Moparts

Dakota long tube headers

Posted By: 69DodgeGTS

Dakota long tube headers - 09/23/22 03:37 PM

Is there any long 4 into 1 headers for 97-03 Dakota 5.9 out there?
Posted By: A990

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 09/23/22 07:48 PM

You might give John Mercedes a try at Southeast performance a call. He had S&S manufacture a run for him.
They fit really well, but are difficult to install.

SE Performance
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 09/24/22 04:29 PM

i ran hooker supercomp's on my shelby dakota. easy fit, just had to drop the starter to get the drivers side in.
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 09/24/22 08:48 PM

I have the hooker full length on my 91 dakota sport. I just wish hooker would make them in sizes bigger than 1-5/8 tube. I wonder how much different there is between the engine compartments from the first gen to the second gen dakota
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 09/25/22 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by mopar65
I have the hooker full length on my 91 dakota sport. I just wish hooker would make them in sizes bigger than 1-5/8 tube. I wonder how much different there is between the engine compartments from the first gen to the second gen dakota

Technically, the 91 is the 2nd gen Dakota. The 88-90 have a straight front bumper because a V6 was the only option. 91-96 is the 2nd gen, the front bumper curves outward in the center to give more clearance for the V8 option. The 97-03 (?) is the 3rd gen. Can't tell you if there was more side space between the motor & the frame, but the wheel track is 2" wider on the 97 and newer.

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 09/26/22 12:48 PM

The 3rd gen trucks are packaged much tighter than what few earlier ones I've seen
To install the long tubes require both motor mounts to be removed so you can slightly tilt the engine. Also the steering shaft mus be unhooked from the rack.
The biggest PITA is that the DS set blocks the starter and the trans band adjustment bolt.
They also must be installed from underneath, so the truck must be jacked really high. Sadly I lost the install pics I took
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 09/26/22 03:13 PM

MP had some for the R/T Dakota's when they were new but probably hard to find now....... work

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 09/26/22 10:37 PM

THANKS A990 !!

I called and they partnered with TTI to make 1 3/4 long tubes for Dakota and Durango 2-wheel drives. Says they used a 99 R/T as a platform, and these came out perfect. There is a write up at www.facebook.com/southeastrt

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 09/26/22 11:21 PM

Some more details:

These are equal length with 4-2-1 collectors that are slip fit
The PS has a slip fit tube, I have considered using a sleeve clamp here to guarantee no leaks
If I were to do it again, I would buy them uncoated, work out your install method to identify ways to minimize scratching up the coating
At this step you may want to heat the tubes to gain socket clearance on the header bolts
Your truck will demand increased amount of blood to get this project completed.
Enjoy your new found curse words.

The MP R/T headers were mid-length. I think they were the Spin-Tech brand.
There also were shorty headers called Stan's

If you have questions, feel free to ask

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 09/27/22 09:12 PM

I asked about the past headers and their slip fits. That's history, these were an entirely new design and custom built on a 99 Dakota R/T. Nothing of the older prior headers was used to make these. The owner that loaned his R/T for the build says all is a perfect fit and no issues. I think we can forget the first S&S headers, dead and gone. Here some pics.

Attached picture P1010053.JPG
Attached picture P1010053.JPG
Attached picture image0000003.jpg

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 09/27/22 10:31 PM

Looks nice. You have a pic of the driver side set?

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 09/28/22 03:30 PM

I'm on the list for a set on my 97. You can see they made an entirely different header than the first released back at S&S you mention. They said a list of problem areas from the first headers was sent during the build and to clear those up. I.E. no slip fits. I think these are going to be a good thing, and long tube installs were never a fun deal. But It's what you get when your done that matters. More pictures are at Dakota-Durango and www.facebook.com/southeastrt

Attached picture image0000006.jpg
Attached picture image0000002.jpg
Attached picture image0000007.jpg
Attached picture image0000001.jpg

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 09/28/22 06:46 PM

How long is the wait?

I found after pics that shows how you will need to change filters. You can't drop the filter out the bottom.
Looking at your picture 3, the steering shaft boot may get melted being so close to the tube. I wish I would have put a clearance dimple there

Attached picture slipfit.jpg

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 09/28/22 08:02 PM

Something different on your pic. That's a solid header flange and pipes look a lot bigger. The headers being released different at flange and other.

Attached picture P1010055.JPG

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 10/01/22 01:10 AM

Results: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...ZlpkeG96MF9GbjE4Y2FjRUs4cWlRcXZndTdNUGJR

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 10/11/22 06:07 PM

Pic's

Attached picture PXL_20221010_210324859 (002).jpg

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 10/12/22 07:32 PM

Those look purdy, When are going to install them?

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 10/13/22 09:03 PM

Walking a fine line right now, will have to hold off a few weeks. Leaving town for anniversary so have to dedicate the time other places.

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 10/18/22 01:35 PM

Wow those look nice. Wish they made a set of them that would fit my 91 sport

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 10/20/22 01:37 PM

Has anyone ever checked the differences of the 91 to a 97? Engines measure same so it's about the engine compartment, steering, frame and trans differences it would seem.

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 11/06/22 09:48 PM

Pictures on 408 with installed video.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...ZlpkeG96MF9GbjE4Y2FjRUs4cWlRcXZndTdNUGJR

Attached picture Brian headers (2).jpg
Attached picture brian headers2 (2).jpg

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 02/08/23 07:01 PM

Andrew Middleton
Nice quality work here fellas and in all honesty these headers really woke my trucks engine up you can feel the difference in the torque at the stomp of the pedal, I love them đź’Ż
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 02/09/23 02:28 AM

How about price? Seems to be taboo to mention. I'm guessing around $1,300?

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 02/12/23 04:25 PM

It might help by understanding what dealers and distributers are held to by the manufacturers setting pricing rules.

MAP is the “minimum advertised price” for a product, as established by the brand. Any public posted pricing is controlled by the manufacturers. The minimum advertised price is technically not the lowest price a retailer can sell a given product for—it’s just the lowest price they can publicly display.

So, it would be in your best interest to contact the people selling the headers or certain parts directly for more information.

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 02/13/23 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by 69DodgeGTS
It might help by understanding what dealers and distributers are held to by the manufacturers setting pricing rules.

MAP is the “minimum advertised price” for a product, as established by the brand. Any public posted pricing is controlled by the manufacturers. The minimum advertised price is technically not the lowest price a retailer can sell a given product for—it’s just the lowest price they can publicly display.

So, it would be in your best interest to contact the people selling the headers or certain parts directly for more information.

Understood.

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 02/14/23 02:39 PM

I have a 1995 Dakota so my application is wrong but If I could run these headers Id put down my money instantly.

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 02/14/23 06:57 PM

Is your truck a torsion bar or coil setup?
These headers run pretty tight to the block, and may be worth looking into because your truck has a lot more open space in the engine bay.
YEARS ago I chatted with John Mercedes about these, and he thought they might even fit an early A body without to much reworking.

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 02/14/23 09:32 PM

Ours have coil springs. The drivers side header looks close to the same as the hooker long tubes I have on my 91 sport. But the passenger side looks very different than mine. If they are $1300 that might not be to bad a price. I paid I think $840 for the coated long tube hooker and they are only 1-5/8. Also if you get these headers or like the ones I got. The hoooker black hart transmission cross member will work on the 87-96 dakota 2 wheel drive. Hooker made it for putting a gen 3 hemi in the truck. But all I has to do is redrill 2 holes on the drivers side and every thing fits great. I changed the cross member si I could have a true dual exhaust. With the factory one the hooker collector's were only about a inch away from the cross member.if anybody wants to see. I can post some pictures latter of the set up on my dakota.

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 02/14/23 09:37 PM

Here is what the hookers look like and what they cost now. I am not trying to push the hooker headers on anybody. Just trying to show the difference . I would like to have the 1-3/4 set for my 91.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...hxwGGG6sWQshXKDJ18AznEeQ2fhoC1QwQAvD_BwE

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 02/19/23 10:57 PM

To bad they don't offer a larger pipe diameter for todays higher power engine builds and adders in those 91 up trucks. Costs on these new headers are cheaper than the Hookers in plain but coatings brings them up in near same area as Hookers. Your getting a lot more header and capability for the money with these new ones. Hey, if you had a newer Dakota nearby to check the space it might be something doable.

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 02/20/23 03:21 PM

Here is what the hookers look like and what they cost now. I am not trying to push the hooker headers on anybody. Just trying to show the difference . I would like to have the 1-3/4 set for my 91.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...hxwGGG6sWQshXKDJ18AznEeQ2fhoC1QwQAvD_BwE

Thanks for the link. Its just a shame that for the price of the Hookers they are not made with super beefy steel like TTI or Dougs. But its for Mopar. Beggars cant be choosers.

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 02/20/23 03:36 PM

Ours have coil springs. The drivers side header looks close to the same as the hooker long tubes I have on my 91 sport. But the passenger side looks very different than mine. If they are $1300 that might not be to bad a price. I paid I think $840 for the coated long tube hooker and they are only 1-5/8. Also if you get these headers or like the ones I got. The hoooker black hart transmission cross member will work on the 87-96 dakota 2 wheel drive. Hooker made it for putting a gen 3 hemi in the truck. But all I has to do is redrill 2 holes on the drivers side and every thing fits great. I changed the cross member si I could have a true dual exhaust. With the factory one the hooker collector's were only about a inch away from the cross member.if anybody wants to see. I can post some pictures latter of the set up on my dakota.

Is this the crossmember your are referring to?

https://www.cspracing.com/hooker-bhs542-blackheart-transmission-crossmember/hkr-bhs542/

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 03/07/23 03:16 PM

mopar65 I have sent you a private message asking about the crossmember.

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 03/10/23 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by 2boltmain
mopar65 I have sent you a private message asking

about the crossmember.

Hi sorry for the delay. I sent you a pm back with the link to the one I used. I will make a new post on here showing the crossmember installed on my truck
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 03/10/23 03:57 PM

My Son's 99 Dakota 4x4 has Hooker headers on it with a 360. They fit great. Didn't have to dig a single tube. I just rebuilt the 360 last summer.

Attached picture photo1.jpeg
Attached picture photo0.jpeg
Attached picture 20220624_142109.jpg

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 03/10/23 07:11 PM

Cool looking engine. You are useing the hooker long tube headers?

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 03/10/23 08:46 PM

Yes, I thought they would be more visible in the pictures but it looks like they are difficult to see in the picture.

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 03/10/23 08:48 PM

This one shows them from the front just before we bolted them up.

Attached picture 20220624_142100.jpg

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 05/27/23 05:32 PM

Something must be good about these headers. There are only two sets of plain raw headers and one set of coated remaining out of this second alottment.

Might not be anymore made because they have to buy them in large alottments so if not enough people involved they can't build.

Re: Dakota long tube headers - 07/01/23 07:53 PM

These long tube Dakota R/T headers are great. Can't post video's here but to see and hear go to www.facebook.com/southeastrt

Attached picture IMG_4476.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0272.jpg
Attached picture IMG_4270.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums