Moparts

Mickey Thompson Sportsman Front

Posted By: 67Satty

Mickey Thompson Sportsman Front - 12/09/11 09:40 PM

Anyone use these on their street/strip car?

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street.php?item=SportsmanFront

How are they on the street? On the strip? Thanks.
Posted By: Blown 68 R/T

Re: Mickey Thompson Sportsman Front - 12/09/11 09:55 PM

I used them for last 13-14yrs. Used 8 ply due to running roots blower with 440 in a B-body. No problems with them, drove to track made passes & drove home.

Posted By: rickraw

Re: Mickey Thompson Sportsman Front - 12/09/11 09:58 PM

i have them. bought the 8 ply. handle good on the street. good on the strip too with wheelstands. they get flat spots after sitting for a while, but smooth out quickley. i put my ride on stands for the winter. stay safe, seeya.
Posted By: 68cuda2003

Re: Mickey Thompson Sportsman Front - 12/10/11 03:54 AM

Those of you that have used them, do you find the measurements are accurate? Specifically the height. Not trying to jack the thread, thought it might be a pertinent question.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Mickey Thompson Sportsman Front - 12/10/11 05:16 AM

i checked the circumference cold, 1/16" difference. seeya.
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Mickey Thompson Sportsman Front - 12/10/11 08:42 AM

I don't care for them. I bought several sets - both 4 and 8 ply - and ended up going to the 185/80/15 Radials. 8 ply rode like rocks. Tread is round like a motorcycle tire, so the center 2 tread would be gone with the rest of the tread fine. And no, it wasn't an alignment issue - radials wear fine. I ended up going to the radial fronts and Drag Radials and love the ride and handling.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Mickey Thompson Sportsman Front - 12/10/11 01:04 PM

I have a set in the garage.Bought them almost new.Had them on the 65 and it was all over the road.Even at the track it was a nightmare.I had the alingment set close to factory with them.Put them on my kids 62 300 and the same thing.Put 165 15 Radials on my 65 and it was great.Redid the alingment later for more caster.My kid ran them for 2 days then put his radials back on.Ill never even think of using them again.Rocky
Posted By: 2734bbl

Re: Mickey Thompson Sportsman Front - 12/12/11 06:40 PM

Quote:

Those of you that have used them, do you find the measurements are accurate? Specifically the height. Not trying to jack the thread, thought it might be a pertinent question.

Mine say 26 on the side but measure out to 24.5. About the same size as a 165/15 radial.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Mickey Thompson Sportsman Front - 12/13/11 02:30 PM

I have the 28" tall ones on my cuda. Even though they aren't 8 ply, they are fine on my 3800# nose heavy hemicuda. Had em on my car for several years.
165R15 radials do ride and drive a lot better, but I need the tall tire for ground clearance and looks. Short tires up front look like crap to me.
© 2024 Moparts Forums