Moparts

1996 Dodge pickup with tach

Posted By: 1970GTX

1996 Dodge pickup with tach - 08/29/23 07:32 PM

My 96 Ram 1500 318 4wd auto wont fire. It cranks and does one fire, then just cranks.
I hear the fuel pump coming on and smell gas when it tries to fire.
I'll check for spark next, but I want to eliminate the crank position sensor if I do have spark.

So my question is, On a 96, does the tach show something when you are cranking the engine over, I know the later models do. My is showing nothing on the tach.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: 1996 Dodge pickup with tach - 08/29/23 07:41 PM

What are the codes?

Re: 1996 Dodge pickup with tach - 08/30/23 01:46 PM

good idea, i'll check.

Re: 1996 Dodge pickup with tach - 08/31/23 03:44 AM

Only code I got was a 12.
The battery was low when I first tried starting it, so I think that's why it threw that one.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: 1996 Dodge pickup with tach - 08/31/23 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1970GTX
Only code I got was a 12.
The battery was low when I first tried starting it, so I think that's why it threw that one.

96 is OBD2 and should show P codes on a scanner. The plug is on the dash lip below the steering column. What scanner are you using?
Posted By: poorboy

Re: 1996 Dodge pickup with tach - 08/31/23 08:13 PM

The key on, off, on thing doesn't work well after about the 92- 93 model year.

Re: 1996 Dodge pickup with tach - 09/01/23 03:01 AM

I thought it was ODB1. I used the check engine light flashes.

I found the scan port. I'll plug in Saturday when I have time.

I use a bluetooth scanner with apps "Car scanner" and "Torque"

Posted By: Moparite

Re: 1996 Dodge pickup with tach - 09/02/23 01:15 PM

It cranks and does one fire

Does this mean it will fire up and stall?
Did you try keeping your foot on the gas?

So my question is, On a 96, does the tach show something when you are cranking the engine over,

No, Tach moved when starting was with the can buss dash which was in 97 or 98.

Actually the "key dance" started back in the 80's and continued till past 2000. There are different procedures but this will work on a 96. Even if you don't have any codes you will see a 55 code.

Re: 1996 Dodge pickup with tach - 09/03/23 10:05 PM

Plugged my OBD2 scanner in.
No codes with the key on or trying to start it.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: 1996 Dodge pickup with tach - 09/03/23 10:19 PM

At this point I would start with checking if there is voltage coming into the throttle position switch, and power to the cam sensor on the back of the head on the right side. The power source for both is supplied by the key on power, and if the wiring fails, it doesn't usually set off a code.

I have not heard of issues with the wiring on the full sized trucks, but there sure was an issue with that era Dakota with a factory wire splice near the battery that supplies the power for both sensors, and there have been other issues with factory wiring connections on a lot of this era Mopars. I might be such a thing as the wiring issues have caught up with the full sized trucks as time passes.

Re: 1996 Dodge pickup with tach - 09/04/23 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Moparite
It cranks and does one fire

Does this mean it will fire up and stall?
Did you try keeping your foot on the gas?

It doesn't fire but sounds like it wants to.
I never put my foot on the gas with any injection vehicles. I heard it was a big nono. I can try it though.

So my question is, On a 96, does the tach show something when you are cranking the engine over,

No, Tach moved when starting was with the can buss dash which was in 97 or 98.

Ok, that eliminates that "problem" good info to know in the future. Thank you.

Actually the "key dance" started back in the 80's and continued till past 2000. There are different procedures but this will work on a 96. Even if you don't have any codes you will see a 55 code.

I saw 12, then 55. I believe 12 is battery disconnected, or low battery voltage in my case since the battery was low from sitting for a month.

Re: 1996 Dodge pickup with tach - 09/04/23 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by poorboy
At this point I would start with checking if there is voltage coming into the throttle position switch, and power to the cam sensor on the back of the head on the right side. The power source for both is supplied by the key on power, and if the wiring fails, it doesn't usually set off a code.

I have not heard of issues with the wiring on the full sized trucks, but there sure was an issue with that era Dakota with a factory wire splice near the battery that supplies the power for both sensors, and there have been other issues with factory wiring connections on a lot of this era Mopars. I might be such a thing as the wiring issues have caught up with the full sized trucks as time passes.

I see the TPS on my scanner, and it detects the pedal when I press it.

I can check the cam sensor. Thanks

Re: 1996 Dodge pickup with tach - 09/05/23 05:03 PM

I have spark at the coil. I'm going to check/change the cap and rotor next.

Re: 1996 Dodge pickup with tach - 09/12/23 09:59 PM

OK, replaced the cap which had corroded contacts, still wouldn't start.

So as per Moparite's advice, I held the pedal to the floor and viola, it started.

Let it warm up.

Shut it off and it wont start unless I hold the pedal to the floor.

So it looks like something with one of the throttle body sensors. Much easier to work on than the distributor. :-)
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: 1996 Dodge pickup with tach - 09/12/23 10:08 PM

Sounds like...IAC motor, clean and or replace.

Re: 1996 Dodge pickup with tach - 09/14/23 05:48 AM

Yup, My next step.
© 2024 Moparts Forums