Moparts

Speaking of Steering Boxes

Posted By: OrangeProwler

Speaking of Steering Boxes - 10/04/22 03:42 PM

Thinking of overhauling/rebuilding the steering box in my two wheel drive 1979 Dodge D-Series. Just wondering if anyone here has attempted this themselves? Looking for any tips, hints, or any other information available. Any good videos out there? I know the steering box is a Saginaw Unit (GM style) box with maybe some differences? Thank you in advance.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Speaking of Steering Boxes - 10/04/22 04:36 PM

I’m all ears on this myself, rebuilt box is $300 kit should be much less
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Speaking of Steering Boxes - 10/04/22 09:53 PM

Is the same Saginaw 808 box as Chevy. That is all that I have.
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Speaking of Steering Boxes - 10/04/22 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by cudaman1969
I’m all ears on this myself, rebuilt box is $300 kit should be much less

145.00 at Autozone.
https://www.autozone.com/suspension...last-power-steering-gear-7515/858779_0_0

Re: Speaking of Steering Boxes - 10/05/22 04:36 PM

Thank you everyone. I think I'll still try to rebuild it myself. Some other builders have the box even priced more plus shipping. On the flip side of that some of the builder's quality has also slipped from what I've read recently as well. I also realize some builders use an oversized bearings which I don't think I would need for my application anyways for something that cruises around these days. Thank you all again.
Posted By: volaredon

Re: Speaking of Steering Boxes - 10/07/22 05:29 PM

If your issue is just seals those are easy especially the pitman arm side. I have been any further inside a steering box since jr college auto shop days, back about 35 years ago.
Adjusting the play out of one is also easy without a rebuild/ just don't overdo it.

Re: Speaking of Steering Boxes - 10/07/22 11:52 PM

Thank you.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Speaking of Steering Boxes - 10/08/22 12:49 AM

Unless you are replacing worn parts you technically aren't rebuilding it, you are just resealing it and adjusting it. If it isn't leaking just adjust it. The trick is adjusting it at center position which may not be when the wheels are straight.

Re: Speaking of Steering Boxes - 10/08/22 09:14 PM

If there is any worn parts I would consider replacing them or if it's good insurance just a replace the bearings in there since it has see 130k miles of use. Mainly I would like to reseal it at a minimum and repaint/refinish.

Re: Speaking of Steering Boxes - 10/11/22 03:28 PM

Is there a brand of kit that's better than the other? I see Gates and Edelmann brands floating around. Just wasn't sure if one is better than the other? Thank you in advance again.
© 2024 Moparts Forums