540...

At first I lkied what i saw with the Indy stuff. But I'm glad i went with B1 now! I still belive Indy has some excellent stuff..the EZ heads were a great idea..and now they have the Predators. Their SB 360-1 series are great too. They have a crap-load of cool stuff...lol..but lousy customer service, IMO.
© 2024 Moparts Forums